Lord Chesterfield Ale - Yuengling Brewery

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 809 | Reviews: 295

Bah ..animal food trough water like the rest of yuenglings
Yawn

3.77/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ah, sought this out for a while. Not available in Wi, I picked his up in Dayton, Oh. Nice old school label. I've liked all the styles Yuengling produces, lets check this out.

Poured into a old english ale style mug. Poured a nice deep gold. Lacing clings. the aroma, well, skunky, like a foriegn brew. Slight metallic, not promising.

Taste, bitter, dry, hops, all in one shot. Slighty metallic, but refreshing. A mild hoppy session ale. This could be the all day ale for this lager man. I like this one! Great for a hot day. Similar to the S.N. pale ale takin down a couple notches. Something about the dryness makes this a real thirst quencher. Consistent to the last drop. No sweetness. Wonder what this is like on tap. Dang, gonna have to make a trip back out east.

All hail Lord Chesterfield.

1.42/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This is one of the worst beers I have ever had. It tasted terrible and I couldn't even finish one bottle of it.

If you don't like this beer, you're not from Schuylkill county. Nothing beats a ice cold chetty

3.28/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This actually drinks alot like a Heineken to me. Super skunky, although crisp and refeshing. More lager-like than ale. This would go great with some popcorn. Still doesn't beat Traditional Lager, which is Yuengling's best offering.

3.9/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Good and crisp ale. Yuengling knows their beer.

3.63/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Along with Ballantine Ale, this was one of my go-to beers before I discovered craft. Better than lager.

3.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clean and crisp, exceeded expectations

2.17/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Taste was not on point.

3.04/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden, copper color with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that almost completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic with lots of bready, toasted malt aromas, co-mingled with lots of corn and rice-like adjunct aromas, which imparts some slightly vinegary aromas.

Taste: Very similar, if not exactly like the aroma. Bready, toasted malt flavors up front, followed by lots of corn and rice-like adjunct flavors, which gives the beer a slight vinegar-like taste. There is some caramel-like sweetness as well, and a touch of floral, piney, hoppy bitterness at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium/thin and pretty effervescent as there is quite a bit of carbonation on the palate. With an ABV of 5.4%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: Like all of Yuengling’ s beers, this one is an ok, inoffensive, easy to drink, but totally forgettable beer. Better than a BMC beer, but there are some may other better beers out there. In fact I’d much rather have a Yuengling Traditional Lager over this one, and I’d certainly much rather have a Yuengling Porter or Oktoberfest over this one.

1.48/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Drinking this from the bottle because I've poured it in a mug and it does it NO favors. It all starts with the green bottle(I should have known this was going to be unimpressive). Its golden with a thin white head that is lackluster at best. A little lace is surprising. Smells like wet straw. This beer is so thin and has a harshly carbonated feel that just isn't appealing to the tongue. Tastes like Alka-seltzer. This beer is funky with a horrible after taste. When it warms it gets remarkably worse. Pass on this one.

Not a fan of this beer .

1.87/5  rDev -36%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.5

Nose reminiscent of your standard American Adjunct Lager... taste not too far off.

2.25/5  rDev -22.9%

It's better than the lager!

2.28/5  rDev -21.9%

A so/so ale...average taste....nothing special.

3.37/5  rDev +15.4%

Straw colored. Light bodied. Crisp and clean with a dry hoppy finish.

This offering is not a true pale ale but it is definitely a couple steps above the average AAL.

3.11/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This ale has been around a long time. It's the brew I used to break in my girlfriend to the taste of more hops than the standard domestics she liked when she chose beer over wine. She graduated and is now the Queen of Hoppy. (Now I'm working to get her off that and onto more complex stuff).

You don't buy Chetty Ale instead of a nice craft Pale Ale, IPA or Belgium. You buy Chetty instead of Budweiser.

3.75/5  rDev +28.4%

A. Slightly cloudy golden, off-white head
S. Slightly "bread-like" yeasty smell
T. More of a Pilsner lager flavor than an ale
M. Well rounded, pleasant if "glassy" aftertaste
O. Suggest you do a blind taste test of this vs. a (cheap) European Pilsner - you may be surprised at the results. Forget the reputation, this is a good beer for an American large producer.

3.88/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to pint glass

A: Clear, Deep Golden, Small off-white head.
S: Smell of their traditional lager with a bit more hops.
T: The hops aren't as much of a piney, citrus flavor as they have more of a spicy flavor. Probably of the noble variety. The hops are very light. Toasted malt also peeks through.
M: Light, slightly creamy. Crisp finish and high drinkability.
O: A decent offering by Yuengling, and a decent bang for your buck at $7 a sixer. If you want to buy a cheap beer for a night out with some friends, this would be good for that. If you want to give yourself a treat, save a couple more bucks and get a six-pack of something a bit better.

4.75/5  rDev +62.7%

Can't beat this beer for the price, and I think it's the best beer yuengling makes. Golden in color, Decent amount of hoppiness to it for the abv's. Keeps it's head for a good amount of time. Leaves some lacing around the glass as well. Poured in my dogfish head glass to reveal all its hop character, and to maintain a head all the way through while drinking. Very drinkable. Like I said, for the price you can't beat it's flavor and character. Nothing wrong with this beer.

2.75/5  rDev -5.8%

For many years this was my beer of choice, nice n dry n hoppy, and economical - but that's before the Craft Beer Movement got going and now that I have tasted so, so many superb Pale Ales I would just not be able to go back to this one, sadly. (Feel like I'm letting down an old friend). The thing I mostly don't like about Chesterfield is it has a peculiar, not-too-great aftertaste.

3.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Picked up a 6 pack of bottles of this today...
Poured a nice big head that quickly dissipated leaving a thin little foam layer on top. The aroma gave off some very hoppy characteristics. The color is a very clear light gold with a lot of bubbles rising up.
Now the taste surprised me. I was honestly expecting nothing good from this due to the reviews on here. But man oh man, I think i found a new go to. It's a pretty strong brew at 5.4%, cheap in my area 9.99 for a 12 pack i think. The Traditional Lager is praised for its smooth sweetness, but Lord Chesterfield Ale packs a completely different and bitter bunch.
I'm giving it a 3.25 because it's much better than I expected, not the best thing in the world. But all things considered you get more than you pay for with this ale. May be my go-to budget brew for a few weeks.

3.52/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

For some reason I enjoy a cold, fresh Chestie.

Although classified as an APA to me it has qualities of a pilsner. I've drank this beer as my "everyday ale" for many years and would have to say most everyone else would agree with the Bros reviews.

I suggest staying away from the bottles and sticking with a very cold can.

3.03/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

If you can get over the cork sniffery and the weird mustard color, this is an ok beer.
kinda carby and a bit of corn in the flavor... but it has a grain body to it and there are certainly a bit of decent hops in there. I'm giving this an OK reveiw.... It isn't going to catch the beer world on fire...
It OK and I"m about to enjoy a second one... and yes I have some Omegang and bells withing reach...

3.37/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer was not too bad. I could taste the bitterness in it, I also could taste the malts that it had in it as well. I do have to say that I liked the sweetness that this beer has. It was not my favorite beer, but like I said ir was not all that bad.

to view more.