Yuengling Premium Light Beer - Yuengling Brewery

poor

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Light Lager |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-22-2002)

1.25/5  rDev -54.2%

1.25/5  rDev -54.2%

1.44/5  rDev -47.3%

1.7/5  rDev -37.7%

I have been drinking such great beers recently that I thought it about time to bring my senses back into focus. I had a feeling that a cheap light lager would do the trick. I do not normally drink light lagers, because I believe that finding a really quality light lager that I would enjoy would be a difficult task. I believe equally that making a tasty light beer is a difficult task, considering that one of the main goals is to eliminate excessive calories, which is normally not a concern of the great brewers out there. So, I picked up two light beers (Bud Light for comparison) tonight and tried Yuengling Light Beer for the first time from a 12 oz. bottle, which I poured into a pilsener glass. No freshness date.

A: I was not impressed by the look of the beer. The straight up yellow body was capped by a medium-sized fizzy white head which dissipated almost instantly to a thin, thin lace at the edge of the beer. No lacework. To its credit however, it did display some attractive carbonation.

S: The smell is dominated by a cooked corn aroma. There is no chance of smelling hops in the bouquet. There is a somewhat faint buttery smell. The smell of this beer equals cheap ingredients in my mind.

T: I was surprised by how little flavor there is to this beer. Can one rate a beer's flavor if there is none? Honest to God, if you swallow this beer without letting it linger on the tongue, it feels like you are drinking shitty sparkling mineral water. If you do let it linger (which you may or may not regret), you will experience some light sourness and this astringent flavor. It seems impossible to find either malt or hop character in this drink.

M: The mouthfeel wouldn't have been so bad were it not for the awful stale feeling it leaves in the mouth after the swallow. Otherwise, the beer is light bodied with active fizzy carbonation.

D: Easy to drink? Not so much. I hated the "taste" (I think water has a lot more flavor) and I would never have a second one. It is not the styles fault...this was just a bad job. While I am wary about trying this again, I wonder if there was something wrong with the bottle, because I cannot explain why this beer gets such high ratings on BA.

1.9/5  rDev -30.4%

Yuengling is a pretty decent brewery, but Premium Light would have to be their lowest offering. I think their Premium line was created to put them in contention with the big 3 and it shows. The regular Yuengling Premium reminded me of Bud, and the light version I believe is on par with Coors Light.

Premium Light pours a bright straw color with a one-finger foam that disappears in about half a minute, leaving some soapy remnants. I instantly associated the smell with Lone Star beer: heavy on burnt corn with some DMS. The mouthfeel is certainly watery, with seltzer/soapy qualities. The initial taste had that Lone Star resemblance as well: burnt corn with a touch of sweetness. Elsewhere on the palette, the beer is extremely watery. The corn and grain tastes barely make their way through the massive watery "flavor". There is a minute amount of hop bitterness in the finish. This beer has about as close to no aftertaste as you could get, if not for a hint of grain and corn, and no alcoholic warmth as well.

This is in contention with Coors Light and Stroh's Light as the most watery beer I have had. Of course I am no fan of light beers in the first place, but I would take Yuengling Light Lager (the light version of Yuengling Traditional Lager) over this. I can't recommend Yuengling Premium Light.

Yuengling Premium Light Beer from Yuengling Brewery