Yuengling Light Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Pennsylvania, United States

Light Lager |  3.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-22-2002

1.36/5  rDev -53.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is BEER? I know the rules say not to slam a beer, but I don't think this qualified as beer. (Maybe I got a hold of a bottle from a lousy batch.) Color is typical straw-yellow. Aroma is weak and unimpressive. Taste is very thin, more like water than beer. It reminds me of the quip that light beers are like doing gymnastics on the beach - flipping close to water. (368 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -51.2%

Appearance - For a light beer I was shocked to find it had an amber color. I was expecting it to be completely gross in color. It had a medium head that vanished as quick as it appeared with absolutly no lacing. Not great.

Smell - Faint hops and malt. Smell is very weak, but it isn't repulsive.

Taste - It has an initial shock of stomach acid followed by a weak aftertaste typical of rice beer. The very high carbonation numbs the tongue, probably to dull the flavor a bit. I can't imagine how gross this would be closer to room temperature. This is bad.

Mouthfeel - This feels thinner than water. I know it doesn't make much sense, but it feels thinner than water. The carbonation stings my whole mouth and numbs the tongue, but considering the flavor, it's needed.

Drinkability - I don't want this again, ever. I could use it as a session beer, but at 2.75 abv, I might as well put a drop of Kirschwasser in a big glass of water. That would taste like water and get the same alcohol in my system. Since the carbonation numbs your mouth, it could be eaten with bad food. Some one could serve it at their dinner party to conceal the fact that their cooking tastes terrible. Other than that, this is best left on the shelves. (1,237 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to CrazyMacHarris.

Pours a surprisingly amber-ish gold. Big white foam head. Not a bad appearance, really.

Smells bad. Maybe a bit of crisp earthiness, but mostly rotten foliage. Familiar corn-y adjunct aroma.

Just a foul tasting brew. I was hoping this might be a light lager I enjoy, but alas, twas not to be. Thin, watery, rancid. Avoid. (351 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -39.9%

Prefer the normal yuengling lager, this light beer had no taste really. I dont like any light beers but I would prefer one of the big 3 over this one. The aroma was alright the appearance was a light bright color but the taste wasn't that good. Didn't apprecaite the aftertaste either. I believe I can get the same quality of this beer at a lower price as well. (361 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -39.9%

I found this sitting in my beer cabinet the other day, and puzzled over it for a bit. Why would I have purchased this? Then I remembered that I got it in a trade. With a BA who shall remain nameless (though I've got a nice bottle of Dixie White Moose waiting for him if we ever trade again!).

Clear, copper, and undercarbonated, with a few splotches of bubbles gathered on the top in lieu of a head. Smells....grainy, I guess, with a weak hint of caramel malt. But who the hell designs light lagers to be sniffed?

The taste is not impressive. There's a light breadiness to the body, but it is very watered down. I don't detect any hops in the vicinity -- the beer just sort of ends, mid-palate.

The lack of bitterness and carbonation renders this a bit too sticky in the mouth to be refreshing, and it's certainly too lacking in flavor to be interesting.

This is really an utterly worthless beer. I mean, what's the point of it being low in calories if you don't get *some* pleasure out of it? You're certainly not going to get a buzz at 2.7% ABV. I can give you a good ass-kicking that will be low in calories too, you might even bleed a ounces off. Is this a selling point?? (1,191 characters)

12 Oz. Bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a golden honey color. Finger size head that quickly retreats.

S: Straight barley. Can't detect much else going on here.

T: Barley, corn, and water. Mostly the latter two- pretty weak stuff here.

M: Carbonated when it first hits your mouth, but then it dies quickly. Smooth, but not necessarily in a pleasant way.

O: This was my second or third time having it- maybe it's because I was paying more attention this time around, but pretty disappointed and a lot less flavor than I remembered. Even if I had a long night of drinking ahead of me I would go with Yuengling Heavy over this. (629 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -38.8%

If for some reason you want to drink this beer, buy a case of the regular lager and 24 empty bottles. Proceed to pour half of each lager into an empty bottle and fill the rest up with water. Now you have two cases! Now the final step is to send me your leftover money. Beermail me and I'll give you an address. (310 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -38.5%

Awful.

Ordered one of these out of sheer curiosity with a Philly cheesesteak during my first trip out to Philadelphia. It poured with a decent color and carbonation seemed ok.

I smelled it, or at least tried to. This beer just didn't smell like anything at all except for maybe a hint of wet horse blanket. I tasted it and much to my surprise - I found a beer worse than Miller, Bud or Coors! This beer literally tastes like rotten well-water.

Philly town has plenty of other great micros. Turn this one down. (520 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -38.5%

I ended up at a cookout this evening, and there was nothing available to drink other than four kinds of macro-swill, Yuengling Light being one of the domestic varieties (along with Budweiser). The imported swills included Corona and Konigsburg. Instead of leaving and embarrasing my family, I took this as an opportunity to try some beers I had not had in over two years. I wish I had just left. I drank this straight out of the bottle, so I had no real sense of its appearance, but if the smell and taste were any indication, it would be weak. There was no aroma to speak of and taste was bland at best. In simplest term, this brew is worthless. (646 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Bought this initially by mistake thinking it was Yuengling Lager, taste wasnt that bad and not far off from the regular lager, color was pretty light and well carbonated. Smelt kind of funky though, like it was left sitting for a little while. (243 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -37.1%

A: Thin clear yellow with minimal head.

S: Some faint adjunct malts... slightly sour. That's about all I can detect.

T: Blech. Adjunct malts with an artificial yeast sourness mixed with an even more artificial hoppiness. Rounded out with cooked veggies and a medicinal taste.

M: Thin, even for a lager, but crisp.

D: I'll take the caloric hit and take the regular Yuengling. At least it's palatable. (405 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -37.1%

I would not have purchased "Light" but it came in a variety case.
Ap. Looks like beer. Thin gold color with no head or lacing. Zero.
Sm. Kind of medicine, grainy.
Ta. Flat grainy taste, maybe rice, maybe not.
Mf. Thin, flat, watery.
Dr. I like water better. I finished it because I'm cheap and won't waste it. (309 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -36.4%

Light amber color, clear liquid with a soda-pop white head. It probably looks better than most light beers, but it’s not perfectly enticing. Faint malt aroma. Taste is grain-like and very dry. Not much hops, and certainly not bitter. Average to high carbonation. This is a middle-of-the road light beer. Notably pointless. (323 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -36.1%

12 oz bottle pours a clear, medium gold body with a one finger offwhite head that quickly dwindles to a thin wisp of collar. Aroma is nearly void, so I can't rate it as awful. Some faint grainess is barely noticed. Mouthfeel is very light bodied, with lots of crisp carbonation. Taste is watery and fizzy. Slight notes of caramel malt are easily balanced by subdued hops bitterness. Clean finish and aftertaste make this a decent "lawnmower" beer, but I don't see any point in trying this one again. (499 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -33.7%

A - The bright shinny copper color of this brew is vibrant and pretty, but the head is almost non-existent! This is the color of a good lowland scotch...like heather and honey.

S - Caramel and mineral notes with a touch of honey and butter. This isn't assertive, but for a light lager...this is a great nose.

T- Again, caramel and mineral water. This is pretty weak in the flavor department, but what flavors are there are really pretty decent.

M - Extremely thin and watery with a shit-ton of carbonation. Standard fare for the style, but this is especially thin.

D - Now I know why this is so damn thin and watery! There is barely any booze in this damn beer! 2.7%? You've gotta be kidding me. Even though this is a relatively cheap beer, catching a buzz on this soda pop could be expensive. (797 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -32.6%

Went to visit the folks over the weekend for a baby shower and this was the best that was offered to me. No date was seen on the packaging.
Served in a can but I poured it into a glass.
Light yellow straw color, with extreme carbonation and decent head.
Smell was almost rancid, tinny and not impressive.
Taste was as if I bit into the can.Sort of metallic with an almost stale beer flavor.
Mouthfeel ...well., pitiful. (426 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured into a perfect pint from a 24 oz. can.

3.5 A: Clear medium orange color. Two fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is pretty good and a decent amount of lacing is left. I just had the regular Yuengling out of a can and it didn't retain the head at all. How peculiar.

2.0 S: Like the regular, just weak as hell. Also not picking up any caramel. Just a light toastiness and some graininess. Weak.

2.0 T: Tastes like nothing with a light toastiness and graininess. Weak.

2.0 M: Light body. A bit too much carbonation. Not even crisp, just fluffy water. Weak.

1.5 D: Weak. (586 characters)

had one straight from the bottle

what more is there to say other than it's a light beer? i still prefer the Yuengling Traditional Lager over this anytime

for a light beer its not as bad as the macros but its still a light beer, got a sixer that came with the variety, otherwise i wouldn't buy this again (305 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -30.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden color lager with small bubbly white head with minimal retention. Aroma of sweet notes with light cereal notes. Taste is also dominated by sweet cereal notes with almost no aftertaste. Body is light with good carbonation. Easy drinking lager with very little complexity. (299 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -30.6%

Appearance: Copper golden amber forms a thin short-lived off white head no lacing left at all. Aroma: Mild grainy caramel sweetness touch of hops very bland all in all. Taste: An off graininess comes off a bit tart and bready with no finishing flavors, starts off a decent sweetness then boom nothing not aftertaste nothing there, water. Mouthfeel: Watery thin spritzy carbonation, can't believe they produce this beer. Drinkability: I guess you could drink alot of it 2.7%abv and watery mouthfeel, but why would you waste your time with flavorless beer. (554 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -30.2%

Pretty non-descript. Light in all facets. Basically no aroma, except for a very faint grain, hop detection. The color is very watery looking and overcarbonated; no real head to speak of. Tastes more grainy than malty, but the lightness keeps it from becomming a disaster. Light notes of green apples, and metailic note in the flavor, accompany the grains. Feels acidic and prickley with a mild hop linger. Will not go out of my way for this brew. (446 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -29.2%

Honestly I wish they'd stop making Light beers. This beer pours just like it's fuller version the Traditional Lager. It's got a copper-ish amber color with a white head that goes away quickly. The smells are almost the same, it's kind of hoppy and it's got some grains in there too. The aroma is super light though. The taste is virtually absent from this beer. Compared to the original Lager this beer is very weak on flavor. All I can say is that you should just drink the real thing. (486 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -29.2%

Ill begin with stating my fondness for Yuengling Lager. Its been one of my stand-by beers for a long time. After a recent band practice at my home, I found a couple bottle of the Light Lager left by my sax player. So, watching the game the other night---POP. First sip out of the bottle was a shock---watery. Really watery. So I poured the brew into a pint glass. Hey, looks like Lager---nice color. Drank it down and this is my view on this beer: Take a reg Lager---add 1/4 cup of water=Light Lager. I wasn't fond of this beer. Watery taste, watery mouthfeel. Not a beer I would ever want to drink again. Stick to the real deal Lager. (635 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours a dark yellow color - maybe halfway between the usual light beer and Yuengling. Small head that recedes fairly quickly, and a thin film left on top. Has a bit of the smell of Yuengling regular, a quite noticeable sweetness. Taste is where things go wrong. Too much carbonation up front, like seltzer water. Behind it there is not much taste, just a watered-down version of the 'normal' beer. The flavor is pushed to the background. I'll admit that this is different than the BMC lights - it doesn't have the skunky and metallic flavors - but that doesn't make it better. (576 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -28.2%

Aroma - Light grassy aroma with not much else coming through, pretty bland nose.

Appearance - Golden yellow, the head is gone in no time but still plenty of carbonation visible.

Taste - Not good. A grainy dry thin palate. Kind of thud of neither sweet nor bitter. Just a watery grainy dryness with no real balance or level of complexity. Maybe the least complex beer I've had in a long time.

Notes - Still plenty of carbonation gives this a decent mouthfeel. However there is no way to look at it but this is a real shortcoming for Yuengling. (545 characters)

Yuengling Light Lager from Yuengling Brewery