Yuengling Light Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Light Lager |  3.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-22-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Light Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 944 | Reviews: 248
4.11/5  rDev +45.2%

I admit, this is my favorite American light lager beer. I had this tonight at Buffalo Wild Wings in Opelika, Alabama. I am happy Yuengling is spreading out, and I can find it now on tap in Alabama!

It tastes a little different on tap, and most notably, I didn't get the hop flavor as much, but I got a maltiness, that reminds me a little of Sam Adam's malt bill. I would have to brew a batch of Sam without the hops to compare the malts.

It pours a nice color, slightly darker than the usual American fizzy yellow beer. It has a slight aroma of maltiness, and a little alcohol smell. It doesn't retain much head.

The best part of this beer is I can drink it all night. It is smooth, has some flavor, and is cheap.

Great beer, great price.

3.63/5  rDev +28.3%

I don't know if everyone that has rated this beer tried it from the tap. But I must say, I'm a person that does not like light beer at all. When I'm at a gathering and I hear Light beer is being served I just cringe.

My neighbor decided to buy Light Lager because he and I are getting rounder by the mugful drinking Lager. I wasn't too sure about the change, but I said I would give it a try.

Here's the scoop:

Tapped our first one and it has a very close resemblance of Regular Lager. A bit lighter but still says Yuengling Lager.

The smell was close to Regular Lager.

Nice head that didn't disappear too quick. Very good lacing.

Mouth feel was nice. Better (heavier) then any light beer I've ever had to drink. I would say it's between Regular Lager and other light beers.

Taste: This was the biggest surprise to me. I never in my life thought I would say: "Hey!! This LIGHT beer isn't bad!!" It tastes like Regular Lager but with a bit more watery taste...but not too much. It still maintains its True Lager taste. I would recommend this to anyone watching the carbs and/or looking for something to down on a hot summer day. True Yuengling Lager drinkers will be pleasantly surprised by this one.

P.S. This taste test was done by tap only. I do not know what it tastes like in bottle or can.

P.C.C.

2.13/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I bought a 12 pack of this to drink during the National Championship at a buddy's house. The game was great (Go Gators), the beer was awful. It looked average, nothing to write home about, but a nice frothy head that laced the glass. Unfortunately, that was the best thing about it. It smelled like grassy earth and tasted about the same. The taste was very bland, similar to a bud light. I drink 2 and went to the store to buy more beer at half time and left the other 10 to the free beer fund.

3.53/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The lager is a pale amber color, coming in somewhere between light brown and orange. The head is a wispy ring that does not retain.

S: The aroma is a very grainy maltiness, thin and lacking much character.

T: The lager has a very thin, watered down taste, compared to the Traditional Lager. The malts are grainy and do little flavorwise. As for hops? Forget it. This is a malty beer only and even that doesn't fare so well.

M: This is probably a great beer when stacked up against BMC's light offerings. It reminds me of Sam Adams Light, a noble concept that, by its nature, falls short.

D: I'd pass unless you were looking for a very low abv beer to pound over many, many, many hours. The caloric increase up to Lager is not that significant, so take the dive dammit.

Yuengling Premium Light Beer could very easily be mistaken for the regular Yuengling beers. Unlike most light beers, Yuengling Premium Light doesn't cut taste when it cuts calories.
A full-bodied and rich-tasting brew, Yuengling Light is the perfect beer for anyone having a party that needs to please the full range of beer drinking preferences. For those who are watching their caloric intake, Yuengling Premium Light allows them to enjoy their drink with a clear conscience. For those wanting a smooth beer, again Yuengling would please their palate. And for those looking for that rich beer taste, Yuengling is the perfect beer.
Yuengling is a great complement to most food items, although I enjoy it with a nice summer barbecue or typical bar foods.

2.46/5  rDev -13.1%

A really nice brozish coppery color with a solid light tan head. Bubbles rise to the top. Looks good. Smell is weak, a bit metallic, some bready notes in there. Taste is just not enjoyable. Obviously watery but also a touch of canned sweet corn but also some plastic and metallic flavors, esp at the end. Not even a good choice if you're watching your carbs.

2.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a nice golden color with a shortly lived head. The aroma consists of a faint sweetness with maybe a hint of caramel...there's not much going on here but it seems to surpass many other light beer "aromas". Sweet almost doughy malt flavor isn't bad either but its pretty damn watered down. Mouthfeel is aggressive in its bristling carbonation and light in body.

Not bad at all for a light beer, but I can't really recommend it unless you absolutely require a low carb beer. Non-offensive, non-challenging, low alcohol light beer...what's the point?

2.58/5  rDev -8.8%

Clear coppery golden color with a small struggling white head. Retention is a dense white ring. At least my beer has a bit more color than the usual crappy light lagers. Smell is not so bad, but definitely not much. There's a little sweetness and some clarity, with mild hops. Taste has some bready malt and some hard to discern hops. Light body and watery mouthfeel with large, in your face, carbonation. Drinkability is what it is.

Not thaaat bad for a light lager, but not as good as Sam Light. I would suggest getting real beer instead.

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5's across the board...

A- Thin, fizzy, prickly head that disappears in no time.

S- Smell? I don't really smell anything.

T- Not much of a taste. It's similar to the regular lager but watered down.

M- Watery, thin, etc.

D- Not very pleasing. At least the regular lager challenges you to keep drinking, this doesn't even put up a fight. Bland.

2.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Yuengling Light Lager
For a light beer this is really not the worst you could do. In fact I like Yuengling Traditional Lager and this is basically a wimpier watered down version of the same flavor. It has some sweet bready malts in the smell and taste with a hint of week hops trying to get through. Overall it is watery thin and carbonated but what do you expect from a light beer so ... Yeah if you are looking for a drinkable Light beer this fits the bill. And at 2.70 % ABV you can drink it all day.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.18/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy head. There was decent retention and not much lacing.

The smell was light and grainy. A subtle sour apple aroma was detected.

The taste was light and crisp and consisted of a watered down malt body with a bit of an adjunct element. Good bicuity aftertaste. Decent hop presence which contributed a dry finish.

The mouthfeel was light and watery.

Overall a drinkable light beer. Certainly better than BMC, but nothing special. However, at 99 calories, it truly is a light beer.

2.36/5  rDev -16.6%

Yuengling Light Lager pours a surprisingly dark color for a light lager, almost orange, with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Corn is noticeable in the aroma. Tastes like adjunct. Seems like there is an off flavor, I can't really place it, but its not overwhelming. Reasonably drinkable light lager.

3.62/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light brownish-amber with a small slightly off-white, tight head that diminishes to a film. Smells of sweet grain and floral hops with a little brown sugar. Lightly hoppy and very bready flavor. Mild but nice. Medium-light body, slick texture, moderate carbonation. Not bat at all for a light beer

3.31/5  rDev +17%

Appearance: A light amber orange color and very clear. Big carbonation bubbles could be seen and the lacing was ok due to a remaining ring of suds around the rim of the glass.

Smell: Adjunct malt aroma, maybe corn, but a light bit of floral aroma with hints of lemon.

Taste: Better than most light lagers that I have tried. Plenty of adjunct malt flavor and sweeter than many lights.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth.

Drinkability: If I have to drink a light beer, this is the one that I would choose.

2.9/5  rDev +2.5%

poured a medium amber color with moderate white head that quickly faded to a thin coating. Smell is very minimal with only a mild sweetness to be found. Taste is more of the smell with much less character than their regular lager with a bit too light for myn taste. finish is also light with little of anything to be found. Drinkabilty to good, mostly due to the low alcohol content.

3.71/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: pours a clear golden color with a nice 2" white head. This beer actually looks like a beer, not like it's BMC lite counterparts, thus the high mark.

Smell: the aroma was of light malt and soft grassiness.

Taste: surprisingly there is some flavor with this light beer as some grainy malts and mild bitterness are easily detectable. Some grass tones round it out.

Mouthfeel: extremely dry and mildly crisp at the start all the way through the finish. Thin bodied. Little aftertaste.

Drinkability: not being a light beer fan, I was surprised that this didn't offend my tastebuds in relation to the light lager style. So this is nicely drinkable in my book. Choose this over the BMC alternatives if you need to drink a light beer.

3.2/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer wast tasted in a Pilsner Glass from a bottle.

The color is a dull gold with a big head that dissipates quickly but leaves a little froth all the way down. It smells of faint barley. The taste isn't bad for a light beer. There is a little malt presence, not hops but no corn, rice or adjuncts either. It honestly feels about what an all malt lager fells like rather than a light beer. Overall its easy to drink and one of the best light beers out there.

3.28/5  rDev +15.9%

12oz. bottle that I got in the Yuengling variety pack.

Poured a yellowish amber color with small head of foam that dissipated very fast and left no rings or lace whatsoever. The only good part was all those carboantion bubbles in the pilsner glass. The only aroma was that of faint malts and hops and nothing else. The taste was very crisp and clean with a slight malty aftertaste to it. I thought the mouthfeel was kind of watery and light, but not as watery like most macro light beers. Overall this was an above average light beer with more taste and better mouthfeel than most light beers. If you want a light beer and can't find Sam Adams light, then this would make a nice substitute.

3.6/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My first offering from Yuengling. Poured out to a deep yellow / orange color with a small white foamy head that calmed down to a thin layer of bubbles over the surface of the beer. Medium level of carbonation. Aromas of brewery fresh ingredients was very enjoyable; malt, hops and grain were all light but notable. Taste was a definite step up from your typical light lager; flavors of lightly roasted malt, rich grain and some tea like lingering taste went very well together. Mouthfeel was pretty good, with the carbonation adding some crisp, zesty character. Good drinkability. I would have this over any other light beer out there today. Recommended for Light beer lovers. Special thanks to OldFrothingSlosh for the sample.

3.7/5  rDev +30.7%

A: Typical light lager. Golden with a touch of amber.
S: Lightly hopped but not much more.
T: Very nice here. Tastes like beer dammit. Smooth finish. Cluster bittering hops perhaps? Nice. Maybe some cascade hops to finish.
M: Light to medium. For a light beer...it's OK. Better than other US light macros..no doubt.
D: Shot. I could throw back these all night. Very nice to down. Refreshing and satisfying.

Overall: I love this light beer. Best in the US for a light beer. An honest light beer. A touch weak in alcohol but a nice example of an American Light Lager. I like it.

1.42/5  rDev -49.8%

Appearance - For a light beer I was shocked to find it had an amber color. I was expecting it to be completely gross in color. It had a medium head that vanished as quick as it appeared with absolutly no lacing. Not great.

Smell - Faint hops and malt. Smell is very weak, but it isn't repulsive.

Taste - It has an initial shock of stomach acid followed by a weak aftertaste typical of rice beer. The very high carbonation numbs the tongue, probably to dull the flavor a bit. I can't imagine how gross this would be closer to room temperature. This is bad.

Mouthfeel - This feels thinner than water. I know it doesn't make much sense, but it feels thinner than water. The carbonation stings my whole mouth and numbs the tongue, but considering the flavor, it's needed.

Drinkability - I don't want this again, ever. I could use it as a session beer, but at 2.75 abv, I might as well put a drop of Kirschwasser in a big glass of water. That would taste like water and get the same alcohol in my system. Since the carbonation numbs your mouth, it could be eaten with bad food. Some one could serve it at their dinner party to conceal the fact that their cooking tastes terrible. Other than that, this is best left on the shelves.

2.84/5  rDev +0.4%

So my friend came down for the weekend and left the left over Yuengling Light in my fridge. They remained there until I realized Friday night was going to pass without a party.

Appearance: A very disappointing yellow in comparison to regular Yuengling.

Smell: There is a faint smell to this beer that is better than say Bud light. The smell would be pleasant if it were more powerful.

Taste: The taste of this beer was not too bad. However, it was at the same time disappointing being my first and last beer of the night.

Drinkability: This went down extremely well, but perhaps too well for what I expected out of this beer.

1.86/5  rDev -34.3%

12 oz bottle pours a clear, medium gold body with a one finger offwhite head that quickly dwindles to a thin wisp of collar. Aroma is nearly void, so I can't rate it as awful. Some faint grainess is barely noticed. Mouthfeel is very light bodied, with lots of crisp carbonation. Taste is watery and fizzy. Slight notes of caramel malt are easily balanced by subdued hops bitterness. Clean finish and aftertaste make this a decent "lawnmower" beer, but I don't see any point in trying this one again.

2.68/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours about the same as the traditional lager….copper/amber colour with a foamy head that fizzes away quickly;
Clean aroma on the nose , light graininess, faint hops. Tastebuds pick up a nice small hint how sweetnesscaramel, graininess and hint of hops. Very good drinkability….will I ever drink this again.I have no reason to drink this over the Traditional Lager.

3.2/5  rDev +13.1%

This is my kind of light beer. Too bad it's out of a can. It's a 175th anniversary. this is what a light beer SHOULD be. BTW....

Appearance: Light amber...alil bit lighter in color than regular

Smell: Lemon Rinds, mild hops, wheaty malts

Taste: spritzy carbonation, bitter citrus, barely any hops. Like a watered down Yuengling....but still, not bad

Mouthfeel: Crisp carbonation that tingles the roof of your mouth.

Drinkability: This goes down ultra easy

Yuengling Light Lager from Yuengling Brewery