Yuengling Light Lager - Yuengling Brewery

Pennsylvania, United States

Light Lager |  3.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-22-2002

2.9/5  rDev +1%

poured a medium amber color with moderate white head that quickly faded to a thin coating. Smell is very minimal with only a mild sweetness to be found. Taste is more of the smell with much less character than their regular lager with a bit too light for myn taste. finish is also light with little of anything to be found. Drinkabilty to good, mostly due to the low alcohol content.

3.71/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: pours a clear golden color with a nice 2" white head. This beer actually looks like a beer, not like it's BMC lite counterparts, thus the high mark.

Smell: the aroma was of light malt and soft grassiness.

Taste: surprisingly there is some flavor with this light beer as some grainy malts and mild bitterness are easily detectable. Some grass tones round it out.

Mouthfeel: extremely dry and mildly crisp at the start all the way through the finish. Thin bodied. Little aftertaste.

Drinkability: not being a light beer fan, I was surprised that this didn't offend my tastebuds in relation to the light lager style. So this is nicely drinkable in my book. Choose this over the BMC alternatives if you need to drink a light beer.

3.2/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer wast tasted in a Pilsner Glass from a bottle.

The color is a dull gold with a big head that dissipates quickly but leaves a little froth all the way down. It smells of faint barley. The taste isn't bad for a light beer. There is a little malt presence, not hops but no corn, rice or adjuncts either. It honestly feels about what an all malt lager fells like rather than a light beer. Overall its easy to drink and one of the best light beers out there.

3.28/5  rDev +14.3%

12oz. bottle that I got in the Yuengling variety pack.

Poured a yellowish amber color with small head of foam that dissipated very fast and left no rings or lace whatsoever. The only good part was all those carboantion bubbles in the pilsner glass. The only aroma was that of faint malts and hops and nothing else. The taste was very crisp and clean with a slight malty aftertaste to it. I thought the mouthfeel was kind of watery and light, but not as watery like most macro light beers. Overall this was an above average light beer with more taste and better mouthfeel than most light beers. If you want a light beer and can't find Sam Adams light, then this would make a nice substitute.

3.6/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My first offering from Yuengling. Poured out to a deep yellow / orange color with a small white foamy head that calmed down to a thin layer of bubbles over the surface of the beer. Medium level of carbonation. Aromas of brewery fresh ingredients was very enjoyable; malt, hops and grain were all light but notable. Taste was a definite step up from your typical light lager; flavors of lightly roasted malt, rich grain and some tea like lingering taste went very well together. Mouthfeel was pretty good, with the carbonation adding some crisp, zesty character. Good drinkability. I would have this over any other light beer out there today. Recommended for Light beer lovers. Special thanks to OldFrothingSlosh for the sample.

3.7/5  rDev +28.9%

A: Typical light lager. Golden with a touch of amber.
S: Lightly hopped but not much more.
T: Very nice here. Tastes like beer dammit. Smooth finish. Cluster bittering hops perhaps? Nice. Maybe some cascade hops to finish.
M: Light to medium. For a light beer...it's OK. Better than other US light macros..no doubt.
D: Shot. I could throw back these all night. Very nice to down. Refreshing and satisfying.

Overall: I love this light beer. Best in the US for a light beer. An honest light beer. A touch weak in alcohol but a nice example of an American Light Lager. I like it.

1.42/5  rDev -50.5%

Appearance - For a light beer I was shocked to find it had an amber color. I was expecting it to be completely gross in color. It had a medium head that vanished as quick as it appeared with absolutly no lacing. Not great.

Smell - Faint hops and malt. Smell is very weak, but it isn't repulsive.

Taste - It has an initial shock of stomach acid followed by a weak aftertaste typical of rice beer. The very high carbonation numbs the tongue, probably to dull the flavor a bit. I can't imagine how gross this would be closer to room temperature. This is bad.

Mouthfeel - This feels thinner than water. I know it doesn't make much sense, but it feels thinner than water. The carbonation stings my whole mouth and numbs the tongue, but considering the flavor, it's needed.

Drinkability - I don't want this again, ever. I could use it as a session beer, but at 2.75 abv, I might as well put a drop of Kirschwasser in a big glass of water. That would taste like water and get the same alcohol in my system. Since the carbonation numbs your mouth, it could be eaten with bad food. Some one could serve it at their dinner party to conceal the fact that their cooking tastes terrible. Other than that, this is best left on the shelves.

2.84/5  rDev -1%

So my friend came down for the weekend and left the left over Yuengling Light in my fridge. They remained there until I realized Friday night was going to pass without a party.

Appearance: A very disappointing yellow in comparison to regular Yuengling.

Smell: There is a faint smell to this beer that is better than say Bud light. The smell would be pleasant if it were more powerful.

Taste: The taste of this beer was not too bad. However, it was at the same time disappointing being my first and last beer of the night.

Drinkability: This went down extremely well, but perhaps too well for what I expected out of this beer.

1.86/5  rDev -35.2%

12 oz bottle pours a clear, medium gold body with a one finger offwhite head that quickly dwindles to a thin wisp of collar. Aroma is nearly void, so I can't rate it as awful. Some faint grainess is barely noticed. Mouthfeel is very light bodied, with lots of crisp carbonation. Taste is watery and fizzy. Slight notes of caramel malt are easily balanced by subdued hops bitterness. Clean finish and aftertaste make this a decent "lawnmower" beer, but I don't see any point in trying this one again.

2.68/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours about the same as the traditional lager….copper/amber colour with a foamy head that fizzes away quickly;
Clean aroma on the nose , light graininess, faint hops. Tastebuds pick up a nice small hint how sweetnesscaramel, graininess and hint of hops. Very good drinkability….will I ever drink this again.I have no reason to drink this over the Traditional Lager.

3.2/5  rDev +11.5%

This is my kind of light beer. Too bad it's out of a can. It's a 175th anniversary. this is what a light beer SHOULD be. BTW....

Appearance: Light amber...alil bit lighter in color than regular

Smell: Lemon Rinds, mild hops, wheaty malts

Taste: spritzy carbonation, bitter citrus, barely any hops. Like a watered down Yuengling....but still, not bad

Mouthfeel: Crisp carbonation that tingles the roof of your mouth.

Drinkability: This goes down ultra easy

1.79/5  rDev -37.6%

Ordered one of these out of sheer curiosity with a Philly cheesesteak during my first trip out to Philadelphia. It poured with a decent color and carbonation seemed ok.

I smelled it, or at least tried to. This beer just didn't smell like anything at all except for maybe a hint of wet horse blanket. I tasted it and much to my surprise - I found a beer worse than Miller, Bud or Coors! This beer literally tastes like rotten well-water.

Philly town has plenty of other great micros. Turn this one down.

2.32/5  rDev -19.2%

Decided at first that I would pass on ordering any alcohol at a Pizza Pub and watering hole. However, I've enjoyed Yuengling's Lager and Black & tan's so i thought what the heck. The entire time I'm sipping, I am disappointed. Too much lemon flavor for a light beer---it's sad to say, but I would order a Miller Light instead of this next time.

1.85/5  rDev -35.5%

Light amber color, clear liquid with a soda-pop white head. It probably looks better than most light beers, but it’s not perfectly enticing. Faint malt aroma. Taste is grain-like and very dry. Not much hops, and certainly not bitter. Average to high carbonation. This is a middle-of-the road light beer. Notably pointless.

2.84/5  rDev -1%

Dark copper looks and a fizzy, flakey white top. OK! Smells like sweet nastiness though, like mildewy rug, pungently sweet rotting banana.

Tastes alright for a light lager. Haven't had too many light lagers, but this one is OK. Watery in the mouth, sweet shallow malts. Tangy, soft, empty carbonation. Very clean aftertaste. I think I probably like Sam Adams light better.

2.12/5  rDev -26.1%

This beer smells like a farm. Head goes away quickly. The beer has a great amber appearance, but that is the only saving grace. Tastes okay. Mouthfeel is smooth. Drinkabliity is great considering the insulting ABV. Not worth it. I am not sure why Yuengling bothered to make this beer. It really isn't a good product.

2.95/5  rDev +2.8%

It pours well, but the head rapidly disappears and no lacing to speak of.

It has more flavor and color than other domestic light beers. I live in Florida where it is hot and I often wish to drink a light lager during the day because ales and dark lagers, which I prefer to drink, seem a bit heavy when it is hot out and you are having more than a few beers. This beer definitely hits the spot without hurting the wallet too badly.

I realize that there are many "superior" beers, but I think that for what it is it, it is very good. It's better than Bud/Coors/Miller Lights and WAY better than waterey cheapo collage party beers like Keystone, Busch, Natural ligths.. Not as good as Amstel or Corona Light, but less expensive and has a bit more flavor, body and color than all of those.

Yuengling is pretty good for what it is. Relativley inexpensive domestic light beer.

It's light beer that costs less than $5/ six pack and I'll be buying more of it.

1.75/5  rDev -39%

I found this sitting in my beer cabinet the other day, and puzzled over it for a bit. Why would I have purchased this? Then I remembered that I got it in a trade. With a BA who shall remain nameless (though I've got a nice bottle of Dixie White Moose waiting for him if we ever trade again!).

Clear, copper, and undercarbonated, with a few splotches of bubbles gathered on the top in lieu of a head. Smells....grainy, I guess, with a weak hint of caramel malt. But who the hell designs light lagers to be sniffed?

The taste is not impressive. There's a light breadiness to the body, but it is very watered down. I don't detect any hops in the vicinity -- the beer just sort of ends, mid-palate.

The lack of bitterness and carbonation renders this a bit too sticky in the mouth to be refreshing, and it's certainly too lacking in flavor to be interesting.

This is really an utterly worthless beer. I mean, what's the point of it being low in calories if you don't get *some* pleasure out of it? You're certainly not going to get a buzz at 2.7% ABV. I can give you a good ass-kicking that will be low in calories too, you might even bleed a ounces off. Is this a selling point??

1.79/5  rDev -37.6%

I ended up at a cookout this evening, and there was nothing available to drink other than four kinds of macro-swill, Yuengling Light being one of the domestic varieties (along with Budweiser). The imported swills included Corona and Konigsburg. Instead of leaving and embarrasing my family, I took this as an opportunity to try some beers I had not had in over two years. I wish I had just left. I drank this straight out of the bottle, so I had no real sense of its appearance, but if the smell and taste were any indication, it would be weak. There was no aroma to speak of and taste was bland at best. In simplest term, this brew is worthless.

3.03/5  rDev +5.6%

The beer pours a nice golden color with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a dry musty scent with little malts and fewer hops. The taste is average also. It is light, dry, and musty with a very watery grainy malt make-up. It goes down easy, but lacks any real flavor. The mouthfeel is decent. It is an extremely low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is an average light beer. There is nothing special here. I found this to be dryer than most. It's one and done for me.

2.02/5  rDev -29.6%

Appearance: Copper golden amber forms a thin short-lived off white head no lacing left at all. Aroma: Mild grainy caramel sweetness touch of hops very bland all in all. Taste: An off graininess comes off a bit tart and bready with no finishing flavors, starts off a decent sweetness then boom nothing not aftertaste nothing there, water. Mouthfeel: Watery thin spritzy carbonation, can't believe they produce this beer. Drinkability: I guess you could drink alot of it 2.7%abv and watery mouthfeel, but why would you waste your time with flavorless beer.

2.4/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a pale copper with a thin white head, quickly dissipates and has no lace. Smells lightly grassy.

Taste has a better malt profile than I had expected. Lightly sweet and hints of nuttiness. Light hops finish. However, overall it is too watery and doesn't have much aftertaste. Very thin. Very drinkable though and as far as light lagers go, this one isn't offensive.

2.46/5  rDev -14.3%

No fresh date noticed

This beer poured a caramel/amber color into the glass and was crystal clear and well carbonated. The head that was formed when vigorously poured was off white in color and lasted only a second then quickly fell to nothing not even a ring on the edges. No lace was resent. The aroma that came from the glass to be honest was a weaker version of the regular lager. I nosed light toasted malts, and some citrus hops. Again faint in the nose. The tastes that came over my tongue were light as well, some malts (sweet and roasted), light caramel, grains/husks, hops, and some bready dough as it finished. The aftertaste was light and wisps of corn and malt came forth as it warmed. The body was light. I am not a fan of the lager and choose not to drink it, the light is actually better and more easily drinkable. Not the greatest beer, but in a class of “light” beers this one stands above the rest.

3.3/5  rDev +15%

This is a light beer that you can pass off to your macro friends. It's decent for what it is and if you're going to drink light beer, then why not back these guys up instead of supporting the big dogs.Not the best light beer but very acceptable.At least they don't have stupid commercials with people hollerin' and yellin'!.

2.63/5  rDev -8.4%

As everyone here mentioned, this beer is good for a light. But do we really like light beer around here? According to Yuengling, they cook their Traditional Lager wort longer in order to produce the light. I use this beer for parites or for guests. There will be people at parties who will want their light beers, and this would be a very good Bud/Miller/Coors Light substitute.

This beer has good color, but a head which quickly disipates. The other characteristics can all be described as 'ok'. So, all in all, nothing special, but good for a light.

Yuengling Light Lager from Yuengling Brewery