Yuengling Bock - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Bock |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-08-2009)

1.2/5  rDev -64.4%

1.3/5  rDev -61.4%

A: Brown amber color with two inch head.
S: Slight malt scent, smells similar to an American lager.
T: Simple malt on front end, no taste on back end, it disappears.
M: Thin, light body, flat with no carbonation.
O: Flat, simple, thin, disappointing.

1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

Appearance: Brown/amber with OK white head, leaves a little lacing

Smell: Smells like sweat and old wet cardboard, bready malt in there too

Taste: Old cardboard, bready malt, some fruityness. Cardboard flavor starts to go away as it warms, and reveals more sweetness

Mouthfeel: Crisp carbonation, medium to light body

Overall: Highly disappointing. I don't expect world class beer from Yuengling, but I expect something decent, especially considering I like the porter and lager. Didn't expect something that is reminicent of old wet cardboard! Love the packaging, but I'm wondering if this might have gone bad in the short amount of time it has been on the shelves? Wish I could have had a single bottle instead of a whole six pack. Might have to try cooking with it or something.

1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

1.63/5  rDev -51.6%

To call this a bock is like calling a pilsner an IPA, only backwards. It is the worst example of a bock I have ever tasted. It is twice as bitter and half as malty. I am thankful I only wasted money on a 6-pack. Someone should really educate them on the bock style. Yuengling makes a good lager. But as far as a bock it would not even be suitable for marinade.

1.68/5  rDev -50.1%

12 oz twist off.

It pours a rootbeer brown/amber with a really gawky looking head.

Smells like water with some caramel and a smack of nuts.

Mouthfeel is really watery, taste is of metal. There is some sweetness too. It has an okay bitterness on the back end.

It doesn't taste like a bock though.

This is like a malt liquor.

1.75/5  rDev -48.1%

1.75/5  rDev -48.1%

Though I am a fan of Yuengling and their other products, this one will never be tried by me again.

Taste - bitter and it left a biting after taste

Mouth feel - rough going down, yet I finished it to give it the benefit of a doubt

Appearance - Beautiful color and the pour left a nice 2 finger head which diminished in about 2 minutes

Overall - The one Yuengling I will never again try unless convinced other wise

1.88/5  rDev -44.2%

Bought as part of a 6 pack from Beers of the World on 3/29/13.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass served cool.

Perfectly clear dark amber with a 1 finger tannish gray head. no lacing.

aroma: not pleasant, reminds me a little of a dirty diaper.

mouthfeel: slightly better than average.

taste: some toasted malt with a slight caramel sweetness before a nasty cooked vegetable taste .it ends with a husky dried corn impression before a slight metallic bitterness.

notes: this is horrible beer. mean looking, wretched smelling and awful tasting. I couldn't finish it and am now stuck with 5 more bottles.

2.03/5  rDev -39.8%

When I was still new to beer my favorite style was the Bock. It had a medium body, taste, and low hops, giving it a nice rounded sweetness and easy drinkability. I'd heard Yuengling sometimes made a Bock and I've been excited about finding it for years until a few days ago when I finally came across it in person.

First impression is cool retro bottle, cheap price, easy twist off, and old american brewery! Upon pouring into a pint glass I see the clear medium-dark amber color as well as very harsh carbonation with loud bubbles and a very short lasting head.

Smell is hardly noticeable, with a slight malty dryness.

Taste is harsh carbonation with dry malty backbone. The finish is slighty dry/bitter yet not at all hoppy. I'm feeling a soapy/chemical aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and overly carbonated, it actually burns somewhat like drinking a soda.

Overall I have to say pass on this beer. I'm glad I only bought a single of it. Taste is bland/harsh and completely uneventful. While some boring beers are at least have a place in this world (macro lager on a hot summer day), this boring beer leaves your mouth somewhat annoyed.

2.1/5  rDev -37.7%

Appearance- amber brown with crisp clarity, a white foam head the almost immediately quickly disappeared leaving fading bubbles up on top,

Smell- unique smell on this beer, a mix of a spicy kind of odor and malt, almost has some sort of sour smell to it, hmm weird

Taste- strong taste of hops and very slight malt flavor in the background, surprised for a yuengling beer at the amount of hops you get in the finish on this beer, there is still something strange about the flavor of this beer that I can not say I really love,

Mouthfeel- light with moderate carbonation

Drinkability- I will have to try this again but I have to say as of now I found this particular bottle to be pretty much down right bad, didnt taste like anything i would have expected for the style of a bock, just missed the mark on all points and I usually find yuengling stuff to be a nice deal, hmm give another try but not good

2.13/5  rDev -36.8%

Baby growler fill of this kid bock over at New Beer. Poured into a generic tumbler.

Lots of activity. Bottom up, it has as much activity as a glass of Coke. Tawny in color, with a quarter inch of thinning-out fizz.

Smell is a little weird at first. A little vegetable-y with a convincing whiff of sour cream. The end of it gets a little cola, but just not enough. Warming up, more of a numbing/spicy bitterness that's all too out of place.

Carbonation is great, but it's simply just cutting through water. Taste is of light wheat bread, in second place: charred malt, a much lesser amount of mixed vegetables, with mineral runoff & bitter tea on the somewhat lingering finish.

There's a desperate need of alcohol here, as it tastes a good bit like Goya Malta, or some other similar travesty. No phenols, no doughy feel, very noticeable corners cut. A very piss poor attempt. :|

2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

Look: Medium amber color, big fluffy head, light lacing

Smell: Slight malt, sweet, yeast

Taste: Up Front: Malt, caramel, soda. Finish: brown sugar, bread

Mouthfeel: Slight sweetness and dry

Drinkability: Its low ABV makes it a session beer. Just make sure I'm not drinking in on that session! Just kidding! I'll drink with anyone of our fanz!

Overall Impression: Yuengling is America's oldest brewery and they have been around 180 years, making them almost as old as Herr Rick (He is immortal ya know!) So I have a lot of respect for the brewery itself, it just is a weak beer for the style. Just not for me. But someone who is on a tight budget may consider this beer before moving up the ladder to "actual" Doublebocks!

2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

Bottle. No idea where or when I acquired this gem. Pours a clear, medium colored copper color with a thick fluffy light tan head. Vegetable mixed with caramel nose. Medium mouthfeel. The vegetable I smell and taste is tomato. I sorta has a stewed tomato taste...weird. The aroma and taste are not good but the look is awesome, great lacing and head retention just too bad the rest of this didn’t come together.

2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

I am not sure if I am drinking a bad bock or a bad Yuengling lager. Not good. The goat...this is it. Outside of the inventive labeling there is nothing good going on here. I am actually very surprised they rolled this out as the first seasonal in Ohio. I would not want to buy another seasonal if I did not have a general respect for Yuengling as is. I will chalk this one up as a bad taste in an otherwise good brand. Sadly...a direct competitor to MGD.

Yuengling Bock from Yuengling Brewery