Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Yuengling Bock - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling BockYuengling Bock

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Bock |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-08-2009

1.36/5  rDev -59.6%

A: Brown amber color with two inch head.
S: Slight malt scent, smells similar to an American lager.
T: Simple malt on front end, no taste on back end, it disappears.
M: Thin, light body, flat with no carbonation.
O: Flat, simple, thin, disappointing.

1.52/5  rDev -54.9%

Appearance: Brown/amber with OK white head, leaves a little lacing

Smell: Smells like sweat and old wet cardboard, bready malt in there too

Taste: Old cardboard, bready malt, some fruityness. Cardboard flavor starts to go away as it warms, and reveals more sweetness

Mouthfeel: Crisp carbonation, medium to light body

Overall: Highly disappointing. I don't expect world class beer from Yuengling, but I expect something decent, especially considering I like the porter and lager. Didn't expect something that is reminicent of old wet cardboard! Love the packaging, but I'm wondering if this might have gone bad in the short amount of time it has been on the shelves? Wish I could have had a single bottle instead of a whole six pack. Might have to try cooking with it or something.

1.69/5  rDev -49.9%

To call this a bock is like calling a pilsner an IPA, only backwards. It is the worst example of a bock I have ever tasted. It is twice as bitter and half as malty. I am thankful I only wasted money on a 6-pack. Someone should really educate them on the bock style. Yuengling makes a good lager. But as far as a bock it would not even be suitable for marinade.

1.7/5  rDev -49.6%

12 oz twist off.

It pours a rootbeer brown/amber with a really gawky looking head.

Smells like water with some caramel and a smack of nuts.

Mouthfeel is really watery, taste is of metal. There is some sweetness too. It has an okay bitterness on the back end.

It doesn't taste like a bock though.

This is like a malt liquor.

1.85/5  rDev -45.1%

Bought as part of a 6 pack from Beers of the World on 3/29/13.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass served cool.

Perfectly clear dark amber with a 1 finger tannish gray head. no lacing.

aroma: not pleasant, reminds me a little of a dirty diaper.

mouthfeel: slightly better than average.

taste: some toasted malt with a slight caramel sweetness before a nasty cooked vegetable taste .it ends with a husky dried corn impression before a slight metallic bitterness.

notes: this is horrible beer. mean looking, wretched smelling and awful tasting. I couldn't finish it and am now stuck with 5 more bottles.

1.86/5  rDev -44.8%

Though I am a fan of Yuengling and their other products, this one will never be tried by me again.

Taste - bitter and it left a biting after taste

Mouth feel - rough going down, yet I finished it to give it the benefit of a doubt

Appearance - Beautiful color and the pour left a nice 2 finger head which diminished in about 2 minutes

Overall - The one Yuengling I will never again try unless convinced other wise

2.03/5  rDev -39.8%

When I was still new to beer my favorite style was the Bock. It had a medium body, taste, and low hops, giving it a nice rounded sweetness and easy drinkability. I'd heard Yuengling sometimes made a Bock and I've been excited about finding it for years until a few days ago when I finally came across it in person.

First impression is cool retro bottle, cheap price, easy twist off, and old american brewery! Upon pouring into a pint glass I see the clear medium-dark amber color as well as very harsh carbonation with loud bubbles and a very short lasting head.

Smell is hardly noticeable, with a slight malty dryness.

Taste is harsh carbonation with dry malty backbone. The finish is slighty dry/bitter yet not at all hoppy. I'm feeling a soapy/chemical aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and overly carbonated, it actually burns somewhat like drinking a soda.

Overall I have to say pass on this beer. I'm glad I only bought a single of it. Taste is bland/harsh and completely uneventful. While some boring beers are at least have a place in this world (macro lager on a hot summer day), this boring beer leaves your mouth somewhat annoyed.

2.13/5  rDev -36.8%

Appearance- amber brown with crisp clarity, a white foam head the almost immediately quickly disappeared leaving fading bubbles up on top,

Smell- unique smell on this beer, a mix of a spicy kind of odor and malt, almost has some sort of sour smell to it, hmm weird

Taste- strong taste of hops and very slight malt flavor in the background, surprised for a yuengling beer at the amount of hops you get in the finish on this beer, there is still something strange about the flavor of this beer that I can not say I really love,

Mouthfeel- light with moderate carbonation

Drinkability- I will have to try this again but I have to say as of now I found this particular bottle to be pretty much down right bad, didnt taste like anything i would have expected for the style of a bock, just missed the mark on all points and I usually find yuengling stuff to be a nice deal, hmm give another try but not good

2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

Baby growler fill of this kid bock over at New Beer. Poured into a generic tumbler.

Lots of activity. Bottom up, it has as much activity as a glass of Coke. Tawny in color, with a quarter inch of thinning-out fizz.

Smell is a little weird at first. A little vegetable-y with a convincing whiff of sour cream. The end of it gets a little cola, but just not enough. Warming up, more of a numbing/spicy bitterness that's all too out of place.

Carbonation is great, but it's simply just cutting through water. Taste is of light wheat bread, in second place: charred malt, a much lesser amount of mixed vegetables, with mineral runoff & bitter tea on the somewhat lingering finish.

There's a desperate need of alcohol here, as it tastes a good bit like Goya Malta, or some other similar travesty. No phenols, no doughy feel, very noticeable corners cut. A very piss poor attempt. :|

2.18/5  rDev -35.3%

Look: Medium amber color, big fluffy head, light lacing

Smell: Slight malt, sweet, yeast

Taste: Up Front: Malt, caramel, soda. Finish: brown sugar, bread

Mouthfeel: Slight sweetness and dry

Drinkability: Its low ABV makes it a session beer. Just make sure I'm not drinking in on that session! Just kidding! I'll drink with anyone of our fanz!

Overall Impression: Yuengling is America's oldest brewery and they have been around 180 years, making them almost as old as Herr Rick (He is immortal ya know!) So I have a lot of respect for the brewery itself, it just is a weak beer for the style. Just not for me. But someone who is on a tight budget may consider this beer before moving up the ladder to "actual" Doublebocks!

2.18/5  rDev -35.3%

Bottle. No idea where or when I acquired this gem. Pours a clear, medium colored copper color with a thick fluffy light tan head. Vegetable mixed with caramel nose. Medium mouthfeel. The vegetable I smell and taste is tomato. I sorta has a stewed tomato taste...weird. The aroma and taste are not good but the look is awesome, great lacing and head retention just too bad the rest of this didn’t come together.

2.19/5  rDev -35%

I am not sure if I am drinking a bad bock or a bad Yuengling lager. Not good. The goat...this is it. Outside of the inventive labeling there is nothing good going on here. I am actually very surprised they rolled this out as the first seasonal in Ohio. I would not want to buy another seasonal if I did not have a general respect for Yuengling as is. I will chalk this one up as a bad taste in an otherwise good brand. Sadly...a direct competitor to MGD.

2.31/5  rDev -31.5%

I won't be bock.
I remember the dark sweet Easter drink from"childhood", those teens when Pops explained the goat among other things, you're not JFK and this is not bock. I was told that bock was done to clean out the 'STUFF" that accumulated in the brewery.

2.38/5  rDev -29.4%

A - Pours a caramel colored brown. Looks like iced tead. Tan foamy head. Very clear, completely see through.

S - Biscuit maltiness. No real hop presence. There is a sharpness that I cannot quite pinpoint. It doesn't smell as sweet as other bocks I've had.

T - Tastes like a lager, with a twangy sharpness. Very one dimensional. Sort of malty, but very lackluster.

M - Medium body, yet some what water like. Leaves the tongue dry.

D - Meh. No thanks. There are so many great bocks out there, this one is not worth repeating.

2.42/5  rDev -28.2%

I gave the Bock of the last two years a medium to low rating, majorily due to the fact that Yuengling has given way to the pressure to release their beer all too soon. In years gone by, the Bock wasn't released until March and ran through June, normal Bock release time. Typically a Bock is created at the end of winter and cellared until the first thaw, this gives it the distinct flavors, and causes it to mature through age. The Bock of old would release in the spring and the taste would evolve throughout the relaese. When Yuengling releases the Bock it is not ready for consumation, and it will have a very strong taste, both hoppy and roasted in taste. In my experience, the beer will maturate over a period of months, each month mellowing in flavor and revealing more complexities of the original mash tun. Although I don't agree with what Dick is doing with the release date of his Bock, I have put a few 6-packs on the shelf for, say, April and May, they will definately have a different taste by then.

2.43/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My rate is an outlier so I need to write this review.

When they first re-released this beer in draft only format a few years ago, I bought a half barrel just for something familiar to offer my guests who didnt dig other more flavorful options. The following year, it came out in bottles. This review is based off several pints on draft.

This beer is classic yuengling but slightly darker. Void of most typical bock maltiness and in its place is a mineral and carbonic water profile with slight buttery diacetyl.

From what I understand, this beer has been discontinued...again. Good riddance.

2.46/5  rDev -27%

Had this on tap while waiting to get into a movie on Friday. Was disappointed in my decision to try this brew (tap list included many great craft selections)

(from notes)
The beer was deep brown, with a reddish hue. Thick 1" white head. Tough to get any sort of aroma on this one, certainly nothing stands out.

Taste is more of the same, very unoffensive beer, but nothing shines either. Light toasted malt flavor, but light is the keyword here. No real hop presence, but in a bock, the malts should definitely stand out more than they do here. This beer reminds me of brewing in the macro style - don't do anything to turn off the masses.

Mouthfeel was medium body with only a little more presence than Yuengling's lager offering. Drinkability is good, a few of these would go down easy, not sure that I'd stick with this one however.

2.51/5  rDev -25.5%

Cool retro label on the bottle of a billy goat drinking out of a glass. Unfortunately, the label is what I liked best about this beer.
This is my first attempt with a Bock, so I have nothing from this style to compare it to.

This is a dark beer with a clear, brown/copper color with a tan head.

Medium bodied, Sweetness at first, but finishes with a dry bitterness.

I tried, but could not get excited about this one.

2.52/5  rDev -25.2%

There are two predominant characteristics of beer flavor: hops and malt. Some palates prefer one of these, I prefer a balance of the two as is found in the beers from Germany. This bock is an example of a typical American style of bock where the hops predominate and the malt sweetness is in the background. FIne if you prefer this style, a tragedy if you do not. I prefer a more balanced brew.

2.56/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear, deep, mahagoney color with a bubbly pure white head. Smell is reminiscent of an adjunct lager, which does not bode well for this beer. Maybe some caramel-like malts in there as well.

Taste is lacking a bit. Some caramel malts come through, not a hint of hops, amd just the slightest hint of booze in the finish. The taste itself isn't actually so bad, but combined with an unpleasant smell and a weak, but too-highly carbonated mouthfeel, the taste and beer take a hit. Not a terrible beer, but I probably wouldn't be drinking it again anytime soon. Not sitting very well with me.

2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

appernce - a dark amber brown with a fluffy white head that fades quick in to a thin lacing.

smell - a strong malt sent.

tast - a caramely malt with some tones of burnt flavor verry littel bittering.

mouthfeel - mediumlight.

not for me but it is worth a try.

2.63/5  rDev -22%

On-tap at Fox & Hounds, located inside the Desmond Hotel (Malvern, PA). On to the beer:

Dark amber color to light brown. No head on top and lacing is nonexistant. The aroam is weak. Well....the bread crust is there, but what's that in the back, coriandor?!? Very light in the flavor as well. There's a touch of bread crust and a touch of sweet bread. Light and fizzy in the mouth.

This is more Shiner Bock than Anchor Bock overall. You could kick back with this, but you won't get a kick of flavor with this beer.

2.66/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Not a stranger to the dark side; love the brown beers.

Had a clear memory of loving the high point: Celebrator.

Not going to say the look of the package didn't affect my purchase, but it may have nudged the appearance rating.
Above average, but too pale for good. Nice foam.

Weak malty smell. Hint of something, rye I think.

Mostly metallic, smooth malt. Rye, bitter, watery finish.

I want to love it, but it has barely manages a like.
The six I bought was enough.

2.67/5  rDev -20.8%

Good beer! I liked it very much. I am going to pick up some more next time I go to the store. It's just a nice change, a little darker a little richer, kind of like a stronger Yuengling Porter. If you are in the mood for it, it will taste even better!

2.71/5  rDev -19.6%

I ran across this interesting find in my go to beer store here in MD. Being born and raised in PA I was astonished to find a Yuengling brew that I had yet to sample. This was the start and the end of my happiness with regard to this beer. It pours slightly darker then there traditional lager. There is little to no overpowering aroma upon initial investigation. I took my first sip and was immediately surprised; however, in an unpleasant way. WHERE IS THE TASTE? I was expecting something akin to a doppelbock, but what I got was something much less. I feel that in the world of bargain beer, Yuengling has shown through and produced a fairly good lager. Entering this tasting with that in mind was a poor idea. I feel that this was a half hearted attempt at capturing the ever growing craft beer market. Yuengling family, please stick to what you are good at and not wonder off the beaten path. I am unfortunately not looking around anymore to find new concepts from this brewery.

Yuengling Bock from Yuengling Brewery