Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Yuengling Bock - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling BockYuengling Bock

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Bock |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-08-2009

2.18/5  rDev -35.5%

Bottle. No idea where or when I acquired this gem. Pours a clear, medium colored copper color with a thick fluffy light tan head. Vegetable mixed with caramel nose. Medium mouthfeel. The vegetable I smell and taste is tomato. I sorta has a stewed tomato taste...weird. The aroma and taste are not good but the look is awesome, great lacing and head retention just too bad the rest of this didn’t come together. (412 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -35.2%

I am not sure if I am drinking a bad bock or a bad Yuengling lager. Not good. The goat...this is it. Outside of the inventive labeling there is nothing good going on here. I am actually very surprised they rolled this out as the first seasonal in Ohio. I would not want to buy another seasonal if I did not have a general respect for Yuengling as is. I will chalk this one up as a bad taste in an otherwise good brand. Sadly...a direct competitor to MGD. (454 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -31.7%

I won't be bock.
I remember the dark sweet Easter drink from"childhood", those teens when Pops explained the goat among other things, you're not JFK and this is not bock. I was told that bock was done to clean out the 'STUFF" that accumulated in the brewery. (258 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -29.6%

A - Pours a caramel colored brown. Looks like iced tead. Tan foamy head. Very clear, completely see through.

S - Biscuit maltiness. No real hop presence. There is a sharpness that I cannot quite pinpoint. It doesn't smell as sweet as other bocks I've had.

T - Tastes like a lager, with a twangy sharpness. Very one dimensional. Sort of malty, but very lackluster.

M - Medium body, yet some what water like. Leaves the tongue dry.

D - Meh. No thanks. There are so many great bocks out there, this one is not worth repeating. (527 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -28.4%

I gave the Bock of the last two years a medium to low rating, majorily due to the fact that Yuengling has given way to the pressure to release their beer all too soon. In years gone by, the Bock wasn't released until March and ran through June, normal Bock release time. Typically a Bock is created at the end of winter and cellared until the first thaw, this gives it the distinct flavors, and causes it to mature through age. The Bock of old would release in the spring and the taste would evolve throughout the relaese. When Yuengling releases the Bock it is not ready for consumation, and it will have a very strong taste, both hoppy and roasted in taste. In my experience, the beer will maturate over a period of months, each month mellowing in flavor and revealing more complexities of the original mash tun. Although I don't agree with what Dick is doing with the release date of his Bock, I have put a few 6-packs on the shelf for, say, April and May, they will definately have a different taste by then. (1,012 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My rate is an outlier so I need to write this review.

When they first re-released this beer in draft only format a few years ago, I bought a half barrel just for something familiar to offer my guests who didnt dig other more flavorful options. The following year, it came out in bottles. This review is based off several pints on draft.

This beer is classic yuengling but slightly darker. Void of most typical bock maltiness and in its place is a mineral and carbonic water profile with slight buttery diacetyl.

From what I understand, this beer has been discontinued...again. Good riddance. (595 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -27.2%

Had this on tap while waiting to get into a movie on Friday. Was disappointed in my decision to try this brew (tap list included many great craft selections)

(from notes)
The beer was deep brown, with a reddish hue. Thick 1" white head. Tough to get any sort of aroma on this one, certainly nothing stands out.

Taste is more of the same, very unoffensive beer, but nothing shines either. Light toasted malt flavor, but light is the keyword here. No real hop presence, but in a bock, the malts should definitely stand out more than they do here. This beer reminds me of brewing in the macro style - don't do anything to turn off the masses.

Mouthfeel was medium body with only a little more presence than Yuengling's lager offering. Drinkability is good, a few of these would go down easy, not sure that I'd stick with this one however. (839 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -25.7%

Cool retro label on the bottle of a billy goat drinking out of a glass. Unfortunately, the label is what I liked best about this beer.
This is my first attempt with a Bock, so I have nothing from this style to compare it to.

This is a dark beer with a clear, brown/copper color with a tan head.

Medium bodied, Sweetness at first, but finishes with a dry bitterness.

I tried, but could not get excited about this one. (421 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -25.4%

There are two predominant characteristics of beer flavor: hops and malt. Some palates prefer one of these, I prefer a balance of the two as is found in the beers from Germany. This bock is an example of a typical American style of bock where the hops predominate and the malt sweetness is in the background. FIne if you prefer this style, a tragedy if you do not. I prefer a more balanced brew. (394 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear, deep, mahagoney color with a bubbly pure white head. Smell is reminiscent of an adjunct lager, which does not bode well for this beer. Maybe some caramel-like malts in there as well.

Taste is lacking a bit. Some caramel malts come through, not a hint of hops, amd just the slightest hint of booze in the finish. The taste itself isn't actually so bad, but combined with an unpleasant smell and a weak, but too-highly carbonated mouthfeel, the taste and beer take a hit. Not a terrible beer, but I probably wouldn't be drinking it again anytime soon. Not sitting very well with me. (589 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -23.7%

appernce - a dark amber brown with a fluffy white head that fades quick in to a thin lacing.

smell - a strong malt sent.

tast - a caramely malt with some tones of burnt flavor verry littel bittering.

mouthfeel - mediumlight.

not for me but it is worth a try. (262 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -22.2%

On-tap at Fox & Hounds, located inside the Desmond Hotel (Malvern, PA). On to the beer:

Dark amber color to light brown. No head on top and lacing is nonexistant. The aroam is weak. Well....the bread crust is there, but what's that in the back, coriandor?!? Very light in the flavor as well. There's a touch of bread crust and a touch of sweet bread. Light and fizzy in the mouth.

This is more Shiner Bock than Anchor Bock overall. You could kick back with this, but you won't get a kick of flavor with this beer. (515 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Not a stranger to the dark side; love the brown beers.

Had a clear memory of loving the high point: Celebrator.

Not going to say the look of the package didn't affect my purchase, but it may have nudged the appearance rating.
Above average, but too pale for good. Nice foam.

Weak malty smell. Hint of something, rye I think.

Mostly metallic, smooth malt. Rye, bitter, watery finish.

I want to love it, but it has barely manages a like.
The six I bought was enough. (475 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -21%

Good beer! I liked it very much. I am going to pick up some more next time I go to the store. It's just a nice change, a little darker a little richer, kind of like a stronger Yuengling Porter. If you are in the mood for it, it will taste even better! (251 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -19.8%

I ran across this interesting find in my go to beer store here in MD. Being born and raised in PA I was astonished to find a Yuengling brew that I had yet to sample. This was the start and the end of my happiness with regard to this beer. It pours slightly darker then there traditional lager. There is little to no overpowering aroma upon initial investigation. I took my first sip and was immediately surprised; however, in an unpleasant way. WHERE IS THE TASTE? I was expecting something akin to a doppelbock, but what I got was something much less. I feel that in the world of bargain beer, Yuengling has shown through and produced a fairly good lager. Entering this tasting with that in mind was a poor idea. I feel that this was a half hearted attempt at capturing the ever growing craft beer market. Yuengling family, please stick to what you are good at and not wonder off the beaten path. I am unfortunately not looking around anymore to find new concepts from this brewery. (983 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A - Deep brown to amber and crystal clear. Tan head with tight bubbles that leaves nice lace on side of glass. Very pretty.

S - Light chocolate malt aroma with a slight metallic tinge. Light burnt smell. Aroma seems a little simple for a bock.

T - Caramel and burnt malt flavor on the forefront. As with the aroma, the flavor is missing complexity and richness. Burnt malt and hop bitterness linger in finish.

F - Moderate carbonation and smooth. Light bodied for a bock and with quite a dry finish. I don't mind variations if it makes for a better beer, but this beer just feels a little thin.

D - Personally I'm a fan of Yuengling's flagship lager, but I don't feel that they did as a good a job with the bock. Nice to see them branching out, but I think they missed the mark on this beer. (841 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Liberty St. Tavern for $3. Paired it with the mac & cheese pizza. Yum.

Frankly I'm not surprised, but this turned out to be a very bland beer. It was clean both in that there were clearly no flaws, but that the flavor profile is similar to that of water. There is a pleasant kiss of spicy hops in the aftertaste, but consider that's all my tongue could pick up, the hops are really the only taste. The beer reminds me a bit of bland "spring ales" or a watery copper ale. (481 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I just bought a 24-bottle case of thistuff down at my local beer distributor (PA.) Twas on sale $10 off since it's out of season by several months. (they kept it cold whole time, fortunately.)
i was in a mood for an un-pretentious lager or pilsener on this warm Spring late April day and et voila.
It is dark caramel/amber in appearance , doesn't have much going on in the nose, a grainy gritty slightly bitter taste and mouth-feel .
One cannot expect authentic German bock if Yuengling concocted this beer. It's very much Yuengling-y if y ou catch my drift .
You get what you pay for .
Would be good with sushi i'm thinking and burgers and Mexican fare . (your mileage may vary on food pairings, of course....) (711 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours a clear light almond brown with a nice two-finger fluffy white head that slowly fades, leaving a small amount of lace.

S: Lightly roasted malt and lager yeast.

T: Hmm. My initial impression is that this is just a lightly colored version of a standard lager. It's ever-so-slightly sweeter, but there's little of a true bock nature I can detect here. There is a pronounced metalic twang, and the coarseness leads me to believe this has not been lagered nearly long enough.

M: Rather coarse. The head is comprised of quite large bubbles, and the body is quite light for a bock. At 5%, it's not even warming.

D: Sure, it's drinkable, but there are so many better examples of bocks out there. (700 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -15.4%

deep auburn color with a non existent head and minimal lacing,
metallic hint, some bready malts with now hops present.
Taste is not as malty as expected. Thin in the mouth. Some metallic characteristics as well.
Overall expecting a bit more. Too bad. (251 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -15.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours with a clear reddish brown body and a 1.5 finger off white head. Surprisingly decent head retention.

Smells of molasses and brown sugar and some caramel. A little hint of tobacco too.

Taste is much like the smell with a very candied, surypy flavor although it isn't actually real sweet. There is a little bit of roast leading to a very light bitterness. Mouthfeel is a little watery but is is quite refreshing.

Overall, this might not be the perfect example of a bock but it has good flavor and is quite refreshing. One of the better values out there. (599 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Thanks to Justin for this six pack. Didn't think I was going to try this one.

A- Pours a color that looks more like a clear ice tea color. Light tan one and a half finger head. No real lacing except for soapy sheets that fall back into the beer itself.

S- Big biscuty malty aroma. Hops are not really apparent in this but I didn't expect them to. Light metallic aroma in this as it warms.
Nothing really else aroma profile wise.

T- Bready malts in the front of this with a slight darker fruit hint. Metallic tinge to this from the front all the way through. Hops are lightly bitter in the beer but still hard to pull out overall.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good to a little much for the style. Bready malts and metallic hints are left on the palate with more metal notes in the aftertaste. Flavors were blended but nothing really of great balance.

D- A lackluster bock beer from the oldest brewery in America. I have only had one of these so I'll update if needed. Thanks Justin once again cause I really wanted to try this beer out! (1,077 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -14.8%

I couldn't find a bottle date.
Appearance: Pours a darker amber color, with very little head and no lacing.

Smell: I took a big whiff of this one and . .. smelled something slightly familiar, Surprise! it smells similar to a Yuengling Lager, just to make sure I opened a Yuengling Lager that I had laying around to compare it to and I was right. The smell is similar, clearly there are more aromas in the Bock, but there is no denying that there is a similarity.

Taste: Tastes like a strong Yuengling Lager, just like the similarities between the smells, the taste of the Bock is a stronger more malty version of the Lager.

Mouthfeel: O.K. the mouthfeel of the bock isn't bad.

Drinkability: its light and somewhat easy to drink, although I have to say I expected something with more flavor, I understand why Yuengling wanted to maintain their recognizable taste, but I think they could have made a much better bock than what I have sitting before me. (954 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -13.6%

Yuengling, America's oldest brewery with an old world style, bock,. Let's give it a whirl. Popping the bottle top reveals a fresh malty smell with a hint of black licorice. Poured into a pint glass the brew has a dark root beer color with a big multi-sized bubble head. Taste is starts out slightly metallic, then has a bitter maltiness that continues metallic and hints of black licorice come through. The beer has good body and the carbonation is good. The flavor is spot on for a bock. The metallic taste drops the flavor rating a bit. All in all a bargain beer for the price. (579 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -13%

12 oz. Very dark amber pour, a little over a finger of very frothy off white head. Laces ok. Not a bad looking brew.

Subdued aroma has some malt and caramel, some tea and herbal notes.

Taste is a bit off from what it should be. Some malt, bread, more herbs, grass, lots of tea. Finishes with herbal tea. Meh.

If you can get by the mediocre taste, it drinks fine and has a nice lighter mid body. (397 characters)

Yuengling Bock from Yuengling Brewery