Yuengling Bock - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Bock |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-08-2009)

Keith_R, Aug 15, 2012

Loaf31, Sep 17, 2012

RichWiegand, Jan 08, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -39.8%

When I was still new to beer my favorite style was the Bock. It had a medium body, taste, and low hops, giving it a nice rounded sweetness and easy drinkability. I'd heard Yuengling sometimes made a Bock and I've been excited about finding it for years until a few days ago when I finally came across it in person.

First impression is cool retro bottle, cheap price, easy twist off, and old american brewery! Upon pouring into a pint glass I see the clear medium-dark amber color as well as very harsh carbonation with loud bubbles and a very short lasting head.

Smell is hardly noticeable, with a slight malty dryness.

Taste is harsh carbonation with dry malty backbone. The finish is slighty dry/bitter yet not at all hoppy. I'm feeling a soapy/chemical aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and overly carbonated, it actually burns somewhat like drinking a soda.

Overall I have to say pass on this beer. I'm glad I only bought a single of it. Taste is bland/harsh and completely uneventful. While some boring beers are at least have a place in this world (macro lager on a hot summer day), this boring beer leaves your mouth somewhat annoyed.

Arknot, Apr 22, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -37.7%

Appearance- amber brown with crisp clarity, a white foam head the almost immediately quickly disappeared leaving fading bubbles up on top,

Smell- unique smell on this beer, a mix of a spicy kind of odor and malt, almost has some sort of sour smell to it, hmm weird

Taste- strong taste of hops and very slight malt flavor in the background, surprised for a yuengling beer at the amount of hops you get in the finish on this beer, there is still something strange about the flavor of this beer that I can not say I really love,

Mouthfeel- light with moderate carbonation

Drinkability- I will have to try this again but I have to say as of now I found this particular bottle to be pretty much down right bad, didnt taste like anything i would have expected for the style of a bock, just missed the mark on all points and I usually find yuengling stuff to be a nice deal, hmm give another try but not good

Stunner97, Feb 15, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -36.8%

Baby growler fill of this kid bock over at New Beer. Poured into a generic tumbler.

Lots of activity. Bottom up, it has as much activity as a glass of Coke. Tawny in color, with a quarter inch of thinning-out fizz.

Smell is a little weird at first. A little vegetable-y with a convincing whiff of sour cream. The end of it gets a little cola, but just not enough. Warming up, more of a numbing/spicy bitterness that's all too out of place.

Carbonation is great, but it's simply just cutting through water. Taste is of light wheat bread, in second place: charred malt, a much lesser amount of mixed vegetables, with mineral runoff & bitter tea on the somewhat lingering finish.

There's a desperate need of alcohol here, as it tastes a good bit like Goya Malta, or some other similar travesty. No phenols, no doughy feel, very noticeable corners cut. A very piss poor attempt. :|

PEBKAC, May 20, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

Look: Medium amber color, big fluffy head, light lacing

Smell: Slight malt, sweet, yeast

Taste: Up Front: Malt, caramel, soda. Finish: brown sugar, bread

Mouthfeel: Slight sweetness and dry

Drinkability: Its low ABV makes it a session beer. Just make sure I'm not drinking in on that session! Just kidding! I'll drink with anyone of our fanz!

Overall Impression: Yuengling is America's oldest brewery and they have been around 180 years, making them almost as old as Herr Rick (He is immortal ya know!) So I have a lot of respect for the brewery itself, it just is a weak beer for the style. Just not for me. But someone who is on a tight budget may consider this beer before moving up the ladder to "actual" Doublebocks!

BeerGodz, Mar 15, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

Bottle. No idea where or when I acquired this gem. Pours a clear, medium colored copper color with a thick fluffy light tan head. Vegetable mixed with caramel nose. Medium mouthfeel. The vegetable I smell and taste is tomato. I sorta has a stewed tomato taste...weird. The aroma and taste are not good but the look is awesome, great lacing and head retention just too bad the rest of this didn’t come together.

kbutler1, Jan 21, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

I am not sure if I am drinking a bad bock or a bad Yuengling lager. Not good. The goat...this is it. Outside of the inventive labeling there is nothing good going on here. I am actually very surprised they rolled this out as the first seasonal in Ohio. I would not want to buy another seasonal if I did not have a general respect for Yuengling as is. I will chalk this one up as a bad taste in an otherwise good brand. Sadly...a direct competitor to MGD.

somaohio, Feb 18, 2012

tommyguz, May 11, 2013

HRamz3, Aug 29, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -31.8%

I won't be bock.
I remember the dark sweet Easter drink from"childhood", those teens when Pops explained the goat among other things, you're not JFK and this is not bock. I was told that bock was done to clean out the 'STUFF" that accumulated in the brewery.

mart1018, Mar 11, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -30.3%

A - Pours a caramel colored brown. Looks like iced tead. Tan foamy head. Very clear, completely see through.

S - Biscuit maltiness. No real hop presence. There is a sharpness that I cannot quite pinpoint. It doesn't smell as sweet as other bocks I've had.

T - Tastes like a lager, with a twangy sharpness. Very one dimensional. Sort of malty, but very lackluster.

M - Medium body, yet some what water like. Leaves the tongue dry.

D - Meh. No thanks. There are so many great bocks out there, this one is not worth repeating.

Genghis22, Jul 05, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -28.8%

I gave the Bock of the last two years a medium to low rating, majorily due to the fact that Yuengling has given way to the pressure to release their beer all too soon. In years gone by, the Bock wasn't released until March and ran through June, normal Bock release time. Typically a Bock is created at the end of winter and cellared until the first thaw, this gives it the distinct flavors, and causes it to mature through age. The Bock of old would release in the spring and the taste would evolve throughout the relaese. When Yuengling releases the Bock it is not ready for consumation, and it will have a very strong taste, both hoppy and roasted in taste. In my experience, the beer will maturate over a period of months, each month mellowing in flavor and revealing more complexities of the original mash tun. Although I don't agree with what Dick is doing with the release date of his Bock, I have put a few 6-packs on the shelf for, say, April and May, they will definately have a different taste by then.

Slagpile, Mar 08, 2014
2.45/5  rDev -27.3%

Cool retro label on the bottle of a billy goat drinking out of a glass. Unfortunately, the label is what I liked best about this beer.
This is my first attempt with a Bock, so I have nothing from this style to compare it to.

This is a dark beer with a clear, brown/copper color with a tan head.

Medium bodied, Sweetness at first, but finishes with a dry bitterness.

I tried, but could not get excited about this one.

JohnFatAss, Feb 08, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -27.3%

Had this on tap while waiting to get into a movie on Friday. Was disappointed in my decision to try this brew (tap list included many great craft selections)

(from notes)
The beer was deep brown, with a reddish hue. Thick 1" white head. Tough to get any sort of aroma on this one, certainly nothing stands out.

Taste is more of the same, very unoffensive beer, but nothing shines either. Light toasted malt flavor, but light is the keyword here. No real hop presence, but in a bock, the malts should definitely stand out more than they do here. This beer reminds me of brewing in the macro style - don't do anything to turn off the masses.

Mouthfeel was medium body with only a little more presence than Yuengling's lager offering. Drinkability is good, a few of these would go down easy, not sure that I'd stick with this one however.

bwd110, Mar 09, 2009