Yuengling Bock - Yuengling Brewery

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-08-2009

Ratings: 667 | Reviews: 243
3.49/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From what I can remember from having this beer it was ok, it was not my favorite beer. But the taste was not all that bad. For a cheaper beer I would say that this is a decent beer. For myself I liked it but I like bock beer. This was not my favorite back beer but it was a decent beer.

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Yuengling Bock brewed Yuengling Brewery with an ABV of 5.10% This brew pours out a dark brown color with a nice white head. This is a filtered brew, you can see right thought it. The smell is rich with some caramel. You also pick up grains in the smell. The taste is rich and bold but also smooth. There is a lot going on in this brew. Yuengling Bock is a nice well balanced brew. There is nothing over powering in this brew. The start off of this brew, is nice and it has a nice smooth end. The mouthfeel is real nice and clean. This is a bock brew that I will buy again. Overall I'm giving Yuengling Bock a 4 out 5.

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Cola-brown body with a thin and fizzy white head. Rich malt nose; lightly burnt sugar. Mild toffee flavor and decent hop bitterness; hints of molasses and brown sugar. Medium-light body although it comes across a bit watery and overly effervescent.

A so-so bock. It lacks eye-appeal with its weak head. The taste is decent enough yet ultimately underwhelming with a lack of depth and complexity for the style.

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

Yuengling Bock from Yuengling Brewery is waning in quanitities here in Northeastern Ohio. So as a spring brew, I figured I'd grab a case up while I still can, early June as of this review's posting. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this brew had a very light brown head, a bout 2 fingers thick. Not much lacing here. The body is dark amber with slight transparency.

Smells like malt and molasses.

Taste is complimentary to the scent. Along with those characteristics, I'm also picking up a dash of bitterness that leaves the second I notice it.

Mouthfeel is what I would expect from a brew this dark, a little thicker with some residual spots here and there.

Overall a modest 3.25 is given to this seasonal bock brew from Yuengling. This is certainly a sipper. I would buy this brew again to compliment a heartier meal.

3.81/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This brew pours a deep brown/reddish/black color with a half-finger head a little of which remains on the top until the end. Very little lacing.

The smell is rich with nuts, roasted and sweet malts. There is also a hint of floral hops in the smell.

The taste is nutty with rich roasted malts at the forefront. A little chocolate and some floral hops on the back end. Just a tiny hint of alcohol leaks through.

The mouthfeel is crisp and filling, thick and bready. There is a little bitter, dry aftertaste on the back end.

Overall, this is a decent bock, however it does not taste as good as it smells. A little more flavor would be nice but this is not bad as long as you can find it cheap.

3.94/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner style glass.

Great looking bock, with a real beautiful body color. Shades of chestnut and mahogany red, light and glowing. Very fine rising carbonation through the middle. Head is a bit watery and soapy, makes only about two fingers and has thin retention. Pretty solid otherwise.

Very light toasted grains, and a small amount of toffee and sharp clove. Slightly fruity also a bit.

Highly crisp and light palate. Real interesting malt and toffee angle, which is light and hints at a nice sense of black licorice. Crisp and crackling finish and a bit of grass, with a hint of sharp carbonation and minerality. Quite interesting, and feels real unique. Liking this mix of light toffee, licorice, and prickly carbonation.

If there was a light bock out there that hit at simplicity and easy drinking this is it.

3.19/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

It sometimes amazes me, with all of my reviews, which ones have fallen through the cracks. In this case, it was probably due to its only being being bottled, but now is the time!

From the bottle: "Tastes Good".

I hope that the goat is right. My pour got me a finger of fizzy, light-tan head that quickly dropped out of existence. Color was a cola-brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a sugary malty sweetness and I was reminded why I may not have reviewed this previously. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery and the taste was actually not as sweet I had girded myself to expect. Instead, it had a slightly grassy hoppiness that helped to offset the malt. Finish was semi-sweet, but kind of bland for the style. I would be willing to try it again if they CAN it, but as long as it is bottle-only, it will remain a real one-and-done for me.

3.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear brown. Tan head that quickly dissipates with little lacing.

Smell: Nothing too strong, maybe some piney aroma.

Taste: Spices and malt, hops, roasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, average carbonation.

Overall: Not a bad beer and I am glad I had it. First had it from the tap which was much better than the bottle .

2.42/5  rDev -28.2%

I gave the Bock of the last two years a medium to low rating, majorily due to the fact that Yuengling has given way to the pressure to release their beer all too soon. In years gone by, the Bock wasn't released until March and ran through June, normal Bock release time. Typically a Bock is created at the end of winter and cellared until the first thaw, this gives it the distinct flavors, and causes it to mature through age. The Bock of old would release in the spring and the taste would evolve throughout the relaese. When Yuengling releases the Bock it is not ready for consumation, and it will have a very strong taste, both hoppy and roasted in taste. In my experience, the beer will maturate over a period of months, each month mellowing in flavor and revealing more complexities of the original mash tun. Although I don't agree with what Dick is doing with the release date of his Bock, I have put a few 6-packs on the shelf for, say, April and May, they will definately have a different taste by then.

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I love the idea of throwback bocks, and I understand that this beer has been around for a little while, but this was the first time I'd seen it in a local store. It's a very clear, chestnut colored brew, moderately low in carbonation, with a thin, whitish head. The smell is of an adjunct lager, mixed with some pleasant lightly toasted malt (identity crisis?). The taste is sweet, with some malt backbone...some macro corn-like flavors as well...more front-line bitterness than expected too. Medium in body, more than expected. This is not a great beer, but it isn't bad either. Like I said, I am a fan of throwback brews.

3.18/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Heavy mouthfeel, leaves a bitter aftertaste, yet easily drinkable. Just the right amount of carbonation, that aspect gets a win for me. Mid-brown color leaves a thin head almost no tracing. I get an earthy taste from this, some hints of wood as well. This beer definitely strong arms the pallet, cleanse before trying anything else, it sure will muddle it. I'll stick to the rules and not say which Bocks I had that were better, many were, but for the price, this one is acceptable.

1.36/5  rDev -59.6%

A: Brown amber color with two inch head.
S: Slight malt scent, smells similar to an American lager.
T: Simple malt on front end, no taste on back end, it disappears.
M: Thin, light body, flat with no carbonation.
O: Flat, simple, thin, disappointing.

1.69/5  rDev -49.9%

To call this a bock is like calling a pilsner an IPA, only backwards. It is the worst example of a bock I have ever tasted. It is twice as bitter and half as malty. I am thankful I only wasted money on a 6-pack. Someone should really educate them on the bock style. Yuengling makes a good lager. But as far as a bock it would not even be suitable for marinade.

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

OK..First Off,I Understand that "Yuengling Bock" is not a world class "Bock",and Admit it is not a Great Bock,However,I Personally Very much Like this Beer for what it is,and for what it is Not..It is a Very Light Bock,and if there is such a thing as a "Session Bock" then I think this is as close to one as you will Find,not Heavy or filling in the least,but with a nice,mild Roasty flavor.."Mild" Being the Key word here,
it seems that this beer gets it's fair share of less then stellar Reviews,and I suppose I can understand why..to a point,it is not what most people expect from a Bock Beer,I think most people expect tons of flavor,Very strong Roasty notes and an overall strong beer,and this Bock just is not that @ all,but as I said,I Myself Like this Beer a LOT,Maybe because I have been a longtime drinker of mass produced Macro Beers such as Bud,Coors,Miller,Pabst,Rolling Rock and such,and I find Yuengling Bock to be a Nice Alternative to these beers on the Hot days of summer,perhaps @ a cookout & summer parties outdoors,where a more traditional Bock would be way too Heavy and filling,Yuengling Bock is a perfect Fit,,[for me anyway;)] and while it is not full of flavor & taste,it sure as hell beats the crap out of the swill you will find at a lot of BBq's and Outdoor parties where there seems to be nothing but Coolers full of Bud Light,Coors Light and other Horrible, Watered down Soda water some people call "Beer"..YUCK!;)
In Closing I would just like to add,I think this beer gets a bit too much Negative press from people Comparing it to other,More Traditional Bocks,a lot of them costing @ least twice as much,I can pick up Yuengling Bock up all day long for around $6.50 a 6er,that is a VERY sweet price point for a good,smooth drinking beer of any type,let alone a Bock,and Personally ..I just enjoy this beer a lot & do not think it deserves the amount of hate it gets,but thats just my opinion man,so hate it if you want to,but me? I am gonna drink the hell out of it! hehe,cheers!

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bought a sixer at Beers of the World in Henrietta NY on sale for $5.  Seemed like a great buy considering Yuengling's popularity and the fact that not everyone makes Bock.

a. As I was travelling,  this was poured into the only non-disposable cup available, my coffee mug.  Attractive brown-amber with surprisingly little head even though served close to room temp.

s.  Nothing evident.

t. Mild-sweet, pleasant maltiness.

m. smooth.

o. A drinkable bock, not enough distinctive taste to get especially excited about, but a good solid pleasing beer with nothing to dislike about it. Have had two and the second was consistent with the first.

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

This was my first Bock experience and is was a good one I must say I do like and what I understand they just started brewing again after a long hiatus. Reddish color and very hoppy and Carmel taste. It is now I guess a seasonal brew for them and lets hope they continue brew for all to taste..

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

I am very satisfied with this attempt by yuengling. It gets a little old when you grew up around yuengling lager and constantly hear everyone boast about it. They have a nice niche. Note - this is a lager. I praise yuengling for marketing this attempt. That said, is it a world class bock? Hell no. Did I enjoy it? Hell yes. For the price and taste I would gladly buy this every time over regular yuengling lager. That is if they keep making it. Cheers to yueng for trying something different (or at least a little different.) And of course cheers to you, mateys!

3.49/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: Light dark bread note up front. Slight hint of sulfur in the background. Low dark fruit esters and a hint of earthy hop aroma.

Appearance: Clear copper pour with amber edges. Low off-white head that retains moderately.

Flavor: Dark bready character up front, a touch of spicy/earthy hop notes in the background to balance, and a hint of dark fruit. Nothing offensive, pronounced, or over the top. Balance is to the malt. Finish is crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. A slight carbonic bite but no alcohol heat or astringency.

Overall impression: A very approachable beer. Provides much more flavor than the typical industrial/commercial offerings. It will appeal to the masses but probably won't do much for any extreme beer enthusiasts. The product is nicely done and for the price point, I'll be bock.

2.78/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I just bought a 24-bottle case of thistuff down at my local beer distributor (PA.) Twas on sale $10 off since it's out of season by several months. (they kept it cold whole time, fortunately.)
i was in a mood for an un-pretentious lager or pilsener on this warm Spring late April day and et voila.
It is dark caramel/amber in appearance , doesn't have much going on in the nose, a grainy gritty slightly bitter taste and mouth-feel .
One cannot expect authentic German bock if Yuengling concocted this beer. It's very much Yuengling-y if y ou catch my drift .
You get what you pay for .
Would be good with sushi i'm thinking and burgers and Mexican fare . (your mileage may vary on food pairings, of course....)

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Toby Hill in Clarion, PA.

Rather boilerplate--but solid--example of the style. Pours a limp and nearly headless brown with an aroma of grass and sugar dusted caramel. Tastes sweet and crisp, with mild and zippy nodes of fruit, biscuits, and sugar against a pleasantly fleeting backend of grass and mild hops.

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Maroon color to the beer. However, no head. None. Looks unlike a beer.

Pretty robust and malty in the nose for a Yuengling. Some raisin, roast, cough syrup, and tinniness.

Bock-y roast and semi-fruitiness. Not terribly metallic, but it's here. Raisin, wet grain, dark bread, burnt sugar, wort-iness. Piquant in the finish, thanks to the stirring carbonation. Body is medium.

Eh, I'll be honest; I could easily have a few of these. Nothing too good. Just a malty Yuengling.

3.93/5  rDev +16.6%

Pored from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Medium amber color. Not too dark.

S: Light hops, not much of a malty aroma.

T: There is a balance of hops and malt, but the hops dominates. The hop flavor is not overly assertive, and overall the flavor is well balanced. It is very smooth, and interesting.

M: Thinner than I expect from a bock. It is light on the tongue.

O: Good bock, especially when I am in the mood for a slightly hoppy flavor. My only wish is that it would have a more substantial fell in the mouth.

1.85/5  rDev -45.1%

Bought as part of a 6 pack from Beers of the World on 3/29/13.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass served cool.

Perfectly clear dark amber with a 1 finger tannish gray head. no lacing.

aroma: not pleasant, reminds me a little of a dirty diaper.

mouthfeel: slightly better than average.

taste: some toasted malt with a slight caramel sweetness before a nasty cooked vegetable taste .it ends with a husky dried corn impression before a slight metallic bitterness.

notes: this is horrible beer. mean looking, wretched smelling and awful tasting. I couldn't finish it and am now stuck with 5 more bottles.

2.52/5  rDev -25.2%

There are two predominant characteristics of beer flavor: hops and malt. Some palates prefer one of these, I prefer a balance of the two as is found in the beers from Germany. This bock is an example of a typical American style of bock where the hops predominate and the malt sweetness is in the background. FIne if you prefer this style, a tragedy if you do not. I prefer a more balanced brew.

3.54/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Decided to try this, kind of been on a bock/double bock kick lately...felt it was smoother than conventional yuengling lager, with a more refined taste. Decent reddish-umber colour, smelled faint notes of caramel. Left little to no head (came from tap and what little head was there quickly dissipated), taste was conventional bock, without being too dry. All told, a pleasing beer, but not one i would go out of my way for.

Yuengling Bock from Yuengling Brewery