Yuengling Bock - Yuengling Brewery

Bock |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-08-2009

3.41/5  rDev +0.9%

Appears a filtered caramel amber hue with a full 2 fingers worth of foam, light khaki head dwindles at a moderate pace leaving scattered lacing to the sides of my glass. The retro Yuengling Bock label was a poster from when the brew was originally released.

Aroma is faint some mild fruitiness and a touch of caramel with light herbal hop accents, it's pretty straight forward. In the background there's some faint metallic slight mineral water notes going on.

Flavor is a balanced maltiness some earthy herbal hops roll in, with sweet caramel and slight tart apple fruit notes. Again the mineral content shines through with some metallic harshness but overall it doesn't get in the way of the overall experience.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with ample carbonation, doesn't seem the most natural but it works for me.

Drinkability overall is solid for what it is, a throwback "bock" beer from Yuengling is a welcome addition to their bottled lineup. I had it on tap last season when they first re released it. A beer that I will definitely enjoy again in the future, it's more interesting than most other macros out there trying to brew something different. (1,172 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +2.4%

The beer pours a translucent brown color with a 1/2" tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry pilsner and crystal malt scent along with a slightly metallic aroma. The taste is decent as well. It has a bone dry pilsner malt taste with a slight roasted/caramel character. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is your basic bock beer. It's easy drinking with non-offensive. (442 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a dark brown with traces of amber and a thin rocky off white head that is quickly banished to the land of wind and ghosts. Little lacing.

Sweet and malty. Slight toasty scent.

Taste is the same with a slightly bitter dry finish.

Creamy mouthfeel and a very thin body.

Nicely drinkable. Not too filling.

Good beer from yuengling though not amazing. (358 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -14.8%

I couldn't find a bottle date.
Appearance: Pours a darker amber color, with very little head and no lacing.

Smell: I took a big whiff of this one and . .. smelled something slightly familiar, Surprise! it smells similar to a Yuengling Lager, just to make sure I opened a Yuengling Lager that I had laying around to compare it to and I was right. The smell is similar, clearly there are more aromas in the Bock, but there is no denying that there is a similarity.

Taste: Tastes like a strong Yuengling Lager, just like the similarities between the smells, the taste of the Bock is a stronger more malty version of the Lager.

Mouthfeel: O.K. the mouthfeel of the bock isn't bad.

Drinkability: its light and somewhat easy to drink, although I have to say I expected something with more flavor, I understand why Yuengling wanted to maintain their recognizable taste, but I think they could have made a much better bock than what I have sitting before me. (954 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -13%

appearance: fizzy brownish mess, siome nice copper dapple though

smell: light of anything, some roatsed malt but smells liek a macro

taste: dark malts upfront but the macro impurities dark over the beer.

mouthfeel: lite bodied :(

drinkability: not good, wouldnt try again but certaintly not the worst beer in the world. (323 characters)

Fresh bottle pour into pint glass....my first Yuengling! Really like that they brought this one back and used a very cool retro-40's label; the label adhesive is a tad weak though, and were coming off...

A: OK looking brew, for a bock, kind of a cross between Coke and cough syrup! Clear light head, some lacing on glass, slight carbonation

S: again, ok, average light maltiness, some faint breadiness as well, not big in the smell dept!

T: not bad overall, an easy sipping low ABV bock, light bodied, getting mostly sweet malts but not very full bodied for this style

MF: so so again, bit on the lightweight side, as above attributes

D: Glad I bought a sixer of this to try, would try again and want to try other Yuengling beers as well when I get a chance

The label is really cool, just wish they had used some better quality adhesive! (843 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +6.8%

Yuengling Bock is a very clear and sparkling copper lager with a bubbly khaki head that leaves solid sheets of lacing on the glass. The aroma is a touch sweet and pretzely. Smells kind of like malt extract. It smells like brewing beer and baking pretzels. It's medium light bodied and pretty lively. The finish is a little gritty, but pretty clean. It has a malty, pretzely flavor. There's a nice toastiness to it. There's a touch of caramel and maybe even chocolate. A soft slightly herbal bitterness zips it up. This beer was a pleasant surprise. (548 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -35.5%

Look: Medium amber color, big fluffy head, light lacing

Smell: Slight malt, sweet, yeast

Taste: Up Front: Malt, caramel, soda. Finish: brown sugar, bread

Mouthfeel: Slight sweetness and dry

Drinkability: Its low ABV makes it a session beer. Just make sure I'm not drinking in on that session! Just kidding! I'll drink with anyone of our fanz!

Overall Impression: Yuengling is America's oldest brewery and they have been around 180 years, making them almost as old as Herr Rick (He is immortal ya know!) So I have a lot of respect for the brewery itself, it just is a weak beer for the style. Just not for me. But someone who is on a tight budget may consider this beer before moving up the ladder to "actual" Doublebocks! (726 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Cola dark with carbonating head that dissipates fairly quickly.
Smell: Light malty aroma with a lighter hop presence.
Taste: Malts and hops balance well here with a nod to the malts. These malts carry very subtle notes of currant and cocoa. A hop bitterness pulls through towards the end of the tasting. Finish is clean.
Mouthfeel: Quite smooth and medium-bodied, though perhaps a little thinner for the style.
Drinkability: Good drinkability for the style.

Overall, a style well-represented by Yuengling. A bit lighter than other Bocks I've had, but a good try nonetheless. (590 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

Not my typical Yuengling, but I had to try it. Pours Mahogony to brown with a nice head at first. Leaves a tiny bit of lace. Smells a bit toasty with tiny bit of a plastic/cough syrup flavor in it. Carbonated well with a malty finish. I would buy again.
-Bye (259 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +16%

"Basically, this beer was a symbol of better times to come and moving away from winter."-BA

Let's hope this is true because I'm ready for the warm weather :)

Poured a clear dark brown. Not much head or lacing, but this beer is pretty light on the hops, so no surprise there. Aroma is of roasted malt as is the taste. A little bit of cocoa comes through, but very subtly.

This beer surprised me for some reason. I'm not tradtionally a big fan of bocks, but I think this one will make me seek more out in the future. Just another solid beer from Yuengling. (557 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a crystal clear brown color with loose tan head that settles into a sparse cap. The aroma has some standard grainy sweetness, perhaps a touch of caramel and metallic notes. Not sure if I am digging the aroma too much. The taste is quite neutral, leaning on the grainy sweetness. Not much, if any, flavor from the darker malts. As with the aroma there is a metallic twang towards the end. Perhaps some tea like flavors. The feel is light with fizzy carbonation; finishes with what seems to be a grassy hop bitterness, though not strong. A very average bock at best. It looks the part but lacks the depth of flavors. The body and overall feel seems off. (657 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz bottle

App: A dark brown, but rather brilliant when held up to the light. Solid tan head with some lacing.

Smell: The smell of this beer does a number on the senses. Strong aromas of sweet roasted malt (with a hint of sourness) backed by a firm herbal, slightly fruity hop presence.

Taste: Bitterness is the dominant player in this beer. Dry, earthy flavors control. Roasted grain and nuts are matched equally by the herbal hop bitterness. Any sweetness comes in the end and smooths the palate in the form of caramel and sweet bread. The occasional tinge of alcohol makes itself known.

Medium body that barely stands up to the bock name (648 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5%

Pours darkish amber - like the color of the bottle. With a thin oily/cloudy head.

First impression is very malty... smell is dark malts.

Taste is slightly malty with a smooth finish. Like their more famous, Philly phavorite Lager but with a little more bite.

This is a new product - a seasonal release with a great label. The label is a ram sipping from a goblet with the words "Tastes Good". It's taken from 1941 signage. Very cool. Considering its limited availability I'm glad I got my hands one one.

As a history teacher I appreciate Yuengling's status as the oldest brewery. As a Philadelphian, I've drank more than my share of their Lager. I applaud Yeungling any chance I get. They're the best thing going in Pottsville. (732 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

Pour into chalice as pictured on the label. Goat seems to like this brew and I did too.
It has a dark brown color and a nice creamy foam. Smell the malt right away but not too strong. Taste the malt and a good flavorful beer. Its not too carbonated and doesn't leave you feeling bloated. The beer goes down nice and easy. Its an easy drinking beer.

After having the first bottle I drank two more while eating Beef Stew. I think this beer goes well with it.

I bought a sixer for $6.29. Not bad. The carton and the label on the beer didn't have much info about the beer. In fact the labels on the bottles are coming off. Cheap production, I guess.

I was glad to try this beer but I don't think I'll buy again until next year. If I see it on tap then I'll order it.

Actually, I saw the Bock at another store so I bought 2 sixers. One for me and another for sharing. If these seasonals are still sitting on the shelves then I should continue to buy them, fo rfear that the store will not re-order. (1,001 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +28.7%

Pours a very nice shimmering brown with some decent head and lacing. Nice crisp malt scent, fairly thick with a hint of lager skunk. Excellent taste, very deep for a bock, with nice dark malt flavors, a nice sweetness, and a hint of caramel. Goes down extremely good. A great bock, and the best for its cost. (308 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +0.3%

Overall, this is like a darker, amped-up version of the more and more ubiquitous Yuengling Lager. If the Lager was like your best friend when you were in middle school, the Bock would be like your friend's smooth, athletic older brother who has a girlfriend and drives a Camaro. Looking back later in life, you realize that the girlfriend wasn't that big of a prize since she still works at the local movie theater, the Camaro was in lousy running shape, and he was never more than a benchwarmer on the high school basketball team. Despite all of that, though, he was still a nice guy who gave you a high five every time he saw you, so he was still pretty cool in your eyes. In other words, this beer may not be the most complex or satisfying selection, but being the cool older brother to Yuenling Lager is still something worthy of appreciation.

Honestly, though, the Bock pours a nice medium brown, with a thick head of cream-colored, soapy bubbles that soon calm down into a nice thin (but present) cap of foam. The aroma is a bit of a bummer, smelling mostly of adjuncts and grains, with a bit of roasted, bready malt. Fortunately, the flavor is an improvement. Although still a bit grainy and metallic, there is also a subtle kiss of dry and dark caramel sweetness. The mouthfeel is thin for sure, but it is smooth and a bit resinous, leaving an impression that lasts for at least a little while. In sum, although not a standard-setter by an means, this one is better than most mass-produced adjunct-laden fare, making it pleasant enough to drink.

* Extra points on both appearance and drinkability for the label featuring a goat drinking beer from a goblet, with the tagline "Tastes Good"... that really turns me on. (1,725 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours brown with a large ecru head that fades fast.

The aroma is malty with hints of chocolate. Maybe some yeast and hops, but they're almost an afterthought.

A pleasant (albeit unexpected) hoppiness opens on the tongue and rolls out to sweet, adjuncty malts--mostly corn--and the slightest hint of chocolate. The hops lash back, and everything's rounded out for a balanced finish. The carbonation is on point, but the taste of corn hangs out a bit too long.

I only bought a single and didn't check the price of a sixer, but I could easily see this replacing the Lager as my go-to cheap beer. (595 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

I wanted to try one of these so Thanks go out to a kind beer buddy who hooked me up.
Poured into a Sam Adams glass It produced a finger worth of off white head that lasted a while then faded to a thin lace. The beer was a great chocolate brown in color body wise.

I got good aromas of fresh bread and light roast in my nose. The flavor was bready and sweet with a light bitter finish. It was light and crisp in the mouth. If I closed my eyes I wouldn't have known this was a dark brew.

It was very easy to drink and could easily session this one. I was quite impressed with this brew and would love to drink it again (618 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

Nice clear chestnut colored beer with a thin tan head. The head has some staying power and the lacing left behind is decent.

A thin malt aroma, with some mild roasty character. Smells chalky if that's possible. Tastes thin also, with some roasted malt and adjunct flavor. Nothing going on in the hop department, with only a touch of bitterness in the finish.

This beer does have nice body, smooth despite being highly carbonated. It comes across as being rather filling though. None of this is reconcilable with the not-so-bold aroma and taste.

I guess this is better than the lager or premium, but it's not a beer I would care to drink any more of. One bottle is plenty. (675 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +21.9%

12 oz. bottle pourend into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a brown-hazelnut; little head, what is there is thin and filmy; beer is clear and sparkly, with dark amber- reddish hints; lacing left on surface of beer is minimal but slightly sticky on the inside of the pint glass.

Smell: At first, nutty with roasted malt elements; subtle spiciness and a crisp hop aroma also present; toasted marshmallow and mild sweetness on the back end.

Taste: Similar if not same as smell; malt, floral hoppiness with spicy undertones.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly crisp from carbonation; overall, a good mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very, very, drinkable; have now finished three in about 25 minutes, and could easily drink more.

Serving type: bottle (734 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazlenut tawny brown color with a very small thin head. Crystal clear with reddish hues. Zero lacing and the head dissapated to a thin film and collar around the glass.

Smell: Smells a bit nutty and malty. A hint of spiciness and a crisp hoppy backnote. A hint of toasted marshmallow and mild sweetness on the back end.

Taste: Tastes malty and spicy with floral hop bit on the back end that just balances out the sweetness enough. very light and ephervescant. Very light on the palate and a good example of a light bock.

Mouthfeel: A little over carbonated and light for my palate. Crisp finish and overall its enjoyable.

Drinkability: Very high drinkability: medium malt background and a light crisp finish paired with a low abv makes this a great session beer. (834 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not ever much of a darker beer drinker, myself, but I'd wanted to find a dark beer I would be able to enjoy during the fall/winter season. So, I had heard about the limited release (first time ever bottled) of this beer from friends and decided to give it a go.
Maybe my taste buds just were overpowered by the many other dark beers I'd tried in the past. Straight up, I was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed this beer from start to finish. I wouldn't try to predict how those committed dark beer aficionados may or may not appreciate Yuengling's Bock, but from the standpoint of a now casual/seasonal dark drinker, this one may fit the bill for drinkers who were previously turned off by darker beers. The major challenge for me now, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that it's limited release is only for a few more weeks, then it won't be available again until next January. (896 characters)

3.38/5  rDev 0%

Presented with a funky retro label featuring a ram sipping on some beer - with the precaution that it "tastes good."

A - Pours a dark brown copper with an off-white head that settles quickly. Decent retention with some nice lacing.

S - Smell is interesting - there's something there that is very familiar but I can't quite place. A bit of roasted and caramel malt with some bready undertones.

T - Taste is interesting as well - that same flavor that I can't quite place, followed by the caramel malt and some hop bitterness. Biscuity and roasted. Unique, and it's growing on me.

M - Mouthfeel is good. Decent carbonation, light to medium body.

D - Good. Easy drinking, overall.

This is a little hoppier than most bocks, but I certainly wouldn't say it was a hoppy beer. An interesting roasted flavor makes it worth trying, but it's not exactly outstanding by any means. (875 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a dark copper color, or maybe more of a light brown, with an inch of light tan head. Keeps a pretty full but thin lace and leaves a couple rings of stick on the sides.

Smell is pretty grainy but has some caramel in there, with a bready quality to it.

Taste is also pretty grainy with a bit of caramel but it has an astringent bite to it that is somewhat unpleasant. It's a husky, bitter sort of flavor. It also lingers into the finish.

Mouthfeel is a light-medium body and it feels thin. A bit on the watery side and the astringency doesn't help.

This is a mediocre bock at best, and I would actually classify it as a disappointment. Yuengling makes quality beer at a great pricepoint, and I buy Lager and Black and Tan with some regularity, but this one comes up a bit short. There are much better bocks out there even at this pricepoint - Stegmaier for example is quite a bit better. (895 characters)

Yuengling Bock from Yuengling Brewery