Yuengling Bock - Yuengling Brewery

Bock |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-08-2009

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

Nice clear chestnut colored beer with a thin tan head. The head has some staying power and the lacing left behind is decent.

A thin malt aroma, with some mild roasty character. Smells chalky if that's possible. Tastes thin also, with some roasted malt and adjunct flavor. Nothing going on in the hop department, with only a touch of bitterness in the finish.

This beer does have nice body, smooth despite being highly carbonated. It comes across as being rather filling though. None of this is reconcilable with the not-so-bold aroma and taste.

I guess this is better than the lager or premium, but it's not a beer I would care to drink any more of. One bottle is plenty. (675 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured a dark cherry brown with ruby tint, nice two finger white head with moderate retention and some lacing.

Aroma of malt, grain and bread.

Taste lead with the malt, bread and finished with a slight hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel was light body and lots of carbonation. As the beer warmed, it started to become thin and watery. My drinking companion noticed the same thing.

Drinkability was good at first then the characteristic of the beer went down hill as it warmed. This is an average bock at best and not one of Yuengling's finest. (538 characters)

look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Maroon color to the beer. However, no head. None. Looks unlike a beer.

Pretty robust and malty in the nose for a Yuengling. Some raisin, roast, cough syrup, and tinniness.

Bock-y roast and semi-fruitiness. Not terribly metallic, but it's here. Raisin, wet grain, dark bread, burnt sugar, wort-iness. Piquant in the finish, thanks to the stirring carbonation. Body is medium.

Eh, I'll be honest; I could easily have a few of these. Nothing too good. Just a malty Yuengling. (475 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -8%

This poured a clear dark mahogany with light tan head. It smelled like bready yeast and roasted barley, with some lemon and copper hops and caramel malt. It tasted like lemon and copper hops with bready yeast and dirty barley and light caramel malt. It was watery with lots of carbonation, and had a bittersweet aftertaste. Overall this was an unimpressive beer with too much hops and not enough malt. The flavor wasn't very clean, and the body was too bubbly and thin. This wasn't a very good example of the style, and isn't recommended. (Although it honestly wasn't offensive to drink, so I could easily finish my bottle. It was just boring and wasn't what I look for in a bock.) (681 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -7.1%

Review is from notes taken on 4/18/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a deep coppery brown with ruby highlights; starts with a light tan head that is 1 and 1/2 fingers deep that becomes pock marked as it eventually fades to a full, but very thin skim; body is very clear and shows strong carbonation; very nice washes and spots of lacing hold fast to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Some toasty grains, a bit of a mild malt backing; doesn't smell too far off from the standard Yuengling lager, but it's a bit mustier and not especially appealing.

Taste: Light and toasty grains right up front and at first, it's very much like the standard lager offering from this brewery, but the grains are followed by a moderately sweet maltiness to make it a little more bock-like, but certainly not a stand-out bock -- the bottle says it "Tastes Good," but perhaps it should say, "Not Bad."

Mouthfeel: A little thicker and chewier than the standard lager; nice and strong carbonation that avoids being sharp; a fair and dry coating is left on the roof of the mouth.

Drinkability: Meh, not bad. Flavors are alright, doesn't sit heavy and the ABV is certainly more than manageable, but overall, it's a pretty average-at-best offering. (1,259 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -6.8%

On tap at Goodnight Irene's in North Wildwood...
Appears a transparent, copper toned amber with a small, off white head that leaves whispey traces of lacing left around the glass.
Smell is of sourdough bread, caramel, toffee, toasted nuts, and molasses.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas...dare I say, "too much sourdough tartness?" It reminds me a bit of an Oktoberfest that has had some lactic acid blended before bottling.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, creamy, sweet, a bit tart.
I actually like the idea of Yuengling doing a seasonal selection. It's much overdue. I think this one was a bit off kilter but I think there is a good chance that improvements could be made with this one. I also like the/my idea of a possible "Festbier" from the folks at Yuengling. I believe they could capitalize on that one during the Fall season with their signature lager yeast. (863 characters)

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Brown to Copper in color, about a fingers worth of head that settles to a ring with a little lacing.

S: Nutty roasted malt, slightly sweet and bready. Just a little ripe fruit mixed in.

T: Close to the nose... the roasted malt is here but it is balanced with some floral hops, ending on the bitter side.

M: Smooth, slightly crisp from carbonation.

D: Not a bad little brew... Low in ABV and very drinkable. But there is something about the bitterness in the aftertaste that is not quite sitting right with me.

Good to see Yuengling brewing some different stuff... (609 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -6.8%

Nice coppery sort of color. Decent head that fades all to quickly. Bready aroma-somewhat nutty as well. Slight coppery/metalic tinge to it. Ok malty flavor-again a metallic presence detracts from the over all flavor. Mild caramel like flavor. Ok mouthfeel-lacks the malt body of a decent bock. Ok overall-nothing really stands out for me. Give me a regular Yuengling lager over this. (383 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -6.5%

12oz. brown bottle with no dating, poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance is a dark copper color, clear, with a couple of fingers worth of tan head. Lacing is decent.

There's not much in the way of aromas I can detect -- some caramel malt smells with also the bitter aroma of the hops. Definitely more hop presence than the malts.

Taste is mostly of the hop character and bitterness, with a little bit of the dark malt notes in the background. Seems a bit astringent to me as well. The feel is of a thin body with medium carbonation. Finishes with a dry aftertaste.

This is a decent beer for putting down when working in the garage, but seemed underwhelming to me. It also tastes more like an amber ale than a bock. Would not seek out again. (761 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured a dark amber color with very little offwhite head, not much lacing.

The scent was of caramel malts and citrus.

The taste was kind of light for a bock. Caramel malts are first, then there is a strong hit of mouth puckering citrus, some light hop bitterness also.

Light bodied, pretty smooth and prickly on the tongue, high carbonation.

This was an ok bock, I though it was a bit too thin and the citrus was a little out of balance. It seemed like it was like a Lager with double the malts and double the citrus. (521 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a dark copper color, or maybe more of a light brown, with an inch of light tan head. Keeps a pretty full but thin lace and leaves a couple rings of stick on the sides.

Smell is pretty grainy but has some caramel in there, with a bready quality to it.

Taste is also pretty grainy with a bit of caramel but it has an astringent bite to it that is somewhat unpleasant. It's a husky, bitter sort of flavor. It also lingers into the finish.

Mouthfeel is a light-medium body and it feels thin. A bit on the watery side and the astringency doesn't help.

This is a mediocre bock at best, and I would actually classify it as a disappointment. Yuengling makes quality beer at a great pricepoint, and I buy Lager and Black and Tan with some regularity, but this one comes up a bit short. There are much better bocks out there even at this pricepoint - Stegmaier for example is quite a bit better. (895 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Heavy mouthfeel, leaves a bitter aftertaste, yet easily drinkable. Just the right amount of carbonation, that aspect gets a win for me. Mid-brown color leaves a thin head almost no tracing. I get an earthy taste from this, some hints of wood as well. This beer definitely strong arms the pallet, cleanse before trying anything else, it sure will muddle it. I'll stick to the rules and not say which Bocks I had that were better, many were, but for the price, this one is acceptable. (482 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -5.9%

Served from tap into a standard pint glass.

A: dark brown, tan colored head, a little lacing

S: faint malt aroma. not much else stands out

T: malty and bready. slightly sweet. hop bitterness is masked by the malt character.

MF: medium bodied, moderate carbonation

Drinkability: this beer is decent. nothing unique about it, just a standard, everyday bock. (360 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Chill-hazed copper in color, with a nice, two-inch bone-white head of foam.
Aroma-Flowery, sweet malt
Taste-Watered-down sweet malt,faintly metallic finish. Taste did not match the looks or smell of this beer. Many better bock beers out there. (298 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

It sometimes amazes me, with all of my reviews, which ones have fallen through the cracks. In this case, it was probably due to its only being being bottled, but now is the time!

From the bottle: "Tastes Good".

I hope that the goat is right. My pour got me a finger of fizzy, light-tan head that quickly dropped out of existence. Color was a cola-brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a sugary malty sweetness and I was reminded why I may not have reviewed this previously. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery and the taste was actually not as sweet I had girded myself to expect. Instead, it had a slightly grassy hoppiness that helped to offset the malt. Finish was semi-sweet, but kind of bland for the style. I would be willing to try it again if they CAN it, but as long as it is bottle-only, it will remain a real one-and-done for me. (871 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

Clean tasting bock with grainy sweet flavors of of bread and toast, and an appropriate amount of hop bitterness. Not much hops beyond bittering. A little thin in body and weak in alcohol for the style, but nice clean flavors of rich grains make this an easy drinking beer. (272 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

Not a bad beer, tastes pretty similar to Yuengling's other offerings. Smooth and refreshing. In my honest opinion it tastes identical to Black and Tan, maybe with a few little differences. It is definetely a refreshing beer and could possibly work as a session drinker. If I wasn't born and raised a PA Coal Crack I would probably not even review yuengling, but since I grew up with these guys I have no other choice than to let me pride show. (443 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

Well, guess this is going to be interesting. Pour is deep amber, but still translucent. Tight white head with small bubbles. The smell is candied and burnt sugar with touches of caramel. It starts out nice and light. Cereal grains dominate at the beginning, but it finishes overly sticky sweet with burnt sugars really dominating, to a sickening thing. It was like eating brown sugar near the end. (397 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First of all, Love the label on this beer! It pours a clear reddish brown color with small ring of white foam that lingers. Aroma is rather faint. Toasty caramel malts. Faint hop presence. Flavor is is a little malty. Not too sweet as some other bocks are and a bit watery. There is a little hops bitterness in the ever-so quick finish. Actually kinda resembles their Traditional Lager. Thin but slightly creamy and soft mouthfeel. Still, watery. (446 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I love the idea of throwback bocks, and I understand that this beer has been around for a little while, but this was the first time I'd seen it in a local store. It's a very clear, chestnut colored brew, moderately low in carbonation, with a thin, whitish head. The smell is of an adjunct lager, mixed with some pleasant lightly toasted malt (identity crisis?). The taste is sweet, with some malt backbone...some macro corn-like flavors as well...more front-line bitterness than expected too. Medium in body, more than expected. This is not a great beer, but it isn't bad either. Like I said, I am a fan of throwback brews. (623 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5%

Pours darkish amber - like the color of the bottle. With a thin oily/cloudy head.

First impression is very malty... smell is dark malts.

Taste is slightly malty with a smooth finish. Like their more famous, Philly phavorite Lager but with a little more bite.

This is a new product - a seasonal release with a great label. The label is a ram sipping from a goblet with the words "Tastes Good". It's taken from 1941 signage. Very cool. Considering its limited availability I'm glad I got my hands one one.

As a history teacher I appreciate Yuengling's status as the oldest brewery. As a Philadelphian, I've drank more than my share of their Lager. I applaud Yeungling any chance I get. They're the best thing going in Pottsville. (732 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5%

I found individual bottles on sale for $2 apiece, so I figured it was worth giving this a try.

It's a pretty beer, with a dark orange-red color that almost appears to be brown. The aroma is interesting as I smell generic macro (OK, I admit Yuengling isn't a "macro" brewery) graininess but I also smell some hops. I'm interested to find out what the beer actually tastes like.

I soon discover I don't taste a lot of graininess or hoppiness. Instead, I get some fruitiness, perhaps some apple or pear. It vaguely, VAGUELY reminds me of Anchor Steam Beer, except it's rougher, without a balancing hoppy finish.

This is yet another Yuengling offering I wouldn't seek out again but wouldn't decline of offered. (709 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -4.7%

C'mon, Dick, y'all could've done a better job with this one. I suppose I understand if you'd want this to be as palatable as it can be for your core Lager-drinking market, but something just ain't right with this here "Bock".

From the thin-looking, too-light & too-clear cola brown, cola-bubbly, with sad brownish-off-white fizzy head presentation (though, backing up, I love the Art Deco label with drunken goat), to the all-up-front-vanishes-in-flash, burnt popcorn kernel, bittersweet malt, bitter roast, sweet toast, burnt-toasty maple syrup, burnt caramel taste, to its real clean, real dry, little sizzle (this beer bites, literally), little strength, and NO DEPTH....I feel like there's a little left to be desired here.

Add some UMPH! - not a whole lot - and I think it would improve a bit. The bitter bite, wherever it comes from, got to me the most although it seems to mellow out a bit, and the flavor improves, when it's not so cold.

Still, I'll take your porter 10 times out of 10 over this one. (1,011 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a chocolate in color with about an inch of tan head and a bit of lacing. Smells slightly smoky, nutty, and malty.

Taste is malty and nutty, sim at to the smell. Finishes slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is good and well balanced. Overall, a decent brew. Nothing outstanding but it's solid. (291 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Deep red-amber in color with a thin light tan head that dissipated fast, the aroma was faintly sweet and maybe a little malty. The beer had more hop flavor than I expected as well as more hang. The bottom line was that at $4.99/six at Total Wine this is a good beer at a cheap price. (319 characters)

Yuengling Bock from Yuengling Brewery