Yuengling Bock - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Bock |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-08-2009)

4.03/5  rDev +19.6%

A clear brown throughout with a good resilient head that left some lace.
Smell is malty, light hops, dark cherries, oak, peat with a slight amount of citrus.
Taste is malt (though more restrained), hops step up (a bit better balanced), citrus note with very slight wood and herbal notes.
Medium bodied with a slightly watery, though smooth, finish.
A fine beer for sure, the best from this brewer I've had.

4.04/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours dark brown with a brown head with good lacing that remains throughout.
Malty, with a light chocolate aroma, licorice, a little sweet, creamy - very nice, especiall at the price.
Very drinkable, a high value brew at $5.99 a six pack (here in Ga.).
IMO this beer carries characteristics that you rarely get at this price point
Best beer Yuengling makes

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

This is a good dark beer with a very appealing smell thou a bit weak. It has a very bold taste with a kind of citrus undertone. There was another flavor in it I couldn't quite put my finger on. This beer wasn't as smooth as other beers I've had in the past, so it was a little rough in the mouth and I had trouble drinking a lot of them in a rapid fashion.

All in all this beer is worth a try. I also just found out it is a spring beer so that's pretty cool i guess.

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

Pour into chalice as pictured on the label. Goat seems to like this brew and I did too.
It has a dark brown color and a nice creamy foam. Smell the malt right away but not too strong. Taste the malt and a good flavorful beer. Its not too carbonated and doesn't leave you feeling bloated. The beer goes down nice and easy. Its an easy drinking beer.

After having the first bottle I drank two more while eating Beef Stew. I think this beer goes well with it.

I bought a sixer for $6.29. Not bad. The carton and the label on the beer didn't have much info about the beer. In fact the labels on the bottles are coming off. Cheap production, I guess.

I was glad to try this beer but I don't think I'll buy again until next year. If I see it on tap then I'll order it.

Actually, I saw the Bock at another store so I bought 2 sixers. One for me and another for sharing. If these seasonals are still sitting on the shelves then I should continue to buy them, fo rfear that the store will not re-order.

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

With an intentionally hard pour, this brew shows moderately carbonic with a thin off-white frothy head. Dark, almost the color of rootbeer, it's quite visually enticing. The nose is mildly hoppy, actually quite hoppy for product from this brewery.
Clear to lightly roasted malts along with a underlying essence of mallow sweetness makes for a pleasant and welcoming nose. Wow! This is a nice tasting brew; malty with a subliminal hint of ferrous in the mouth, a tad sticky and just a hint of acidity makes this clearly my favorite beer from Yuengling. Super refreshing with lots of active carbonation in the mouth make this a great all year brew; light to moderate in weight, this great product can be consumed effortlessly.
Americas oldest brewery may be producing one of the best mass American macros!
Got session?

4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

This is a beer that I never thought that I would like. I had a few sips off my buddies one night at a local tavern and ended up buying my own bottle.

The smell was very earthy and clean. No skunk or bitterness. Tasted great. Again very clean to the palate with no real aftertaste and a little watery but very tasty. This beer was not an "In your face" beer. Very laid back and different. I am not a fan of Yuengling Black and Tan and can barely drink a Yuengling Traditional. Its a different change in pace for a college kid throwing back miller lite and keystones all the time. I am a mainstream macro kinda guy.. and this was a delicious beer. The mouth feel was again not in your face and the drink ability was fair.. maybe a little heavy. I think that 1 or 2 of these would be good with a nice dinner or calm night. Its a good beer to cherish and drink for taste. I will definitely be seeing this beer again in my future and I will recommend it to those who want to break out of the Macro League. Its definitely different but a good different.

4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

12 oz bottle poured into the Bock Beer pils/flute, Yuengling Bock is a pale mahogany with a small off-white head leaving light lace.

Smell is sweet, a little caramel, nice fresh bread

Taste is nicely balanced, not as sweet as I expected, nice hop bitterness to temper without tipping to far in the other direction.

Mouthfeel light, dry.

Drinkability is good, tasty bock, full flavor but light and balanced enough to enjoy on a brisk spring day working the yard, or in my case, after.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

For a seasonal Yuengling, this was quite good. Good off white/linen colour head to it. Went from a 1.5 inch to about a 1/2 inch. Semi good lacing. Neat red hue to it.

The taste was interesting, depending on what I was eating. Empty stomach was smooth and then with a taste familiar to regular Yuengling Lager. Not really bitter at all. Over all a very easy tasting/drinking beer.

Wouldn't recommend eating anything spicy or sweet. That threw it off big time. Couldn't finish the last because I went and spoiled my pallet. Goes well with a meal, not so much a snack or desert.

Good job Yuengling, and look forward to future endeavors.

4.13/5  rDev +22.6%

12 oz. bottle pourend into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a brown-hazelnut; little head, what is there is thin and filmy; beer is clear and sparkly, with dark amber- reddish hints; lacing left on surface of beer is minimal but slightly sticky on the inside of the pint glass.

Smell: At first, nutty with roasted malt elements; subtle spiciness and a crisp hop aroma also present; toasted marshmallow and mild sweetness on the back end.

Taste: Similar if not same as smell; malt, floral hoppiness with spicy undertones.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly crisp from carbonation; overall, a good mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very, very, drinkable; have now finished three in about 25 minutes, and could easily drink more.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

12oz bottled Jan 13, 2011.

Pours clear reddish-copper with a two finger off white head that dissipates to a wispy cap but leaves some rings of lacing.

Aroma is caramel, toffee, nuts, toasted bread, light grain, bit of hops and dark fruit. Good strength.

Flavor is caramel malt with moderate sweetness, toffee, brown sugar, nuts, toast, a hint of raisins, lingering finish.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium, good carbonation.

Haven't had a Dunkler Bock before, and few other Bock styles, but I'm quite enjoying this one.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

I was excited to see this new offering from Yuengling, whose traditional Lager I love.

Appearance - Poured into a Pint-sized beer glass produces a modest head that eventually dissipates. Laces nicely, more heavily than the traditional Lager. Lighter than cola in color.

Smell - Herbed caramel, present but not overpowering.

Taste - Perhaps more strongly hopped than most bocks, which traditionally are not strongly hopped. Pleasantly light malt flavor that is closest to maple and slightly cocoa. Taste lingers in mouth.

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

a: This was a dark, sparkling chestnut brown color. It poured with a thick, chunky head that faded to sheets of lace.

s: Wow, there is a lot going on here. I wasn't expecting anything like this! Sweet breadiness takes a back seat to the surprisingly assertive noble, spicy hop aromas.

t: This was incredibly fresh tasting overall. Those spicy, almost mineraly, noble hops almost dominate. Some sweet bread flavors do sneak through on occasion. The finishing hop tingle lingers for a long time.

m: Gently fizzy carbonation and that long aftertaste work very well.

d: I'm absolutely stunned by how good this is. I'm definitely getting more of this.

4.22/5  rDev +25.2%

I wanted to try one of these so Thanks go out to a kind beer buddy who hooked me up.
Poured into a Sam Adams glass It produced a finger worth of off white head that lasted a while then faded to a thin lace. The beer was a great chocolate brown in color body wise.

I got good aromas of fresh bread and light roast in my nose. The flavor was bready and sweet with a light bitter finish. It was light and crisp in the mouth. If I closed my eyes I wouldn't have known this was a dark brew.

It was very easy to drink and could easily session this one. I was quite impressed with this brew and would love to drink it again

4.22/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours reddish chocolate. Rich head with tight bubbles. Lace clings generously to side of glass.

Nose is sweet malt with slight whisky sweetness balanced by nicely porportioned hop florals.

Taste is first of some hop bitterness followed mellow sweetness, and some slightly astringent fizzyness. Slightly too bitter for style, but highly drinkable nonetheless.

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A. Poured ontap. The tap handle had an old school Yuengling logo and a goatshead, which is traditionally associated with the bock style. Fluffy pillowy off white head on a brownish malty looking body.

S. Smell is of malts and is inviting but not really strong, I was outside though.

T. Where have you been all my life, BockBier? This is great. Toasted malt sweetness, a bit sugary and bready. Just a touch of hops to balance. Nothing out of place. This is a beer you can live off of.

M. Full bodied and very smooth drinking.

D. Yuengling dials in a winner here. Excellent brew, and better than the rest of the Yuengling line, which is not too shabby. Would buy cases of this.

4.33/5  rDev +28.5%

On tap at Mr. Beerys in Bethpage, NY.

Poured a medium amber hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a subtly sweet malt and a spicy herbal hop.

The taste consisted of an upfront spicy, almost citric hop, followed by a very nice moderate malt. Very well balanced.

The mouthfeel was toward the cleaner side of the style.

Overall a very tasty and well made bock. Bravo. I look forward to many more of these.

4.33/5  rDev +28.5%

Taste: malt, caramel, oats...all light yet balanced
Mouth: thirst quenching, good carbs, not too thick.

The beer will produce good head, and following Yuengling characteristics, they make a beer that will cater to a very wide variety of drinkers form the Mass produced to the connoieseur. Budweiser fan would enjoy this beer as well as a discriminating home brewer.

Very drinkable and a nice product from Yuengling.

For BOTTLE: reviewer DonMonkey1 was spot on in his review.

Yuengling Bock from Yuengling Brewery