Yuengling Bock - Yuengling Brewery

Bock |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-08-2009

3.65/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

OK..First Off,I Understand that "Yuengling Bock" is not a world class "Bock",and Admit it is not a Great Bock,However,I Personally Very much Like this Beer for what it is,and for what it is Not..It is a Very Light Bock,and if there is such a thing as a "Session Bock" then I think this is as close to one as you will Find,not Heavy or filling in the least,but with a nice,mild Roasty flavor.."Mild" Being the Key word here,
it seems that this beer gets it's fair share of less then stellar Reviews,and I suppose I can understand why..to a point,it is not what most people expect from a Bock Beer,I think most people expect tons of flavor,Very strong Roasty notes and an overall strong beer,and this Bock just is not that @ all,but as I said,I Myself Like this Beer a LOT,Maybe because I have been a longtime drinker of mass produced Macro Beers such as Bud,Coors,Miller,Pabst,Rolling Rock and such,and I find Yuengling Bock to be a Nice Alternative to these beers on the Hot days of summer,perhaps @ a cookout & summer parties outdoors,where a more traditional Bock would be way too Heavy and filling,Yuengling Bock is a perfect Fit,,[for me anyway;)] and while it is not full of flavor & taste,it sure as hell beats the crap out of the swill you will find at a lot of BBq's and Outdoor parties where there seems to be nothing but Coolers full of Bud Light,Coors Light and other Horrible, Watered down Soda water some people call "Beer"..YUCK!;)
In Closing I would just like to add,I think this beer gets a bit too much Negative press from people Comparing it to other,More Traditional Bocks,a lot of them costing @ least twice as much,I can pick up Yuengling Bock up all day long for around $6.50 a 6er,that is a VERY sweet price point for a good,smooth drinking beer of any type,let alone a Bock,and Personally ..I just enjoy this beer a lot & do not think it deserves the amount of hate it gets,but thats just my opinion man,so hate it if you want to,but me? I am gonna drink the hell out of it! hehe,cheers!

2.72/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A - Deep brown to amber and crystal clear. Tan head with tight bubbles that leaves nice lace on side of glass. Very pretty.

S - Light chocolate malt aroma with a slight metallic tinge. Light burnt smell. Aroma seems a little simple for a bock.

T - Caramel and burnt malt flavor on the forefront. As with the aroma, the flavor is missing complexity and richness. Burnt malt and hop bitterness linger in finish.

F - Moderate carbonation and smooth. Light bodied for a bock and with quite a dry finish. I don't mind variations if it makes for a better beer, but this beer just feels a little thin.

D - Personally I'm a fan of Yuengling's flagship lager, but I don't feel that they did as a good a job with the bock. Nice to see them branching out, but I think they missed the mark on this beer.

2.94/5  rDev -13%

Had a free pint of this at Tremont Tavern.

A- Deep amber with an decent head and good retention

S- Sweat, sweet malt, some faint hops

T- Bready malt, biscuit, faint hops in the finish

M- Medium-ish

D- Fairly drinkable. I'd choose it over other brews from Pottsville, PA. Definitely beats the porter and the amber lager.

4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

Pour into chalice as pictured on the label. Goat seems to like this brew and I did too.
It has a dark brown color and a nice creamy foam. Smell the malt right away but not too strong. Taste the malt and a good flavorful beer. Its not too carbonated and doesn't leave you feeling bloated. The beer goes down nice and easy. Its an easy drinking beer.

After having the first bottle I drank two more while eating Beef Stew. I think this beer goes well with it.

I bought a sixer for $6.29. Not bad. The carton and the label on the beer didn't have much info about the beer. In fact the labels on the bottles are coming off. Cheap production, I guess.

I was glad to try this beer but I don't think I'll buy again until next year. If I see it on tap then I'll order it.

Actually, I saw the Bock at another store so I bought 2 sixers. One for me and another for sharing. If these seasonals are still sitting on the shelves then I should continue to buy them, fo rfear that the store will not re-order.

Fresh bottle pour into pint glass....my first Yuengling! Really like that they brought this one back and used a very cool retro-40's label; the label adhesive is a tad weak though, and were coming off...

A: OK looking brew, for a bock, kind of a cross between Coke and cough syrup! Clear light head, some lacing on glass, slight carbonation

S: again, ok, average light maltiness, some faint breadiness as well, not big in the smell dept!

T: not bad overall, an easy sipping low ABV bock, light bodied, getting mostly sweet malts but not very full bodied for this style

MF: so so again, bit on the lightweight side, as above attributes

D: Glad I bought a sixer of this to try, would try again and want to try other Yuengling beers as well when I get a chance

The label is really cool, just wish they had used some better quality adhesive!

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

This was my first Bock experience and is was a good one I must say I do like and what I understand they just started brewing again after a long hiatus. Reddish color and very hoppy and Carmel taste. It is now I guess a seasonal brew for them and lets hope they continue brew for all to taste..

3.54/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Decided to try this, kind of been on a bock/double bock kick lately...felt it was smoother than conventional yuengling lager, with a more refined taste. Decent reddish-umber colour, smelled faint notes of caramel. Left little to no head (came from tap and what little head was there quickly dissipated), taste was conventional bock, without being too dry. All told, a pleasing beer, but not one i would go out of my way for.

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

This pours a dark caramel color. Not a whole lot of head or carbonation.

The nose on this is definitely floral hops. Not too intense (I'm not a hop head; this was ok for me).

Taste is malt. There is a little hop bite on the end, but it's not that big. If you've had a Yuengling Lager, it's like that but a little more intense malt and a little more hops.

3.29/5  rDev -2.7%

An interesting concept to bring an age-old beer back onto the taps of Pennsylvania.

When poured it looks like a very dark, reddish amber beer. You definitely know that its a Yuengling by the tint of the beer and the smell. It has a very sweet smell, roasted nut, with a little bit of dark fruit in there. There seems to be a hint of molasses.

Taste wise, it feels and tastes like a Yuengling. It has that dry, light feel with a not so sweet "bock" taste that I am accustomed to in European bocks. It tastes much more like their Black & Tan. It lacked the real roastiness of the finer bocks, and lacked some spicing. I'd say with time this one will sort itself out.

1.36/5  rDev -59.8%

A: Brown amber color with two inch head.
S: Slight malt scent, smells similar to an American lager.
T: Simple malt on front end, no taste on back end, it disappears.
M: Thin, light body, flat with no carbonation.
O: Flat, simple, thin, disappointing.

2.78/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I just bought a 24-bottle case of thistuff down at my local beer distributor (PA.) Twas on sale $10 off since it's out of season by several months. (they kept it cold whole time, fortunately.)
i was in a mood for an un-pretentious lager or pilsener on this warm Spring late April day and et voila.
It is dark caramel/amber in appearance , doesn't have much going on in the nose, a grainy gritty slightly bitter taste and mouth-feel .
One cannot expect authentic German bock if Yuengling concocted this beer. It's very much Yuengling-y if y ou catch my drift .
You get what you pay for .
Would be good with sushi i'm thinking and burgers and Mexican fare . (your mileage may vary on food pairings, of course....)

3.33/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured into standard pint glass

A: Beautiful dark beer with light head. Barely able to see through it. Dark red tint.

S: Rich, dark, grainy, nuts and grain

T: Caramel base with a somewhat hoppy immediate presence. Somewhat nutty. Annoying metallic taste despite being poured from bottle. Somewhat ruins rest of beer. Very light, not too heavily flavored.

M: Smooth, good level of carbonation. Not oily or gassy. A little tangy.

O: It's not a terrible beer. I picked up a case for $25 on a whim. I expected it to pack a higher punch (5.1 is low for bock). I was somewhat disappointed in that regard. I feel that if Yuengling let it ferment for longer the taste would have improved with the alcohol content.

I'd have to favor the porter flat out. As for bock, I'll stick with ze Germans. It's not bad for PA, though.

3.36/5  rDev -0.6%

A- Some lacing and a medium to dark brown appearance. (not black)

S- Slightly malty smell, hint maybe of coffee

T- Slight caramel taste, also some slight hoppiness.

M- Medium

D- Smooth drinkability, one of my favorite Yuengling beers along with Lord Chesterfield

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Deep red-amber in color with a thin light tan head that dissipated fast, the aroma was faintly sweet and maybe a little malty. The beer had more hop flavor than I expected as well as more hang. The bottom line was that at $4.99/six at Total Wine this is a good beer at a cheap price.

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

Had this on tap at a bar in Edinboro, PA.

From what I can remember, it had a dark brown/amber color, very thin head, minimal lacing.

Its smell was weak but good. Light fruit, malts and that general grain-Yuengling smell.

Its taste was pretty decent. Malt character up front with a slight bite of hops in the finish. A very "clean" tasting beer with a good balance. Still, not a POWERFUL flavor, but a good flavor nonetheless.

Mouthfeel - Very clean and crisp. Smooth at first, but it goes right down.

Very high drinkability. This is a "good beer for the masses." It'll be hard to NOT like it. Crowd-pleaser.

2.67/5  rDev -21%

Good beer! I liked it very much. I am going to pick up some more next time I go to the store. It's just a nice change, a little darker a little richer, kind of like a stronger Yuengling Porter. If you are in the mood for it, it will taste even better!

3.18/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Heavy mouthfeel, leaves a bitter aftertaste, yet easily drinkable. Just the right amount of carbonation, that aspect gets a win for me. Mid-brown color leaves a thin head almost no tracing. I get an earthy taste from this, some hints of wood as well. This beer definitely strong arms the pallet, cleanse before trying anything else, it sure will muddle it. I'll stick to the rules and not say which Bocks I had that were better, many were, but for the price, this one is acceptable.

3.33/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz bottle into a Sam Smith mini-imp pint.

Pour yields a two finger head that drops quickly, leaving a surface of foam. Bubbles are off-white. Brown in color with dark orange-red when held up to light. Crystal clear.

Slight caramel aroma with some corn notes. Not much aroma to speak of. Sweetness. Some earthiness to the smell, but, that's it for the hops. Noted later: Some spiciness is noted as this beer opens up. Maybe some cinnamon.

A good, clean tasting beer, but, it's a far cry from a great bock. The caramel, toasty, bready flavors that I'm looking for are there. However, I definitely wish they were bigger. I can almost taste the water more than the beer. A little corn in the finish just before some bitterness.

A little thin for a bock. A lot of carbonation at first pour. Too much at first, but, it slows its pace. The lack of punch in the taste would lead to a similar mouthfeel for a lager for me. If the malt was fuller, the mouthfeel would be much better.

A refreshing beer, but, almost a light bock. The qualities are there. However, to subtle to be a great beer. That being said, not a bad sixer for a kickback night.

3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

Clean tasting bock with grainy sweet flavors of of bread and toast, and an appropriate amount of hop bitterness. Not much hops beyond bittering. A little thin in body and weak in alcohol for the style, but nice clean flavors of rich grains make this an easy drinking beer.

4.63/5  rDev +37%

A very good American Bock from a consistently good regional brewery. I used to enjoy the bock beers that most big American breweries made years ago (Pabst Bock was one that I looked forward to every year until the formula changed in the late 70's...after which the beer disappeared altogether).

Yuengling Bock is reminiscent of those beers and is a really fine example of the style. Very tasty and drinkable....and quite flavorful without massive alcohol or a total assault of the tastebuds. Very retro, like it's great packaging, this has a balance that a lot of contemporary beers sadly lack.
VERY glad to see this one back after so many years!

2.03/5  rDev -39.9%

When I was still new to beer my favorite style was the Bock. It had a medium body, taste, and low hops, giving it a nice rounded sweetness and easy drinkability. I'd heard Yuengling sometimes made a Bock and I've been excited about finding it for years until a few days ago when I finally came across it in person.

First impression is cool retro bottle, cheap price, easy twist off, and old american brewery! Upon pouring into a pint glass I see the clear medium-dark amber color as well as very harsh carbonation with loud bubbles and a very short lasting head.

Smell is hardly noticeable, with a slight malty dryness.

Taste is harsh carbonation with dry malty backbone. The finish is slighty dry/bitter yet not at all hoppy. I'm feeling a soapy/chemical aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and overly carbonated, it actually burns somewhat like drinking a soda.

Overall I have to say pass on this beer. I'm glad I only bought a single of it. Taste is bland/harsh and completely uneventful. While some boring beers are at least have a place in this world (macro lager on a hot summer day), this boring beer leaves your mouth somewhat annoyed.

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

Serving Type: poured from bottle into clear glass beer mug.

Appearance: dark copper almost brown. fleeting white foamy head. some lacing.

Smell: sweet malty with hints of hops.

Taste: malty sweet lageresque.

Mouthfeel: nice light body with a little fiz

Overall: similar to their lager. sweet. very malty. very drinkable.

4.15/5  rDev +22.8%

I was excited to see this new offering from Yuengling, whose traditional Lager I love.

Appearance - Poured into a Pint-sized beer glass produces a modest head that eventually dissipates. Laces nicely, more heavily than the traditional Lager. Lighter than cola in color.

Smell - Herbed caramel, present but not overpowering.

Taste - Perhaps more strongly hopped than most bocks, which traditionally are not strongly hopped. Pleasantly light malt flavor that is closest to maple and slightly cocoa. Taste lingers in mouth.

4.12/5  rDev +21.9%

For a seasonal Yuengling, this was quite good. Good off white/linen colour head to it. Went from a 1.5 inch to about a 1/2 inch. Semi good lacing. Neat red hue to it.

The taste was interesting, depending on what I was eating. Empty stomach was smooth and then with a taste familiar to regular Yuengling Lager. Not really bitter at all. Over all a very easy tasting/drinking beer.

Wouldn't recommend eating anything spicy or sweet. That threw it off big time. Couldn't finish the last because I went and spoiled my pallet. Goes well with a meal, not so much a snack or desert.

Good job Yuengling, and look forward to future endeavors.

4.05/5  rDev +19.8%

This is a beer that I never thought that I would like. I had a few sips off my buddies one night at a local tavern and ended up buying my own bottle.

The smell was very earthy and clean. No skunk or bitterness. Tasted great. Again very clean to the palate with no real aftertaste and a little watery but very tasty. This beer was not an "In your face" beer. Very laid back and different. I am not a fan of Yuengling Black and Tan and can barely drink a Yuengling Traditional. Its a different change in pace for a college kid throwing back miller lite and keystones all the time. I am a mainstream macro kinda guy.. and this was a delicious beer. The mouth feel was again not in your face and the drink ability was fair.. maybe a little heavy. I think that 1 or 2 of these would be good with a nice dinner or calm night. Its a good beer to cherish and drink for taste. I will definitely be seeing this beer again in my future and I will recommend it to those who want to break out of the Macro League. Its definitely different but a good different.

Yuengling Bock from Yuengling Brewery