Yuengling Oktoberfest - Yuengling Brewery

Pennsylvania, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.45% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: yuenglings on 08-21-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Oktoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 723 | Reviews: 143

My palette must be completely out of whack compared to most other reviewers, but this was horrible. It was bad enough that I didn't even want to finish it. I so wanted to like it as Yuengling is my usual default when out and about.

12 oz bottle. Pours amber with tall, long-lasting, fluffy white head. Aroma is of some hops, caramel and fruit soda. Body is medium and astringent. Astringent hops, caramel malt and some grain fill the mouth. Finish is long and unpleasant. The brew to avoid.

Pretty shitty

2.01/5  rDev -39.5%

This beer is a complete turd. It's a Yuengling lager with a bit more malt. Period. If they used Nobel hops you would never know. This beer is a serious let down. A cheap way to market different beer. A loser to stay clear of. No, on second thought, try it and have a laugh. Terrible effort.

2.08/5  rDev -37.3%

12oz. bottle served into a pilsner glass

Pours a light nutty brown color. It doesn't look too dissimilar from regular Yuengling, what with that amber hue and sudsy head.

The aroma is fine, I suppose. A little below average for the Marzen style. Lots of nutshell aroma. Pecans, mostly. It smells a bit dusty.

The flavor is all wrong. It tastes mostly like Yuengling lager. Yuengling must be a base recipe for this Oktoberfest or something. There's some nutty flavor here, but nothing of the grassy hop note that I associate with the style. Really, this is very awful. And I like regular Yuengling!

Overall, this beer flat misses the mark. This is a brief review from me, but there isn't much that I can say here. It doesn't come across like a Marzen. This is difficult to drink.

2.25/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Was this just a mislabeled bottle of lager?

2.42/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I bought Yuengling Oktoberfest at a local bar/eatery in my hometown. It was on tap, so that to me is always a good sign. Then I drank it. Sigh.

I'm from Pennsylvania, but I show no real loyalty to Yuengling. It is omnipresent in this state. Every pub, bar, and local eating establishment has Yuengling on tap. It is not a special beer to me. It is certainly not a great beer by any stretch of the imagination. Sorry, fellow PA advocates. That's just how I feel about it.

But still, I wanted to try the Oktoberfest. Hey, something different! Maybe it won't suck!

Color: Dark amber, catches the light well. Off white head about three finger widths, dissipating slowly into a thin lace around the rim of the glass. Okay, so far, so good.

Aroma: Surprisingly I smell almost nothing here. Maybe a little malt. Very bland. Not really aromatic at all.

Taste: Watery! That is NOT what I was hoping for. This stuff is on tap too! Tastes faintly of malt. I guess that caramel taste is in there somewhere. Hello, anybody home? No, not really. It's very, very weak stuff.

Mouthfeel: Light, watery, and not very pleasant. Not the worst dreck I've ever tasted, but definitely not good either. Leaves a somewhat bitter aftertaste.

Overall: Yuengling Oktoberfest sadly underwhelmed me. I hoped it would be at least somewhat satisfying. It wasn't. I drank Warsteiner Oktoberfest when I got home. It made the Yuengling taste like stale bread mashed into dirty water. That is all.

2.44/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in an imperial nonic glass

A - It pours a rusty amber color. It was topped with an inch of off-white head.

S - I smell a little caramel malt and some grain.

T - I get some caramel malt and grain. It has a dry finish.

M - Moderate and dry.

O - Ever since I had a Yuengling Light I have been turned off by this brewery. I was given this beer. Otherwise I would have never bought it, and I probably won't buy it.

2.44/5  rDev -26.5%

Was excited to try this beer. Was even more excited to spit it out. Not the worst beer ever, but certainly one of the least of its kind. It makes me sad. Its tastes slightly of sweatsocks and despair. Its fine if you are into self abuse, otherwise skip it.

2.5/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On draught at Roma's Pizza joint in downtown Pottsville on the evening of 9/21.

Brought to the table in a pint glass, which unfortunately was covered in advertising, masking the appearance somewhat. Light coppery coloring, with much carbonation bubbling on the sides. Head was small, but maintained.

Tried to get an aroma of something several times. Maybe the nose was off that night, but couldn't get anything.

Mouth was a bit on the thin side, with much carbonation.

Taste was okay. Nothing jumped out and wowed me. Seemed a bit bland. On the other hand, overally spicy fall beers can be a turnoff.

Overall an average beer. Not unpleasant, but nothing to single it out either. Doubt I would order it again. Roma's does have Guinness on tap, and the food is very good, some of the best in town

2.53/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

i poured this one into a pint glass, It has a brown color body with no head just a very thin lace around the top. The smell is faint of malt. The taste is very sweet malt almost honey sweet. Mouthfeel is watery and light and overall i don't like this one too much .I wasn't impressed at all.

2.59/5  rDev -22%

DATE TASTED: September 7, 2013 ... GLASSWARE: Sam Adams lager glass... OCCASION: a beautiful Autumn football night...APPEARANCE: handsome dark amber body; steady, full effervescence; thick and creamy off-white head; slick, sporadic lacing--solid if not attractive... AROMA: bright, punchy (almost medicinal? band aid?) malts that do not distinguish themselves positively...PALATE: thinning, mouth-quenching consistency; surprisingly active at the teeth, denoting some hop presence...TASTE: doughy bread malts mesh with bittering hops to produce an ESB of sorts; a flattened profile as the glass drains--toasted cereal lacks the malt punch or sweetness that elevates better marzens... OVERALL: the sum of its parts? a reasonably drinkable, affordable fall alternative to higher-priced fests...the flipside? not festive enough, considering the proliferation of marzen possibilities at most distributors now...

2.64/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I grew up in Yuengling country, but I never tried the Oktoberfest until this past fall upon a friend's recommendation. It pours from the bottle with a nice, rich, red-brown color, although there is only a thin soapy head. The aroma is a faint combination of toasted bread and light, lemony hops. The flavor is definitely malt-forward as is to be expected, with notes of caramel and bread dominating, although there is also some musty and lemony hops to balance. The texture is a bit unpleasantly watery, with a fine, prickly carbonation.

Admittedly, this isn't my favorite style, and this one certainly isn't going to change my perspective, but it is similar to many other Yuengling products: solid and inoffensive, but a bit boring and unexciting.

2.7/5  rDev -18.7%

In a few words : Yuengling lager with some caramel sweet-ness added ... very forgettable ...
Spend the extra money and buy real German O-Fest ...
The bitterness that a couple other reviewers noted is something I notice, also .
A very watered down / bland mass-appeal kind of O-Fest ...

2.76/5  rDev -16.9%

Okay I want to run this o-fest beer straight into the ground along with the yuengling brand, but I actually buy yuengling once or twice a year because I appreciate what they are. I own a family owned and operated business and know the hard work. However I try to make what we do better each and every day and stride for world class all the same. Could yuengling produce a better quality beer? They could but maybe they like sticking to their roots. That's okay after all. I'll just be buying more Founders and FFF at the end of the day. But here's the review.

12 oz brown bottle with a unfortunate twist cap(yuengling need to become craft if they preach craft). A gorgeous label done in fantastic autumn season color. You think you are buying Oktoberfest anyway. Poured into a standard mug.

A - a good color shade of dark orangish copper. A head that's off white and extremely thin. Gone before you take the third whiff. The entire brew is very thin.

S - actually the only thing thats worth talking of in the marzen department. Sweet bready aroma with a hint of caramel sweetness. Typical yuengling yeast down within.

T - hmm.. A lot like a bottle of yuengling lager. Actually the exact same with maybe a slight hint of caramel.

M - thin and well thin. It's an easy drinker for sure, but I guess I've been drinking hard core craft beer for too long. Call me a beer snob if you'd like, but thats how I like my brew. A pretty crisp finish with a touch of lager linger in the back.

O - while I do appreciate yuengling beers, I can't say they are my go to or even something I even think about other than that rare occasion of not having time to go to my craft honey hole. This just isn't a marzen. You could make the excuse it's a good cheap brew, but the fact is I can buy a GLBC Oktoberfest 6 pack for .75 cents more. Or 2 bombers of brauerei aying marzen for exactly the same. I respect folks buying their weekend sixer of yuengling rather than buying any AB/ Bud/ Bud light, but the truth is.. There are too many damn good beer makers personally known myself for me to call this my favorite brewer. While my appreciation is there, my Wallot will not always be. This experience actually made me appreciate what Great Lakes sends down my way and trust me, Ive bought enough GLBC o-fest to take care of my marzen fix for fall 2012. Craft guys who try this will know what I mean and understand my standards of ales and lagers. Others who switched from bud to yuengling probably won't but hey those people won't be reading and writing reviews on brews anyway. This is worth a try for most though.

2.79/5  rDev -16%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip pint glass. I didnt even know they made an Oktoberfest.

Really nice looking beer. Deep dark copper red and brown body, little rising carbonation, but a real nice fluffy and creamy head. Off tan white, lots of retention, pretty aggresive and dark looking beer.

Nose is really odd for a marzen. Mud. Dirt. No deep malt presence, a little bit of sweetness and yeast stickiness.

Palate really emphasizes the dirt aspect. Body is perfectly fine, coating and full, taste is right out of a sandbox and turned garden. Lots of dirt and earth, not in the hop vein. Weird sticky off putting lager yeast that seems common from Yuengling.

This is one weird Marzen, where is the malt and bakery like presence?? really not interesed in having this again at all.

2.8/5  rDev -15.7%

Amber color with off-white head. Limited lacing.

Smell is sweet honey, malt, all-spice and a little pumpking.

Taste is sweet malt up front. Honey and a hint of cinnamon comes through. Minimal bitterness.

Mouthfeel is watery. Very light with medium carbonation.

Overall this was just fair. Woudn't buy this again.

2.83/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Can't just shoot it down.
The price of the beer justifies the mediocreness of the beer.
I love octoberfests in general.
Pours nicely burnt amber hue in a pint glass.
Thin head on top. Stays and develops into nice lacing on glass.
Smell let me down a bit. Little bit of roasted malt, some faint hops maybe, bready.
Mouthfeel is a little bit bitter but finishes ok at the end.
Overall an "ok" offering, but in a world full of octoberfests this one can't compete.
It may be cliche, but I friggin love Sam Adams version. Should have got that instead.

2.86/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a reddish orange color. Little head is featured - actually, it's just a thin, off-white film. Can't really talk about retention.

S: The cereal grain component I normally expect from a Yuengling is toned down, but not nonexistent. Touches of unsweetened caramel abound, also. Not bad for a macro-brewed marzen.

T: Flavor-wise, it's mainly cereal grains and toasted caramel malts, with a touch of finishing sweetness. That's about it. Okay, maybe not, because I'm picking up faint apricot hints. Very simplistic, but also very easy to quaff in typical Yuengling fashion.

M: Carbonation is really strong, which does a decent job of cutting through the sweet finish. Ultimately, though, it is slightly too sweet. Drinkability is excellent, at least.

O: This could have been far worse. Honestly, I like it more than Sam Adams Octoberfest, and would never refuse this. But is it a good marzen? Not quite. Go into this expecting a slightly sweeter version of the Traditional Lager and you'll probably be happier with it.

2.88/5  rDev -13.3%

a: This was a clear, light cola brown. It pours with a small, short lived head.

s: Bready, lightly sweet malt with that distinct "Yuengling" quality.

t: It has the elements of a good O-fest, just not quite enough. Pleasant sweet bread and a bit of an unclean finish.

m: Light and fizzy.

o: Not bad and a good value.

2.9/5  rDev -12.7%

I was very disappointed with this brew. It seems to me Yuengling bottled yuengling lager and stuck an Oktoberfest label on it. A lot of breweries are coming out with there version of an Oktoberfest. One of the best that has the authentic taste is by Sam Adams. When I drink that makes me feel like it the middle of fall watching football.

2.91/5  rDev -12.3%

16 ounce pint - Taco Mac in Canton, Georgia.

Appearance: Dark amber-hued body, good clarity, and capped beneath a slim, white head.

Smell: Sweetish scent, fairly tame, with light notes of toasted grains and caramel flavoring.

Taste: Crisped grains with some toasty elements to it and a light hint of caramel flavoring. Faint, vaguely herbal hops, mildly bitter. Sweetish, faintly grainy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-plus carbonation with some tingle to it.

Overall: The caramel taste here, it's... it's just odd, and, maybe it's just me, but it seemed to have a falseness to it, like the added flavoring to that Saranac Caramel Porter. It's not an abhorrent beer, but it sure doesn't stack up against the better examples of the style (or even the not-so-better ones).

2.94/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Poured a nice deep amber with a creamy white head that lasts a while and leaves lacing. There is very little to the aroma aside from a slight sweetness. Taste is pretty much the same, with nothing distinguishing to it and a little bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is better, with a little bit of carbonation and a nice smoothness. But pretty bland overall, unfortunately.

2.96/5  rDev -10.8%

Had a 12 oz. glass for $1.50 at the Emmaus VFW. I figured it'd only be appropriate to have a soft pretzel with spicy mustard and chipped in the extra dollar for that.

Aside from opening with an unplease toasty corn note, this was a fine, smooth amber lager. It reminded me a bit of Beck's Oktoberfest in that it only kind of resembles the style. It's not a bad beer, but I'd never stack it up against a Paulaner O-fest. I'd say it's worth a try, especially if you find yourself in a VFW.

2.96/5  rDev -10.8%

This poured out as a copperish looking brown color. The head was Kind of soapy looking and cream colored. The lacing and retention was minimal. The smell of the beer has some malty aromas with a touch of spice and a lager yeast in there as well. The taste of the beer is average to, seems like just a slightly different flavor than their Traditional Lager. The mouthfeel was smooth with a good carbonation and a solid dry finish to it. Overall I wasn't too impressed, it was fun to try and I was happy I did but I wouldn't have to go after this one like I do with Samuel Adams each year.

Yuengling Oktoberfest from Yuengling Brewery