Yuengling Oktoberfest - Yuengling Brewery

Pennsylvania, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.45% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: yuenglings on 08-21-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Oktoberfest Alström Bros
Ratings: 723 | Reviews: 143
3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Okay taste, a little light in flavor. A drinkable everyday beer.

My palette must be completely out of whack compared to most other reviewers, but this was horrible. It was bad enough that I didn't even want to finish it. I so wanted to like it as Yuengling is my usual default when out and about.

3.89/5  rDev +17.2%

One of my favorite variations of Oktoberfest beers. I had it at a friend's house a couple years back and now I can't find it anywhere. Do they still make this brew or not?

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Brilliant copper color with a two-finger. Not much lacing to speak of. The aroma is quite pleasant: toasty malt and toffee at the forefront, plus an ever-important floral hop component to keep things from becoming bland. At this point, you'd be hard-pressed to tell this apart from Sam Adams 'fest, which, to me, is one of the best American Marzens.

Toasted grain and caramel are the primary flavors. Hop bitterness is there but kind of lifeless, and the finish is a bit bland and nondescript. The "corniness" that's apparent with Yuengling lager isn't present, and my palate can't tell whether that adjunct was used. Slick mouthfeel with restrained carbonation.

Yuengling' festbier is a pleasant surprise, kind of like a toastier version of their flagship lager. I've had worse Marzens from true craft brewers.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a nice copper color in a 16oz mason jar with a nice 2 inch head that does not hang around leaving minimal lacing.

Smell is malty. I get plenty of malts with a little bit of a yeasty smell that is textbook lager yeast smell in my opinion. No hops in the nose.

Taste is really sweet as you would expect from such a malty nose. Minimal to no hops in the taste as the nose would suspect.

Mouthfeel is on the watery side but that is ok with me on this beer. Nice carbonation to the beer.

Overall a decent beer. I was eager to taste this one since the summer wheat from yuengling was so good. This one was a little bit of a disappointment as I think I would prefer the traditional lager to this one.

Pours a soft orange copper color with a slight tan head of foam that fell to a ring and film on top. Good clarity and honey golden hues. Nose has a lot of caramel on it. A bit of popcorn. Some faint toasty bread and a good grain scent. No hops until a small sweet grass comes up as ti warms. Taste is smooth and rich. The grain is lovely and seems like it has melted into the caramel which is dominant on the palate. It has a good amount of sweetness and a bit of dry crisp malt to withstand that. It does drink a bit breaddy and with a touch of lemon in the finish and sweet grass and slight underlying hop bitter with a bit of spice. Buttery slickness in the mouthfeel .

It’s ok but very sweet.

3.51/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is a good Oktoberfest beer. I picked this up while traveling through Pennsylvania. I stopped to pick up regular Yuengling and saw this next to it in the cooler. It's pretty close to Shiner Oktoberfest. I was pleasantly surprised. It's like most Oktoberfest beers. It's malty and sweet. Give it try whenever it comes around in the fall.

3.38/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brilliant caramel with a foamy khaki head that slowly dissipates, leaving minimal lacing.

Toasted bread and light fruity notes form the initial aroma, with notes of caramel and toffee adding complexity.

The fruity esters really come through in the flavor, underlying a toasted, nutty caramel malt backbone. Hop presence in minimal, slightly floral in nature. The finish is nutty and dry. That characteristic yuengling metallic note surfaces late.

Body is moderate, slightly slick, with moderate to slightly low carbonation and light alcohol warmth.

If the metallic notes and fruity esters aren't there, this would be a decent beer. It's a touch sweet but not bad. Good malt character.

4.94/5  rDev +48.8%

great oktoberfest. Not the best i tried but very much addictive for an oktoberfest. Honestly I like this Oktoberfest better than Sam Adams. Kudos to Yuengling for another wonderful beer. I know their beer list is small but I have liked all their brews so far except 1. but i guess that goes with any brewery.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

The coloring is a bit dull but a crystal clear dark copper meets the eye. The head mounted well in a flood of bubbles and then ebbed back to nearly no head at all.

The aroma is sweet barley, kind of damp musty earth, with a slight roasted grain.

The grain really comes out and the barley is right there with it. The grain is a little nutty, and a little sweet. The only issue would be it needs a lot more roasted character.

The feel is easy enough and despite the load of bubbling in appearance the carbonation level is really low.

4.18/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: pours a nice, rich orangey-amber color with a thin head that falls quickly and retains little lacing

S: prominent caramel and sweet malts, some notes of spice, clean aroma that's not too strong

T: sweetness of roasty malts and caramel with a crisp very slightly bitter lingering finish, pleasant upon exhale

M: smooth carbonated mouthfeel with a thin/medium body that finishes clean and a touch dry

O: this is a solid choice for a readily available (at least in my area) Oktoberfest that can be enjoyed as a session beer and is much more affordable than its many counterparts. A sweet and crisp selection that I won't say "no" to.

3.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

An amber beer, with a slight whitish head and a clear complexion. The smell is malty, and clean, but also a little subtle. I like this beer much better than the traditional yuengling lager. Medium-light in body. Medium in flavor, but not at all bad.some bread and a faint hop flavor in the finish. Smooth.

2.99/5  rDev -9.9%

I Like Yuengling as a Brewery,and dig their Porter & Bock a lot..however I totally understand why some traditional Beer purist Slag Yuengling a lot,as much as I enjoy their Bock Beer,it is not even close to any type of traditional bock whatsoever,and I swear... to me it has a very Grapefruit like taste in the background,lol.
anyway,Yuengling "Octoberfest" is not a Bad Beer,but it is really sweet,a bit too sweet for my taste,@ least for the type of beer it is supposed to be~
it pours out a nice amber/copper color and you can smell the roasted malts right of the bat,also a bit of toffee smell in there.
the taste is pretty decent,exept for the sweetness that comes creeping in after the first swallow.
while I would have no problem drinking this Beer if someone hands me one,I personally would not buy it,or seek it out again,as I said,not a Bad Beer,but not worth looking for either,because there are so many Gr8 "Octoberfest" Beers out there.Cheers & Peace2All.

3.21/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: Pours a crystal clear medium amber in color with light amounts of gentle visible carbonation along the edges of the glass and some faint hints of burnt orange highlights. The beer has a half finger tall off-white foamy head that quickly reduces to a large patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of sweet toasted malts with some light hints of caramel.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of toasted malts with a light amount of sweetness as well as some hints of caramel. There is no perceptible hop flavor and almost no bitterness to the taste of this beer.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: While I prefer a more robust Oktoberfest beer personally, this beer was really popular with my relatives whom are not beer connoisseurs and was probably the best option where we stopped to grab some beers. A little sweeter than I prefer my beers in the style and a little too watery.

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Picked this beer up in Totowa recently, having never had this before. I'm not the biggest fan of these but every year, I give a few of these that I haven't had before a go. Yuengling's beers never really blew me away and that turned out the be the case with this as well. While this was certainly fitting for its category, there wasn't anything memorable abut this and I had to pace myself while drinking this. It went down too clean and easily, which is not quite what I'm looking for in a beer this time of the year!

The pour to this was typical, with a nearly-clear copper hue, present head that faded quickly, and hardly any lacing to be seen. Some caramel and herbal notes in the nose, which were repeated in the taste. This was thin, not terribly carbonated, and missing the hops needed to give it a full profile. No stickiness, bitterness, or spiciness to this at all and only the creamy mouthfeel saved this from being totally unmemorable. A bit of the bread stayed around in the aftertaste, but even that faded rather easily as well.

Thankfully, the alcohol was not detectable in this and if I had another one, I'd probably kick back with it too. This is almost as mindless as a beer gets and only worth a go once if you're in the mood for near-session Octoberfest offering. Even the bottle wasn't green and not that it mattered, but I almost wanted to find something to take away from this. It's decent for enjoying the season with, but not for much else unfortunately.

3.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Yuengling Oktoberfest is a very good beer for the price. It pours a nice rust color with a slightly off white head and good lacing. Smell and taste are good with a slight bitter after taste of hops, but overall high quality Oktoberfest for small price. Defiantly a great beer for a Sunday of football.

2.44/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in an imperial nonic glass

A - It pours a rusty amber color. It was topped with an inch of off-white head.

S - I smell a little caramel malt and some grain.

T - I get some caramel malt and grain. It has a dry finish.

M - Moderate and dry.

O - Ever since I had a Yuengling Light I have been turned off by this brewery. I was given this beer. Otherwise I would have never bought it, and I probably won't buy it.

3.38/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Sampled October 2013 from bottles in pint glass.

Appearance: Dark amber color with a nice light tan head. The head lasted an average length of time.

Smell: The aromas are varied, but not too strong. There is a nice hoppy aroma.

Taste: Medium-bodied taste with a nice mix of malts and hops. The hops give the beer some flavor without any bitterness, and the malts provide a balance without too much sweetness. The flavors overall are not very powerful, as is typical of an Oktoberfest.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, and smooth.

Overall: Typical Oktoberfest style of beer. Both the hops and the malts flavors are mild and balance each other well. A good Oktoberfest beer.

3.19/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: The beer is clear deep amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short head that quickly died down, leaving only lacing on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of sweet toasted malts are present in the nose along with some hints of caramel.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of toasted malts and a bit of sweetness, but the maltiness seems to be from extracts. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied and rather watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink but the taste seems too sweet and watered down for the style.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Picked up a six pack for $7.49. Straight from the bottle.

A - I can assume carbonation is great with a solid 1/2 inch of head that clears rather fast. Has a bit of a darker hue than your average amber lager.
S - Semi skunky toasted malts and a bit of pilsner like hops. I taste.
T - A bit harsh at first with rough malty grains and bitter hops but as I enjoy a few it does come off rather sweet with just a touch of skunk in the finish the the amber lager. Not bad overall
M - Light to medium in body not very watery so on par with the style.

Overall not really worth picking up a case for but on par with the amber lager. I think I will still pick up the amber lager over this considering it easier to drink as less expensive.

3.12/5  rDev -6%

Yuengling Lager with just a bit more mouthfeel and chewiness in the malt palate. More like an Amber vs a good craft Oktoberfest. Paid about $28 for the case, so not a bad price, but there is not enough substance to make me purchase another case. I would love to see Yuengling experiment just a little bit with their hops. No variety.

2.44/5  rDev -26.5%

Was excited to try this beer. Was even more excited to spit it out. Not the worst beer ever, but certainly one of the least of its kind. It makes me sad. Its tastes slightly of sweatsocks and despair. Its fine if you are into self abuse, otherwise skip it.

3.33/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

If you want to pay 15 bucks for a six pack, you could find a better Oktoberfest. But for $6.99, this is an awesome beer. Deep color, creamy head, spicy aroma, and multi dimensional flavor profile. Good stuff! Pour it into a glass so you can truly appreciate it.

3.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Clear darkish amber hue, thin lacing. Slightly sweet nose, toasted malt, faint caramel, hint of hops, clean. Big on crispness, slightly smooth, lighter bodied, grainy, mild toasted husk, feigned sweetness, touch biscuity, light hopping, balancing bitterness, drying grassy finish.

Not half bad, drinkability is pretty high and with this beer being clean and all I'd certainly go back for more.

3.52/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

As we all know, Yuengling is America's oldest brewer. Now they have crafted this seasonal, something that they have not done before as I can remember. In any case, this can be best described as an average expression of this style that hits all the buttons: it has a dark copper color, minimal head; there is an initial apple nose along with a sweetish caramel subtlety. Not bad, not great - a Goldilocks beer: just right.

Yuengling Oktoberfest from Yuengling Brewery