Yuengling Oktoberfest - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.45% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: yuenglings on 08-21-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Oktoberfest Alström Bros
2.43/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I bought Yuengling Oktoberfest at a local bar/eatery in my hometown. It was on tap, so that to me is always a good sign. Then I drank it. Sigh.

I'm from Pennsylvania, but I show no real loyalty to Yuengling. It is omnipresent in this state. Every pub, bar, and local eating establishment has Yuengling on tap. It is not a special beer to me. It is certainly not a great beer by any stretch of the imagination. Sorry, fellow PA advocates. That's just how I feel about it.

But still, I wanted to try the Oktoberfest. Hey, something different! Maybe it won't suck!

Color: Dark amber, catches the light well. Off white head about three finger widths, dissipating slowly into a thin lace around the rim of the glass. Okay, so far, so good.

Aroma: Surprisingly I smell almost nothing here. Maybe a little malt. Very bland. Not really aromatic at all.

Taste: Watery! That is NOT what I was hoping for. This stuff is on tap too! Tastes faintly of malt. I guess that caramel taste is in there somewhere. Hello, anybody home? No, not really. It's very, very weak stuff.

Mouthfeel: Light, watery, and not very pleasant. Not the worst dreck I've ever tasted, but definitely not good either. Leaves a somewhat bitter aftertaste.

Overall: Yuengling Oktoberfest sadly underwhelmed me. I hoped it would be at least somewhat satisfying. It wasn't. I drank Warsteiner Oktoberfest when I got home. It made the Yuengling taste like stale bread mashed into dirty water. That is all.

3.24/5  rDev -2.1%

3.8/5  rDev +14.8%

3.37/5  rDev +1.8%

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Pours a clear, dark amber with a creamy, clinging off-white head.
S: Somewhat muted aromas of caramel, dark bread, cream, roasted nuts, and grassy, lemony hops are apparent on the nose.
T: Notes of caramel, nougat, dark bread, roasted chestnut, hazelnut, black walnut, hickory, cream, lemon rind, herbs, and grass fill the mouth. The finish is long and rather oily, presenting lasting notes of walnut, chestnut, hickory, lemon, and caramel.
M: This brew is light-to-medium in body, marking it as much lighter and less filling than traditional Bavarian Oktoberfestbiers, though this is increasingly becoming the norm with U.S. interpretations of the style. Carbonation is crisp, but somewhat delicate, though it still makes its presence known.
O: I am not a Yuengling fan in the least, but this brew really is not bad. It does not make me want to rethink my opinion of most of this brewery's products, it does not really challenge my indifferent attitude toward this style, and it does not make me want to rush out and buy a case, but I would not turn this beer down if it were offered to me again.

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a dark orange with a slight foamy head that dissipates rather quickly leaving just a thin layer of bubbles throughout. The smell is malty, sweet, a subtle hint of caramel. The taste is malty, with a slight hint of sweet fruit. Pretty standard stuff. Not much kick to this, but enjoyable nonetheless and can be purchased as a six pack for just about $7. Fair alternative to some more pricier oktoberfests, but you get what you pay for.

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%