Yuengling Oktoberfest - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.45% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: yuenglings on 08-21-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Oktoberfest Alström Bros

Chetti, Sep 30, 2012

Poppaweasel, Sep 29, 2012

MarvinSnyder, Sep 28, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet and malty. Taste is also very malty, some sweetness, a touch of hops, refreshing and easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

tone77, Sep 28, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Kegler's today.

The beer pours a copper amber color with fairly decent head retention and light lacing. I don't get a whole lot on the nose, just some roasty malt and some sweet baked fruit flavors. The flavor profile replicates the nose, though there was a lot more flavor than I was expecting (especially given that this is a yuengling product). The beer is a bitg sweet and malty, but I don't mind that so much in a marzen. There's a kiss of bitterness on the finish, which helps to balance the sweetness in this beer. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, with a moderately long, fairly clean finsh.

Another simple, uncomplicated, easy to appreciate beer from Yuengling. Can't imagine choosing this over a German version of this beer, but I thought it enjoyable and eminently drinkable. Not sure I'd ever order it again, but I enjoyed the glass I ordered at keglers.

John_M, Sep 27, 2012

jheberle, Sep 27, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance - light amber pour, a hint of orange. A foamy finger of foam is sticky and a good finger's worth in thickness. A wall of lace hangs around the glass as the cap slowly recedes.

Aroma - sweet, bready, a touch of caramel. Pretty standard as OFests go.

Taste - grainy, a bit watery and even a touch twangy up front, but some malt character is there. Develops better on the swallow as the toastiness of the grain is expressed and moves in-palate. A light breadiness on the swallow, a clean finish, even an occasional touch of cinnamon at the end. Goes a little thin but has just enough taste to hold my interest...for now.

Mouthfeel - thin and almost macroish for a marzen. Body is too light for the style in my opinion, although some OFests are decidedly lighter in terms of color, body, etc. If this beer had more beef in the flavor department, I'd be less critical here.

Drinkability - all in all, an easy beer to knock back if you don't set your sights too high. A decent beer to get some crossover action from the BMC crowd.

brewdlyhooked13, Sep 27, 2012

LarryMyers, Sep 27, 2012

crownrl28, Sep 25, 2012

flyers1980, Sep 25, 2012

mikerems, Sep 24, 2012

jkchristy, Sep 24, 2012

RTMiller, Sep 23, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Pours a deep, clear amber-orange color. The medium-sized off-white head has a slight caramel tint and a foamy texture. Retention is fair, and a bit of soapy lacing sticks to the glass in irregular rings.

S: Firmly malty in the nose, with some robust caramel notes. Some moderate breadiness as well. Lightly toasty and nutty, with some mildly sour yeastiness in the background. Faint herbal hop notes.

T: Sweet caramel and firm grainy/bready flavors up front. Mild toasty and nutty flavors. There is a bit of adjunct flavor at play, and the typical Yuengling yeast tanginess. Hop bitterness is appropriately low, adding some faint balance to an otherwise malty and somewhat sweet beer.

M: Thin-bodied and a bit astringent. Carbonation is withering. A bit of stickiness initially fades pretty quickly and becomes quite dry.

D: This is not a particularly enjoyable Marzen. In terms of flavor, it's solid, but I wasn't a fan of the mouthfeel or lack of complexity. This also shows some unusually prominent yeast character that seems out of place.

Clydesdale, Sep 22, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip pint glass. I didnt even know they made an Oktoberfest.

Really nice looking beer. Deep dark copper red and brown body, little rising carbonation, but a real nice fluffy and creamy head. Off tan white, lots of retention, pretty aggresive and dark looking beer.

Nose is really odd for a marzen. Mud. Dirt. No deep malt presence, a little bit of sweetness and yeast stickiness.

Palate really emphasizes the dirt aspect. Body is perfectly fine, coating and full, taste is right out of a sandbox and turned garden. Lots of dirt and earth, not in the hop vein. Weird sticky off putting lager yeast that seems common from Yuengling.

This is one weird Marzen, where is the malt and bakery like presence?? really not interesed in having this again at all.

smakawhat, Sep 22, 2012

LouDogg114, Sep 22, 2012

Nyskizy, Sep 22, 2012

CincyTK, Sep 22, 2012

joker5060, Sep 22, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -17.8%

Okay I want to run this o-fest beer straight into the ground along with the yuengling brand, but I actually buy yuengling once or twice a year because I appreciate what they are. I own a family owned and operated business and know the hard work. However I try to make what we do better each and every day and stride for world class all the same. Could yuengling produce a better quality beer? They could but maybe they like sticking to their roots. That's okay after all. I'll just be buying more Founders and FFF at the end of the day. But here's the review.

12 oz brown bottle with a unfortunate twist cap(yuengling need to become craft if they preach craft). A gorgeous label done in fantastic autumn season color. You think you are buying Oktoberfest anyway. Poured into a standard mug.

A - a good color shade of dark orangish copper. A head that's off white and extremely thin. Gone before you take the third whiff. The entire brew is very thin.

S - actually the only thing thats worth talking of in the marzen department. Sweet bready aroma with a hint of caramel sweetness. Typical yuengling yeast down within.

T - hmm.. A lot like a bottle of yuengling lager. Actually the exact same with maybe a slight hint of caramel.

M - thin and well thin. It's an easy drinker for sure, but I guess I've been drinking hard core craft beer for too long. Call me a beer snob if you'd like, but thats how I like my brew. A pretty crisp finish with a touch of lager linger in the back.

O - while I do appreciate yuengling beers, I can't say they are my go to or even something I even think about other than that rare occasion of not having time to go to my craft honey hole. This just isn't a marzen. You could make the excuse it's a good cheap brew, but the fact is I can buy a GLBC Oktoberfest 6 pack for .75 cents more. Or 2 bombers of brauerei aying marzen for exactly the same. I respect folks buying their weekend sixer of yuengling rather than buying any AB/ Bud/ Bud light, but the truth is.. There are too many damn good beer makers personally known myself for me to call this my favorite brewer. While my appreciation is there, my Wallot will not always be. This experience actually made me appreciate what Great Lakes sends down my way and trust me, Ive bought enough GLBC o-fest to take care of my marzen fix for fall 2012. Craft guys who try this will know what I mean and understand my standards of ales and lagers. Others who switched from bud to yuengling probably won't but hey those people won't be reading and writing reviews on brews anyway. This is worth a try for most though.

BradtheGreat7, Sep 21, 2012

Schmuckles, Sep 21, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -11.1%

Yuengling - Oktoberfest Bottled in Pottsville, PA.

I'm really torn on this one. It's not bad, and I'm generally a fairly good fan of Yuengling (decent cheap beer - did I mention cheap!), but their Oktoberfest misses the mark as an Oktoberfest beer.

It tastes like slightly stronger/darker than normal Yuengling. I don't get the märzen taste at all. By itself, compared to other mass market beers, I'd definately give this one high marks. But I think they totally missed the style guide here. Its like Michalob Amber Bock - I don't hate it, but it's definately not a Bock beer. If it just had a different label on the front I'd probably make a point of seeking it out again. I wonder if they actually bottled the wrong stuff or slapped the wrong label on the bottle?

It's not bad, but when I'm in the mood for a festbier, this one isn't going to do it. No sign of an ABV or bottling date to be found.

jak3676, Sep 20, 2012