Microbrew Invitational

Yuengling Dark Brewed PorterYuengling Dark Brewed Porter

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter is an original specialty beer that has been brewed expressly for tavern owners and family trade since 1829. We are proud to be recognized as one of the largest porter producers in the US. An authentic craft-style beer, our Porter calls for a generous portion of caramel and dark roasted malts, which deliver a rich full-bodied flavor and creamy taste with slight tones of chocolate evident in every sip. It pours dark, topped with a thick foamy head, and imparts a faint malty aroma. This smooth and robust Porter has a unique character that complements any meal from steak or seafood to chocolate desserts. Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter is enjoyed by even the most discerning consumer for its flawless taste and unwavering quality.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2001

Reviews: 393 | Ratings: 1,023
3.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Look- Very basic appearance for a porter. Pure black with some red tint and transparency at the bottom of the glass with a one finger head.

Smell- Not much to speak of, some maltiness.

Taste- Compared to high end craft porters, this isn't the best. However, for what it is, it definitely packs some great porter flavor for the excellent pricing and availability depending on your location. Slight roasted malts, and that characteristic Yuengling flavor that makes it stand out.

Feel- Kinda watery, but honestly that's to be expected. Medium/high carbonation.

Overall- While I'm not giving this the best rating, I do love this beer for what it is, a porter that I can get for a dollar a bottle at any of the liquor stores around me. This might be a good gateway beer for some, because it lacks the strong kick of most craft porters that drive newcomers away.

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This is a plain, yet drinkable porter with slightly more crispness when well-chilled. Like many of Yuengling's dark beers, it's less heavy than you'd expect and it's not distinguished by anything extraordinary, yet it's very drinkable.

Pours dark, nice creamy head, somewhat carbonated. Not much in the way of notes like toffee--just slightly coffee, hops are earthy but crisp. Finish is clean. Oddly, it's kind of "more-ish"--despite being rather plain, it's very pleasant. For the price and availability, it's a very good choice if you want a dark beer for casual sipping. I'd buy it again because I don't have to struggle to find it, and when I want a porter, there it is. Don't expect excitement yet expect a solid glass, well-brewed.

4.23/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I rated this beer with an extra few points to make up for the snob factor. It is very good. With the exception of the IPL debacle this one, like most of Yuengling''s forays into specialty beers is well done. The Summer Wheat was also much better than a lot of current craft examples. You want a porter for about $1.25 a bottle inclusive of tax get this for the fridge. It has all the taste, smoothness of a good porter. It may not have the complexities of the flavored or infused varieties but for a straight forward brew it works very well.

3.04/5  rDev -9.5%

I get a nice amount of caramel on the nose, along with subtle touches of cereal grain, chocolate, and coffee. Taste is very similar, with a bit more in the way of roasted and cereal grains. The texture, though decently thick for a smaller porter, is just too fizzy for me. Still, while not the greatest porter ever made, it's dirt cheap and genuinely sessionable.

3.04/5: Like most everything from Yuengling, it's cheap without sucking

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Look - Dark with some transparency at the bottom of the glass. Not much head at all, and what head there was had a carbonated soda look to it.

Smell - Can't really smell any traditional porter notes like coffee or chocolate. Very basic.

Taste - Sort of tastes just like regular Yuengling Lager only with a different color. Once again, very basic with nothing that really stands out about it. Not the worst beer I ever had but was disappointed and was expecting more since anyone I know seems to rave about Yuengling for whatever reason.

Feel - very thing and sort of carbonated. Even poured it in a glass to try to create some additional head and let it breathe a little.

It's been at least three years since I had one. Need to buy another sixer to see if my memory still serves me correctly. Don't expect much to write home about other than the fact that it may save you a couple dollars versus higher quality darks.

3.44/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours an opaque yet still clear very dark brown, almost black in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation along the edges of the glass and moderate dark cola brown + crimson red highlights. The beer has a two finger tall foamy tan head that reduces to a mottled medium thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of roasted + chocolate malts with just a hint of earthy hops.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of lightly roasted and chocolate malts. That is followed by very light flavors of earthy hops. There is a light amount of roasty bitterness in the finish.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Light bodied and with a low ABV which makes this beer pretty sessionable - a lot more flavorful than some of the other offerings from the brewery. I might get it again but not if there were a lot of other dark beer choices.

3.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From what I've tried by Yuengling, I think this is their best product.

Has a fairly typical dark brownish, blackish look of any porter, and with an equally typical porter smell of roasted malts and hints of chocolate. The taste is mild but pleasant, roasted malts and molasses are the two flavors that most come to my mind. Has light feel as well, which would normally be a negative but it works here in that you don't feel like you've just had a meal after drinking one.

This is a mild, inexpensive porter that I could easily imagine myself drinking a few of on a cool fall or winter's night sitting with friends around a campfire.

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I love this brew, and think its an absolute steal at the $6.99 price point. Smooth, silky, creamy and very drinkable. In fact, possibly the most drinkable porter on the market. Very dark, even darker than many stouts, and the hints of chocolate and coffee are just right. The only thing that is holding me back from giving this fine porter a perfect 5 is its low alcohol content. I generally prefer my porters and stouts to be at least be over 6%, but I'm willing to overlook the 4.7% ABV just because this brew is an absolute pleasure to drink. This brew is a must try for all porter fans.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Color is good.
Not much else stands out from the appearance. Fast-vanishing half-inch tan head. Very bubbly and effervescent like soda.
Hint of licorice in the nose. Also smells a lot like Yuengling lager.
Taste is overly-fizzy watery roast with little else standing out.
Mouthfeel is dismal, WAY overcarbonated.
Overall, this sits as the lowest level of acceptable porter, in that it doesn't actually taste bad, and the little bit of taste (licorice, weak roasted barley) are acceptable tastes for a basic porter. But as mentioned, it severely lacks in feel, carbonation, and lasting taste of any kind. A previous bottle from this pack I drank from the bottle, which was more satisfying -- somehow if you sip this from the bottle without looking at it, you get a bit more concentrated version of these weaker tastes. From a glass, all the flaws are magnified and impossible to ignore.
If it was 1980 and this was the only dark beer in any store East of the Mississippi, I think I'd be happy to partake. As it is, we have better options these days, and are spoiled by great year-round porters that can be found cheaply which provide 10x the flavor and feel of this one. Maybe this is a good entry-level for someone who thinks Guiness Draught is a strong beer or something. Otherwise, move on.

3.57/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown pour, nearly black. Tan head settles to a quarter inch. Wispy clumps of lacing.

S: Chocolate syrup, cocoa powder, faintly woody, subtle red fruit, and a whiff of hoppy citrus.

T: Blackstrap molasses, brown bread, chocolatey, faint woody roast builds a bit as it warms. Vague fruits for just an instant. Snappy hop-derived citrus butts in toward the end and rides into the finish with some lingering chocolate.

M: Medium-light body. Light and creamy-soft on the palate. Moderate carbonation cuts through and adds some crispness.

O: Objectively it's rather middle of the road, but there's something about this beer that really won me over as I drank through it. It's simple but not bland, and the drinkability is great. It's the perfect 'end of a long day' sort of beer. You know, for those times when you just wanna plop down in front of the TV and drink an easygoing brew without having to think about it. It's actually quite satisfying.

4.17/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Because this beer is good, I'm giving it an additional .5 overall for the fact that's just over a dollar a bottle by the case. Fantastic value.
OK this is my first review and I don't know what I'm doing, but I did read all the Beer 101 instructions, and I have tasted many porters and stouts over the past two months since I became a Beer Geek. Poured per BA instructions into a clean porter glass, a shape that doesn't appear on your glass page, but which shows up on Google images.
Look: Black, slight mahogany color at bottom of glass where it tapers, with tawny one-inch head. Head subsides fairly quickly.
Smell: coffee, caramel, citrus. Very nice.
Taste: chocolate and woodchips added to the aforementioned smell flavors. Balanced, nothing overpowering.
Feel: smooth and creamy, but seems thinner by the time you get to the bottom. I swear I haven't been drooling into it. But I do like it very much.

3.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle.
Pours dark brown, nearly opaque. With a very good tan head.
Revising an old standard here and I'm not disappointed. Then again, I remember a fairlly poor beer and this is decent.
It does lack flavor, seeming made with minimal malts for style.

3.26/5  rDev -3%

Undated 12 oz bottle at bar reefer temp into a frosted mug (Ugh!)
Aroma weak roasted malt
Head large (6 cm, aggressive pour), light brown, frothy, slowly diminishing to 4 mm ring and layer
Lacing fair – very thin curtains of tiny to small bubbles
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor light, roasted malt; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, soft carbonation

Appearance 4, Aroma 3, Flavor 3, Palate 4, Overall 3.5

3.64/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The first entry in my six bottle American Porter taste test. [Note: I specifically chose easy-to-find, low-med ABV offerings that came in 12 oz bottles. No big bottle Imperials, etc. in this mix. Wouldn't be a fair fight.] Color is black, opaque with light (hardly discernible) carbonation. Slight smoke roast in the nose with an initial coffee-like flavor on the tongue, subtle bitterness, soft (very soft) carbonation and a light mouthfeel that actually benefited this very dark beer. No astringent or off tastes. Deep roasted malt flavor that didn't linger after each sip. Quite refreshing and drinkable. I was pleasantly surprised. I set this at just over 3.6 overall as a benchmark. We'll see how the other 5 stack up.

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Decent for a beer. Not that great of a porter when compared to craft breweries and the other competition out there. Its worth buying I suppose, but really nothing to write home about.

4.08/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a full finger of caramel/chocolate-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that almost, but not quite, covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Rich and malty, imparting notes of freshly toasted pumpernickel bread, dark molasses, a touch of dark chocolate, some subtle aromas of roasted coffee beans and smoke and lots of brown sugar.

Taste: Rich, earthy and malty. Lots of roasted malt up front, imparting notes of freshly toasted pumpernickel bread, dark molasses, a touch of dark chocolate, some subtle coffee and smoke and lots of brown sugar-like sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium and slightly effervescent as there is some, but not much carbonation. With an ABV of 4.7%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: I like this porter. I like the big malty back bone and the large amounts of brown sugar. This is my favorite beer from Yuengling, and a great session porter.

1.41/5  rDev -58%

Let me start out by saying this is my first review and I didn't ever plan on reviewing but had after trying this beer. The looked is okay it has good color but was lacking in the head department and looked way to carbonated to me. The smell is a little hard for me to explain so I'm just going to say that I found it unpleasant and way to reminiscent of something like bud light. Here is my biggest problem, the taste. Now porters and shouts are by far my favorite types of beer, they are like liquid dessert to me. This beer has not one quality of the many porters I have had in my days. The taste to me is a sour and minerally. The feeling I found to be over carbonated, water, and dry (not actually sure if that belongs here). Anyways overall from first drink to the last I didn't enjoy this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

My first Porter! & thus started my whole love affair with them! Certainty in no way great by any means, but it was my gateway & thus warrants a high mark!!!

I'm not a beer experts, so take this for what it is worth. This is a decent porter, hoppier and not as sweet as some of the others, with a clean aftertaste that is characteristic of several of the Yuengling beers. Enjoyable.

2.82/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into nonic glass. Dark almost blackish. No head. No much lacing. My first porter. Smell is roasty and almost raisin like. Taste is roasty but not like coffee and dark fruit. Very carbonated. I honestly did not like this very much and they sat in the fridge for a couple weeks.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

A - Low head but pretty. Dark. Opaque. Beige head. No lacing. 3

S - Leather. A touch of horse blanket. 2.75

T/M - Simple sour watery loose. Aftertaste of roast malts. Very mild. 2.5

O - Not a bad beer but a very weak porter. 3

4.07/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Yuengling Porter Brewed by Yuengling Brewery, with an ABV of 4.70% This brew pours out a dark brown color with a creamy light brown head. It puts you in the mind of black coffee, with a light foam head. The smell is rich with grains and some sweetness. Now for the taste it is thick but smooth tasting. There is a lot going on in this brew. At first there is a bold rich taste but it is clean and smooth at the end. The is a real nice balance to this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean with no bad aftertaste. Yuengling did a nice job with this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out of 5. I would get this again.

3.57/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass 6/6/14

Pours very dark black with 1/8" of white foam that sits like a lid. Coffee, dark chocolate nose, lighter side. Taste is a very light body - thin - with a mild coffee grittiness. Short finish, hint of bitter but never really gets there. so so

3.51/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I really like Yuengling's flagship lager. I saw this in the store and was quite surprised. I had no idea that Yuengling also brewed ales (dark ales at that!), so I had to give this a try. Here goes:

A: I liked it a lot. Pours black (but not too dark); great head with good retention time. I was actually shocked at the size of the head and how long it lingered. Very good for a porter.

S: I liked it. Heavily-kilned dark-chocolate malts; almost no hop character. Hints of caramel and butterscotch. Overall very good for the style.

T: Again, pretty good. It's very light, but that's to be expected given the style (if you want a full-bodied dark ale, try an imperial porter or stout). Chocolate is present throughout. Caramel, toffee and butterscotch lightly grace the palate. No hop character. The beer is somewhat creamy, but again it's a little too light-bodied to be characterized as such.

M: Very light. Nothing special but nothing lacking if you drink this beer with the right expectations.

O: Good. I probably wouldn't go for it again, as I like the regular amber Yuenling lager a bit more. However, for the price it's a very good beer. If you want a cheap porter, I would highly recommend this one.

3.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A real thick and off tan to light coffee colored head, big and three fingers tall, and a huge styrofoam swiss cheese top. Dark brown walnut body and some nice red hued edges. Some faint rising tan carbonation as well. Pretty good looking porter.

The aroma comes off a bit wet and clean. Very light grains and airy. Minimal roasting character and char if hardly any. Not bad, but not real solid either.

Palate seems to match the nose quite a bit. Light bodied wetness, and a bit of sticky yeast. Bags of decomposing leaves a bit on the roast and bitterness, with minimal dryness. Quite wet and minimal sensing chocolate a bit.

Overall it doesn't have much going on, but it's pleasant and drinks easily.

Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter from Yuengling Brewery