Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter - Yuengling Brewery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 970 | Reviews: 387
3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Drank a lot of these in Philly and wow what a great cheap beer from that area.

2.63/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Cheap but not bad if you are in a money crunch

3.64/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The first entry in my six bottle American Porter taste test. [Note: I specifically chose easy-to-find, low-med ABV offerings that came in 12 oz bottles. No big bottle Imperials, etc. in this mix. Wouldn't be a fair fight.] Color is black, opaque with light (hardly discernible) carbonation. Slight smoke roast in the nose with an initial coffee-like flavor on the tongue, subtle bitterness, soft (very soft) carbonation and a light mouthfeel that actually benefited this very dark beer. No astringent or off tastes. Deep roasted malt flavor that didn't linger after each sip. Quite refreshing and drinkable. I was pleasantly surprised. I set this at just over 3.6 overall as a benchmark. We'll see how the other 5 stack up.

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Decent for a beer. Not that great of a porter when compared to craft breweries and the other competition out there. Its worth buying I suppose, but really nothing to write home about.

4.08/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a full finger of caramel/chocolate-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that almost, but not quite, covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Rich and malty, imparting notes of freshly toasted pumpernickel bread, dark molasses, a touch of dark chocolate, some subtle aromas of roasted coffee beans and smoke and lots of brown sugar.

Taste: Rich, earthy and malty. Lots of roasted malt up front, imparting notes of freshly toasted pumpernickel bread, dark molasses, a touch of dark chocolate, some subtle coffee and smoke and lots of brown sugar-like sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium and slightly effervescent as there is some, but not much carbonation. With an ABV of 4.7%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: I like this porter. I like the big malty back bone and the large amounts of brown sugar. This is my favorite beer from Yuengling, and a great session porter.

1.41/5  rDev -58%

Let me start out by saying this is my first review and I didn't ever plan on reviewing but had after trying this beer. The looked is okay it has good color but was lacking in the head department and looked way to carbonated to me. The smell is a little hard for me to explain so I'm just going to say that I found it unpleasant and way to reminiscent of something like bud light. Here is my biggest problem, the taste. Now porters and shouts are by far my favorite types of beer, they are like liquid dessert to me. This beer has not one quality of the many porters I have had in my days. The taste to me is a sour and minerally. The feeling I found to be over carbonated, water, and dry (not actually sure if that belongs here). Anyways overall from first drink to the last I didn't enjoy this beer.

2.44/5  rDev -27.4%

a sad excuse for a partner not a bad beer but just like everything this brewery makes... subpar

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

My first Porter! & thus started my whole love affair with them! Certainty in no way great by any means, but it was my gateway & thus warrants a high mark!!!

I'm not a beer experts, so take this for what it is worth. This is a decent porter, hoppier and not as sweet as some of the others, with a clean aftertaste that is characteristic of several of the Yuengling beers. Enjoyable.

2.82/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into nonic glass. Dark almost blackish. No head. No much lacing. My first porter. Smell is roasty and almost raisin like. Taste is roasty but not like coffee and dark fruit. Very carbonated. I honestly did not like this very much and they sat in the fridge for a couple weeks.

I always try to have a case in the fridge.I love porters and Yuengling is my favorite.Bottle or tap!

A smooth dinner beverage to accompany a manly appetite for a good peppery steak or burger.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Holds a special place for me 1st porter I ever enjoyed , Still enjoy it to this day

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

A - Low head but pretty. Dark. Opaque. Beige head. No lacing. 3

S - Leather. A touch of horse blanket. 2.75

T/M - Simple sour watery loose. Aftertaste of roast malts. Very mild. 2.5

O - Not a bad beer but a very weak porter. 3

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

Not the best, though a little better as it warms

4.07/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Yuengling Porter Brewed by Yuengling Brewery, with an ABV of 4.70% This brew pours out a dark brown color with a creamy light brown head. It puts you in the mind of black coffee, with a light foam head. The smell is rich with grains and some sweetness. Now for the taste it is thick but smooth tasting. There is a lot going on in this brew. At first there is a bold rich taste but it is clean and smooth at the end. The is a real nice balance to this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean with no bad aftertaste. Yuengling did a nice job with this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out of 5. I would get this again.

3.57/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass 6/6/14

Pours very dark black with 1/8" of white foam that sits like a lid. Coffee, dark chocolate nose, lighter side. Taste is a very light body - thin - with a mild coffee grittiness. Short finish, hint of bitter but never really gets there. so so

3.51/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I really like Yuengling's flagship lager. I saw this in the store and was quite surprised. I had no idea that Yuengling also brewed ales (dark ales at that!), so I had to give this a try. Here goes:

A: I liked it a lot. Pours black (but not too dark); great head with good retention time. I was actually shocked at the size of the head and how long it lingered. Very good for a porter.

S: I liked it. Heavily-kilned dark-chocolate malts; almost no hop character. Hints of caramel and butterscotch. Overall very good for the style.

T: Again, pretty good. It's very light, but that's to be expected given the style (if you want a full-bodied dark ale, try an imperial porter or stout). Chocolate is present throughout. Caramel, toffee and butterscotch lightly grace the palate. No hop character. The beer is somewhat creamy, but again it's a little too light-bodied to be characterized as such.

M: Very light. Nothing special but nothing lacking if you drink this beer with the right expectations.

O: Good. I probably wouldn't go for it again, as I like the regular amber Yuenling lager a bit more. However, for the price it's a very good beer. If you want a cheap porter, I would highly recommend this one.

3.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A real thick and off tan to light coffee colored head, big and three fingers tall, and a huge styrofoam swiss cheese top. Dark brown walnut body and some nice red hued edges. Some faint rising tan carbonation as well. Pretty good looking porter.

The aroma comes off a bit wet and clean. Very light grains and airy. Minimal roasting character and char if hardly any. Not bad, but not real solid either.

Palate seems to match the nose quite a bit. Light bodied wetness, and a bit of sticky yeast. Bags of decomposing leaves a bit on the roast and bitterness, with minimal dryness. Quite wet and minimal sensing chocolate a bit.

Overall it doesn't have much going on, but it's pleasant and drinks easily.

3.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Yuengling Porter 6pk $6.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. No freshness date.

pours almost black. a good sign of a good porter. Light does show through the glass, but no more than Guinness draught. A nice two and a half finger creamy tan head, it doesn't last long however gives way to decent lacing.

i can smell roasted malts, caramel, coffee and a slight hint of cocoa. Pretty good, nice and inviting.

taste follows the nose but much more flavorful and robust. Starts with a nice roasted taste, followed by a hint of caramel and coffee. Ending with a bitter-sweet slight chocolate taste. No complaints here.

mouth feel is rather light, but most porters are. Has a nice feel, good carbonation. Not as rich or as creamy as some porters, but this brew is at a bargain price.

Overall this brew is excellent, for it's price range. An amazing bargain porter that everyone should try once. Not my go to porter but for the price i like it and will not complain.

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass at around 45°F

Appearance: Dark brown with a mahogany tent when put up to the light. Soapy one finger tan head. Looks the part!

Smell: Faint roasted malts and caramel

Taste: More notable than the nose. Subtle roasted malts and enough earthy hops to balance it out. Dark fruits (prunes, raisins) are present as well

Mouthfeel: On the lighter side; Slight hop bitterness. Not as creamy as I hoped for.

Overall: Pretty much what I expected a yuengling porter would be like. I don't know if it's a result of caramel coloring, but all Yuengling beers that I've tried look better than they actually are. Very mild for the style, but like the lager, you can't do much better for the price.

3.71/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a near black in color with a tan head fades to a thin skin, but with clinging side glass lace.
Aroma, brings some caramel with some coffee and cocoa and some cold metal
Taste brings some sweetness, along with the caramel and burnt notes. Hop bitterness brings in a semi-dry good finish
Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin, and creamy.
Not a big Porter guy, but this one works for me as a dinner beverage.

3.81/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This porter is a great value.

The appearance is dark with tan head. Has a malty flavor. Not too strong. Feels a little thin, but it has good carbonation.

If you are looking for a decent porter at a bargain price, Yuengling hit the nail on the head.

3.93/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Typical dark dark amber porter appearance.

Smell: Slightly sweeter smell than most porters.

Taste: This I was rather surprised of for a super cheap in-the-area porter. It has a balanced sweet roasted character with a well put together bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: average carbonation, surprisingly smooth.

Overall: for a cheaper porter, this is stunningly delicious. Completely recommend this to anyone looking for a drinking porter that you wont get sick of!

3.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark black color with a thin head with short retention but leaving laces.
Creamy chocolate aroma with notes of cherries and licorice
Taste follows nose, flavor of roasted malts with notes of coffee, cocoa, licorice, earthy hops, dark fruits and nuts. Slightly lactic and sour. Quite dry aftertaste with a long bitter roasted note.
Light, but deceiving body with medium carbonation.
Very decent Porter from the oldest brewery in the US. This was surprisingly tasty and not as plain as I expected. I did like its light lactic twist and prolonged roasted profile.

to view more.