Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter Alström Bros
4.06/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a full finger of caramel/chocolate-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that almost, but not quite, covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Rich and malty, imparting notes of freshly toasted pumpernickel bread, dark molasses, a touch of dark chocolate, some subtle aromas of roasted coffee beans and smoke and lots of brown sugar.

Taste: Rich, earthy and malty. Lots of roasted malt up front, imparting notes of freshly toasted pumpernickel bread, dark molasses, a touch of dark chocolate, some subtle coffee and smoke and lots of brown sugar-like sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium and slightly effervescent as there is some, but not much carbonation. With an ABV of 4.7%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: I like this porter. I like the big malty back bone and the large amounts of brown sugar. This is my favorite beer from Yuengling, and a great session porter.

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.96/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

1.38/5  rDev -58.9%

Let me start out by saying this is my first review and I didn't ever plan on reviewing but had after trying this beer. The looked is okay it has good color but was lacking in the head department and looked way to carbonated to me. The smell is a little hard for me to explain so I'm just going to say that I found it unpleasant and way to reminiscent of something like bud light. Here is my biggest problem, the taste. Now porters and shouts are by far my favorite types of beer, they are like liquid dessert to me. This beer has not one quality of the many porters I have had in my days. The taste to me is a sour and minerally. The feeling I found to be over carbonated, water, and dry (not actually sure if that belongs here). Anyways overall from first drink to the last I didn't enjoy this beer.

3.63/5  rDev +8%

3.26/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

3.9/5  rDev +16.1%

3.41/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.96/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

2.43/5  rDev -27.7%

a sad excuse for a partner not a bad beer but just like everything this brewery makes... subpar

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

My first Porter! & thus started my whole love affair with them! Certainty in no way great by any means, but it was my gateway & thus warrants a high mark!!!

I'm not a beer experts, so take this for what it is worth. This is a decent porter, hoppier and not as sweet as some of the others, with a clean aftertaste that is characteristic of several of the Yuengling beers. Enjoyable.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%