Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter Alström Bros
4.94/5  rDev +47.5%

I love this porter. Again not the best porter i have had but very drinkable. Dark and rich in color and little to medium head. Tastes of malts and hints of chocolate. Very irresistable taste that the average drinker will enjoy cant get enough of this porter (257 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +44.8%

For many years, I thought if I were marooned on a desert island with only one beer to drink, Yuengling Porter would be my beer of choice. Now a few years later in life, Yuengling Porter has been nudged out for this personal choice, by a few European beers such as Salvador Doppelbock & Corsonke Christmas Ale, I still consider Yuengling Porter to be the best American mass produced beer.

I can relate many good times to this Porter and have yet to find any consistently produced American Porter to match it. (508 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +39.4%

Revisiting this beer again after many years. I notice the label has been redesigned.

Pours a dark chocolate color. A beer in a grey flannel suit.

Smell is cool seashells, carob, slate, and a pure mist of carbon dioxide. A hint of iodine peeks through as well -- this is a directed, clean, determined beer.

Taste is wonderfully controlled, with the slight cheese of Hershey's Milk Chocolate, a backboard-straight malt center, and a firm finish from the lager yeast. This is truly minimalist expression in a glass, and beautifully done; it is steady, sedate as a rock garden, and perfectly pleasing. This is a complete package, with no frills, no excesses, no missteps. Not too much, not too little. Exceptional.

Mouthfeel is fairly good -- solid, supportive, and active. There is the sensation of many sliding, tightly-packed bubbles, never too stiff, but certainly with a full presence.

Drinkability is quite good; this beer particularly shines when paired with very spicy food. It puts out the fire, refreshes the palate, and even adds its own savory note. In particular, I can think of no better tipple with numbingly-spicy Sichuan cuisine.

It's funny how time changes our perception of what we imbibe. It doesn't seem that there have been major changes made to Yuengling Porter since 2003, when I last reviewed it, but my appreciation has grown immensely. The austerity of this beer, the flavor profile of this lager porter, one of, if not the, last of its kind, speaks to me. Who needs lots of alcohol, and overwrought flavors, and all those other high-octane tricks?

This is back to basics. This is, in an ideal world, what should capture the imagination of the craft movement. This is a beer to be meditated on. Consider it, and consider yourself.

Original Review, September 2003:

Hints of a chunky, fudge-y, chocolate-y taste to this one, but it never totally follows through on its promise. Major drawbacks are that aroma isn't really there, and the mouthfeel is pretty thin.

As a porter, I think this has great potential, but it's just a bit short. Still doesn't mean I'm not a fan.

I'm a sucker for their lager, having grown up on it, but I have to say, this is Yuengling's best beer -- a journeyman baseball player in the world of brewing. For a solid, consistent, very cheap dark session beer, this is what I'm probably going to pick up

Try this with some dark chocolate at the same time -- not bad. (2,424 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +38.8%

I am new to the beer tasting game but to this point I must say that Yuengling Porter (Dark Brewed) is my favorite. On the palate the flavors consist of chocolate notes, and coffee flavor. Goes down very easy and feels great in my mouth. In a word; SMOOTH! (255 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +36.4%

Pours a deep, dark brown with a mocha head and a decent amount of lacing.

Smells mostly of malts, maybe some coffee or chocolate. Loved the aroma

Taste matches the aroma well. Very good could drink a few in one sitting.

If I could make it over to PA or know someone going that way would definitely buy again. (312 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +32.8%

Sampled April 2012 from bottles in pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown color, with light-tan head that lasted for a minute.

Smell: Some coffee aromas, with hints of toasted/burnt aromas. Smell is not over-powering.

Taste: Medium-bodied porter with great balance of malt and hops. Dominated by toasted coffee, but with some chocolate flavors as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied for a porter, but very smooth.

Overall: Very good porter, especially for the price. Probably my favorite porter for drinking everyday. This is the only American porter that reminds me of my favorite porter: Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter, and that is a huge compliment. (646 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +31.6%

A- Dark dark brown/black. Can't see any light through it when held up. Tan head leaves large amounts of lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Bittersweet chocolate and black coffee.

T- Roasted malts and dark chocolate followed by an aftertaste of black coffee.

M- SMOOTH!!! Not overly carbonated, creamy, with a medium thickness.

D- Goes down sooo smooth. Great flavor and aftertaste. Can easily see myself having several of these in one sitting. One of my favorite beers! (474 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +31.3%

While everyone else is drinking their Yuengling Lagers, you can sit back and enjoy this baby, which is a bit heavier, and a lot tastier than its cousin. Great for times when you want something a little heavier, and still want the Yuengling label. (246 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Taken fromhttp://snailstales.blogspot.com/2006/01/friday-nites-beer-review-yuengling.html

The Yuengling Brewery at Pottsville, Pennsylvania, claims to be the oldest one in the U.S. It was founded in 1829 by David G. Yuengling, a German immigrant. The original spelling of his last name must have been Jüngling, meaning "young man". In fact, the English word youngling comes from jüngling. But, despite what they say at their web site, jüngling is not pronounced "ying-ling". That certainly makes it sound oritental, doesn't it? (532 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +29.6%

I am not going to go into detail about the characteristics of this beer because so many have already taken care of that. However, I do want to salute this beer and make it known that it is definitely worth a try. This is a faithful porter, although it is not technically a porter, that can be stacked against many of the great porters throughout the United States. (366 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +29.3%

very dark (held to light, it's infrared...), super thick head remains a good while leaving nice lacing. yep, there's a roasted malty smell with the sharpness of coffee. perhaps a bit metallic, but that may be something else. over the palate, it's reveals all those dark malty roast notes with a minimal sense of sweetness luckily further minimized by the slight hop bitterness (which, again, balances things perfectly). a great fall and winter brew and--not thick, thus--quite the session brew. definitely my go-to value brew in the fall just as Lord Chesterfield is in the summer. (581 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +29.3%

I love porter and was looking for something new. So, I purchased a 6 pack.

A - dark, cola appearance; small tan head; no light will penetrate this beer; for the porter lover without the money to get those specialty beers

S - charcoal, florals, and sweet aromas

T - rich and deep woodsy flavors; taste much more expensive than it actually cost

M - a little disappointing feel in the mouth; funny how there wasn't much of a head, but it actually feels too sudsy in your mouth

D - very good beer; it isn't the best porter I've had (see Samuel Smith's Taddy Port for that), but a very workable and drinkable effort (615 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +28.4%

The Porter pours a dark brown color with a reddish tint and a small tan head. On the nose there is a slight aroma of toasted malts. On the palate the flavors consist of roasted malts, chocolate notes, coffee flavor, and a small hint of caramel. In the finish hops kick in a bit, ends slightly bitter and dry. Yuengling makes a great porter. (340 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

It's been a while since I have had this beer. This is a "working class" beer. Dark chocolate aroma with roasted hazlenuts blending beautifully with the hops. It poured a very deep ruby color, almost black. The head was huge and tan colored. I remember not liking this beer when I was younger, but I would definitely recommend this beer today. An easy drinking porter and and overall tasty beer. (394 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +27.5%

A: Dark brown-black, slightly purple in my mug in the light. The head foamed up quite nicely and remained- notches down the side of the mug as I drank it.

S: Notes of chocolate, carmel, I think the other reviewers here have pretty much nailed the description and I would agree.

T: Pleasant, mildly sweet, roasted taste. A hint of bitter aftertaste but the faint breeze of sweetness remains. It's like Guinness light, but not in a bad way.

M: I'll knock it down a little here, for the same reasons as the others below. "Watery" may not be the best way to describe it, I found it still had some body to it, but it is true that there is something left to be desired, especially for a Porter style.

D: Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the beer, I plan on acquiring more later. Goes great with some sharp cheddar cheese, as I'd imagine this to be a liquid equivalent to pumpernickel bread. I'd even say the light mouthfeel is welcome (a light Porter isn't necessarily a bad thing). I'd say if you're curious, give this one a shot. (1,027 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

My first Porter! & thus started my whole love affair with them! Certainty in no way great by any means, but it was my gateway & thus warrants a high mark!!! (156 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +26%

I took a tour of the brewery on Sat had a draft of this there then bought a case of bottles and tried it. Pours a very dark with a 3/4 inch head. Smell of Chocolate and coffee. It has a very flavorfull taste and has a small bitterness at the end. Almost like drinking a chocolate & Coffee beer! Its mouth feel is very nice and tells you to have another one. It is very drinkable and this will be one I will continue to buy. A very nice not to strong and flavorfull Porter at a nice price too! (492 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +25.4%

Really nice pour out of the bottle into the glass. Beautiful enticing dark caramel color with a lighter caramel head. The aroma is of strong sweet malt with a nice bittering hop aroma to even out the scent. The taste is really good. Refreshing and dark bodied but sweet. Some hoppineess cuts down the sweetness of the malt but does it very well. Aftertaste is very pleasent and very clean. Very nice carbonation and very nice mouthfeel. Anytime I drink this beer, I need to have more than one it's so good. A very good porter. Pick this up if you get a chance. Probably better on tap. (584 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +25.4%

(bottle - 12 oz) Slight aroma of roasted malts with a deep and smokey middle and some chocolate mixed in as well. Pours a lovely deep red with dirty-white head. Flavor of coffee mixed with caramel. Very smooth finish, but surprisingly thin for such a dark beer. Not a bad thing however. (286 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +25.4%

I didn't really know what to expect from this beer, but I like porters, and I knew Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the USA, so I grabbed one.

Good choice. It pours nice and dark, with a thick, creamy head. All of the right elements are there: roast, hops, mouthfeel, finish. Sometimes bigger is better, and sometimes you want a porter you can drink all night. At 4.7%, it's as close to a session beer as a porter might be. (426 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +25.4%

Color is a 7 on a 1 palest to 10 blackest scale.
Good head with nice retention. A bit more chocolaty than I expected with a hint of caramel/coffee. Frankly, an unexpected pleasure, very much different from English Porters.

Other reviewers often say what foods go with a brew : since I keep finding my words need to be padded out to meet 250 sometimes (often); I will henceforth suggest MUSIC to drink by!

This goes well with The Shadows - "Wonderful Land" ! (462 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +24.8%

In my opinion, this is one of the best domestic porters available. This beer is rich and dark brown in color, almost reminiscent of coffee. The head is nice and light brown. Fragrance is of toasted malts. Flavor is nice and chewey thanks to the abundance of toasted chocolate malt. Slight hoppy finish. Coats whole mouth. (326 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Because this beer is good, I'm giving it an additional .5 overall for the fact that's just over a dollar a bottle by the case. Fantastic value.
OK this is my first review and I don't know what I'm doing, but I did read all the Beer 101 instructions, and I have tasted many porters and stouts over the past two months since I became a Beer Geek. Poured per BA instructions into a clean porter glass, a shape that doesn't appear on your glass page, but which shows up on Google images.
Look: Black, slight mahogany color at bottom of glass where it tapers, with tawny one-inch head. Head subsides fairly quickly.
Smell: coffee, caramel, citrus. Very nice.
Taste: chocolate and woodchips added to the aforementioned smell flavors. Balanced, nothing overpowering.
Feel: smooth and creamy, but seems thinner by the time you get to the bottom. I swear I haven't been drooling into it. But I do like it very much. (907 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I started buying this beer around 1986, when I went to the Univerisity of Delaware. We used to drive over the Maryland state line and get it at State Line Liquors for $1.90 for a six pack of bottles. It was about the cheapest beer in the store. At that time, the only other "dark" beer you could get was Michelob dark, and Lowenbrau dark. We thought this porter was the greatest, far better than those "high priced" beers.

Since then there's been a microbrew revolution, and traditionally brewed European beers have become widely available. It's a brave new world.

Anyway, the (probably biased) review...

It pours dark, of course, since it's "dark brewed", without much head. It's slighty darker than maple syrup, but about the same color. Very little lacing. The big online encyclopedia says it's a bottom fermented porter, which apparently is unusual.

It's not a strong scented beer, though inviting enough.

The taste, which to me is what really matters in a beer, has burnt notes, chocolate and some mild coffee flavors. Alot more flavor than your average big brewery beer. (And Yuengling is one of the biggest US owned brewers out there.)

I find it to be well balanced, and highly drinkable. I could pound these babies all night when I was in college.

Mouthfeel is good, not too heavy, not too thin. Like baby bear's porridge.... it's just right.

I think when you drink this, you need to understand the context: It's a cheap beer with flavor. It's not trying to emulate Belgium's best or Britain's finest. It's not out to win "hoppiest beer of the week" awards. It isn't a classic example of the the porter style. (Although I do love a good strong stout or porter.)

It is however, a good solid, drinkable beer, with a strong dose of good flavor. (1,760 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +23.9%

A Porter made with Lager yeast making me think it leans more toward a European Dark Lager (Schwartzbier?). Black with ruby highlights and a light brown head. Good carbonation. Light roasty malty aroma and flavor and a light-medium mouthfeel make this a good session beer in almost every way. (294 characters)

Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter from Yuengling Brewery