Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter - Yuengling Brewery

Yuengling Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 967 | Reviews: 386

1.12/5  rDev -66.7%

Served from a bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer poured a good looking blackness with a cola colored head. No lacing in evidence. This is the high point of the beer.

Smell: Slight malty background with a funky grain smell noted.

Taste: Little bit of hoppyness and a bitter aftertaste. No chocolate, coffee or other goodies that porters should have. This taste like bilge water at best.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer looked good and raised my hopes for a good beer drink. Unfortunately the beer smells funky in a bad way and taste remarkably like bilge water. The beer is thin and fizzy. This beer sucks! Maybe some of the other beers in the yuengling line are ok. I may try another later.

1.22/5  rDev -63.7%

twist-off

Pours brown with a tan head.

It smells like a big fart. There is also a hint of cocoa and metal.

The first thing I notice is this beer is incredibly watery, not even by style guidelines. It reminds me of guiness more than anything far from an American porter. Hint of metal, mineral water and coffee are the main flavors. There is an adjunciness to it.

This beer is really, really bad.

1.39/5  rDev -58.6%

I saw this on tap during a brief trip to my effective watering hole in my hometown. It was poured into a Nonic, and developed a nice looking very light tan head that fell very quickly. Almost opaque black.

I can't smell anything but a little earthy hops, and perhaps that smell that I've always associated with macro lagers...am I prejudiced?

The taste is virtually non-existent. Really, just like the smell. I thought perhaps I needed to clear my pallette after the DFH Indian Brown I just had, but a glass of water didn't improve the situation.

The mouthfeel is done well, pretty thick, with low carbonation. Makes a smooth bland beer.

There's no reason to ever drink this. I'm surprised they brewed such a dark beer without any roasted flavors!

Edit: I saw a review of Yuengling Lager that mentioned Porterine (the agent used for darkening some low-quality beers), which is a corn syrup-derived compound. That's how they get the color without the flavor. This make's me want to lower my score even more...

1.41/5  rDev -58%

Let me start out by saying this is my first review and I didn't ever plan on reviewing but had after trying this beer. The looked is okay it has good color but was lacking in the head department and looked way to carbonated to me. The smell is a little hard for me to explain so I'm just going to say that I found it unpleasant and way to reminiscent of something like bud light. Here is my biggest problem, the taste. Now porters and shouts are by far my favorite types of beer, they are like liquid dessert to me. This beer has not one quality of the many porters I have had in my days. The taste to me is a sour and minerally. The feeling I found to be over carbonated, water, and dry (not actually sure if that belongs here). Anyways overall from first drink to the last I didn't enjoy this beer.

1.5/5  rDev -55.4%

1.5/5  rDev -55.4%

1.8/5  rDev -46.4%

Very deep ruby body with low carbonation. Good looking brown tiny to small bubbled head that falls quickly and leaves little lace.
Pretty offensive smell, industrial and chemical.
The taste is slightly better but not by much.
Nasty crap, down the drain!

-Oelergud

1.98/5  rDev -41.1%

There's nothing wrong with a common darker brew, but I think this barely counts as a porter. It has no depth of character and no sour mash hangover, which are the two main qualities of a true porter to me. No sense even talking hops or body here. Why not pan this completely? Because if you think of it as a dark beer, a dark lager that is, you have a quite solid, drinkable brew. And affordable.

But stack this against a good mass market porter like the superb Smuttynose Porter or even the widely available very good Sierra Nevada Porter and this tastes wimpy and dull. The overtones are pleasant but really subtle. The body is (for a supposed "porter") watery and the bubble spikey, smelling of forced carbonation. Even the standard and fairly cheap darkish beer in Upstate New York, Saranac Black and Tan, is superior for taste and complexity.

2.04/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This one is very deceivingly dark and has hues of amber showing through when held up to the light. The head is tan and fleeting.

The smell is surprisingly hopy and bitter.

As for the taste, very watery for a porter. Although it does have a semi bitter after taste.

Mouth feel: watery, but it does have a good balance of carbonation.

Drinkability: Smooth and easy to down, but not one that I would have another of. It leaves me craving for a Robust.

This beer would be great as an introduction to those who think that all porters are made of mud. It just may help convert some minds that think that all dark beers are gross.

Overall, a fair porter, but not for me.

2.11/5  rDev -37.2%

Ouch. I just did not like this beer at all. It did not stand out for me in any of the categories.

First of all, the beer had a weird smell. I was expecting a full-bodied sharpness from the black and crystal malts, and maybe some flavor hops. Instead, I got some weird estery smell, and it was not pleasant at all.

The taste was unbalanced; there was only a thin-bodied whisper of crispness and the hops tasted stale.

I was expecting a decent amount of body and mouthfeel to balance the sharpness of the black malt, but the beer was paper thing.

It's too bad such a classic American brewery has not made a classic beer in a deserving fashion.

2.13/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance – Very dark brown in color with a little carbonation and a smallish head.

Smell – The nicely roasted malt aroma is offset by some rather cheap smelling grain.

Taste – I really enjoyed the roasted malt flavors, but there was a slight sour tange that made this one disappointing.

Mouthfeel – The cheap carbonation and thin body earned this one low marks.

Drinkability – I was barely able to finish this rather lame attempt at the style.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter from Yuengling Brewery