Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter | Yuengling Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
Read the review

Yuengling Dark Brewed PorterYuengling Dark Brewed Porter

Yuengling Brewery
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter is an original specialty beer that has been brewed expressly for tavern owners and family trade since 1829. We are proud to be recognized as one of the largest porter producers in the US. An authentic craft-style beer, our Porter calls for a generous portion of caramel and dark roasted malts, which deliver a rich full-bodied flavor and creamy taste with slight tones of chocolate evident in every sip. It pours dark, topped with a thick foamy head, and imparts a faint malty aroma. This smooth and robust Porter has a unique character that complements any meal from steak or seafood to chocolate desserts. Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter is enjoyed by even the most discerning consumer for its flawless taste and unwavering quality.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-03-2001

Reviews: 393 | Ratings: 1,023
2.3/5  rDev -31.5%

Deep, dark brown with dark cherry highlights. I can't quite see light all the way through the glass even when I hold it up to my front window. Of course it's nighttime (just kidding). The head is light chocolate brown and looks insubstantial. It fizzed pretty aggressively and dropped to a thin film within minutes. Lace? Nope.

The first question that comes to mind as I smell the beer is: 'this is a porter?' There's very little oomph behind the nose and what's there isn't making me think porter. Weak dark lager at best. The flavor isn't much better. This may be the worst porter that I've had yet. For starters, it has almost no chocolate or coffee notes whatsoever. Mildly roasted dark malt with a sour 'bite' is about it. It's also way too thin and fizzy.

I'm not impressed by Yuengling Porter. No sir, not at all. This brewery seems to have somewhat of a loyal, cult following, but after sampling two of their offerings, I fail to see the attraction.

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%

I briefly considered writing two reviews for this beer.
I'm working my way through a case of it now (curse you, Pennsylvania) ... and some bottles are fine and others are unimpressive.
Served at the same temp., etc., so I can't explain it -- but it's like Jekyll and Hyde.

Let's start with the pour and mouthfeel, which are always the same. Beer is a dark brownish ruby that lets light through when you hold it up. Tan head builds up two fingers deep, but doesn't hang around long.

Mouthfeel is thin, kinda fizzy, probably the least impressive part of the beer.

The flavor, on good days, is pretty much what you'd expect from a dark beer -- roasty coffee and chocolate overtones. As another BA has said, nibbling on dark chocolate is a good complement to the beer.

It's not a complex, top-shelf porter, but it's an enjoyable drink nonetheless.

But other times I try it, the coffee and cocoa are nearly absent, replaced by a Concord-grapey kind of finishing pucker, sometimes even a taste that (in combination with the thin mouthfeel) reminds me of black cherry soda.

Would I recommend it? Well, I recommend trying just about any beer once, so I'd recommend it on that basis.
Or, buy a six-pack -- you're bound to like three of them .... ;-)

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark chestnut color with a brownish beige foamy head that sinks quickly but leaves a thin layer of foam atop. Smell is very understated cocoa with resinous hops coming through, almost overpowering the aroma. Mouthfeel is a little watery for a porter, but a tingle is felt in the finish. Subtle flavors of cocoa, a bit of coffee and caramel, but a surprising amount of hops bursting through as well. Some hops in the aftertaste as well. Not too close to my take on porters, but definitely drinkable, and very inexpensive.

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

Very dark pour with a very small head, very faint aroma of maybe coffee, just a touch of chocolate in the first taste and also something grapey, like a wine, overall somewhat thin for a porter, looked hard for other flavors, but they just weren't there. Needs to be bolder.

2.18/5  rDev -35.1%

I kind of like their lager (and certainly think that it's better than the "big three"). I was surprised to see this in one local store, as I had read about it but never saw it. The first time I tried this, I thought it was horrible. I didn't review it, thinking maybe it was just the wrong night or something. I gave it another shot tonight, and the taste of this beer is sickening to me. It starts out o.k., with a nice appearance and aroma. The tatse is hard to describe, but I'm a big porter fan, and I've never tasted anything like this. I poured it down the drain after two sips. This may be the worst tasting beer I've ever had.

3.26/5  rDev -3%

The beer poured translucent black with ruby highlights. The tan head fell back quickly to lace the glass.

The aroma had a slight chocolate in it. No hop aroma. Slight mineral aroma and very slight fruitiness.

The flavor was dry and crisp, but missing complexity. No real chocolate or other flavors in it. Not much going on in there.

The finish was dry. The body was medium.

12 ounce bottle. Very easy to drink due to lack of flavors and aromas.

3.55/5  rDev +5.7%

Yuengling's beers are a Philly-area secret. Sold at mega-brew prices in bars that only serve Miller and Bud, Yuengling beers are surprisingly good.

The company's porter lacks the complexity of the best beers in the style, yet it is a tasteful, drinkable beer that has just enough heartiness to provide the warmth and richness you expect from a porter. To be more abstract, if great porters like Skullsplitter and Perkuno's Hammer are for getting you through the deep freeze of January and February, Yuengling's porter will warm you up in March and the chill of early April.

Yuengling's beers are not exceptional and don't have an overwhelming taste--you'd be hard-pressed to identify a quirky taste or an dominant amount of a particular flavor in one of them. But what they do offer are very drinkable beers that make no mis-steps and have enough flavor to satisfy beer lovers who find themselves at a bar or party where megabrews are the only other option. Yuengling beers are great for parties, too, because your timid friends will enjoy them, whereas they might find a true Belgian or German beer to be off-limits.

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

There's just something you have to enjoy about porter. It''s not Yuengling's most popular beer, nor do many of my 'Lager' imbibing friends think it's good, but to me, Yueng Porter is great. It's the same price as lager ($16 and change) and it's heavy and on the verge of macro-ist, but it stays true to what it wants to be. Pours deep brown black, but you can see light through it when illuminated. Neat little tan head dissapears to lace within a minute or two. Has a decent bitterness, and smooth drawl, but it also has some element that makes it, you know, different than a craft brew. I can't explian it. I can't fault it. I've never seen a macro brew such a thing, and the unexplained PA love for yuengling and sons may sway me unbeknowst. All I know is that I buy a sixer or two every year, and I enjoy it. Recommended, especially for those looking for a 68 cent bottle (case wise) of something tasty and different.

2.13/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance – Very dark brown in color with a little carbonation and a smallish head.

Smell – The nicely roasted malt aroma is offset by some rather cheap smelling grain.

Taste – I really enjoyed the roasted malt flavors, but there was a slight sour tange that made this one disappointing.

Mouthfeel – The cheap carbonation and thin body earned this one low marks.

Drinkability – I was barely able to finish this rather lame attempt at the style.

4.03/5  rDev +19.9%

poured with a decent tan head and settled to thin skim on the surface, black color with hints of ruby brown at the bottom of the glass. chocolaty aroma with a slight hint of roasted grain and cream. very well balanced creamy taste, not much hops. by far this is the best beer yuengling makes and cheap as dirt too.

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

12 oz bottle

Appearance/Head: Dark, although not pitch black like some other porters/stouts. Pours with a fairly weak, light brown head.

Aroma: Not much here. A faint nutty aroma.

Flavor: Medium body. Some roasted malts. A bit sour in the aftertaste. Again, I wish there was more to report on.

Bottom line: Quite poor for a porter. There are many better examples of the style.

3.22/5  rDev -4.2%

An average run of the mill porter in my mind. Nice head wich stays for a bit very little lacing though, tastes of choclolat and fudge, no op flavor, and it isnt very complex, also it was a little thin on the palate but ok none the less from a pricepoint stance pretty decent.

4.67/5  rDev +39%

Revisiting this beer again after many years. I notice the label has been redesigned.

Pours a dark chocolate color. A beer in a grey flannel suit.

Smell is cool seashells, carob, slate, and a pure mist of carbon dioxide. A hint of iodine peeks through as well -- this is a directed, clean, determined beer.

Taste is wonderfully controlled, with the slight cheese of Hershey's Milk Chocolate, a backboard-straight malt center, and a firm finish from the lager yeast. This is truly minimalist expression in a glass, and beautifully done; it is steady, sedate as a rock garden, and perfectly pleasing. This is a complete package, with no frills, no excesses, no missteps. Not too much, not too little. Exceptional.

Mouthfeel is fairly good -- solid, supportive, and active. There is the sensation of many sliding, tightly-packed bubbles, never too stiff, but certainly with a full presence.

Drinkability is quite good; this beer particularly shines when paired with very spicy food. It puts out the fire, refreshes the palate, and even adds its own savory note. In particular, I can think of no better tipple with numbingly-spicy Sichuan cuisine.

It's funny how time changes our perception of what we imbibe. It doesn't seem that there have been major changes made to Yuengling Porter since 2003, when I last reviewed it, but my appreciation has grown immensely. The austerity of this beer, the flavor profile of this lager porter, one of, if not the, last of its kind, speaks to me. Who needs lots of alcohol, and overwrought flavors, and all those other high-octane tricks?

This is back to basics. This is, in an ideal world, what should capture the imagination of the craft movement. This is a beer to be meditated on. Consider it, and consider yourself.

Original Review, September 2003:

Hints of a chunky, fudge-y, chocolate-y taste to this one, but it never totally follows through on its promise. Major drawbacks are that aroma isn't really there, and the mouthfeel is pretty thin.

As a porter, I think this has great potential, but it's just a bit short. Still doesn't mean I'm not a fan.

I'm a sucker for their lager, having grown up on it, but I have to say, this is Yuengling's best beer -- a journeyman baseball player in the world of brewing. For a solid, consistent, very cheap dark session beer, this is what I'm probably going to pick up

Try this with some dark chocolate at the same time -- not bad.

3.16/5  rDev -6%

Pours an extremely dark clear brown-garnet, with a long lasting but soapy tan head.

A mild confectionary/chocolate aroma, with a hint of grassiness.

Taste is extremely average, but definitely palatable when compared with other beers in its price range. A bit thin, and it has very lager-ish characteristics other than a mildly roasty, chocolate finish. Hops are subdued; this could pass for an under-hopped schwarzbier.

Again I have to class this with Saranac; decent but not great beer at a good price. It's nice to see Yuengling finally making inroads to the Buffalo market.

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color was dark brown/black, with little head. The smell was somewhat the typical porter coffee. The taste was slightly coffee-ish, with a bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel was slightly heavy. Drinkability-wise, could have a couple more.

Though I've had plenty of better porters, the Yuengling porter is quite good for what it is. I wouldn't actively seek it out, but if it was there, I'd possibly have another.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Poures a dark brown color with some redness showing thru with a almond colored head that dissapates quickly.Smell was roasty and of coffee with some chocaltey notes,taste was pretty comples with roasted malt being prominent but I also go some butteriness and marshmello sweetness.A little thin in body,but I really like this offering YB.

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

This beer pours a clear dark red/brown color with a moderate rocky tan head. The mouthfeel was moderate and effervescent-not bad but out of place for the style. The smell is faintly smoky and coffee. The taste is mild coffee and toasty with a mild bitterness. This is an enjoyable, drinkable, very mild porter that actually seems a porter in name alone

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Black in color with a thin, dark tan head. Roasted malt aroma, though it's a bit thin. Flavor starts off with a bit of sweet, caramel and chocolate malt and ends with what is actually a quite nice bitter and roasty finish. A bit thin bodied, and the flavor is lacking in a certain robustness. Still, not a bad porter.

3.66/5  rDev +8.9%

Right now, this is my favorite Yuengling product, and in my opinion it is far more superior to Yuengling's Black & Tan in almost every aspect. This is one beer that satisfies without really knocking you off your feet. Great taste makes this beer good, and its affordability is an added bonus.

Yuengling Porter pours a nice dark brown color that lets only a little bit of light through. A nice tan/light brown head forms and sticks around for awhile, but leaves a minimal amount of lace. The smell is nothing too outstanding, as it isn't very strong but it does contain some hints of roasted malts with coffee and nuttiness. The mouthfeel is smooth, but a little thin for the style. Not heavily carbonated (which is a plus here). A coffee flavor is the most dominant taste, carrying a hint of sweetness. Slight nutty, chocolate, and buttery notes. Nice roasted malt flavor altogether. Hops lend some bitterness to the finish, but don't really play a big role here. The slight bitterness and coffee flavor carry on into the aftertaste with some grassiness making itself known. Unfortunately, I think I detected a hint of the corn/DMS off-flavor, but it was only a hint. And although I'm sure the alcohol isn't very high in this beer, there is a slight warming effect, making this a good winter brew and finishing off the beer effectively.

The Porter lacks the astringency of the Black & Tan, making this much easier to drink, and for a Porter this goes down almost too smoothly. The flavor is fuller and much more well-rounded as well, although not entirely robust (some would say that this is a mellow porter). In conclusion, a very nice American porter. Nothing earth-shattering here, just wholesome beer goodness.

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

Probably the best offering from the folks in Pottsville and the favorite of the folks who live there. Nice body, good choice of malts and proper hopping for the style. Easily drinkable with a decent head. Available all over PA and I was perplexed during my recent trip to Philly that no Stoudt's or Victory were available in the places I ate. Not an outstanding beer, but a good fallback.

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

To be perfect honest, I never thought this beer would be as good as it was a year ago when I first really started drinking different beers. However, the Yuengling porter comes through as one of the best overall basic good drinkable porters I have come by. It pours a very dark ruby amber with a beige moccha colored foaming head with little or no lace. Contains a deep roasted barley aroma with hints of chocolate and some rather mild coffe-esque fragances. The flavors are a great combination of smoothy creamy dark roasted barley wrapped with chocolate and strong coffe tones, very nicely balanced overall crisp drinkable taste. A fuller creamy mouthfeel that I enjoyed fully, and this beer is so smooth and drinkable and maybe just a tad lighter in body than the typical porter. Still, I am glad Yuengling is upkeeping this fine brew.

4.28/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

It's been a while since I have had this beer. This is a "working class" beer. Dark chocolate aroma with roasted hazlenuts blending beautifully with the hops. It poured a very deep ruby color, almost black. The head was huge and tan colored. I remember not liking this beer when I was younger, but I would definitely recommend this beer today. An easy drinking porter and and overall tasty beer.

3.26/5  rDev -3%

hi. this is my staple beer. i drink this when i can't decide what to have or if i'm planning on over doing it a bit. the appearance is dark ruby or amber with almost no head that dies fast and is sandy in color. there is very little odor to this beer, suprising for a porter. what odor there is slightly floral and autumnal. the taste is not so complex but it has a front of light coffee, caramel and wet leaves, this develops to a dry and bitter post-taste, a bit of smokiness develops over time. the mouthfeel is a weird thing for me to think about, i suppose this is creamy and not as bubbly. burps well for a dark beer, probably because it's not so heavy. this beer is a bit watery up against other porters but that may be why i can drink about 12 of these in a few hours. don't buy this for a date or a special occasion, get this beer for a regular occasion if you like dark beer. this is an old fashioned american porter from the oldest brewery in the u.s. a family business, this brewery deserves my respect and support. shit, thanks for reading my first review.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

I'm a big fan of Yuenglings Porter and I find it to be one of the best cheap-ish american porters on the market. Sure, Anchor Porter is fuller than this which gives it a slightly higher drinkability factor, but it is also twice as much a case, and not really available to me around here, in singles or sixers. Porter, however, can be had almost anywhere...sometimes on tap, and usually it is very easy to find it in singles or six packs, this is a good thing, my friend.:-) This beer pours a dark brown-ish/black colour with a minimal head on it. This smells of coffee, darkened chocolate malts, and some smoked roasty flavors. The taste is more of the same. Roasty and chocolaty, nice! This has a good mouthfeel to it but it is a little watery and thin, which does take away from this beers drinkability factor a bit. Still all in all you can't beat any of Yuenglings products for the price. @13-16 a case this is a damn good dark brewed porter beer!
Cheers, Yuengling!
F.

4.07/5  rDev +21.1%

Yuengling's Porter has slowly become my preference out of the brewery's line of beers. A fresh draught is much better than a bottle, but for this review I was restricted to the latter. It poured a dark, slightly reddish color with a thin head that retained well. The aroma was of a subtle chocolate or coffee element, with a slight spicy aspect. The roasted malt was balanced very well with the hops in this brew, and an aftertaste of coffee or weak cocoa finishes rather nicely. A fuller, stronger taste would have made this beer even better, but I was not disappointed when comparing it to other porters. A creamy mouthfeel and a medium- to full-body made this beer very enjoyable. It is also one of the most drinkable porters I have had. Where it may lack in strength of taste, it compensates nicely in drinkability and price. A fine brew overall...this sixer (which I bought for $5.30, by the way) will go down very quickly.

Yuengling Dark Brewed Porter from Yuengling Brewery