Organic IPA - Napa Smith Brewery

Napa Smith Brewery visit their website

Beer added by: DousedInStout on 03-09-2010

3.25/5  rDev -5%

1.9/5  rDev -44.4%

I like big beers and I also I like IPAs. This was a tremendous (and pricey) disappointement. This stuff tastes like what I imagine gerbil food to taste like. The grassy aroma is not much better. If you have other options (including water), I recommend you consider them.

3.25/5  rDev -5%

3.77/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

not saying this is world class or anything, but I am surprised to see it rated so low here. its actually a pretty darn good ipa. it pours a really hazy faded brass color, with an inch or just less of stable white head. I smell more bitter hops than anything, centennial or cascade or something else west coast and big, without being overly sticky and dank. there is a mild pale granular aroma as well. big hop flavors all the way through, but never falling out of balance. I think what maybe people don't like about this beer is all its yeast. it has a bit of sediment left in suspension, and it does impart some bready characteristics that might be unfamiliar to some. to me, I really enjoy the yeast in here, it reminds me of more of the Belgian style india pale ales, and it helps the finish be interesting without being just a straight hop bomb. medium body, very very brightly carbonated, and a balanced bitter aftertaste. its a well crafted beer overall, and my first from this brewery. I appreciate that its organic, and will look forward to trying some of their other stuff.

3.01/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

A. Deep hazy copper with average head and lacing.

S. Sweet malt, fruity, herbal, sour funkiness.

T. Sweet caramel malt, granny smith and citrus like hops, some dark herbal earthy bitterness. Finishes with a weird funky dirty sock, bad parmesan flavor. If it weren't for the weird finish this would be a good beer.

M. Good carb, medium to heavy body.

O. This beer is good up front but once it gets to the back of your taste buds the funky cheese ruins every thing.

2.35/5  rDev -31.3%

A- cloudy brown, looks sorta like a fresh unfiltered apple juice, pours tall head that falls fast

S- apricots, fig newtons

T- bitter but not hoppy and bright that i like in ipas. has a bit of a syrupy caramel flavor. as i sip it i really enjoy it but the after taste isn't my favorite.

M- light on the front end heavy in the butt

O- okay beer but it is kinda pricey and comes in a four pack. not the complexity i want in an ipa. too heavy on the malt and caramel for my taste

4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

4.33/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This be my 1st review. Felt compelled to speak up since the beer only makes a 78 and I think it rates 85-90. Not savvy in all the lingo but here goes.

Pours a deep-orange copper with noticeable sediment. Head is moderate.

Smell is unique in my experience -- most prominent is SWEET CARAMEL, and fruity hops.

Taste matches smell with a sweet, creamy, delicious party in my mouth :-) Like other full-bodied beers I've had, it's like a meal-in-a-glass. Usually don't experience this kind of body with less than 9-10% alc.

Finishes with caramel stuck to the top of the palette, and a slightly bitter, grapefruity finish.

This is the BEST ORGANIC I've experienced -- and makes it onto my favorite beer list as well. It's unlike most IPAs I've had as hops aren't as in-your-face.

Organic IPA from Napa Smith Brewery