St. Sebastiaan Dark - Brouwerij Sterkens N.V.

St. Sebastiaan DarkSt. Sebastiaan Dark

Brouwerij Sterkens N.V. visit their website

Dubbel |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-30-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Sebastiaan Dark Alström Bros
Stonepot

Ontario (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +25.8%

On a rainy night while my little one sleeps gently in his crib, I search frantically through the entanglement of kitchen wares I call a top drawer, and after many guffaws and sighs I finally procure my bottle opener, sit down on the terrace and crack open one of the finest brews I have ever had. Life is glorious.

08-02-2009 12:08:47 | More by Stonepot
bskrtz

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

A) Cloudy dark cola w/floaties

S) Sweet breads, malt, sour dough

T) Darn good, thanks for asking... A fine Belgian dark ale. Very smooth and complex, sweet molassis and dark fruit

M) Effervescent fiz so common with secondary bottle fermentation. Rich and thick -- a beer to drink before a meal, doing so afterwards may be difficult

D) An excellent Belgian dark ale. With 6.9% alcohol, you could enjoy a few and still remain cognizant

06-29-2009 01:25:27 | More by bskrtz
sjclay00

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

T- Very smooth with a bready taste. Very enjoyable
M- Smooth without much bitterness
D- With the smooth mouthfeel, drinkability is above average. Could have a few of these but soon the bread like taste would become to much.
A- A brown with a decent head about two fingers. Left a few yeast sediments floating
S- Not very hoppy, smells mostly like malt a little sweet

04-05-2009 01:05:15 | More by sjclay00
weeare138

Appears a semi-transparent dark copper with a rocky, light tan head that slowly fades out. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of candies, sugar, toffee, oxidized fruit, dark wheat bread, & spicy pepper.
Taste is of the mentioned dark bread, fruit, sweet candy, with some caramel, and raisins showing in the flavors.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, with mineral notes found in some of the better Belgian beers.

02-19-2009 00:30:33 | More by weeare138
K7M

Mississippi

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Purchased at Four Winds in Pensacola FL, suggested by Mike, the Beer manager.

Pours nicely into a glass with solid dark color and aroma. Overall a full flavor without bitterness, not too sweet, a unique yeasty flavor that is pleasant. This is a good solid dark Beer that I will enjoy again and also recommend to my friends.

This is a good Beer for those who enjoy Dark Beers and I will purchase more in the future.

02-15-2009 01:20:28 | More by K7M
dmamiano

West Virginia

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

This beer was a gift from a friend. The bottle alone was worth the price of admission.
Poured a dark mahogany with a thick, tan head that resembled whipped cream floating on coffee.
Smell was sweet, malty absolutely no hops detected. The tell tale Belgian yeastiness all over the nostrils.
Taste was big, malty. yeasty and funky. Belgianesque in the taste. Ripe fruits, raisins and plums come to mind.
Very enjoyable sipper.

01-03-2009 14:37:01 | More by dmamiano
ZimZamZoom

West Virginia

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a nice looking ceramic bottle into some snifters. Nice looking dark brown color, nice ruby hues when held to some light. There were some serious floaters in our glasses, but the beer was not cloudy at all. I got a rock solid tan head that did not quit. Lacing abounds.

Aroma is bready, with some yeast esters and a nice ripe fruit character. Some light hop spice in the background. Taste is big on bready malt and has hints of over-ripe apples, dates and raisins. Nice dark fruit complexity to this beer.

This dubbel has good body, not real heavy and not showing much carbonation in the feel. It's easy to sip this one again and again.

This beer does not rank up there with the Trappist versions of the style that I have had, but still is very nice.

01-03-2009 12:56:10 | More by ZimZamZoom
Rayek

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Cloudy walnut colored beer with minimal carbonation. Rocky cream head has amazing retention and leaves a heavy lace.

S: There's a lot going on here. Cinnamon, clove and coriander hit me first. Oranges, lemons and apples come in from behind. Heavy spices dominate the fruit aromas.

T: Very complex. Definitely a beer to savor, as each sip reveals a new flavor. The coriander, clove and cinnamon aromas combine in the mouth to create a spicy bitterness. Sweetness comes in the form of cherry, apple and orange flavors. Yeast adds a biscuit quality. Finishes very dry and tart.

M: Medium body feels sticky. Carbonation is a touch low and leaves the beer with a slight watery character.

D: This was on sale and I couldn't pass up the super cool stone bottle. I'm very glad I grabbed this. Perhaps too pricey to buy more than once a year, but well worth the investment.

12-18-2008 17:17:01 | More by Rayek
Mebuzzard

Provided by Holybrew.
Poured into a not-so-pint glass. Nice color to it, but looks a bit oily. Brown and amber fight for dominance, and the head is fairly weak with little retention.
Weak smell as well. Nothing bad, but not very strong. Some sweets to it, caramel and bready yeast. Slight spice incorporated as well.
Taste is also weak. Not bad. Soft fruits come out like prune and raisin, a little bit of caramel. Alcohol is noticeable.
Oil feel to it. Slick. Caramel aftertaste. Little punch or bite to it. Seems very flat, too.

11-03-2008 11:58:49 | More by Mebuzzard
spike882

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

A dark beer that has a slightly sweet flavor to it. Notes of dark fruit and prunes in the nose. No hop flavor at all, and not much of a flavor overall really. Absolutely no carbonation at all when poured, looked like brown water. Not a good beer flat but would like to try again if carbonated properly, if that is how it is supposed to be. As is would not reccomend especially at around $9 a bottle.

10-27-2008 23:07:30 | More by spike882
nephilae

2.38/5  rDev -38.7%

A dark and syrupy beer. Slightly sweet, not particularly hoppy or flavorful. ZERO CARBONATION upon pouring into the goblet. As in NO bubbles. I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but if it is, I'd be hesitant to try it again. It's not good flat, but I see that it could potentially be good with the proper carbonation. I might try it again, and update my review....

09-29-2008 04:21:22 | More by nephilae
bonkers

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

I poured a 16 ounce bottle into a tupip glass. This pours a beutiful dark color with hints of red. A big fluffy head forms, then fades quickly leaving little streaks of lace. When I held it up to a light there are lettle yeasty floaters. The nose is of a sweet brown sugary alchohol. The first sip is sweet and the finish is of a lingering complew alchohol. The beer is medium bodied with light carbonation. The beer is an enjoyable sipper. A damn fine beer.

09-20-2008 01:31:27 | More by bonkers
midaszero

Washington

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

A - Dark brown with some bubbles but no real head

S - Dark fruit with lots of raisin. Fairly sweet

T - Chocolate with a little bit of spice. A little cola and smoked flavor can be found as well.

M - Medium body with no carbonation. Very smooth and creamy

D - Not to bad but I wouldn't bother picking up another bottle unless I was sure it was actually carbonated.

08-16-2008 21:36:19 | More by midaszero
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Best By Date February 2011; Sampled August 2008
Nutty, almost oxidized aromas greet my nose as I pour this into my 25cl tulip glass. The beer pours with an easily, three-finger thick, light tan colored head that sticks well to the sides of my glass. The beer is a dark, deep, concentrated red color (not black at all, but quite dark) that shows a brilliantly clear, ruby hue when held up to the light. Pronounced fruity notes of raisins and prunes add substantially to the aroma and are quite intertwined with the aforementioned nutty note. Those are the major aromatic notes, but if you really dig around there is also a musty, almost mold, malt note towards the finish.

Quite sweet tasting and with the pronounced fruity esters this actually gets a bit cloying towards the finish despite not being overly thick. Actually somewhat light bodied (especially given the sweetness), though it is a bit viscous and certainly has some heft to it that has it sticking to the palate. Fruit flavors of prune soda, concentrated raisins and a touch of fig combine with a light, toasted nut note (hazel nut perhaps?) and even a touch of Sherry. Speaking of soda, this definitely has a cola / Dr. Pepper sort of note to it, especially in the finish where the beer gets a bt cloying.

Much to sweet and cloying, which makes this brew one-dimensional in both flavor and aroma. This has a surprisingly long best by date and it makes me wonder if some heavy oxidation might dry this beer out and actually help the flavor. Unfortunately this beer is not worth that experiment, when I have way too much other beer in the stash, but someone should try it.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

08-12-2008 03:43:16 | More by Gueuzedude
yemenmocha

Arizona

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours dark brown, somewhat hazy, with light tan head that retains well.

Nose has raisins, pipe tobacco, and steel/metallic elements.

Palate has an off-caramel taste, mineral-y flavors, good carbonation, smooth body, and raisins on the finish.

There's also a musty cave flavor that is hard to describe. Very pleasing.

07-24-2008 05:34:50 | More by yemenmocha
Overlord

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to the Silvers for the brew.

Pours a dark reddish brown. Basically, no head. Just a thin white film and a bit of bubbling on the edges. Interesting.

Smells of rum soaked, dark fruits and a bit of chocolate. I had to go double check what beer type this is, as I was for some reason expecting a Belgian Dark, and this clearly was not that.

Very pleasant tasting. Not overwhelmingly quaffable/drinkable, but a good dark fruit background, some chocolate, and a bit of roasted maltiness.

A solid beer, if a bit thin on the mouthfeel.

05-22-2008 07:02:06 | More by Overlord
mithrascruor

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

500 mL bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with reddish hints. Off-white head is a thin film, but with thicker and more constant bubbles at the edges.

Smell: Rich coffee-caramel-chocolate-alcohol aroma. Nice sugarly roasted malts.

Taste: Has a sweeter aroma of creamed coffee, roasted malts, and a bit of cholcolate and caramel. Slight bit of dark fruits in the finish, and a light bittersweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A bit ligher-bodied than I would expect, or a bit watery/thin. Still nicely smooth with a mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Good amount of alcohol and the taste is not overpowering. Easy to drink.

An enjoyable Dubbel, but not quite as exciting as I was hoping for. Still, I recall the price being pretty good and would recommend it for fans of Belgian beers.

05-18-2008 23:10:51 | More by mithrascruor
LumpyGuitar

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Amazing.

When I first opened the ceramic bottle there was alot of froth, and when I poured it the head was small and mostly nonexistent. Color was a dark brown.

Smell is sweet, smells like Dubbel. Sort of smells like warm brown sugar.

Taste is sweet, a bit fruity, again with the hints of sugar and carmel, good flavor.

Mouthfeel is better than I expected, very smooth, light, and no lingering aftertaste.

Drinkability here is a high for me. If it wasn't 10 dollars a bottle here I'd say I might try it as a session beer but then again I feel that it's too rich to do it well.

Bottom line : Buy a few.

05-08-2008 23:24:30 | More by LumpyGuitar
champ103

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

A: This pours a dark brown/reddish color. A two finger head forms. As the head recedes, some light lace is left behind.
S: Toasted malt, some yeast, and a little funky/musky. There is a bit of a bread/biscuit aroma as well.
T: Lots of malt. Caramel flavors and a hint of chocolate. Bready earthy yeast with some brown sugar. There are several layers of flavor that are just right with the style.
M/D: Over carbonated and crisp for the style I think. I am looking for something more rich and creamy. Goes down smooth and easy. A good sipping beer.

A nice Belgium Dubble. One I would drink again and recommend.

05-06-2008 23:52:50 | More by champ103
lpayette

Vermont

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a nice dark brownish red. About two fingers of head with some lacing. A good looking beer overall.

The aroma is surprisingly medicinal and herbal. Dark belgian candy sugar is pretty evident as well. Beneath these three main components lies a strong and sweet malty backbone that is perfectly and subtly balanced with some low alpha acid hop. Almost a hint of licorice... but I think it's mostly the medicinal notes creating a similar smell.

The taste and mouthfeel far exceeded my expectations. It's rich and malty with a medium body. Perfectly balanced to be a little bit on the sweet side. just a little bit. Suggestions of raisins- chocolate covered ones. Raisinettes you might say. This is so smooth and enjoyable.

This style is always hit or miss with me. This is a great example of the style. Probably my favorite to date. If I remember correctly, this can be had for a very decent price too, especially considering the cool ceramic, swing-top bottle it comes in.

05-01-2008 02:19:29 | More by lpayette
SMark

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

This beer was poured from a 16 ounce ceramic bottle at 48º. There was no head to speak of and the pour appeared to be quite limpid. The beer was dark brown and several larger bubbles appeared at the top instead of a head.

The aroma had a briny somewhat syrupy smell but I would not say it was offending.

There was kind of a light coffee, caramel taste that needed to warm up a little more to give it some body. I will take my time to see if it improves.

This was not producing the anticipated flavors and aromas I was hoping for hence the time spent in the mouth was short lived also. It is still growing on me.

Although a little disappointed with this beer I was not completely dissatisfied. It is getting better as it warms and requires sipping at slower intervals. Enjoy slowly and limit your intake.

11-27-2007 04:34:01 | More by SMark
Deus1138

Georgia

Pour: Dark. Darker than I expected.

Smell: Mild sweetness, and surprisingly, some roasted malts.

Taste: Lots going on here. Dark fruit sweetness, maybe some nut flavor in there too. Roasted malts. Tastes kind of like a sweet stout.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is good stuff. I was surprised by the roasted malt flavors I was detecting. If I had to recommend a Dubbel, I'd recommend it to a friend.

11-26-2007 00:43:34 | More by Deus1138
CapeFear

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

I recieved this beer from Cape Fear Wine and Beer. I was drawn to the dark ceramic bottle with the picture of the monk on the front. My barkeep popped it and poured into tulip glass for me, as I prepared to drink I was taken aback by the amazing head that erupted from the glass. The next aspect of the beer i took notice to was the beautiful raven color of my glass. The lacing of this beer was as if someone had draped a doilie across my glass in the pour. Now to the smell a massive roasted malt caramel breath drew my face into the glass to embibe. The color of this beer being somewhat deceptive it is amazingly drinkable. I am tempted to chug, but restrain myself and sip this nectar away.

11-18-2007 18:38:58 | More by CapeFear
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Had date code of 28/5/11 wouldn't reccomend holding it that long. I had one crock or whatever you call faux ceramic bottled explode in my car, hairline crack in the bottle? At least they (Powers Liqour Mart) let me get a another in exchange

Poured mahogany (orangey red when held to an intense light) with 1.5 fingers of tan headGood head retention & average lacing

S: Plummy & chocolate scents

T: Some choclatey, fruity & herbal hop notes up front. Slight hints of oakyness, iron & raisins as this warms. Finishes bready & fruitty

MF: Medium bodied with some stickyness & low carbonation

Drinks easy, a nice clean tasting, unassuming Dubbel

09-14-2007 15:04:29 | More by russpowell
belgbeerdrinker

2.4/5  rDev -38.1%

a: dark brown, thick and appears chocoately, decent head, lots of lacing. looks good.
s: toasted malts dominate with some caramel
t: strong malts with hints of caramel, but a full flavor never materializes here
m: medium carbonation, surprisingly light to medium body, this was just a lot thinner than expected for a belgian even if a dubbel
d: a disappointment. looks like more money went into the presentation (ceramic bottle) than the beer. too bad.

09-02-2007 08:51:25 | More by belgbeerdrinker
St. Sebastiaan Dark from Brouwerij Sterkens N.V.