St. Sebastiaan Dark - Brouwerij Sterkens N.V.

St. Sebastiaan DarkSt. Sebastiaan Dark

Brouwerij Sterkens N.V. visit their website

Dubbel |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-30-2000)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Sebastiaan Dark Alström Bros
Overlord

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to the Silvers for the brew.

Pours a dark reddish brown. Basically, no head. Just a thin white film and a bit of bubbling on the edges. Interesting.

Smells of rum soaked, dark fruits and a bit of chocolate. I had to go double check what beer type this is, as I was for some reason expecting a Belgian Dark, and this clearly was not that.

Very pleasant tasting. Not overwhelmingly quaffable/drinkable, but a good dark fruit background, some chocolate, and a bit of roasted maltiness.

A solid beer, if a bit thin on the mouthfeel.

05-22-2008 07:02:06 | More by Overlord
mithrascruor

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

500 mL bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with reddish hints. Off-white head is a thin film, but with thicker and more constant bubbles at the edges.

Smell: Rich coffee-caramel-chocolate-alcohol aroma. Nice sugarly roasted malts.

Taste: Has a sweeter aroma of creamed coffee, roasted malts, and a bit of cholcolate and caramel. Slight bit of dark fruits in the finish, and a light bittersweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A bit ligher-bodied than I would expect, or a bit watery/thin. Still nicely smooth with a mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Good amount of alcohol and the taste is not overpowering. Easy to drink.

An enjoyable Dubbel, but not quite as exciting as I was hoping for. Still, I recall the price being pretty good and would recommend it for fans of Belgian beers.

05-18-2008 23:10:51 | More by mithrascruor
LumpyGuitar

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Amazing.

When I first opened the ceramic bottle there was alot of froth, and when I poured it the head was small and mostly nonexistent. Color was a dark brown.

Smell is sweet, smells like Dubbel. Sort of smells like warm brown sugar.

Taste is sweet, a bit fruity, again with the hints of sugar and carmel, good flavor.

Mouthfeel is better than I expected, very smooth, light, and no lingering aftertaste.

Drinkability here is a high for me. If it wasn't 10 dollars a bottle here I'd say I might try it as a session beer but then again I feel that it's too rich to do it well.

Bottom line : Buy a few.

05-08-2008 23:24:30 | More by LumpyGuitar
champ103

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

A: This pours a dark brown/reddish color. A two finger head forms. As the head recedes, some light lace is left behind.
S: Toasted malt, some yeast, and a little funky/musky. There is a bit of a bread/biscuit aroma as well.
T: Lots of malt. Caramel flavors and a hint of chocolate. Bready earthy yeast with some brown sugar. There are several layers of flavor that are just right with the style.
M/D: Over carbonated and crisp for the style I think. I am looking for something more rich and creamy. Goes down smooth and easy. A good sipping beer.

A nice Belgium Dubble. One I would drink again and recommend.

05-06-2008 23:52:50 | More by champ103
lpayette

Vermont

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a nice dark brownish red. About two fingers of head with some lacing. A good looking beer overall.

The aroma is surprisingly medicinal and herbal. Dark belgian candy sugar is pretty evident as well. Beneath these three main components lies a strong and sweet malty backbone that is perfectly and subtly balanced with some low alpha acid hop. Almost a hint of licorice... but I think it's mostly the medicinal notes creating a similar smell.

The taste and mouthfeel far exceeded my expectations. It's rich and malty with a medium body. Perfectly balanced to be a little bit on the sweet side. just a little bit. Suggestions of raisins- chocolate covered ones. Raisinettes you might say. This is so smooth and enjoyable.

This style is always hit or miss with me. This is a great example of the style. Probably my favorite to date. If I remember correctly, this can be had for a very decent price too, especially considering the cool ceramic, swing-top bottle it comes in.

05-01-2008 02:19:29 | More by lpayette
SMark

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

This beer was poured from a 16 ounce ceramic bottle at 48º. There was no head to speak of and the pour appeared to be quite limpid. The beer was dark brown and several larger bubbles appeared at the top instead of a head.

The aroma had a briny somewhat syrupy smell but I would not say it was offending.

There was kind of a light coffee, caramel taste that needed to warm up a little more to give it some body. I will take my time to see if it improves.

This was not producing the anticipated flavors and aromas I was hoping for hence the time spent in the mouth was short lived also. It is still growing on me.

Although a little disappointed with this beer I was not completely dissatisfied. It is getting better as it warms and requires sipping at slower intervals. Enjoy slowly and limit your intake.

11-27-2007 04:34:01 | More by SMark
Deus1138

Georgia

Pour: Dark. Darker than I expected.

Smell: Mild sweetness, and surprisingly, some roasted malts.

Taste: Lots going on here. Dark fruit sweetness, maybe some nut flavor in there too. Roasted malts. Tastes kind of like a sweet stout.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is good stuff. I was surprised by the roasted malt flavors I was detecting. If I had to recommend a Dubbel, I'd recommend it to a friend.

Serving type: growler

11-26-2007 00:43:34 | More by Deus1138
CapeFear

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

I recieved this beer from Cape Fear Wine and Beer. I was drawn to the dark ceramic bottle with the picture of the monk on the front. My barkeep popped it and poured into tulip glass for me, as I prepared to drink I was taken aback by the amazing head that erupted from the glass. The next aspect of the beer i took notice to was the beautiful raven color of my glass. The lacing of this beer was as if someone had draped a doilie across my glass in the pour. Now to the smell a massive roasted malt caramel breath drew my face into the glass to embibe. The color of this beer being somewhat deceptive it is amazingly drinkable. I am tempted to chug, but restrain myself and sip this nectar away.

11-18-2007 18:38:58 | More by CapeFear
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Had date code of 28/5/11 wouldn't reccomend holding it that long. I had one crock or whatever you call faux ceramic bottled explode in my car, hairline crack in the bottle? At least they (Powers Liqour Mart) let me get a another in exchange

Poured mahogany (orangey red when held to an intense light) with 1.5 fingers of tan headGood head retention & average lacing

S: Plummy & chocolate scents

T: Some choclatey, fruity & herbal hop notes up front. Slight hints of oakyness, iron & raisins as this warms. Finishes bready & fruitty

MF: Medium bodied with some stickyness & low carbonation

Drinks easy, a nice clean tasting, unassuming Dubbel

09-14-2007 15:04:29 | More by russpowell
belgbeerdrinker

Colorado

2.4/5  rDev -38.1%

a: dark brown, thick and appears chocoately, decent head, lots of lacing. looks good.
s: toasted malts dominate with some caramel
t: strong malts with hints of caramel, but a full flavor never materializes here
m: medium carbonation, surprisingly light to medium body, this was just a lot thinner than expected for a belgian even if a dubbel
d: a disappointment. looks like more money went into the presentation (ceramic bottle) than the beer. too bad.

09-02-2007 08:51:25 | More by belgbeerdrinker
janubio

Spain

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

500 cl ceramic bottle. Dark brown colour aond no head at all. At first I thought it was going to be bad from travel, but no. Delicious aroma of pears, peaches, dark fruits and chocolate. How can this be made according to the German purity law? Sweet silky flavor, but a lighter body than expected. Taste of fruits, again peaches, port wine, spices, and chocolate. It's great, the only weakness is the shy body.

08-31-2007 19:57:13 | More by janubio
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer poured a very dark brown with a thick persistent head. It exhibited excellent lacing when I swirled the glass. The aroma is mostly sour with some malt undertones. The taste is quite malty with some hints of sourness and perhaps chocolate. The mouthfeel is full but shy of chewy. This is an interesting and complex brew that works well.

05-16-2007 22:34:20 | More by barefootbrewer
revdrjbob

Australia

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Recieved this fantastic looking beer from my malt supplier as a Christmas present, thanks Dave! I came in a wooden box with a tulip glass, looked nice, again Teaser said I had enough beer glasses. The funny thing about the packaging is that it says this beer - a Belgian Dubbel - is brewed according to the German purity law... That's a tad odd, for a Belgian beer. Don't Belgian brewers use sugars and candy to get awesome flavours and rich aromatics and colour?

Poured into it's own tulip glass this Belgian dubbel showed a dark brown with amber hues and a thick off white head that dissipated quickly. It left saopy bubbles and a small amount of lace.

Aroma of biscuits, maltyness and a slight yeastyness. Little to no hops, a touch of chocolate, caramel and that richness you get from dark fruits and toffee. Sadly no phenolics, no spiceyness.

Tasted nice, if a bit bland for a Dubbel. Rich and malty, a slight bitterness and a hint of chocolate, but nothing like other Dubbels I've had. A bit of a shame too, nice packaging. Maybe the German influence is to blame.

02-13-2007 08:38:22 | More by revdrjbob
paulthebeerguru

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

I decided to pour this into a goblet to open it up. Once poured the head disapated almost intently, leaving a small 1/8 inch layer of beautiful head. The beer is a dark rubyish color, or as I call it, mahogany. The aroma from the glass is of toffee and caramel. The flavor of this Dubbel is strong at first, and then it mellows into its greatness. There is a very light amount of lacing with this beer as well. This Dubble is really nice especially when comparing it to several others that I have tried. After a few sips, my mouth feels clean, as if I had just drank water...this is not a bad thing, as the flavor of the beer is still lingering.

I recommend this to anyone looking to step out of the norm...this is a good way to get a Newkie Brown drinker to try new things!!!

01-10-2007 05:34:16 | More by paulthebeerguru
Byeast

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured a dark brown/ brick color , with a tan , creamy head that left a sticky lace. The aroma is earthy , some spice , tinge of dark fruit , bit of metallic aroma. The taste is fairly complex , with a lively carbonation. Chewy , sweet , caramel maltiness at first , then some dark fruit , tinge of steely crystal malt , some earthy spice , and maybe a small bit of bitter hops to balance. The mouthfeel is a bit chewy and creamy from the carbonation. Definatly a drinkable dubbel. Imo, this one is on the earthier side.

10-13-2006 01:48:02 | More by Byeast
fido

Mexico

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Nice 500 ml ceramic bottle.

It pours a cloudy dark brown color with nice foamy head, excellent lace; Smell is of roasted malt, coffee and alcohol; Taste is of malt and some spice; Mouthfeel is dry, good amount of carbonation, Medium body; Very drinkable.

Belgian Dubbel Recommended.

07-22-2006 05:16:05 | More by fido
BeerManDan

When poured it was very dark brown in color with a fair amount of medium tan foam and a fair amout of lace on the side of the glass.
The taste of toasty toffee with a caramel nose with layers of soft malts and hops. A big beer without being overly heavy. Extremely well-balanced.

06-16-2006 22:30:44 | More by BeerManDan
DaveFL1976

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%

Don't you hate it when you have to start your review with, "I hope I got a bad bottle"?

I was going to not review the beer, but then I decided that it wouldn't be fair to the other breweries for me to not review it.

I was really excited to open this unique bottle, but it opened with a nonexciting 'pfft.'

I poured it into a widemouth glass. It poured like iced tea. No carbonation whatsoever. Completely different than the other reviews.

The smell is fantastic, sweet, yummy alcohol, caramel, toffee and all that stuff. The taste is great, too. But no bubbles at all. My toungue is not happy.

Again, I hope I got a bad bottle. Luckily the taste is good enough to warrant drinking the whole thing!

06-03-2006 08:56:24 | More by DaveFL1976
sinistermadman

Oregon

3.18/5  rDev -18%

No freshness date on bottle. Pours a dark, murky burgandy while yielding a negligible head. Actually I couldn't evince a head even with a vigorous pour. Almost resemles iced tea. Oh well. Aroma is of subtle fruit with some interesting organic notes which i can't make out.

This brew has a very slick and wet presence on the palate. Almost zero carbonation. Very subdued taste notes with toasty nutty nuances. All I can say is wtf. I was expecting more. I think I may have gotten a bad one, but for the price I paid I don't think this one will be getting a second shot. Others are reporting foamy heads and I got nothing.

05-13-2006 00:32:51 | More by sinistermadman
DarkerTheBetter

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer pours a mysterious gloomy red grape with a grayish yellow head that left some spots of lace.

Smells of dry ashy chocolate with wisps of dark fruits and faint hints of alcohol.

The taste starts an oaky dry and then picks up a faint smoky molasses and then returns to the oak, taking on a dry doughy yeast and a slight aromatic cedar.

The mouth feel is light, dry and very clean with a sparse tiny carbonation.

This beer is so faint, I think that it would be best saved to be paired with a meal so that the flavors of the meal could take prominence over this brew’s mild and timid nature.

05-06-2006 02:47:26 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Jredner

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

Ruby colored with a nice frothy tan head. Dried fruit and malt sweetness as well as alcohol in the aroma. Flavor profile included dried cherries and prunes, malt and too little spice to provide any oomph to the melange of sweet malt and fruit. Decent, but not something I’d look for again.

03-06-2006 19:39:22 | More by Jredner
Billolick

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Large glass bottle (differant then whats shown above), caged and corked. Opened with a lot of energy, the cork went flying! Pours the typical Dubbel dark brown, clear with a noisy tan head, with medium sized bubbles and moderate retention. lacing was blotchy but generally unimpressive. Nose of vanilla, cola, toffee. This is a pretty drinkable dubbel, perhaps its on the lighter side of the spectrum for the style. More cola, caramel and sweet candi sugars. Smooth finish, adds up to a tasty and drinkable sipper. Worth a try if you like the style.

03-06-2006 02:14:01 | More by Billolick
SkeeterHawk

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Pours with a whole bunch of carbonation (contrary to the Grand Reserve that I tried from this same brewery). There are so many bubbles rising that it is going to be a while before I am going to know if it is clear or not. There is an inch head of pillowy tan foam that is being held up by a whole bunch of bubbles rising. Over 5 minutes later, the beer still has a huge head that is well over a half-inch high. There is quite a bit of lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: There is a sweet grainy aroma that is the biggest player behind the foam. There is a bit of roast apparent as well as a bit of a dry note that smells like it may be the beginnings of the onset of oxidation. There is a rich dark toffee like aroma in there as you get deep into it, and the beer warms a touch.

Taste: Rich caramel sweetness hits your palate at first, but then the carbonation starts to do its thing. The graininess is apparent, but the beer is pretty well attenuated and slightly dry along with the carbonation and roast...so it ends up being pretty dry on the palate in the long run. The alcohol is minimal, and is barely noticeable. The beer is still balanced toward the sweet even though it is so dry. There is a bit of a residual molasses-like syrup left on the back of the throat that comes out as the carbonation settles, and as the beer warms a bit. I got into a phone conversation that lasted longer than I expected, so I am coming back to this beer pretty warm. It really benefits from warming up a bit and breathing. The body is not quite as light as I initially thought. The beer gets a bit more spicy as you drink it warmer.

Opinion: I am really enjoying this beer. I like how the flavor profile has changed as it warms, and it is turning out very refreshing and flavorful. There may be a hint of oxidation here, but it only adds complexity as the flavors come out of the warmer beer. I would definitely drink this one again.

03-03-2006 00:36:49 | More by SkeeterHawk
Pegasus

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: Deep reddish-amber with a modest tan head, excellent thick broken lace, slight carbonation.

Aroma: Dark fruit aroma with clove notes, and a slight earthiness, toasted malt, and nuts.

Taste: Opens with a spicy clove note, soon afterward dark fruit notes, and a solid, slightly toasty dark malt backbone asset themselves. Toward the close of the taste a subtle hop bitterness appears. Finishes dry with a slight, lingering, earthy, spice note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft and very full.

Drinkability/notes: Very pleasing, in all. I have been told by my local distributor's delivery person that the Sterkens beers in crocks are often flat. This example was most certainly not flat, the carbonation levels were appropriate. In all, a pleasing example, and the crock is an elegent souvenir.

Presentation: Packaged in a sixteen-ounce earthenware crock, served in a Belgian chalice.

02-26-2006 19:34:19 | More by Pegasus
brentk56

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Pours an ice tea brown relatively clear body with a nice light tan head that leaves plenty of lacing

Smell: Caramel and rum-soaked raisins, some balsa wood and a touch of tobacco

Taste: Starts out with a slightly sweet, woody caramel flavor with a nice touch of bitterness blending in; nice dry finish

Mouthfeel: A bit light for a dubbel but with a fair amount of carbonation

Drinkability: Unlike some of the more famous dubbels, this is not as complex nor is it as sweet; nevertheless, it has its merits and is worth seeking out

12-02-2005 02:16:38 | More by brentk56
St. Sebastiaan Dark from Brouwerij Sterkens N.V.