St. Sebastiaan Dark - Brouwerij Sterkens N.V.

St. Sebastiaan DarkSt. Sebastiaan Dark

Brouwerij Sterkens N.V. visit their website

Dubbel |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-30-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Sebastiaan Dark Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Cloudy walnut colored beer with minimal carbonation. Rocky cream head has amazing retention and leaves a heavy lace.

S: There's a lot going on here. Cinnamon, clove and coriander hit me first. Oranges, lemons and apples come in from behind. Heavy spices dominate the fruit aromas.

T: Very complex. Definitely a beer to savor, as each sip reveals a new flavor. The coriander, clove and cinnamon aromas combine in the mouth to create a spicy bitterness. Sweetness comes in the form of cherry, apple and orange flavors. Yeast adds a biscuit quality. Finishes very dry and tart.

M: Medium body feels sticky. Carbonation is a touch low and leaves the beer with a slight watery character.

D: This was on sale and I couldn't pass up the super cool stone bottle. I'm very glad I grabbed this. Perhaps too pricey to buy more than once a year, but well worth the investment.

Provided by Holybrew.
Poured into a not-so-pint glass. Nice color to it, but looks a bit oily. Brown and amber fight for dominance, and the head is fairly weak with little retention.
Weak smell as well. Nothing bad, but not very strong. Some sweets to it, caramel and bready yeast. Slight spice incorporated as well.
Taste is also weak. Not bad. Soft fruits come out like prune and raisin, a little bit of caramel. Alcohol is noticeable.
Oil feel to it. Slick. Caramel aftertaste. Little punch or bite to it. Seems very flat, too.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

A dark beer that has a slightly sweet flavor to it. Notes of dark fruit and prunes in the nose. No hop flavor at all, and not much of a flavor overall really. Absolutely no carbonation at all when poured, looked like brown water. Not a good beer flat but would like to try again if carbonated properly, if that is how it is supposed to be. As is would not reccomend especially at around $9 a bottle.

2.38/5  rDev -38.7%

A dark and syrupy beer. Slightly sweet, not particularly hoppy or flavorful. ZERO CARBONATION upon pouring into the goblet. As in NO bubbles. I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but if it is, I'd be hesitant to try it again. It's not good flat, but I see that it could potentially be good with the proper carbonation. I might try it again, and update my review....

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

I poured a 16 ounce bottle into a tupip glass. This pours a beutiful dark color with hints of red. A big fluffy head forms, then fades quickly leaving little streaks of lace. When I held it up to a light there are lettle yeasty floaters. The nose is of a sweet brown sugary alchohol. The first sip is sweet and the finish is of a lingering complew alchohol. The beer is medium bodied with light carbonation. The beer is an enjoyable sipper. A damn fine beer.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

A - Dark brown with some bubbles but no real head

S - Dark fruit with lots of raisin. Fairly sweet

T - Chocolate with a little bit of spice. A little cola and smoked flavor can be found as well.

M - Medium body with no carbonation. Very smooth and creamy

D - Not to bad but I wouldn't bother picking up another bottle unless I was sure it was actually carbonated.

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Best By Date February 2011; Sampled August 2008
Nutty, almost oxidized aromas greet my nose as I pour this into my 25cl tulip glass. The beer pours with an easily, three-finger thick, light tan colored head that sticks well to the sides of my glass. The beer is a dark, deep, concentrated red color (not black at all, but quite dark) that shows a brilliantly clear, ruby hue when held up to the light. Pronounced fruity notes of raisins and prunes add substantially to the aroma and are quite intertwined with the aforementioned nutty note. Those are the major aromatic notes, but if you really dig around there is also a musty, almost mold, malt note towards the finish.

Quite sweet tasting and with the pronounced fruity esters this actually gets a bit cloying towards the finish despite not being overly thick. Actually somewhat light bodied (especially given the sweetness), though it is a bit viscous and certainly has some heft to it that has it sticking to the palate. Fruit flavors of prune soda, concentrated raisins and a touch of fig combine with a light, toasted nut note (hazel nut perhaps?) and even a touch of Sherry. Speaking of soda, this definitely has a cola / Dr. Pepper sort of note to it, especially in the finish where the beer gets a bt cloying.

Much to sweet and cloying, which makes this brew one-dimensional in both flavor and aroma. This has a surprisingly long best by date and it makes me wonder if some heavy oxidation might dry this beer out and actually help the flavor. Unfortunately this beer is not worth that experiment, when I have way too much other beer in the stash, but someone should try it.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours dark brown, somewhat hazy, with light tan head that retains well.

Nose has raisins, pipe tobacco, and steel/metallic elements.

Palate has an off-caramel taste, mineral-y flavors, good carbonation, smooth body, and raisins on the finish.

There's also a musty cave flavor that is hard to describe. Very pleasing.

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to the Silvers for the brew.

Pours a dark reddish brown. Basically, no head. Just a thin white film and a bit of bubbling on the edges. Interesting.

Smells of rum soaked, dark fruits and a bit of chocolate. I had to go double check what beer type this is, as I was for some reason expecting a Belgian Dark, and this clearly was not that.

Very pleasant tasting. Not overwhelmingly quaffable/drinkable, but a good dark fruit background, some chocolate, and a bit of roasted maltiness.

A solid beer, if a bit thin on the mouthfeel.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

500 mL bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with reddish hints. Off-white head is a thin film, but with thicker and more constant bubbles at the edges.

Smell: Rich coffee-caramel-chocolate-alcohol aroma. Nice sugarly roasted malts.

Taste: Has a sweeter aroma of creamed coffee, roasted malts, and a bit of cholcolate and caramel. Slight bit of dark fruits in the finish, and a light bittersweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A bit ligher-bodied than I would expect, or a bit watery/thin. Still nicely smooth with a mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Good amount of alcohol and the taste is not overpowering. Easy to drink.

An enjoyable Dubbel, but not quite as exciting as I was hoping for. Still, I recall the price being pretty good and would recommend it for fans of Belgian beers.

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Amazing.

When I first opened the ceramic bottle there was alot of froth, and when I poured it the head was small and mostly nonexistent. Color was a dark brown.

Smell is sweet, smells like Dubbel. Sort of smells like warm brown sugar.

Taste is sweet, a bit fruity, again with the hints of sugar and carmel, good flavor.

Mouthfeel is better than I expected, very smooth, light, and no lingering aftertaste.

Drinkability here is a high for me. If it wasn't 10 dollars a bottle here I'd say I might try it as a session beer but then again I feel that it's too rich to do it well.

Bottom line : Buy a few.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

A: This pours a dark brown/reddish color. A two finger head forms. As the head recedes, some light lace is left behind.
S: Toasted malt, some yeast, and a little funky/musky. There is a bit of a bread/biscuit aroma as well.
T: Lots of malt. Caramel flavors and a hint of chocolate. Bready earthy yeast with some brown sugar. There are several layers of flavor that are just right with the style.
M/D: Over carbonated and crisp for the style I think. I am looking for something more rich and creamy. Goes down smooth and easy. A good sipping beer.

A nice Belgium Dubble. One I would drink again and recommend.

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a nice dark brownish red. About two fingers of head with some lacing. A good looking beer overall.

The aroma is surprisingly medicinal and herbal. Dark belgian candy sugar is pretty evident as well. Beneath these three main components lies a strong and sweet malty backbone that is perfectly and subtly balanced with some low alpha acid hop. Almost a hint of licorice... but I think it's mostly the medicinal notes creating a similar smell.

The taste and mouthfeel far exceeded my expectations. It's rich and malty with a medium body. Perfectly balanced to be a little bit on the sweet side. just a little bit. Suggestions of raisins- chocolate covered ones. Raisinettes you might say. This is so smooth and enjoyable.

This style is always hit or miss with me. This is a great example of the style. Probably my favorite to date. If I remember correctly, this can be had for a very decent price too, especially considering the cool ceramic, swing-top bottle it comes in.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

This beer was poured from a 16 ounce ceramic bottle at 48º. There was no head to speak of and the pour appeared to be quite limpid. The beer was dark brown and several larger bubbles appeared at the top instead of a head.

The aroma had a briny somewhat syrupy smell but I would not say it was offending.

There was kind of a light coffee, caramel taste that needed to warm up a little more to give it some body. I will take my time to see if it improves.

This was not producing the anticipated flavors and aromas I was hoping for hence the time spent in the mouth was short lived also. It is still growing on me.

Although a little disappointed with this beer I was not completely dissatisfied. It is getting better as it warms and requires sipping at slower intervals. Enjoy slowly and limit your intake.

Pour: Dark. Darker than I expected.

Smell: Mild sweetness, and surprisingly, some roasted malts.

Taste: Lots going on here. Dark fruit sweetness, maybe some nut flavor in there too. Roasted malts. Tastes kind of like a sweet stout.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is good stuff. I was surprised by the roasted malt flavors I was detecting. If I had to recommend a Dubbel, I'd recommend it to a friend.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

I recieved this beer from Cape Fear Wine and Beer. I was drawn to the dark ceramic bottle with the picture of the monk on the front. My barkeep popped it and poured into tulip glass for me, as I prepared to drink I was taken aback by the amazing head that erupted from the glass. The next aspect of the beer i took notice to was the beautiful raven color of my glass. The lacing of this beer was as if someone had draped a doilie across my glass in the pour. Now to the smell a massive roasted malt caramel breath drew my face into the glass to embibe. The color of this beer being somewhat deceptive it is amazingly drinkable. I am tempted to chug, but restrain myself and sip this nectar away.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Had date code of 28/5/11 wouldn't reccomend holding it that long. I had one crock or whatever you call faux ceramic bottled explode in my car, hairline crack in the bottle? At least they (Powers Liqour Mart) let me get a another in exchange

Poured mahogany (orangey red when held to an intense light) with 1.5 fingers of tan headGood head retention & average lacing

S: Plummy & chocolate scents

T: Some choclatey, fruity & herbal hop notes up front. Slight hints of oakyness, iron & raisins as this warms. Finishes bready & fruitty

MF: Medium bodied with some stickyness & low carbonation

Drinks easy, a nice clean tasting, unassuming Dubbel

2.4/5  rDev -38.1%

a: dark brown, thick and appears chocoately, decent head, lots of lacing. looks good.
s: toasted malts dominate with some caramel
t: strong malts with hints of caramel, but a full flavor never materializes here
m: medium carbonation, surprisingly light to medium body, this was just a lot thinner than expected for a belgian even if a dubbel
d: a disappointment. looks like more money went into the presentation (ceramic bottle) than the beer. too bad.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

500 cl ceramic bottle. Dark brown colour aond no head at all. At first I thought it was going to be bad from travel, but no. Delicious aroma of pears, peaches, dark fruits and chocolate. How can this be made according to the German purity law? Sweet silky flavor, but a lighter body than expected. Taste of fruits, again peaches, port wine, spices, and chocolate. It's great, the only weakness is the shy body.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer poured a very dark brown with a thick persistent head. It exhibited excellent lacing when I swirled the glass. The aroma is mostly sour with some malt undertones. The taste is quite malty with some hints of sourness and perhaps chocolate. The mouthfeel is full but shy of chewy. This is an interesting and complex brew that works well.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Recieved this fantastic looking beer from my malt supplier as a Christmas present, thanks Dave! I came in a wooden box with a tulip glass, looked nice, again Teaser said I had enough beer glasses. The funny thing about the packaging is that it says this beer - a Belgian Dubbel - is brewed according to the German purity law... That's a tad odd, for a Belgian beer. Don't Belgian brewers use sugars and candy to get awesome flavours and rich aromatics and colour?

Poured into it's own tulip glass this Belgian dubbel showed a dark brown with amber hues and a thick off white head that dissipated quickly. It left saopy bubbles and a small amount of lace.

Aroma of biscuits, maltyness and a slight yeastyness. Little to no hops, a touch of chocolate, caramel and that richness you get from dark fruits and toffee. Sadly no phenolics, no spiceyness.

Tasted nice, if a bit bland for a Dubbel. Rich and malty, a slight bitterness and a hint of chocolate, but nothing like other Dubbels I've had. A bit of a shame too, nice packaging. Maybe the German influence is to blame.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

I decided to pour this into a goblet to open it up. Once poured the head disapated almost intently, leaving a small 1/8 inch layer of beautiful head. The beer is a dark rubyish color, or as I call it, mahogany. The aroma from the glass is of toffee and caramel. The flavor of this Dubbel is strong at first, and then it mellows into its greatness. There is a very light amount of lacing with this beer as well. This Dubble is really nice especially when comparing it to several others that I have tried. After a few sips, my mouth feels clean, as if I had just drank water...this is not a bad thing, as the flavor of the beer is still lingering.

I recommend this to anyone looking to step out of the norm...this is a good way to get a Newkie Brown drinker to try new things!!!

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured a dark brown/ brick color , with a tan , creamy head that left a sticky lace. The aroma is earthy , some spice , tinge of dark fruit , bit of metallic aroma. The taste is fairly complex , with a lively carbonation. Chewy , sweet , caramel maltiness at first , then some dark fruit , tinge of steely crystal malt , some earthy spice , and maybe a small bit of bitter hops to balance. The mouthfeel is a bit chewy and creamy from the carbonation. Definatly a drinkable dubbel. Imo, this one is on the earthier side.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Nice 500 ml ceramic bottle.

It pours a cloudy dark brown color with nice foamy head, excellent lace; Smell is of roasted malt, coffee and alcohol; Taste is of malt and some spice; Mouthfeel is dry, good amount of carbonation, Medium body; Very drinkable.

Belgian Dubbel Recommended.

When poured it was very dark brown in color with a fair amount of medium tan foam and a fair amout of lace on the side of the glass.
The taste of toasty toffee with a caramel nose with layers of soft malts and hops. A big beer without being overly heavy. Extremely well-balanced.

St. Sebastiaan Dark from Brouwerij Sterkens N.V.