Pine-Apple Sour - Al's of Hampden / Pizza Boy Brewing

to view more.
Ratings: 38 | Reviews: 7
Reviews by wattoclone:
3.96/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to robieobie1 for the growler, it's nice to have a steady Pizza Boy hook-up. The Pine-apple Sour looks like pirate's gold that's been locked away in a chest for thousands of years; some darker shades of orange crown the edges; murky, but still translucent. Aggressive pours yield little head, a faint dusting that wastes no time vanishing into thin air.

Sour Patch kid caliber sour lactic acid notes out of the gate. I bring my face to the glass and the lashing of sourness buries any other immediate smells. Successive, deep inhales hold some more expansive aromas - pineapple fruit, lemon juice, and a dump-truck full of vinegar. The more my mind concentrates on vinegar, the more that's all I smell. It's like shoving your face into a bag of Lay's Salt & Vinegar chips, only with insane acidity.

I keep hearing that this is one of the most sour beers of all time. Naturally, with a claim like that, I'm a bit skeptical at first, especially given the relatively low sample size. The aroma is definitely sour and butt-puckeringly tart, but I've smelled things that involuntarily crinkled my face up a little more than this one.

First sip... canned pineapple juice straight to the dome, only with eminently more tartness. My saliva glands are making it rain as the pineapple and vinegar acidity runs down my throat and starts eating away at my stomach lining. Let's get this out of the way right now: this thing is tart. It's goddamn sour. But it's far from the most sour thing I've had, and I am absolutely okay with that.

Lots of lacto sour notes, more pineapple juice, lemon tartness, and an acidic finish with a faint hint of some cotton-y funk that I can't quite put my finger on, though I know something's there. It's not as bone-dry as you might expect a beer this sour to be, but my oral mucosa is definitely calling out for some hydration. Thin-medium bodied, lots of snappy carbonation.

Strange brew, really. I like how heavy the pineapple came through. Lots of brewers will have a lactic acidity that often gets wrongly attributed to "pineapple-like flavors", but no - this beer tasted like the pineapple slices you toss on your mom's overcooked ham slabs during the family Easter get together. I'd like to see if successive batches turn out a bit more refined, but this was pretty enjoyable for all relevant parties.

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to nasty for sharing.

S - Tart, lemon, vinegar and lactic acid

T - Tart, lemon, lactic acid, and pineapple juice. Light funk and balsamic vinegar on the backend.

M - Tart and really dry.

O - Good and really tart sour with an interesting twist with the nice pineapple presence to it

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

32 oz. growler poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep murky orange. Medium white head. Settles to a small collar with no other surface foam.

Smell - Pineapple. Lots of acidity. Kinda monotonous but it does smell like a juicy pineapple.

Taste - And it's immensely sour. A variety of acids. Lactic primarily. Plenty of other sour flavors going on though. Pineapple. I really can't taste anything else.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Overly sour.

Overall - Well I can't taste anything beyond the sourness. I know some people will love this, but I just think it's too much.

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap at Al's of Hampden.

A - Pours murky golden orange with a fizzy one finger tall white head, dissipating down to a very light film around the outer edges, leaving little to no lace down the glass. A little dull honestly.

S - Smells of straight vinegar sourness, mild to light barnyard funk, dulled pineapple pulp, damp earth and a bit of greek yogurt. Smells super sour from start to finish. Only a bit of fruit is detectable initially, gets a little better as it warms up but it is mostly just sour funk.

T - Starts off with a big vinegar sour kick that never really fades away. Hints of light barnyard funk, more vinegar, musty basement and some dulled pineapple fruitiness. Finish is still pretty sour, leaving the palate dried long after the finish. The sourness is intense but not as completely overpowering as the nose makes it seem.

M - Medium body with moderate to low carbonation. Super sour feel from start to finish. While it is very sour it doesn't completely destroy your palate like some of the other over the top sours do sometimes.

O - I have had this beer a few times now and it is all over the place. First time it was ok, most of the others have been pretty bad. It is really sour yet not to the point of being undrinkable. It could use a little more fruit but pineapple is already on the lighter side so I am not sure how much more it has to give. Is it a world class sour as these guys are making it seem? Nope. Is it worth a shot if you like sour beers? Yep.

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is listed as "EXTREMELY SOUR" and classified as a "SUPER Sour Ale".
As a preface, this was the 2nd most "Sour" beer I've ever had behind Santa Fe Wild Ale 6 and a tad in front of Trinity's Old Growth. This beer is not for the newbie or someone who is introducing themselves to the world of Sour beers.

To put it bluntly, this beer will shrivel your balls and pucker your asshole!

I'm not a big fan of reviewing beers. More the guy who either drinks a beer and likes it - drinks more or doesn't like it - doesn't drink more. However for the sake of adding this beer I'm giving you my 2-cents worth of opinion.

Served into a pint glass (however it seems the standard pour will be into a snifter)

A - Burnt orange/copper. Thin head & minimal lacing.
S - Vinegar. Slight pineapple & fruit salad.
T - Vinegar. The pineapple is very hidden. As the beer warmed, the "fruit" started to shine. Still not a pineapple taste though. More of the syrup from a cup of fruit cocktail.
M - The acidity & tartness puckers your lips & mouth.
O - This is listed as an "Extreme Sour" for a reason. It's intense, acidic, tart, and flat out ballsy. My guess is this will be a "love it or hate it" beer. I'm in the LOVE category.

3.41/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

The board said this was a "super-sour." This was no joke. Holy mother of wild yeast, I have never had a beer so sour in all my life. Frankly, I don't think it's possible to get more sour than this . This is like the liquid version of one of those lemon Sourhead candies. Really, I love sours, but this thing is out of control. There's no grace about it. Just an out of control punch in the mouth.

3.69/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A buddy brought me back a growler of this beer recently. $24 for a 64oz fill, $8 for the glassware.

Appearance: Pours a semi-dull goldfish orange with a slightly brown tinge. Crown is 2 fingers, pineapple stained white, billowy, shows moderate retention and no lace.

Smell: Perhaps its the mental association playing tricks on me, but this pineapple sour smells more like a vinegar (acetobacter) soaked HAM to me than pineapple. WTF. As I let it warm, that quality seemed to go away a tiny bit and the pineapple essence became more noticeable.

Taste: Same as the nose but the vinegar quality is stronger, masking the ham quality a bit, the pineapple comes through more, a touch of lemon (brett?) is present, and the finish is a bit off putting. I would not call this super sour either. It is quite sour but not super sour. As the beer warmed up more I found the pineapple to be quite prominent in the flavor profile. That ham like quality disappeared, the nasty finish did as well, and the brett like lemon note more closely resembled acidic pineapple juice!

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is moderate and body is medium.

Overall: I'll be lucky if I can force myself to drink half of this growler since it's a sour. I wouldn't seek this one out again, but I'm still confident that it is possible to brew an awesome pineapple sour. I hope Terry tries again and nails it next time.

to view more.