Hippie I.P.A. - Buckeye Brewing Company

Ohio, United States

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 08-04-2002

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 650 mL bomber purchased at Vintage Estate.

A: The IPA is a bright orange-amber hued ale, especially loud at the narrower base of my tumbler. A general haziness pervades the entire beer. A two+ finger head, white with a few brown shades thrown in, laces around the upper third of my glass.

S: Full, spicy hops are strong here, throwing a great deal of citrus and pepper at me. An equally strong malt base emerges, lending more strength to the ale.

T: A very firm caramel and butter rum malt flavor is the driving force behind the first few sips of the ale. Citrusy hops are forward, present throughout most of the ale's life. Vegetal bitterness follows the citrus, dulling things out significantly. The malts settle down the more I dig into the ale, allowing the hops to be the stand-out. The only problem is that the bitterness isn't memorable.

M: The maltiness in the start of the ale was interesting before it yielded to the hops. The bitterness could use a little more focus.

D: The hoppiness is a bit of a detractor but luckily the alcohol is restrained. I wouldn't turn another one down.

This poured a slightly hazy copper with some off-white head. It smelled like orange and copper hops with light caramel malt. It tasted like sweet oranges with bitter grapefruit and copper, and some honey and caramel malts. It was fairly thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this had a nice clean smell and taste, which was fairly basic but quite enjoyable. It had a good full body too, and was easy to drink. Nothing too exciting, but this was above average for an IPA.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Deep amber color. No sediment or haze. Very little head.

S: Minor citrus scent. Significant sweetness to the scent given that it's not an imperial IPA. Hopefully it tastes as balanced as it smells.

T: Pretty good malt flavor at the front of the taste, quickly followed by a mid-mouth hoppy bitterness. Some piney notes in the aftertaste and maybe some grapefruit zest as well. Not a lot of other complexity to it, but the flavors that are there aren't bad. Grapefruit comes out more in the flavor as it warmed.

M: Feels a lot bigger than it is. Very smooth texture, not a lot of big bubbles or overcarbonation. Again, reminds me more of a nicely done DIPA than an average IPA.

D: Pretty good. Moderate ABV, good flavors and balance. If this was available locally, I'd consider this for my session / daily drinker.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

This is a very popular IPA in my area!

Pours pretty simalar to most IPA's. Nice golden color. Pretty good aroma but not to off the wall, pretty average for the style which isn't a bad thing. Taste is instant pungent bitter then a nice calming malt backbone that helps subdue the hops a bit. Nothing to crazy going on here which I appreciate. Just a straight forword good IPA with a nice hoppy lingering finish. I drink this often!

3.91/5  rDev +6.8%

Bottle received as part of the Little Guy BIF, thanks nlmartin!

Pours a copper red, topped with a two finger eggshell off white fluff of a head. Sinks to streaks and a ring.

Smell is of grassy older citrus, some dry field, plant esters, hop oil.

Taste is metallic bitter, hard water, again dried citrus peels, nice hopping with this one.

Feel is good, plenty of body but not syrupy, it stays refreshing with the good carbonation that keeps it moving on the tongue. I would certainly buy this again if I could, which I can't.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to moejuck. Pours a deep orange/brown with a small, thick white head. Aroma of sweet caramel malt and some bitter piney hops. Flavor is quite bitter with lots of sour grapefruit notes. Lots of caramel malt too. I think this might be old but can't say for sure. Still nice and drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

A- Pours a murky orange color with a decent sized foam head that leaves some lacing.

S- Lots of citrus grapefruit scents in the nose with pine hops and a very detectable malt sweetness.

T- Initial hop bitterness with a pine/grapefruit taste. Some floral and ester notes as well. A biscuity malt caramel flavor eases the bitterness down a notch for a well balanced finish. A slightly metallic (almost blood-like) aftertaste lingers. A little weird, but not bad.

M- Medium body with ok carbonation. Well balanced, and a bit syrupy.

D- Overall, a decent IPA that doesn't quite compete with the best. Still, it is a local IPA to be fond of.

3.77/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to kiefdog for this one.

A: Pours golden hue with a light fizzy head. Okay retention with some spotty lace.

S: Sweet caramel malt, citrus, with just a touch of pine.

T: Floral hops dominate with some nice sweet malt lending support.

M: Medium in body, smooth, with ample carbonation.

D: Not too bad. Nice sessionable IPA.

2.97/5  rDev -18.9%

Im not big on IPAs but Im big on supporting smaller breweries from my area, so I grabbed this along with a few other Ohio brews.

A- The appearance is the best part of this beer. There's a huge rumbling head that forms like a thunder cloud out of large bubbles. It fades but only slightly. The head clings to the glass as if its trying to climb out.
It sits atop a beautifully solid opaque caramel orange body of beer with pumpkin colored edges. LOTS of suspended yeast. It looks sexy and pissed at the same time.

S- Not too much going on in the nose for me. Piney and oily hops and fruitiness of apples.

M- Thinner mouthfeel than what I expected based on the rich, cloudy appearance. I think the prickliness of the carbonation thins out the MF a little too much. Yet it is still fuller than most IPAs Ive had.

T- More balanced than most other IPAs Ive had, especially as it warms. The buttery malts come out up front but as I swallow the hops win out. The hoppiness is really oily and it sticks to the back of my mouth and under my tongue for a while. It leaves a medicinal, oily taste. Kinda yuck.

Other than the medicinal after taste its a decent IPA, more balanced than I expected, especially as it warms.

D- Faint alcohol hit and lingering hops residue rank it lower on the drinkability for me.

In all the appearance of this one is something to behold.

2.91/5  rDev -20.5%

A nice beer that suits the style pretty well but has some flaws. The base pale malts hold onto a lot of residual sweetness and keeps the beer from drying out th eway I like. This makes the beer a little sweet and a tad syrupy. The caramel sweetness, though a bit much, is a nice backdrop for the pine and orange zest hoppiness. Backup notes of peaches, pears, apples, pineapples, and appricots comliment the hops with a nice estery touch. But on the phenol front, the beer delivers a plastic and medicinal note that becomes very strong as the beer warms, making the taste difficult to overlook. Too bad because the look of the beer is solid. Bright rust and orange colors hold a significant dry-hopped haze with great lacing.
Not a bomb of the beer but better control of the yeast on the phenolic front and better attenuation will do this beer wonders.

2.78/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a murky apricot nectar color with a huge and rocky head that just won't fade; even with a careful pour, it was hard to keep the head down; nice lacing, I have to admit

Smell: Lemony and piney aroma, with very little malt elements present

Taste: After just a second, the bitter flavors jump out and become very piney, or should I say Pine Soly by mid-palate; after the swallow, the flavors are just bitter for bitterness sake and don't have the kind of flavor characteristics that I seek in an IPA

Mouthfeel: Medium body and prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Really tough to put this one down the gullet; way too unbalanced

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

The maniacal warpig drgonzo3705 sent me a box of goodies - have you met this guy? This bomber jumped out at me. Drank from a pint glass on 6/17. Puffy 1/2" khaki head, loses steam almost immediately. One of the darkest IPA's I've ever seen. Ruby, deeep honey, slightly hazed. balls out.

Thick soupy burley hairy hippie of a beer. A bearded hippy who's been hangin out in the fields. Smells intensely of mango and bud, with a hit of cotton candy thrown down for good measure. Beyond that it grows bready, a fresh smell like a warm rye loaf was just pulled from the breadmaker. A few sips bring me back to the floor at Moylan's, sippin some Hopsickle - some booming notes of hops spread on the tongue. Other sips leave me just dizzy with nectary, malty sweetness. Boozy and hot and flailing all over. This hippie is no peacenik - I've got a raging barleywinish beast here. Heavy malt body laced with some dank, crystalized earthy hop. through and through. In the back of the swallow I get the distinct feeling that I am chewing on a handful of wild grass & flowers. Sticky on my throat with hop resin. An adventure.

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%

poured into a glass mug from a 22 oz. bomber.

A - Dark amber, slightly hazy, with a nice white head, held well, left a good collar of foam.

S - Lots of fresh floral and pine hop notes, with an interesting woody backing. Light on the malt and sweetness.

T - It's got some malt and citrus, but the flavors are just overwhelmed by the bitterness of this brew. It hits like a bitter bomb and doesn't let up.

M - Very dry on the finish due to the bitterness, but the body is nicely weighted and the fizz is good.

D - If they toned down the bitterness, it'd be a lot more drinkable. Nonetheless, I finished the half of the bomber that I had, sharing the rest with a friend.

overall - This was another trade extra from Kirok 1999, and I'm grateful for the chance to try this one. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but it was definitely drinkable. It's actually pretty funny how I'm liking the DIPA's more than regular IPA's.

3.34/5  rDev -8.7%

A: Nice amber color, probably a little dark for an IPA. Little bit of haze, but really a nice color. Decent head that fades quickly.

S: Mostly Caramel and a small amount of grassy hops. Doesn't really scream IPA.

T: Nicely carbonated, strong caramel flavor at first, with come nice bittering in the back end. Think Stone Brewery bitterness and middle hop flavor

M: I really like the mouth feel. Thick and tingly.

D: It's not a small beer, and it sticks around in the back of your throat. I wouldn't want more than one of these.

All in all, I don't get much IPA from this, but I really enjoy the beer. It's almost more of a small barley wine with the color and all the caramel. It might be an old bottle, which could have mellowed the hops. It is really reminiscent of Arrogant Bastard for me.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

This bomber was brought back by a friend who visited the buckeye state. Probably picked it out based on the name alone.

Poured into my new DFH snifter, it appears way darker than expected for an IPA. Deep amber with rosy highlights...thin head that fades into a faint cloud of fine bubbles. Aroma consists of caramel, grassy hops, and alcohol. Same in the seemingly English flavor, with a pronounced bitter finish. Medium body with an oily mouthfeel. Drinkability is not super great for me as I wouldn't be compelled to open another. I probably would recommend most other IPA's on the shelf over this one as I got a little too much alcohol and not enough flavor to justify it.

2.91/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A - Dark rusty color, almost a brownish. A cream-colored head with some lacing left behind after the pour.

S - I get a lot of malt from the nose, not much citrus/hops. The nose is more of an APA or English IPA then an American IPA to me.

T - Not much hop & citrus-wise here. I get a lot of malt up front with a small hint of bitterness, not enough. Needs more citrus/hops, IMO.

M - I like the light-medium body this beer offers along with good carbonation. No real complaints here.

D - Overall, not my favorite example of an IPA.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks goes out to beveritt for this brew.

Pours a nice dark golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is hoppy, with some malts, citrus and pine notes. The taste is slightly sweet, bitter, hoppy, malty, nice touch of citrus and pines. Medium body, nice little chewiness to this brew, nice dry/bitter finish. Drinkable, a nice IPA, glad to have a chance to try it.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to DoctorDog for this one as an extra in a trade! I've never heard of this beer until seeing it in the box. I'm quite excited for it.
22oz Single

A: Fairly hazy deep amber, almost red/brown. Fairly aggressive pour yielded about half an inch of tan head that didn't stick around very long at all. Fair amount of carbonation floating around in the beer. A little bit of lacing, but nothing too spectacular. Not a bad looking beer though.

S: Roasty malts, a bit of caramel, and buried way deep in there is a bit of hops, not very aromatic, citrus and pine mostly, but they seem a little subdued. A few things going on in the nose, but I'd like to see a bit more in the hop department.

T: A lot more bitter than I would have expected, hop profile is a little more noticeable, slightly skunky (not in a bad way), pine stands out a little more. Big time roasted malt flavor, a little bit of honey even. This beer tastes like a bigger version of my current batch of homebrew. Slightly soapy hop character in the aftertaste. Nice balance all around though. Tasty, but a little more mellow than what I'm used to from an IPA.

M: Mouthfeel is spot on. Perfect carbonation, dryness, and thickness, excellent in that aspect. I honestly can't tell from the mouth or taste about the ABV here, but I'm thinking close to seven? A little booze warmth but nothing too substantial.

D: I could probably drink another one of these, probably a really good beer on tap as well. Has a lot of potential, but a little light in the hops in the nose, and that sort of hurts this beer. Otherwise, I'd say this a pretty fair IPA.

Thanks Ben!

2.99/5  rDev -18.3%

Thanks to kirok1999 for this one.

This beer seems to be a darker copper color that's a little lighter near the edges of my pint. The head is a tremendous frothy white film that left behind some very lovely strips of lace.

Smells a little flat with touch of white flour and baklava backed by a zesty sweet-tart and a spot of cedar.

The first thing I notice about the flavor is a hard-candy-like sweetness. It quickly matures into a touch of plumb and wheat bread but is then blown out of the water by an explosion of bittering hops that bring about scorched pine and burnt bread crusts. Have had a west coast ipa just prior, the use of hops in this one seems just wrong.

Feels a little sluggish with an over-active texture that thankfully dies down before it causes any trouble. The bitterness helps this feel a lot cleaner than it is.

Waaay to bitter for my liking, and I'm not saying it's too hoppy. It's just bitter for the sake of bitter. This one fails in the balance department for me.

Pours a really nice pillowy and creamy head. It sticky and full of life. Scents of cascade hops and grapefruit juice. Medium bodied taste with a nice dash of exploding hops on the back. Is an oft-copper coloured beer. Very easy to drink and has a classic microbrewed feel to it. An all around nice beer and local, too! BTW the abv is 6.8%.

4.01/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours murky raw cider, GIGANTIC head, reduces to clumpy head eventually. Egads, I heard reviews of low carb for this beer. This is not the case for me! At first, thought it might be infected. Got about 4 inches head. Clingy webby lacing.

S - Grainy, some hops. Nothing too noteworthy.

T - On the dry side of malt, bitter hops and small amount sweet malt predominate taste. Great for the style.

M - Medium body, tons of carb, fair balance for the style, good coating.

D - It doesn't mention the ABV, but this guy is big in flavor. It would tire for me.

2.36/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hippie IPA is brewed in the American IPA tradition and comes in at a pleasantly surprising 6.8% ABV. The 6.8% is rather well hidden in the beer and bomber serving of the Hippie IPA is certainly the way to go if you wish to sample this brew.

The offering pours a deep orange to almost amber color when poured from the bomber bottle into a traditional pint glass. There is a nice haziness to the pour but the beer has a noticeable lack of carbonation when poured. The lack of carbonation leads to a minimally faint tan head that quickly dissipates and Hippie IPA leaves virtually no lacing along the pint glass.

The smell of the Hippie IPA at least smells a bit better than your typical hippy. (Couldn't resist) In actuality, this pour has a very faint nose to it and though there is a bit of citrus noted and a distant hint of hops is certainly there. The smell is not quite as impressive as a truly dominant IPA should be.

The Hippie IPA is brewed with Northern and Cascade hops; rather traditional choices for an American IPA. However, this IPA seems to be lacking in terms of the abundant and robust hop flavor that should be present in an IPA. The hops really take a back seat in the taste and instead there is a strange, sweet malt flavor that seems a bit out of place in an IPA. The slight hop flavor that is present is noted for grapefruit and pine but the bready malt in the taste is clearly evident. The caramel malt complexity at times almost overpowers the hops that should shine through.

There is a very light mouthfeel to this IPA and the typical hoppy nature that gives most IPAs a pretty good bite is noticeably missing with the Hippie IPA. This beer is smooth and due to the limited carbonation simply glides across the palate without anything remarkable taking place. The beer sort of has a light beer consistency which is an unfortunate characteristic for this craft beer to maintain.

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

As much as I'd like to be, I really can't feel sympathetic for this beer. Mostly because it sucks..

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange, with a huge spritzy white head. Way too over carbonated, It nearly ran out of the bottle and overflowed.

In my nose, I catch scents of: Metal, slight apricot, slight peach scents, and some piney hops. Nothing to be excited about but nothing to complain of.

Once I pour this beer into my mouth, I catch on to tons of piney dry hops, a way too overcarbonated mouthfeel, some grainy textures, and a bread taste.

All in all this is an ok representation of the style, by no means is this a winner.

3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint glass.

A: Dark amber. Slight haze and still. Aggressive pour delivered a small head. Head dissipates to a dusting and bubbly ring. Some spotty lacing.

S: More bready malt than I would have expected. There is a nice grapefruit hop smell there but it doesn't jump out as much as I would like it to.

T: Malt up front. Hop finish. Aftertaste is a mix but has a nice dominant hop bitterness. The malt is bready but there is a sweetness there. It never really quite evolves into anything outstanding. The hop is pleasant but along with the grapefruit comes a floral taste that is a little too harsh for me.

M: Needs some carbonation. Feels a bit flat. The mouth is fairly clean but has a resin type consistency that makes the mouth feel a little fuller.

D: All in all it is not a bad beer. I think they were going for an IPA with big hop and malt facing off but the malt doesn't have enough character and the hop isn't quite doing it for me. I wouldn't go out of my way for this brew but happy to support Buckeye by trying it.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours clean, no floaters, which I expected based on other reviews, not to mention that this came yesterday courtesy of a trade (thanks again tburkhart!) Dark, for the style, and the whitish head drops away to nothing within a couple of minutes. Dark amber in color, and a lot of bubbles drifting upwards.

Floral hops, and caramel, bready malt scents are detected, slightly.

Floral in flavor too, but some other flavors from the hops, somewhat citrusy, grapefruit mainly, and a little pineapple. Very malty, whether an older bottle, or the way it's made, I don't know. I do know, however, that it's not bad. I love hop-bombs, but I also love malty IPA's. The sweet caramel flavor is strong here, but it never quite overpowers the hops. A sneaky bitterness, very soft up front, but kind of builds on my tongue. A tasty beer, seems like I could really session it, but without knowing the ABV who knows?

Full bodied, due to the strong malt profile, medium-low carbonation, which seems to work fine.

Overall, a bit more hops/less malt might benefit this beer, but as it stands, this is a drinkable IPA, and I'm just happy for the chance to try something that I might never had otherwise, if not for trading. Cheers!

Hippie I.P.A. from Buckeye Brewing Company