Hippie I.P.A. - Buckeye Brewing Company

Buckeye Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 08-04-2002

2.97/5  rDev -18.9%

22oz bomber poured into Delirium snifter. Reviewed blindly courtesy of Blind BIF 6.

Appearance: An extremely clear reddish-orange-amber liquid fills the snifter with about a finger of off-white head. Head does not have terribly long staying power, but the lacing is nice. No sediment on second pour to finish bomber - squeaky clean filtered. Very nicely done.

Smell: Pineapple and malt. Not sure if my nose isn't working right today, but this beer does not have a strong aroma.

Taste: Up front it tastes like a pale ale, but there is a strong lingering stickiness on my tongue, almost medicinal in quality. I get a good dose of alcohol from that, so it's stronger than a pale. The hops are mildly fruity and assertive, but more in an English style. Very dry, yet thirst quenching. Some pepper spiciness is in there, I think from the yeast. More malt comes out as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, moderately carbed, medium bodied. This beer does not want to leave my mouth - I can wait 2 minutes between sips and he is still dancing around - I might still be tasting him in the morning.

Drinkability: Moderate. It's strong enough that you wouldn't want to drink it all night, but it goes down easy.

Overall: I can't say I love this beer, but I definitely don't hate it either. Grab one and try it for yourself.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, secret santa 2011

appearance: label likely printed from an off-the-shelf label making program...beer looks nice in the ale asylum pint glass though - hazy orange straw body - big frothy white cap with foam retention

smell: sweet malt, tangerine, lemon rind, pineapple

taste: fairly easy drinking IPA - sweet bready malts, light citrusy hops, tangerine, pineapple, lightly floral with moderate bitterness. nice indigenous IPA for the cleveland locals.

mouthfeel: fairly light, middle of the road bitterness

overall: good enough for a hippie

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

A bomber I picked up at Rozi's in December. Looking forward to trying this and some other Cleveland region IPAs.

Appearance: Orange with a little brown in color. Pretty, but unremarkable.

Aroma: Not a huge aroma on this for me. Hoppy for sure, but there is a pretty substantial malt backbone.

Taste: Complex malt, both biscuity and caramelly. Hops are piney and floral, with a very grassy dry finish. I love the dryness of this beer. It works for me.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Finishes so dry, so it is hard to remember that this beer starts off much heavier on the palette. Easy to drink for the size.

Overall: I nice IPA that has some great charms. Not one of the best I've ever had, but a great rendition and an IPA that does OH proud.

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Bomber poured into a Tulip.

Huge offwhite craggy head. Body is slightly hazy, orangish red. Lots of lacing.

Citrus, almost like a sweet-tart.

Hop flavor is great. Citrus with that tartness up from, more piney on the finish with a long lasting bitterness. Flavor could be a little more complex, its there and gone despite the lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is fine, carbonation seems a little high.

Good IPA. Looking forward to trying more from Buckeye Brewing

Trying a Stinger (22oz) of Buckeye Hippi IPA. The beer pours a clear deep golden orange color with thin off-white head that laced. The smell is hoppy that included citrus and pine notes with a good malt balance. The taste is slightly sweet, bitter, hoppy, malty, nice touch of citrus and pines. The mouthfeel was a medium body with good carbonation. Overall I thought the beer was very good and could session this one.

3.09/5  rDev -15.6%

Hazy and on the darker side of orange. Head has huge soapy bubbles that vanish quickly. No lacing. A lot of earthy hops on the nose. Some fruity grapefruit as well. Some caramel and toffee malts. Flavor is those earthy hops upfront but it gives way to a decent mix of tropical fruits and caramel candy malts. Medium body that is slightly creamy. A big carbonation bite on the end but not really any hop bitterness. Nothing to spectacular here but not bad.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance is decent. Light yellow with a frothy white head. aroma is light... Some malty sweetness and grassy hops. The taste IS good with a copper hops a.d big bitterness on this one. This is a little too bitter for me to want more of it but it was a decent ipa.

3.51/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber courtesy of kirok1999 pours a clear, dark gold color with a nice cap of creamy off-white foam. Nice retention and lacing. A pretty damn spectacular looking beer actually.

Nose is sweet, candy-ish malts along with some vibrant citric and pine hops. Smells somewhat like some of the Citra homebrews I have made.

Taste is pretty clean and neutral with a strong, hop flavor and bitterness. Malts are light, biscuity with some of the same candy-like sweetness I noticed in the aroma. A little flabby on the body and something about this beer reminds me of homebrew, which is not always a bad thing, but here just something doesn’t jive quite right…the hops go from flavoring to bittering with no in-between ‘flow’ so to speak. Bitterness lingers awhile. The hops are there, the malt base seems decent, but something about this one makes it very hard for me to finish the bomber by myself.

2.61/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber into a shaped pint glass. Appears a very dark amber color, fairly clear. Has a sudsy off-white head that has some decent staying power and leaves some lacing.

The nose is not overly strong, and doesn't really give many good notes. Maybe some earthiness and slight pine. Get some notes of the malt, mostly caramel. The taste is almost just straight bitterness. There is very little caramel sweetness at the beginning, a hint of pine, and then it is straight bitterness (without really any flavors backing that up) and alcohol. The way this comes together and finishes is just slightly off-putting. Not really impressed here, honestly a little disappointed.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a below average carbonation level. Overall, a decent brew, but nothing I would search for, or probably even drink again. Was hoping for more here.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to a generous BA for this extra. From notes.

Poured a deep honey color, very clear, with pieces of sediment floating around and a short lived white head. A deep, earthy bitter aroma with touches of pine and grapefruit rind. Light honey, cereal, and somewhat bittersweet finish. A rather one dimensional beer that honestly, is kind of boring. But drinks decently. Eh, I'm glad I tried it, but it's just bland for an IPA.

3.41/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Pours a nice medium amber color with a generous amount of white foam on top. It has some orange qualities. Good looking IPA.

S - Smells like bitter hops with a sweet malt component. I can't say that the smell is good or bad, it's just peculiar. I don't think I like it that much, but it's certainly not awful.

T - Much like the smell, the bitter hops come out in force. There's an odd flavor in the middle/end of the sip that I can't place. The malts are there in the finish to end it out, so it's a pretty well balanced beer.

M - Average amount of average carbonation. Nothing exceptional, but it doesn't have quite the clean finish I like.

Overall, this is an average brew. There is something in the taste that weirds me out a little bit, but it's a good cheapish beer.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into my New Belgium glass on 2/23/11

Pours a light hazy orange with lots of foam, almost the whole glass, it slowly faded leaving lots of good lacing down the glass. For some reason everytime I pour this it just fills up with foam. The aroma is a nice mix of sweet malts and citrusy hops. Taste follows the aroma with a nice malty sweet backbone with plenty of citrusy hops throughout ending with a slightly bitter finish. The carbonation is well lively but not overly so in my mouth. Its medium bodied and very easy to drink. I'd grab this one again.

4.45/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours a hazy light brown color with a ton of carbonation. This beer is so highly carbonated that it rose and shot out of my glass with a tan head that was about 75% of the pour.
Aroma has a very nice hop smell. The hop smell is very sweet, but there is also a strong Belgian sugar smell. I don't know if there is any in this brew, but it smells nice and gives it a floral aftersmell.
Taste is an awesome IPA. It has all the great hop taste of an IPA, but a very nice balance of sugars and malts working with it. Great hop taste with a balanced, sugary finish.
Mouthfeel is awesome. The brew has a medium body with a very refreshing crisp carbonation in the mouth.
Drinkability is exceptional. This beer has such a nice balance of a lot of different tastes going on. I had never tried a brew from Buckeye Brewing before and I am very happy I did. I would definitely recommend this beer to anyone and would like to try another offering from Buckeye.

2.57/5  rDev -29.8%

A Redder than I'd expect an IPA to be, but still golden. Small, slight lip of a head

S very robust smelling, and hoppy. Maaaybe some citrus, but barely

T hopps is instant as I figured it would be, but I've had stronger. The malt taste is obvious too, especially in the aftertaste. Almost bread and yeasty

M Rougher than I expected, and maltier than I thought an IPA would be. Carbonation was light, and the malt feel overpowered any other tastes with mine

D I'm not an IPA fan, so I wouldn't be able to drink two or more, but this was an excellent pair with a hot/spicy appetiser

3.46/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from 22oz bottle. Thanks to Tifore for throwing this in as a extra.

A- Pours a darker burnt orange color. Two finger white head that shows medium retention. Lots of ringy style lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Lots of caramel bready malts in the front of this. There is some grassy style hops in the backing of this malty beast. Light orange citrus hops come into the ending of the aroma. Pretty basic but it is done well. My only complaint is the malt should be more into the background and not so much in front.

T- Light citrus hops in the front with a pale malt backing behind it. The middle of the beer is more caramel malt forward which hides the citrus hops overall. There is a nice crisp bitter hop bite on the very ending of this one which balanced the overly powerful malts at times. Alcohol is there but lightly sweet.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Hops and sweet malts left on the palate..kind of oily from hop resin at times being left on the teeth as well. Aftertaste is sweet malts, light faded alcohol, and bitter hops that last longer than the alcohol. This is more malty than what I think the style should be. No off flavors to speak off when I was drinking this. Medium drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This was a drinkable IPA nothing over the top. Average at best. Their other IPA was more outgoing than this offering. I liked it don't get me wrong but the malty sweetness that ran in this beer was only good for a glass at best.

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%

Consumed 1/1/11 No freshness date found on bottle

Poured in to Firestone Walker pint glass

A: Pours a murky orange with a huge frothy off-white head. So far so good! Head keeps pretty good retention off of an aggressive pour.

S: A whiff of oranges mixed with a grassy hop character. A sweet malt backbone is noticed as well.

T: Definitely not a huge hop punch, but it's hanging in there! Hop bitterness stays on the palate for a while, but there's a lot of malt in this one, keeping it pretty tame.

F: The malt bill gives to a pretty thick medium, slightly chewy mouthfeel. I wonder what the DIPA will be like.

D: Pretty drinkable, but not one I'd seek out again.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Pours a moderately hazy burnt orange color. The creamy, frothy head is medium sized and has good retention. Solid rings of lacing stick admirably to the glass.

S: Some lightly caramel malt sweetness up front. Fresh hop aromas are equal parts vibrant and dank - citric (orange), tropical, and highly grassy/spicy/herbal. Some resiny/candied notes are also detectable. A unique nose.

T: Malt backbone consists primarily of pale malt sweetness, with light caramel notes. Hop flavors are prominent - citrus is foremost, but a spicy/grassy and lightly tropical character is also enjoyable. A slightly oily note. Despite vibrant hop flavors, bitterness is restrained until a stronger flash appears in the finish.

M: Medium-firm body. Carbonation is medium, lending some crispness. As mentioned, a slightly oily body until the very end, whereupon the finish becomes quite dry.

D: I'm digging this IPA - definitely freshly hoppy (particularly in the nose) and flavorful. It doesn't quite hit "outstanding" territory - I feel it could benefit from a more consistent bitterness rather than minimal bite before a strong finish - but this is very enjoyable nonetheless. It may not be every hophead's all-time favorite, but it has an interesting hop character that is worth trying.

3.64/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Holy foamy beer, batman. No matter how gently I pour it bubbles up like crazy, more than half the glass is foam. Annoying.

But man does it smell good. Citrus hops and floral. Some underlying pine.

Grapes, orange, pine hit the mouth with some nice bready notes. Long bitterness lingers in the mouth.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

On-tap at the Beer Engine. Straw gold color, pretty typical look for the lighter IPAs, big hoppy aromas on the nose. Flavor is clean, big citrus hops over a bready malt bill. Simple, clean, tasty. A bit light on the feel. Check out the Beer Engine for sure--decent food, good beers, great bottle list.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info. Was a very hazy orange color with a few stray carb bubbles. It had a large head that very slowly settled into a collar and film. Good amount of quick sliding lace that left a few areas of lace.

The aroma was good with citric hops and good amount of pine over a caramel base. Not bad for an IPA. The flavor had a good dose of bitter with the pine leading the way. The caramel malt offsets it a little but this is a medium bitter showcase. Not bad but there was an odd taste behind the bitter that distracted somewhat. I prefer the more citric to bitter ones but this one was a good border beer. Mouthfeel was bitter with good carb levels. Bitter aftertaste. Would have been higher except for that odd middle taste.

Overall, a good bitter but not overly bitter AIPA. Recommend. I could see growing into this one as my bitter tolerance increases. Not avail here in TX so shipped home from my Dayton trip. Rotation - wouldn't ship any more but would have on tap if in area. If avail near me, I'd get another one in a year or so and see how I like it then. [R,Y;BL]

Hippie I.P.A. from Buckeye Brewing Company