Martian Marzen Lager - Buckeye Brewing Company

Martian Marzen LagerMartian Marzen Lager

good

Buckeye Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-04-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Appearance: Pours a very nice caramel amber crystal clear hue with a big caramel light tan head leaves nice patches of lacing nice looking brew. Aroma: Nose contains roasted caramel malts with nutty edges and herbal hops a very nice combonation of everything here. What's great is that it has a subtle sweetness, but it's not overly syrupy or anything like some American festbiers. Taste: Smooth even flavor with dry roasted nut drizzled with caramel sweetness and herbal hop accents. This is a great all around Märzen, drinking this bottle makes me wish that I would have had the opportunity to try all of their draft selections when I visited. Mouthfeel: Medium to light in body slighty sticky texture but flows very smoothly going down this achieved by moderate carbonation and a great flavor. Drinkability: Solid offering from a small unique production brewery definitely glad I gave these guys a shot. This brew only ran me around three bucks or so.

WVbeergeek, Sep 10, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +11.2%

I wish there was a picture of this bottle/label on the right (maybe there is by now). It's a cartoon drawing of a green Martian in what looks to be Doc Martens chugging a Buckeye '76 that he's holding with his tongue. Sort of a 'Martens Marzen Martian'.

Coppery dusky orange topped by a white toast brown head that's on the small side even after a spirited pour. It falls fairly quickly and deposits very little lace. Reticent nose of lightly toasted caramel with apple and pear fruit. It's a decent aroma, but isn't complex or interesting in the least.

The flavor is an improvement on the nose, not least because it's bolder. Martian Marzen is more than decently malty with plenty of sweet caramel complemented by herbal, fruity hops; overripe apples especially. The flavor reminds me of the caramel-covered apples that I used to get at the fair when I was a kid.

The hops lend a bitterness and a complexity that is more apparent on the finish, making that portion of the flavor arc the best portion. Because of the generous amount of malt, the mouthfeel is smooth and slightly slick. I like the malty sweetness, but recognize that everyone won't feel the same.

Even though I don't have a lot of marzen experience, I know what I like and I like this beer. One of my best indicators of drinkability is to see how far into the bottle I am when I finish my review. Let's just say that the glass still has beer in it, but the bomber doesn't. I'm glad that I picked up two of these on my recent trip home to the Buckeye State.

BuckeyeNation, Aug 31, 2004
3.58/5  rDev 0%

Served in the 22 oz. bomber, into a pint glass. The color is amber, with a foamy white head. The smell is a caramel malt. The taste is somewhat sweet, with some bitterness in the flavor, and a lack of balance. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, not too many more of these.

Well, after Penn's marzen, this just really doesn't measure up. Not that it's horrible, it's just not in the same ballpark. Still, maybe I'd give this one a try if I ever make it up to Buckeye's brewpub.

beergeek279, Apr 22, 2004

This time from the bottle...pours with a small white head and is an orange-brown color. Smells kind of fruity and spicy. There's not a strong odor. There aren't too many flavors and nothing is really distinctive, maybe some peachy spice and alcohol. This is heavily carbonated and rather thin in the mouth. This isn't a bad brew it's just not very exciting.

I wouldn't want to drink many of these.

babyhobbes, Feb 10, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks alcfron, this is a pretty enjoyable Oktoberfest. Nice and malty w/ good amber color. This year, I actually tried several Oktoberfests and this Martian was one of the better ones. I was actually surprised how many of them lacked maltiness. Mind you, this is Not a world class beer by any stretch, but it's pretty nice

jcalabre, Nov 20, 2003
3.53/5  rDev -1.4%

This is an interesting otherwordly 22oz Marzen. I wonder if it is so named because of the color? It isn't much of a stretch to say this beer is "Mars-colored" orangish-red. Medium-thick off-white head that lingered, and decent lacing. Sweet caramel malt aroma. Slick and sweet flavor of malt that threatens to become too much, but luckily there is enough hops finish to keep it from being too sticky-sweet. Another decent beer from Buckeye.

Dogbrick, Jan 14, 2003
3.3/5  rDev -7.8%

Slightly hazy. Deep amber color with orange highlights and a fluffy off-white head that diminishes quickly but holds fairly well. The aroma is of sweetish malt and a touch of fruitiness - not much hop. The body is medium with a moderate carbonation, leading to a full mouthfeel. The flavor presents sweetish caramel malt with an OK balance. The finish is a little bit sticky, almost candyish, but gives a burst of hops on the way out.

NeroFiddled, Aug 04, 2002