2010 Cleveland Beer Week Collaboration Altbier (w/ Cornerstone) - Buckeye Brewing Company

2010 Cleveland Beer Week Collaboration Altbier (w/ Cornerstone)2010 Cleveland Beer Week Collaboration Altbier (w/ Cornerstone)

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Buckeye Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Altbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: jampics2 on 10-08-2010

Reviews by jampics2:
4.13/5  rDev +23.7%

On tap at the Beer Engine. Described as "Collaboration with Corner Stone Brewing- Crisp and drinkable northern German Alt". 5.5% ABV and "level 2" bitterness, no IBU's listed. 16 oz pint glass.

This is one of the beers made for Clevelend Beer Week. It's a fiery amber colored beer with some caramel and autumn red. There's minimal head and the lace isn't great but is soapy and spotty. A good looking Altbier because of the color, but could score better if it had a bit more retention.

The smell is really nice but just doesn't pop like the best beers in the style. There's some caramel and sweet malt and a really nice toasted note. I love the fact this has that earthy depth from the toast and the noble hops. Just doesn't come off with the "pop" that authentic Alts like the excellent Uerige Altbier do.

The taste is more than good though, in fact, it's excellent. I've been drinking enough German ales lately to really hone in on what I like, and this is a great example of the style. It's got a nice toasted malt character reminiscent of toasted biscuits and has some caramel sweetness as well. Some mild fruitiness that hasn't been conditioned out exists as well, and a touch of earthy noble hop spice, but the toast and smooth flavor are the stars of the show. The sweetness emerges as it warms, and the beer is just really enjoyable.

In my mouth, a crisp, lighter body is pleasant and not sticky or syrupy at all. A touch of bitterness and lingering toast finish the beer well, and it's got the perfect dryness in the finish. This is a really good Alt. The balance, depth, and pleasant toast make this stand out. Great beer!

2.54/5  rDev -24%

12 oz bottle, 5.5% abv. Something is surely wrong with the carbonation, as I poured an entire glass of foam. The second pour yields a hazy amber color, with half a glass of foam. Bubbles rising to the surface like crazy, supporting a never ending head.

There is some toasty malt in the nose, with some earthy and mineral notes.

Some toasty malt, with a bit of sweetness. Earthy notes, but honestly it is difficult to get through all of the carbonation. Perhaps time ruined this beer. Disappointing.

3.06/5  rDev -8.4%

12 ounce bottle. Pours clear orange-brown color with a enormous head that fills the entire glass. This is going to take a while to pour, insanely high carbonation. Amazing head retention however, and some sticking glass lacing as well. Ends up being a fairly frothy off white head. Aromas of spicy hops, caramel, bread, and toasted malts. Very weak aromas. Taste of caramel, roasted malt, bread, and some spiciness. No bitterness on the finish, but there is some lingering notes of spices, bread, and toasted malt that stick around for a short period. Some unknown odd flavors in the taste as well. Very weird mouthfeel, pretty smooth, but there seems to be quite a strong alcohol warming on the back of the throat, which is odd for a 5.5% beer. Medium carbonation and body. I have a feeling there was something wrong with the bottle because of the insane carb bomb on the pour. Maybe this is much better when it is fresh. Never had an altbier before, but I will have to try out some other ones that are fresh. Decent.

2.04/5  rDev -38.9%

Mahogany in color with way to much carbonation. Head explodes and causes a pour of less than a quarter of the bottle. Head is like ice cream thick and full light brown in color.

Smells like an alt. Dark bready malts with earthy noble hops with a bit of pine. Rye and pumpernickel things are just slightly subdued in the background.

Well this may be a culprit of taking forever to get the pack organized. Beer has some off flavors. Hints of infection, butterscotch and butter. Dark breads and earthy hops like the aromas but the infection aspect is there and lingering in the background. Too bad this couldn't be figured out sooner.

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is another beer out of the 2010 Collaboration Pack that I wish I didn't have to wait over six months to get my hands on. I haven't had enough German style beers as I would have liked to so far but I do know that they should be consumed when they are fresh.

I had a bit of a sloppy pour into a snifter glass and gave me a huge frothy 3 inch head with some sticky lacing. The body has a great brownish, amber color. Being new to the style I had a hard time picking up specific flavors in the aroma.

I was impressed with the taste (makes me wonder how it really is fresh). To me it had a bread like taste, with the malts, and a few hints of sweetness and a toasty flavor as well.

The drinkability was excellent, not too heavy or light, almost a bit creamy. The carbination is well balanced with the texture. It really was a joy to drink.

Overall with this being my first Altbier I enjoyed the style. I wouldn't go out and try to find a few extra single bottles but it is more of a reminder that I need to try more German beers. I really wish I could have tried this beer when it was fresh back in October but I was still pleased with it.

2010 Cleveland Beer Week Collaboration Altbier (w/ Cornerstone) from Buckeye Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.