Microbrew Invitational

Availability: Fall

Added by Spider889 on 11-07-2010

Reviews: 13 | Ratings: 24
3.38/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice deep orange color with a one finger slightly orangish off white head which leaves a little lace. The aroma isn't big time pumpkin more spicy. There is cinnamon and clove with a hint of nutmeg. The taste follows the nose with a hint of pumkin but more cinnamon is present. There is also a touch of clove, nutmeg, and maybe a hint of vanilla in there. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall it is a solid pumpkin beer but not best in class. It is more balanced than most but doesn't give you that deep pumpkin flavor of others.

Ahh, I remember this beer from the days of old. It was a day back in October 2003 I think, and we were gathered at our respective stools at the old hangout. Garin was running around in his apron and gloves mashing something with that mad scientist look on his face. Jena was behind the bar and we had Dire Straits on the stereo. This beer appeared on tap for the first time and I had to give it a shot. It was very good, even to a brash young hop head like me.

Yep, this beer takes me back. But I didn't let me memories stand in the way of a fair and honest review. And I didn't have to, because, much like my memories, this is just very good! This growler was graciously shared by Paul as we watched the Browns pull off a great win over the New England Patriots.

The beer has a nice caramel color with red streaks and some slight gold highlights. Nice lace and head retention. Overall, it's not as "festive" as some pumpkin beers, but it has a good disposition and begs me to lean in to experience the scents.

No dead pumpkin smell here - instead, we get a ton of cinnamon and a touch of clove. The spices are balanced by a decent little hop kick and lots of sweet malt. This is very much like a caramel pumpkin spice candy.

The caramel malt and cinnamon snap defines the tasting experience to a tee. There's a touch of bitterness to make this avoid being cloying, but the caramelized sweetness and nice cinnamon, clove and some vanilla sets this beer on its way.

The mouthfeel is on the less-viscous side of things, and that's just fine with me. In a way, this beer reminds me of the Elysian Great Pumpkin which is one of my favorites in that it's a beer with great spices, but a beer over anything else. That makes it very drinkable. Certainly in the top quartile of pumpkin beers, another great offering from the Buckeye family of honest Cleveland beers! Cheers to the good old times!!

3.87/5  rDev +6.6%

Pretty standard for a quality Pumpkin Ale. I've had so many this year it's getting hard to compare and order them all. So far ST Pumking is easily #1, but from there it gets shaky.

I'd put this one in the slightly above average group. More drinkable than Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin, more flavorful than DFH Punkin.

Nice golden orange color, a finger of white foamy head and minimal lace spots the glass.

Smells typical, but very good. Lots of cinnamon up front, and it is rounded out by the obligatory pie spices: nutmeg, allspice, clove, and vanilla.

Not sure if they use real pumpkins or not (even when breweries tell you they do it can often be hard to pick out the fruit from the spice). Sweet and full of mild caramel malts. Cinnamon and allspice explode onto the palate and really remind you of the season.

Fairly drinkable, smooth, and not overly spiced as some tend to be.

Pumpkin Dead from Buckeye Brewing Company