Jack D'or - Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Jack D'orJack D'or

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.40% ABV

First release from Pretty Things. A "Saison Americain."

(Beer added by: Paquette on 12-01-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jack D'or Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -69.1%

1.5/5  rDev -63%

1.75/5  rDev -56.8%

1.75/5  rDev -56.8%

2.08/5  rDev -48.6%

Jack D'or - Bottled Oct 2009 - Batch Nine

C: Nice Golden Yellow/Orange color. Pours with a very large head.

S: Malts. Citrus. Spices.

T: Very sour. I suspect that this batch has gone terribly bad. The head is rising out of the bottle and I haven't even poured it yet.

M: Over carbonated. Good texture.

D: I hope this is not representative of the type of stuff that Pretty Things has to offer. I've had a number of their beers on tap and they've been nothing like this. Disappointing because I was expecting a lot more from PT than this, although this experience won't deter me from trying more of their beer.

OVERALL GRADE: C-/D

2.25/5  rDev -44.4%

Smells and tastes more like a heffeweisen than a saison, sweet and too fruity for my tastes. Cloudy and orange like one too. More citrus than anything else, and I prefer more earthy and peppery notes in my saisons.

2.28/5  rDev -43.7%

A-? This beer is a yeast infection in your mouth. Bleh.

First off, super-uber bonus points for great bottle art. There appears to be a mustachio'ed onion in a tub of water...in a forest...with a "yes" pin. Right on. Freshness dating includes batch number (mine was batch #2).

Clear, orangey-yellow with a large white head and good retention. It's an opaque, creamsicle looking thing with the yeast in.

Lemon yeast with a Sour Patch kids sugaryness. Mild herbal hop stank.

Gadzooks, this is dry. I can feel it sucking the moisture out of my body. It's like a yeast infection in a bottle. Egads.

2.3/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured from the bottle into a wineglass like glass. Yellow in color with medium amount of white bubbly head. Head receded fairly quickly with very little lacing. Smell was odd. Lemon, white wine and some vinegar. I began to think 'infection'. Taste was like lemon juice and nail polish. I'd heard from several people that nail polish would be very apparent when you get it, and sure enough, it was. First infected beer that I didn't realize was infected before I opened it. I have seen bacteria floating on the top of a beer before and just didn't open it. This was unfortunate. This was an extra from a trade, so it's not like I spent money on it; but I'd heard good things about this beer and still am for the next time I stumble upon one.

2.33/5  rDev -42.5%

Thanks to the Cakanator for sending me this bomber is a very nice early summer trade. Buried this one in the yard for a while before getting out the spade this evening to unearth it.

Opaque yellow, dead-looking. Nose is dominated by lemon.

Taste is very lemony, with a strong backdraft of farmish funk at the end. Not in a terribly good way. The funk is DeathValleydry, making me pucker up rather unpleasantly. Some people seem to like horse blanket in their beer - I don't. The spices & lemon fight with the funk, but they don't have much chance. The funk strengthens as the beer warms. Um, not a recommendation. Drink it cold.

If this is a true rep of the style, it's amazing the saison didn't die centuries ago. I've had much better saisons, this one is OK, bordering on actively unpleasant.

2.58/5  rDev -36.3%

Bottled Nov 2009, batch 10. Pours a hazy golden blonde with clear lacing. Small, white head. Aroma dominated by bubble gum, some sweet malt, mild hops and kumquat? Taste is dominated by vinegar like, sour and maybe unripe honeydew. Really not very pleasing. I recognize an American interpretation of a saison should have a bit of funk but I doubt this is the taste they were going for. Should this beer have fallen apart in 1.5 years? Even at only 6.4% abv, this should have held up. I just want to move on and get this taste out of my mouth. A friend shared this with me, it had a $1.49 sticker on it, maybe it was marked down because of its age?

2.73/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz poured into stemless red wine glass.

A: Tiny bit of white head. Good lacing and carbonation. Very yellow and cloudy. Got a lot of yeast in the bottom.

S: Fruity sourness.

T: Very light. Sour bitterness. Yeah sour. And hoppy.

MF: Chalky

OA: Don't dig it, not sure if its supposed to be this way or if drink a hot chocolate prior to this had an affect.

2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

on tap in North Adams. Probably unfair to rate a drinkable, mild beer so low; but I want some kind of funky character to my saison and this didn't get my attention: just went well with a burger.

2.8/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass- probably not the best glass but all that I had on hand.

Appeared a hazy gold/yellow color with a light, bubbly, bright white head - about an inch tall.

Smell was quite interesting - definetely some "off" smells at first - which is to be expected - followed up with some nice farm/fruit smells - reminded me of walking into a barn during apple-season.

Taste was quite complex - definetely fruity up front, with some cinnamon/spicy undertones. Reminded me a bit of a witbier mixed with a tripel mixed with some funky flavors.

Mouthfeel was spot on. Pretty lively.

Overall this was a quality brew. Definetely was all over the place in terms of smell and taste - which is what I look for in a Saison. Definetely would like to try this on tap.

2.8/5  rDev -30.9%

A - Pours a hazy, straw color, with a long lasting foamy white head. Good lacing

S - Smells of apple cider with citrus mixed in, and some spiciness, cloves.

T - Spices are right up front and center on this, there is some lemon and funk also contributing. The spices are a bit overwhelming here, and a bit of banana creeps in.

M - Mild carbonation, very dry finish

O - Glad I tried this one, but probably wont pick this up again.

Jack D'or from Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project