Jack D'or - Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Jack D'orJack D'or

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.40% ABV

First release from Pretty Things. A "Saison Americain."

(Beer added by: Paquette on 12-01-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jack D'or Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

22 oz. bottle 11/09 Batch 10

A hazy, dazy yellow gold with orange hues. lively bubbles, 3" high and really enthusiastic, just like a good authentic Belgian would be. There's a dollop of creamy froth for a nice crown. Sticky icky lace all over the place. Large clumps of foam floating around like icebergs at all times. A perfect look.

spicey alcohol esters, minty-citrus wheat, corriander and vanilla and all-spice. Belgian candy sweetness in the malt. very nice.

wow, what a jazzy mouthfeel! this stuff dances all over your face! Very crispy, peppery yeast, dry...amazing effect in the feel, very earthy and exciting. Sometimes the feel can be energy, and this one delivers it in spades. The yeast is very complex for an American version, with meaty, peppery, yeast, very earthy hops and yeast combo. The malt has a gentle sweetness that has the right subtle aspects that leave this ultra clean. There's citrus and juicy effects from the hops, not at all bitter with lemmon zest in the end. All these flavor's harmonize very well together. Balance is achieved in a major way here. quaff city.

A wonderful Belgo-Americano brew.

2.83/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours a light hazy shade of dandelion tinted amber with a monstrous puffy, bright white head and massive visible carbonation.

The smell is not all that complex although it is pungent. The first thing I get right off the bat is banana bread. Some sweet yeasty notes and white pepper just about sums up the nose.

Damn, the flavors come through very subdued. Some indiscernible sweetness up front followed by the slightest most minimalistic bit of drying lemony funk. The finish is nice and peppery with a hop driven spice and a touch of bitterness.

The carbonation is obviously from bottle conditioning, light and airy, effervescent and almost overdone. Thin as expected and nothing noteworthy really.

Overall I am not overly thrilled with this one, and I had high hopes. A bit of an underachievement in my eyes but I can see how a lot of people unfamiliar with the style would enjoy this immensely. Good flavors, just not nearly enough of them.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Batch 10, bottled November 09. Poured from a bottle into a tulip. The pour yields a cloudy orange body with a thick, foamy two finger bone white head. A swirl of the glass leaves some foamy lacing sticking to the sides.

The smell is bread and butter malts, crisp lemon zest, pepper, and sweet apples and cinnamon. The apple cinnamon components are very subtle, but they are a very welcome addition to the nose.

The taste is pretty standard for a saison. Light citrus, lemon zest and oranges, a slight peppery hop backbone and a healthy dose of bready sugar cookie malts. There are also hints of pears, a slight touch of the apple evident in the nose (but not as sweet an apple) and a nice alcohol sweetness as well.

The beer is light bodied, well carbonated and a nice representation of the style. The beer is full of flavors that remind me of summer and early fall, with a crisp and dry mouthfeel. Definitely something I will revisit.

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Batch 5, May 2009, drunk in Jan 2010.

A. Pretty classic Saison - cloudy pale yellow, creamy, fluffy head, lace.

S. Odd, rather malty at first, spicy, dry, some dry, yeasty character, a bit hard to define. Interesting, caramel apple? Hmm.

T. Rather a good amount of malt here, but dried out... residual hop bitterness, vague spice, finishes sweet (too sweet?) and soft, with some light esters.

M / D. Soft and easy, odd finishing flavors are not entirely complimentary, but still, this is a solid, different and malty example of a Saison. Recommended, especially if you're local to these cats.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks to NutBrown for the chance to try this one. Alan rules!

Batch 8 bottled July 2009.

I pop the cap and hear a nice hiss. The pour reveals a gorgeous hazy, nah cloudy orange yellow brew with close to 1 finger's worth of foam. Lots and lots of nice lacing sticking to the side of my glass.

With my nose hovering over the glass, I'm picking up plenty of lemon zest, some white pepper and other spiciness, some good aromas that only the Brett can bring....a very tactful nose as in it isn't overwhelming but very nicely done.

First sip brings the spiciness and lemon zest and the Brett to my tastebuds. The pepper makes this a really dry brew and I'm loving it. Some tartness from the citrus lemon pops up now and then but I can taste it mostly in the finish which adds to the dryness. As far as the malts role in this puppy, I'm getting some light notes of some bread. Overall, a very delicious Saison indeed.

The mouthfeel is on the low end of medium with the carbonation being close to the same. Nice and smooth overall.

Drinkability? Since the abv is reasonable and well hidden and the tastes here are anything but boring...this is a very easy drinking beer though I think, when I finish the 22oz, I'll be fully contented and not looking to grab another if I had one. That's not a slant on the beer in any way; most Saisons I've had are 1 and I'm done for one sitting. Having another on another day is a whole new ball game. ;^)

Yeah--My 500th review

Appearance: orange-yellow in color, cloudy, 1/3 inch beautiful creamy head, medium carbonation

Smell: apple, flowers, alcohol, and spices

Taste: granny smith apple, grapefruit juice, coriander, and alcohol

Mouthfeel: light carbonation, sour-semi bitter mix, light bodied

Drinkability: A very interesting beer for my 500th review here. Very tasty for a saison and not as hard and biting as others I have had. A sipper and one per sitting, but I would like to have this again, especially on tap.

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

First Batch picked up at PH Provisions in Boston I believe. Bottled in November 2008. Paid just under $6 back then. Poured into a wobbly Duvel Tulip(oh noes!) that I also picked up in Boston for $2 at another establishment. *sigh*

I had this a couple times on tap before & wasn't blown away by it. Add in the homer atmosphere I was drinking it in, & great people behind it, I was torn. I brought a few back with me anyway, figuring the time in the bottle & change of scenery would do it some good. It wasn't long though, before Pretty Things invaded my neighborhood & the novelty of having out of state beer to share with friends was gone.

Big yeasty whiff right off the bottle before I even start pouring. Touch of bubblegum, touch of vinegar.

Golden, apple juice color. The yeast, just barely disturbed. A bit darker then when it was when fresh. A netting of bubbles surround a whitewash-colored head. Sticky, gritty, lace.

Smell is wintergreen-like hops, macerated lemon & orange zests, a touch of honey, & lots of nostril clearing, aerosol-like alcohol.

Taste was so much better, & so different from what I had on tap. A light oat-y cereal sweetness upfront, followed up with a lightly herbal, leafy green hoppy middle. It ends on dry crackery malt with a mild trail of steel-y hops. Not very phenolic. I can't complain much though. Dry is good.

Coating, but not greasy. Warming in a soothing, non-irritating way. Sane amount of carbonation. A solid saison. :)

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch Ten - 22oz Bottle

Pours a very clear orange red with a nice sized head. Lots of thin lacing. Smells delicate like flowers with a hint of green apple. Taste is sweet and bitter. Very crisp and refreshing. Mouthfeel is thin and well carbonated. Very drinkable and very enjoyable. Pretty Things has become a great brewery and this is definitely their flagship beer.

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle via trade. I believe this came from jlindros.

Pours a somewhat hazy golden color with a creamy lasting white head and excellent lacing.

Aroma is very peppery with funk and bready pale malt. Right on style and very nice-smelling.

Flavor is great, yeasty and peppery, with pale malt and floral hops. Somewhat complex for a saison, and really tasty.

Medium-light bodied with medium-high carbonation and a long finish.

Drinkability is high, as this beer keeps you wanting more. This was my first Pretty Things beer, and is an absolute winner.

4.78/5  rDev +18%

Had a pint glass of this from the bottle.

A-fluffy white head, orange brown body.

S-fruity, sour fruit

T-yeasty front, cloves, some malt.

M-medium body with a nice dry finish.

D-Very nice all around flavor. This beer would be a great beer with foods of all types. I would drink this beer again.

3.93/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Nov 2009 batch. Pours a rich golden-orange with 2-3 fingers white foam head which dissipates slowly. A lot of carbonation. Difficult for me to place the aroma, but ultimately hints of orange. Taste is pleasant complex combination of fruity, earthy, and spicy, the latter taking over into peppery aftertones. Initially carbonation was a bit overpowering, but fortunately died down with continued drinking. Bit hard to pin down, but very good.

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a beautiful, clear gold, topped by a billowy head that threatens to overflow the snifter. The head recedes to a thick cap and leaves ample lacing on the glass. Nice.

Not a very strong aroma, but it is full of rounded yeasty notes, hints of citrus, pear, apple, and notes of earthy bitter just below the "surface". Nice nose, nothing exceptional, but nice.

Jack D'or has a medium strength flavor, starting with a tart yeastiness that yields to the apple and pear predicted by the smell. There is a bit of sweetness to this, a bit of neutral grain in the mix, and it ends with a flourish of tart, bitter, grass, earth, and funk. As it warms the bitter becomes more pronounced, and the tart/funk tastes start to shine in the finish. Very well balanced, very complex, very interesting mix. As my palate accustoms to it I find it quite delicious.

Mouthfeel is good, less carbonation than the pour predicted, but plenty enough, not too clinging, clean on the palate, just the right feel to showcase the interesting, dry finish.

Drinkability is quite good. I am sorry I have only this one bottle.

Impression: Solid beer, perhaps lacking some of the smoothness of some others in this broad style, the intensity of some others, but a beer I certainly will purchase again.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

This beer pours a clear orange-golden color. The head is a billowy off-white color, and lacing is thick. The aroma is funky, fruity, and floral. It has good strength, and nice complexity. The taste is like the aroma, but a little less strong. It is still quite nice though. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a carbonation level that is way too high. So high, in fact, that it really gets in the way of the nuances that I'm sure are hiding in the taste, and caries them away into oblivion. Overall, this is a nice beer that has a lot of the elements of greatness, but ultimately falls a little short.

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

Batch 10, Bottled November 2009.

Pretty things Website has something about why you should pour your beer straight in, so I honored that. It created in epic 3 finger head that dissipated extremely slowly, into a fluffy lacing in my snifter glass. Lacing clings all around. I pour the rest in as the beer settles and I get a 1 finger fluffy head.

Beer is a hazy sunset orange and a 3 columns of bubbles race up the sides of the glass. This is NOT an etched glass.

Jack D'or has a big Belgian yeast nose full of clove, a citrus note hopping that is reminiscent of lemon, coriander and orange peel. Amazing how many of these spices translate to the nose though there are NO actual spices in this beer.

The taste of the beer immediately makes me think of it being somewhere between a Saison and Witbier, but taking only the pleasant notes from each. The yeast taste features a dusty mouthfeel, and is classic Belgian. Clove, orange zest and coriander come out in the taste. A bit of oat in the malt. Tastes a bit hoppier then other Saisons and Wits I've had. A very citrus hop character.

This beer has a fluffy and dusty mouthfeel. A little bitter but not too intense for the style.

All I can say is wow, its not insanely complex only as complex as it needs be. Its a pretty bold sasion but you don't have to think too much about this. Stylistically on target, but remains very unique.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch 6, June 2009. Poured into my stemmed, shaped flute glass. The color is a light gold with a very slight haze on the first pour, and complete haze on the last pour. Good amount of bubbles are streaming up the middle. The head is decent at first but fades way too much for my liking. It's fluffy and airy in texture and therefore leaves only some lace.

The aroma has a good strength as I smelled it upon the pour. When I brought it to my nose, I found it to be yeasty and very Belgian in character. Spice and herbs, like a spice rack, along with a bit of orange peel.

The flavor starts out with sweet orange fruitiness and bright spices, especially ginger. The finish is much different, and is very dry with a slight medicinal character. It's light hopped but noticeably bitter. It leans towards the bright fruity flavors rather than the dry earthy ones, especially on the yeasty last pour, where this beer tasted its best.

The mouthfeel is bubbly and dry in the finish, but in the middle it seems to have some substance. The drinkability is about perfect, and I'm sad to see the end of the glass and my only bottle. It's a bit pricey as usual with this style of beer.

Food pairing notes: I had this with a Japanese Hibachi steak and it was one of the best pairings I've ever had. The beer contrasted the steak nicely but really rode along with the Ginger sauce. It's a great sauce, and along with this beer, it tasted like I was drinking a liquid version of the sauce, but with more flavors.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 9, bottled Oct2009. In a tulip, the beer was a golden color with a thick white whipped cream head that was very sticky. A sweet, spicy aroma. Sweet malt taste, some orange, and lots of peppery spice. I thought this beer was a bit on the unbalanced side, and was too sharp for me.

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

When I saw this on the shelf at the four firkins I knew I'd seen it somewhere and that it'd be a good purchase.

Beautiful bottle, graphic design was really well done but some times that worries me. Will the package in side the bottle be a good? Or better?

Massive head filled my tulip glass. Left a nice delicate lace.
Crystal clear. Yellow.

Peppery smell. Something sweet.

Gorgeous flavors. Complex & delicate like the lace.
Pepper, some orange peel. Warming.

Plenty of other distractions are good but this is great.

Having this for the second time. Was underwhelmed the first, but I'm going to give it a chance again because I was kind of drunk when I had it that first time.

Appearance- Very light copper. Quite clear. Two inches of nice, slightly beige, rocky head after a gentle pour.

Smell- Citrus. Lemon peel. Apples cider. Plenty of yeast. Some spice. A very nice saison smell.

Taste- Very pleasant. Follows the nose. Light and citrus, although a little harsh, almost bitter follow. Not a pleasant sour, but more bitter. It's not overwhelming, but a little "off". Sweet breadiness as well. Can really taste the yeast. Quite spicy.

Mouthfeel- Properly carbonated, although a tad thin.

Drinkability- Great except for that bitter finish. I'd have a couple.

This is certainly a nice beer, and I'd recommend it to anyone, but it's not a favorite. I'd be interested in their other offerings.

Batch 9, bottled Oct 2009.

First I have to say that I am a fan of the branding of this brewery, really adorable labels that set themselves apart from the hyper-masculine breweries out there. Don't know how long this brewery has been available in MN, but this is my first offering from them.

A: Huge, huge, huge foamy head 50cm! as if I pee'd on a bar of soap, how did this happen? Apart from that the beer has a really nice glow to it's murky not yet ripe orange body. The highlights on the beer are even lighter when looking through this duvel glass. Dare I say it's a really pretty looking beer?

S: Has the build of a good saison mildly fruity esters (pear), grassiness, hay, and spicy yeast.

T: I would have a hard time believing if you told me this was brewed by a small scale US brewery. It's a good saison that starts out spicy and warm on the tongue. After the intial taste you get blasted with hay and sweet malt 'n' lemongrass wrapped up in a highly carbonated beer. The aftertaste is prolonged and maybe a little bit to phenolic for my liking, but very fitting to the style I think.

M: This is medium bodied at best and boasts a huge level of carbonation. The head on this beer was massive and it's real sharp and prickly on the tongue, but almost too carbonated.

D: An amazing looking beer that delivers on the style.

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

A= pours a beautiful light copper color. Really looks great in color the head is also a nice suprise rising to three fingers in my glass and has great retention and lacing. The color is almost like apple juice. Awesome retention leaving a great rocky head. I wish I woulda used one of my duvel glasses to see how it would compare.

S= Like a really great saison. Nice yeasty estery notes coming from it. Green apple and pear. HOPS. There is a definite hop presence in it. On the bottle it says American saison so I'm assuming they hopped it up to keep with American style. Some good light malts come through as it smells like permenting beer in a closet a little.

T= Just like the smell... Great yeasty esters hit you up front and on the tip of your tongue they last with nice green apple and pear flavors just sitting there. Then the middle is full of nice hops that also last creating quite the complexity as the tip and middle of your tongue battle for the dominate flavor. Quietly like the Vietcong the bready finish falls down the back of your tongue and slowly falls down your throat. The breadyness is very very present when you exhale through your nose after a sip. Awesome saison flavors.

M= Crisp yet somewhat coating. Great lasting flavors all over you tongue. Nice small bubbles lead to a little creamyness.

D= Awesome beer. After drinking Baby Tree last night I wasn't expecting much from this one but this beer is the quintessential American saison. This is what I want a saison to taste like. Great flavors and smell. Awesome looking beer. Great feel. One of the best saison's I've ever had no doubt seek this beer out.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle opened by PWoods.
Pours a hazy gold in color with a nice inch and a half of head on the pour.
Smell is fruity esters and some nice spice. Taste is more peppery and spice. There's a certain bitterness coming through in the flavor. Almost a lager like flavor and not enough fruity notes in the flavor.
Decent mouthfeel and easy drinking. Far from my favorite of the style.
Good offering, I'll seek more out from this brewery and give them a try.

3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

22oz. Brown bottle poured into a chalice.

A: Pours an average amber with decent clarity. Moderate head with little retention or lacing.

S: Great spicy yeast with enty of fruity esters. Sweet Candi sugar.

T/M: Nice hop bitterness. Nice spicy yeast, a bit harsh. Odd fruity twang. Plenty of sweetness but not enough to balance the bitterness and spices. Body is medium or so.

D: Pretty harsh to drink. Low ABV, though.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Got through a trade...Pours golden orange(into my Koningshoeven sniffer). Very nice size head and frothy. Slowly dissapates and leaves decent lacing. Smells very earthy. Lemon/citrus and musty. Very common Saison aroma and therefore pleasant.
Flavor is also spot on for a typical solid saison. Light and crisp with a lemon aftertaste. A little grapefruit. Slight hop and wheat notes. Very good beer!

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

calise1122 was kind enough to give me a bottle of this simply because I hadn't had it before. Thanks, Brett! I've heard good things about this beer, as well as Dan's other beers. This is batch 7, bottled July 2009

The first pour is gorgeous, light orange in color with a dense off-white head that's 2-fingers thick. Clarity is excellent, and head retention is top-notch too. Some lacing is left along the side as I drink this.

This beer exemplifies everything I love about saisons. Rustic and complex, this beer is excellent. The nose is an excellent blend of hay, mild phenols, some spice with white pepper and some honey as well. Hop character is low, but I do get some citrus on the nose. Yeasty and mildly estery, this is one of the best domestic saisons I've had.

The palate opens with a delicate combination of spices (white pepper) and sweetness. While I usually dislike sweeter saisons, the mild sweetness works beautifully in this beer. Honey and mild caramel meld with the spice and estery character of the yeast. Citrus character is noticeable, lending a juiciness to the palate that works very well with everything else that's going on. Phenols appear towards the finish, one that's a combination of sweet and drying. Delicate floral and citrus flavors linger on the finish, with a touch of honey. The combination of the medium body and the high carbonation is enjoyable. While the flavors are excellent, I find the sweetness to be just a little distracting, keeping me from quaffing this beer like I'd with a Dupont. All told, an excellent beer.

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Received as an extra in a trade recently but for the life of me I can't remember which generous New Englander I have to thank for this one. Batch Seven bottled July 09. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

After a steady pour this beer forms a medium fluffy off white head that fades relatively quickly leaving only spotty lacing. Body is a bright orange amber with a moderate haze.

Smell is very sweet and estery for the style. Bananas and dried apricots really caught me off guard. Behind that I'm getting a very faint phenolic character.

The nose didn't really prepare me well for the herbal medicinal flavors which is followed by some spice and a mild grassy hop character. I'll have to admit, between the unusually fruity aroma and the 'Saison Americain' on the label I was starting to expect something much different than a traditional Saison but this one has much more in common with it's Belgian cousins than most of its American brothers and sisters. You could serve this to any lover of Belgian beer and they'd immediately identify it as a Saison. Not sure if it's the increasing temp or my palate adjusting to the other flavors but the fruity esters that were picked up on the aroma are starting to come back out half way through the tasting, green apples and ripe bananas primarily. Very enjoyable.

Nicely carbonated, mid bodied, and very drinkable. 6.5% ABV just about in my preferred range for the style.

I'll have to admit this shattered my expectations (the benefit of avoiding reading reviews before tasting). I'm not sure how I got the idea in my head this would be one of those 'very good, but missed the mark for the style' American interpretations of a Belgian but it just isn't the case. Really a must try for lovers of tradional Saison's.

Jack D'or from Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project