Baby Tree - Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Quadrupel with dried plums.

This beer is no longer brewed with dried plums as of June '11 batch.

(Beer added by: twelvsies on 04-21-2009)
3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle shared at Woodshop 5.0. At a tasting where Odonata Rorie's Ale was flowing like blood from a stabbing victim, I was intrigued to try this quad brewed with fruit and do a little comparison. Pours a hazy, sort of ugly muddy brown color with a light-tan wispy head. Aroma is full of Belgian dark esters and spices without much plum going on. Plum finally comes through more in the flavor but it's a mushy mealy overripe plumminess. The base beer is very yeasty with additional accents of raisin, dark bread, and caramel. A little underwhelming but still pretty good.

illidurit, Feb 24, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +23.5%

Bottle lists that this is batch three of this brew and bottle on October, 2009. Less than four months before it reaches my lips. Very cool to have on a label.

Pours a very deep ruby red with a little bit of a purple tint. Healthy head that maintains and laces moderately; in chunks.

Smell is of phenol and tart suggestions of cranberry juice. Also showing of some spicy, Belgian yeast.

Taste is like a mix between a belgian-style quad and cranberry juice or sour cherry; very sweet and tart while also very bold. Compliments perfectly with the standard spicy yeast of the quad style.

Mouthfeel is beautiful and refreshing. Tops this outstanding beer off to be so exuberant and tingling.

Drinkability is insane for a 9% belgian-style ale. (I see its listed as 8.7% on here but the bottle says 9%).

ClassicBrad, Feb 23, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Had on tap at Issac Newton's in Newtown Pa. Poured into a larger size snifter. Pours a dark brownish red, although the restaurants lights are dim. Very little, practically no head when brought to my table...which wasn't long after I ordered, so I imagine there wasn't much head to begin with. With that said, practically no lacing either.

Aroma is pretty comparable to most quadrupels. Most pronounced aroma is the raisins. Some belgian yeast and slight booze.

Flavor is again, strong with raisins. This borders the overwhelming mark of American versions of Belgian style dark ales or quads. On the otherhand, just when you think the flavor is escalating to that point, it mellows out and booze takes over. The carbonation is just right...and overall, a good beer, not Pretty Things best.

Mouthfeel is medium and smooth. Booze is a little high which pulls down the drinkability...but the flavor is good so it's enjoyable.

ShadesOfGray, Feb 18, 2010

Batch 3
Bottled Oct 2009
A garnet colored beer with a rim of tan head. Dark fruit and sweet malt aroma.
Taste of raisins up front, followed by a sweet taste of brown sugar, with a peppery finish.
A very smooth beer.
Eminently drinkable, a beer to sit back and savor.

lordofthewiens, Feb 14, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

Ahh Belgian quads not for the faint of heart or palate. A deep magohany glance stares back at you with a lot of bubbles. The celebration begins with a yeasty earthy aroma that harkens you back to hours of prayer. History comes alive with this ale embrace it. Dried plums slowly do a waltz with your taste buds and a slight bready taste coats your palate. a session beer to trade stories with your friends, this ale is not but a signature to a good evening this ale is.

Cmack15, Feb 11, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A bottle from WF Bowery beer room. "Batch 4 Bottled February 2010"...I bought it in January though?!? I've really liked the few things I've tried from this place, so I'm willing to overlook the small stuff.

A- Pours a murky hazy dark mahogany brown. Looks like a murky iced tea. There is a half inch off white expansion of bubbles that seems to contract downwards in the center first...looks cool.

S- My first thought is Dr.Pepper, then I think back to the old commercials...."I'm a pepper, he's a pepper...dont you wanna be a pepper too?" Anyways, I also get some raisins, touch of brown sugar. I get some dry white pepper, like a saison. A little chocolate too.

T- Sweet raisny right out the gates but then fades, which prevents it from be overwhelmingly sweet. There is some clovey notes, some Dr. Pepper again. Then I get nice soft wave of tannic bitterness. Lingering flavor of bitter & finally some prune sweetness...err I mean dries plums.

M- This beer seems unique to .e in this dept. It has a lighter bodyfeel than I thought it would for a quad. It starts off tricking .e as if it is going to be a sweet cloying type, but quickly dries out, and finishes as the driest quad I've come across...but I like it.

D- Yet another good thing feom Pretty Things. I would not have been able to pick out the dried plums until the very end. I would have another for sure as the 9.0 abv is undetectable to me. I would lean towards a LA Judgement day if presented with such a win-win choice.

m1ked, Feb 07, 2010

This is a pretty thing.

A - Dark tea, cola, nice thick head that leaves pretty fast. Some pronounced cling left.

S - Banana, caramel, hard to pin down fruitiness. Nice combo. Little juicy fruit in there, too, I think.

T - Taste matches smell quite well. Nice blend of flavors.

M - Creamy, thickish, coating, bittering comes off perfectly with the sweetness.

D - Look out Westy :)

srandycarter, Feb 06, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +10%

Served into a Duvel tulip from a large bottle. Batch 3 October 2009

Pours a dark brownish red with thick white head. Reduces to some nice swirls on top with decent lacing. Smells of sugar plums and is quite sweet to the nose. Taste is less sweet and more complex. Definitely smells Belgian and that is good as I enjoy Belgian beers. The plums add a nice sweetness and the beer is perfectly tart with a dry finish. This beer is excellent and really grows on you as you continue to indulge. Mouthfeel is thin with good carbonation. Very drinkable but the high sweetness and ABV prevents extreme overindulging. Wonderful beer!

tegelaar, Feb 03, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

Batch #2, July 2009! Thanks to kkipple for sharing this.

A. Light brown, nice dusting of tan head, cloudy red-brown, good lacing. So far...

S. Pretty (ha!) good nose, lots of esters, banana, clove, brown sugar, interesting yeast character, spice, booze... the works. Probably the best part of this beer.

T. Initially sweet, sugary, dark fruit, esters, (yes!), but rather falls apart as soon as you swallow this -- turns into a medicinal, bitter, Aspirin-like mess. Unpleasant. Man, why couldn't this beer finish out better? Almost there, but dies in the end. A pity.

M / D. Quads are hard to do right. This starts out well - good nose, flavor, body is just right - but ends in a thin, bitter, ugly abrasive finish. :-( And I mean, :-(

Baby Tree, why have thou failed me?! I really wanted to like you. Baby Tree is the attractive redhead at the bar who at first agrees to go home with you, but knees you in the balls when you begin the walk to her car. Use caution.

kkipple, Jan 26, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Picked this up at Whole Foods Bowery on a recent trip to New York. Had a chance to sample this at the BBF and wanted to give it another try.

Appearance- Pours a hazy medium brown with lots of rising carbonation in the body and a nice two finger head of light brown head that sticks around for quite awhile before dying back. Medium amounts of lacing left as I drink and a touch of beading carbonation.

Smell- Interesting combination. I pick up on lots of bready malt with some sweetness and a touch of yeast. This is made more interesting by a slight whiff of tartness which I take to be the plums at work.

Taste- A rich but airy breadiness with some sweet malt showing through. Rather yeasty, which lends a banana fruitiness to the beer as well. Quite rich and complex and make more so by an very unique tart finish. Rather than come across as a sweet, dark fruit flavor, the plums add an almost lactic tartness on the finish. Very interesting and unlike other tripels I have had.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is substantial and adequately carbonated. The beer is a bit sweet but with such and interesting and complex flavor profile that it will keep you sipping.

Overall, a very good quad and unique in a very good way. I'll be having more Pretty Things in the future.

boatshoes, Jan 26, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

bomber brought back from boston by a good friend..poured into brooklyn tulip--batch 3 oct 09

a-deep brown color with nice ruby highlights..huge three finger light tan head that seemed to stick around forever...lots of chunky lacing...lots and lots of bubbles

s-lots of fruits,phenols and esters on the nose....dark fruit..raisins and figs..i dont get much plum from this...yeast character is nice ...seems very very fruity..

t-starts off with lots of dark fruits and yeasty esters....lots of raisins and again figs and some dates...a little nutty character presents itself in the middle..the finish is a weird bitter spicy sweet metallic twang....the finish knocked this one down for me..

m-a tad thin for the style and over carbonated....

d-if it werent for the finish i would want more...but i think this is one and done for me...

overall im glad i got to try this but i wouldnt seek it out and i really appreciate the bottle i received...

stoutfiend27, Jan 23, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -2%

Cherry brown color with some burgandy high lights. Small head and a bubbly lace.
Aroma was of fruits,plums,grapes and malts. Some spice hints behind the fruit.
The taste was sweet plums,grape notes with malt backing. Medium body,clean finish.Medium carbonation.

Notes: Much lighter than expected,easy to drink.It was good,but for the style I do not think I would choose this again.Just too heavy on plums and grapes.

Lexluthor33, Jan 22, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch #2, July 2009

a: This was a deep, dark, and shiny coppery ruby color. It poured into my new White Birch glass (thanks Bill!) with a thick, frothy, light tan colored head that faded to clumpy lace.

s: Baby Tree gives off soft and enticing aromas. The candied sugar plays nicely off the sweet raisin and plum aromas. This is on the spicy side for the style, I got some apple cider type spice that was very appealing. There was also a little flowery warmth coming off of this one.

t: (Dried?) plums, raisins, and to a lesser extent, apple flavors are all enhanced by a dusting of lightly sweet candied sugar. The finish dries out a bit with something spicy that I associated with apple cider, I can't describe it better that that. The alcohol is present throughout, blanketing everything, but it is decidedly in the back round.

m: Gently fizzy carbonation and a slightly viscous, velvety body.

d: I'm curious to know how large a role the dried plums played in the finished product. The effect seems subtle to me and I'm very glad for it. I really enjoyed lingering over this, top-notch stuff.

DIM, Jan 12, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly reddish brown. Big light brown/tan-y head.

Smells like spices and yeast and a bit of ... tart fruit? Interesting.

Taste really doesn't have much of that sweet, dark fruit backing I think of when I think of quads. Is this really a quad? Some intersting tangy fruit, spices, a dash of brow sugar. The tanginess becomes a bit much after a while. A bit distracting.

Thanks for the chance to try!

Overlord, Jan 10, 2010

22 received in a great trade with damienblack... Andrew hooked it up!! Reviewed from a couple of notes... I've opened these with friends twice now. Thanks Andrew!!

Lite tan head with great lacing and pretty good retention.. the brew is fairly clear mahogany...

Aroma is pretty phenolic with clove and light bubblegum.. thick toasted malts and lite caramel...

Flavor has a bunch more caramel and hints of white pepper.. expected malts.. great for an American quad... figs and raisins.. reminds me alot of LaTrappe quad in my mind's palate.

Body is about perfect.. so it the carbonation..

All 4's

Edit: Funny story about one of the bottles Andrew sent me.. We took it to the GABF this year... We went to the Dr. Bill Tasting at Falling Rock. Buckeyeboy, Inflatablechair, and I all took things to the tasting that we thought people would like to taste.... This beer was one of the big hits... It was sorta funny watching.. some of the people behind the bar were actually having their picture taken with it and were very happy to have it... This was the same tasting where Stone Wall Ale, Yellow Bus, Veritas 5, all barrel Papiers were being opened.... Interesting that such an unheard of beer and brewery were being fawned over next to the hyped SoCal brews... Maybe there is a lesson there.

Andrew.. I truly appreciate the hook-up... consider me an "always" trader for you.

JohnGalt1, Jan 08, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch Three bottled Oct 09

First pour down the middle creates a large and rocky three finger head, that dissipates slowly with a soda like crackle. Once its settled a second pour down the middle yields a off white 1 and a half finger head. Columns of bubbles gathering around the glass. Color is a purplish/reddish brown. I'll call it plum(ish) brown. Appropriate for a beer made with Plums. The lacing remains a quarter of a finger, spacious and fluffy.

Nose is of Belgian yeast, dark fruit I presume plums. Yeast offers a very spicy dusty aroma. A bit rustic and wooden in the Aroma as well. Not alcoholic despite being a bigger beer. Aroma is very faint though.

At first I thought this beer had kind of an iron taste to it. I assumed it was a dirty glass but I poured in another fresh-one. Maybe its my palate but it soon faded away to big notes of Plum and it was quite pleasant. Beer is slightly sweet with warm notes of alcohol. Other then plum I got Belgian yeast and very little from the malt.

Bitterness and carbonation are very low. Body is lighter then the color and ABV would suggest. Mouthfeel is both creamy and dusty.

Overall this a pretty easy drinking Quad. I was taking big gulps trying to decipher all the flavors. I don't know much about the style having had only one other Quad in my life, but upon reading the description, I'd like to see more malt flavor in this beer. It fits the bottles description but not I guess the letter of what a Quad is. Also very few phenols, or clove like flavors. As a beer this a great a representation of the style maybe not. Its up to decide if thats necessary or if the beer is fine on its own. It isn't that complex, so if its a complex and strange Belgian ale your looking for this isn't it.

MaxBrews, Jan 06, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to Joe for turning me on to this brewery!

22oz bomber poured into a tulip. Dark red/brown "quad" color as I would call it - but perhaps a little lighter than a typical quad.

Nice head on it with a good amount of lacing.

A fruitier than usual take on a quad - very very drinkable. And it gets better as it warms up. I thoroughly enjoyed this one (as did my guests).

Next review!

ScreamForMe, Jan 06, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Why not? Another regional option.

Appearance- Very deep brown. Dark chestnut. Inch of nice creamy head. Laces great.

Smell- Pretty sweet. Nice with cherry and plums. More booze than expected.

Taste- More like a brown ale than anything. It has that malty sweetness, without the depth of flavor.

Mouthfeel- Thinner than expected.

Drinkability- I'd have another. Except it's a tad heavy.

Pretty good beer. Not really as interesting as belgian quads. But still nice.

callmescraps, Dec 31, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to jjayjaye for tossing this into an excellent fall trade. This is one of the final two remaining bottles, & I fear the other shall not be long for this world either.

Pours a deep, mushy burgundy, with a bit of floaty in the very bottom of the bottle. Smells like a quad - sweet, intensely fruity. Love it.

Baby Tree is a confused kid, I'm unsure if this wants to be a plum beer or a quad. The dark, bearish fruits of a quad are here, but the plums come up & kick hard immediately afterwards, taking some of the sting out of the sweetness & levelling the whole concoction out some. Underneath that cat fight is just a sliver of bread, a suprisingly strong blow of alcohol, & candied sugar, of course.

This is pretty light, well-carbonated for a quad, which gives it a different slant. Not better or worse, it's just interesting to have a quad that quaffs more like a sparkling ale that a dead pool of quicksilver.

Excellent brew, that gets better as it warms. A very nice twist on the style in more ways than one.

maximum12, Dec 30, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured 22oz to tulip.

Appearance: Hazy dull brown, not incredibly attractive. Looks interesting, but not beautiful. Poured about 2 fingers head, a lot more than I expected, but died down soon after pouring.

Nosel: Belgian for sure, warm, some alcohol booziness, but not unpleasant. Something floral in the nose, not hops. Interesting.

Taste: Very good. Belgian yeast, honey, mild booziness or alcohol warmth/sweetness, some nutty malts, and almost a syrupy sweetness near the end.

Mouthfeel: Round. Bordering on too round for me. Mild carbonation, well done. Fits the beer perfectly.

Drinkability: Very good. Well crafted and understated beer. Balanced, flavorful, refreshing. I like it quite a bit, starting to really trust Pretty Things.

nanertak, Dec 27, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a dark brown color with some honey highlights; short tight head that settled into a light ring. The aroma is quite faint; some barely noticable dark fruit notes and yeasty phenols but that is it. The taste is big on fruity sweetness with some cherry and grape juice flavors which transitions into a raspberry tartness. It has a light earthy characteristic but it is short lived in the fruity flavors. Seems to have more of a fresh fruit juice flavor over your typical boozy dark fruit flavors of most Quads/BSDAs. The feel is light and extremely fizzy, kind of burns the tongue; sweet on the finish. A decent Quad, seems to be lighter and more refreshing than others in the style. The flavors are kept in check, nothing cloying. Good to try if you want something sweet and refreshing but not overly boozy.

Gmann, Dec 25, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a half-full growler into a tulip.

A: Vigorous pour yields a 3/4 finger fine, yellowish-brown cream colored head with little retention, devloping into a thin film rather quickly. Brew itself is a stunning semi-clear purple. Lacing is spotty, almost non-existent

S: Nose is Belgian yeast, a bit boozy, and a hint of ripe grapes and fruit gummies. Maybe a slightly detectable cranberry?

T: Yeasty and spicy notes up front. Cloves, ripe and semi-ripe fruit throughout with a smoky presence towards the later part of the experience. Grapes in the finish though this goes away rather quickly.

M: Medium bodied, a bit carbonated but with a sense of oiliness also. Very smooth and the 8.7% alcohol is barely noticeable. Finishes very clean, leaving near non aftertaste.

D: Overall not the most intriguing beer in an otherwise complex style. Everything is just ok here. The one part of Baby Tree that stands out is the mouthfeel. Very smooth, goes down easy and this significantly enhances the drinkability of a beer that is otherwise really average.

SpeedwayJim, Dec 22, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

A= dark brown color with amber highlights when held to the light. The amber highlights are quite dark as well however. The head on it is a nice finger high and pretty steady as it sits on top of my glass. Some decent lacing is showing up as well.

S= All i really get is the plums in this one.... Kinda muted for a quad. After it warms up you get some more dark fruit like prunes and a sort of raisin odor. There is also a little bit of belgian yeasty esteryness to it. Like I mentioned it smells muted to me.

T= Tastes like a solid quad nothing really special. Dark fruits and of course the plums. Not a bad tasting beer at all however it is quiet for a quad like the smell led me to believe. toward the back of the tongue and going down the throat you get some nice esters which are really nice and not over powering. A little bready as well. Lots of pear and apple flavor in the ester finish.

M= Too light and not nearly lasting or coating enough for a quad. The mouthfeel on this is quite disappointing.

D= pretty good beer. Nothing special and actually a little disappointing for a quad. I'll buy this beer again for sure to throw in a cellar and just because I like the art of the bottle and want to help this brewery do great things. Like I mentioned nothing wrong with it it's just not my kinda quad.

jjanega08, Dec 21, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

"Bottled April 2009, First Batch" Opaque dark brown with a light, beige head. Continental bubble retention throws up some splashy lace.

Smells of spicy tropical fruit (like a Belgian monk fermented some Starburst), prune, and a charred firewood kind of caramel.

Plum, spice, and woody chocolate powder. Airy and lighter than most quads but also muddled and kinda eh. No lingering aftertaste to demand the next sip, the flavor dissapears with the swallow.

I hear tell Pretty Things tweaked batch 2 so I may give that a go but I'm pretty (ha!) all set with batch 1.

donkeyrunner, Dec 21, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

"...way out in the sea, where the babies they all grow on trees." The label has babies growing in a tree, like apples, done in a fanciful, and well rendered, artwork. Hope the beer inside the bottle is done equally artfully.

It pours a thick red brown, topped momentarily by beige foam that retreats quickly to a skim and floating amoebae. Something in the look isn't right, I don't know, I think it may actually be a color picked up from plum, a color not normally found in beer.

Mmmm, the smell is full of ripe plum, tart and sweet yeasty notes, a light hint of citrus, even lighter notes of earth and alcohol.

I do not care for plum wine. I was afraid the plum here would keep me from liking this quad, a style I generally enjoy. The sip starts with plum and light caramel. Then it kinda morphs into a nice, different blend of flavor, very well mixed, full of a subtle but assertive bitterness that leads to a finish of alcohol, dark notes of plum, and that subtle bitter back. The plum in this is good, it adds a nice tart and sparkly feel, and an interesting flavor, to the party. But, tasty as it is, this is pretty much a one trick pony. It lacks the estery complexity that marks this style, the deep malt notes, the bitter balance, and the long finish.

Mouthfeel doesn't get a great rating because of low carb. (for a quad), body too thin, and a slightly artificial feel to the cling of bitter in the finish.

Drinkability is not bad, only because it is so light in the mouth you can sip more passionately.

Impression: Good, not great. Perhaps will improve with age.

cavedave, Dec 20, 2009