Babayaga - Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

BabayagaBabayaga

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.00% ABV

"Our winter seasonal beer, Babayaga is a 7% export-strength woodland stout. We smoked some malt with rosemary, and added a few other embellishments. This beer is inspired by Eastern European folklore, by woodland, streams, cold dark nights and woodsmoke.

This was brewed at Westport, MA by Dann and Martha with help from our friends Adam and Br. Brian. The mash contained over 4000lb of malt (the biggest beer we've done) and there were also rye, oats and wheat in the grist. Fermented with a mix of English and Belgian yeast strains."

(Beer added by: m1ked on 11-10-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Babayaga Alström Bros
4.16/5  rDev +5.6%

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles and I have taken to enlisting aid in doing so. The real logjam comes in the form of bombers. Do not misunderstand me, I am capable of drinking the contents of a bomber by myself, but I am hesitant to do so. Bomb(er)s away!

A little backstory on this one: The bottleneck sticker reads"Bottled October 2011" and it was presented to me on my 47th birthday (25 Feb 2012) by my doppelganger clonsin, Jim Barnes, who was repping for Pretty Things at the time. Justin Chlan and I were now joined by one of my former mentors, Tom "Beek" Biechler on the porch.

From the bottle: "Good Time Artisinal Beers"; "Sylvan Stout".

After popping the cap, I gave everyone a generous pour. This created a finger of dense, deep-tan/light-brown head with good retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. Nose was really rich - molasses, anise, light charcoal, vanilla. Mouthfeel was surprisingly only medium. The taste was semi-sweet with flavors including dried dark fruits, dark chocolate and a little bit of smokiness. The finish was dry and smoky and we decided to go in a different direction for our next beer.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%