Once Upon A Time 1901 KK - Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

Once Upon A Time 1901 KKOnce Upon A Time 1901 KK

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Strong Ale |  7.80% ABV

English Strong / Old Ale, or thereabouts.

(Beer added by: EPICAC on 10-12-2010)

sweisel80, Mar 24, 2012

bcostner1, Apr 07, 2013
2.13/5  rDev -45%

I'm a Pretty Things fan-boy and a New Englander to boot. Love the Kk story, but the tatse doesn't match the narrative.

A: Very dark. Little head.

S: Hard to say. Not much here.

T: Worst black IPA I've ever had. There is a slight polystyrene aftertaste to this beer. Not good.

M: Good carbo. Moderate weight.

D: Besides the bad taste, this beer is medium weight without any perceived impact of the ABV

telecomz, Nov 07, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -31.5%

A: Brown/Black with a light brown head. Head dissipates over a couple minutes.

S: Chocolate and wet laundry.

T: Sourish black IPA hops but the sour isn't a good sour in this one. The funk/sour taste and the hoppy floral bitterness didn't come together right in this one for me

M: A large amount of carbonation was the saving grace of this beer for me.

D: Not a fan of this beer. The funk/sourness is off the charts with the strange intermixing of floral bitterness didn't work for my palate.

gregshead, Oct 25, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

chakadrum, Feb 09, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Rich thick brown head. Very dark brown, almost black opaque body.

Dark sugar molasses sweetness in the nose. Can also pick up burned or charred notes.

There is a sharp acrid bitterness in the flavor that is more than just hop bitterness. It's a long lingering unpleasant bitterness, but intriguing nonetheless. I wonder how they do it. Is this from the "caramelized brewing sugars"?

Anyway, the mouth feel is cloying and coats the mouth, so I don't find it to be very drinkable at this point.

However, I do believe there is something here. My gut tells me that after a year in the cellar this could be a fantastic beer. So I will rate it "as is" for now, and re-rate a year from now.

Naugled, Nov 24, 2010
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

An aggressive pours yields a chestnut brown body with a bubbly/foamy dark tan colored cap. Sheets of lace coat the sides.

Sweet citrus rind, fresh grass, licorice, molasses, toffee, cocoa powder and a good amount of roasted dark malt. Not a bad smeller, but just a little all over the place for me. I like my old ales less hoppy and more boozy.

Citrus rind hits the palate first with cocoa powder quickly in tow. Molasses and toffee through the middle before a quick burst of grapefruit and a heavy rush of carbonation that was definitely unwelcome. The aftertaste was bitter grapefruit, metal, and soap all wrapped up in that huge rush of carbonation.

Medium body and overly carbonated. This guy would sit much better with me if the carbonation wasn't so high.

Granted the flavors and aromas as a whole are good, this just did not work for me. I gave it the whole bottle to win me over, but it was largely below average.

ColForbinBC, Dec 18, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

Was excited for this one given how good this brewery is. Very nice appearance. Opaque deep brown with burgundy edges and chocolate colored head which dissipates quickly. Intense aroma - floral, nutty, spicy. Had half of 22oz prior to eating and really didn't like it. Had really odd and annoying aftertaste that overpowered initial taste. Had second half with food and was much better. Slight cramel, dry chocolaten cherry. Ultimately too dry and too much of an aftertaste for my liking. Will stick with just one.

EtOHMD, Nov 11, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've been really looking forward to trying this brew. Not sure exactly why, but have had a good feeling after seeing this one released. Let's see how my instincts fair. 22oz bottle...

A: Super thick black with absolutely no light shining through. A humongous 2 inch mocha head that fades slowly. This is an old ale? Looks like a stout. Very good.

S: I get some coriander and mustard scents upfront. some bready lunch meat in the middle. Sheesh. Some very slight cherries. Kind of weird.

T: I get some sweet faint cinnamon, sparkling water, and spices upfront. A little roasty chocolate in the middle with some grassy bitterness. Ok. Guess my instinct radar is a little off today.

M: Full bodied with a huge carbonation. Kind of a dry finish. Decent.

D: Once you get past the heavy carbonation. This goes down.

All in all, this is very over carbonated. I guess my instincts are a little off today. Ah, can't win them all. I think that if you like sparkling water, then you will enjoy this, otherwise nothing to offer to the style.

steve8robin, Nov 25, 2010

Photekut, May 19, 2013

mcss, Jun 26, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

wn to my last Blind Beer A- 4 Pours out porter looking with a dark cola coloration. It collects in the bowl of my Duvel glass much darker. The head unabashedly leaves light tan lacing S- 3.5 this smell is interesting, and I'm having a hard time describing it. Its not smoke, ash and roast with a dessert like aroma. Caramel? Vanilla? Chocolate? All three? There is some buttery diacytl as well T- 3 Damn roasty, nearly too roasty. Dry black cocoa with a hop kick at the end. Butter is throughout too M- 3 Dry, dry, dry. Long lingering roasty bitterness. Its pretty aggressive and invasive D- 2.5 Low drinkability for me. Its just SOOO burnt With the level of diacetyl here I'm thinking this is a stout with a problem or perhaps some English beer The reveal: Another Pretty Thing! And a want at that. November 15th 1901 KK. Very interesting, its listed as an Old Ale

MbpBugeye, Dec 30, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

22oz bottle poured into a Pretty Things wine glass. Big thanks to apollokim for providing the bottle and glass in the 'You Ain't From Around Here?' BIF, cheers Kim!

This is an interesting beer from a cool concept project that Pretty Things has. They find original recipes of beers that were made a long time ago and brew them exactly the same. Vintage beer, but can it stand up to the tests of time?

A - Pours a slick black color with dark brown highlights. 2.5-fingers of head rest on top, tannish in color but with pretty good retention. The consistency of the head is rather rocky with big bubbles interspersed among the foamy cap. The lacing is pretty good, but not up to the par of other Pretty Things beers I've seen in the past!

S - The smell on this is very interesting. The hops are more spicy and earthy than what I was expecting, and there's some type of peppery note I'm getting as well. As it lingers, I'm getting floral hops that are herbal to the point of bordering on tea qualities. Beneath is a slight roast with chocolate, but it is hidden well.

T - Wow. The taste on this is definitely eye-opening. The malts are glossed over and it is bursting with hops; grassy, floral, herbal, earthy hops. There's some fruit in the finish, but for the most part this is a gritty, dirty beer. In the finish, a strong roast comes through as the malts finally penetrate the hops, bringing some chocolate as well. The finish is incredibly bitter, lasting for ages and not letting you out of its grip. It's interesting for sure, but can't exactly say it's up my alley.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with decent carbonation. I feel this could benefit from a little more carbonation and a bit more body to it. It doesn't come off as watery, but it doesn't exactly make a presence in the mouth besides the extreme bitter finish.

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. I would be happy with this beer in 12oz as it's interesting and I think the concept is awesome, but the way the hops and malts mingle in this beer, I am not sure I'd want much more than that. Best enjoyed in moderation, drink this one with friends.

nhindian, Jul 03, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours near black with shades of brown penetrating the body in the light with about an inch of mocha colored head that is creamy and leaves a ring of lace. The smell is bitter, fruity and chocolatey with vanilla and caramel. Really bitter up front, the hop presences in most notable with sweeter aromas lingering behind a barricade of hops. The taste follows the aroma pretty well, the forefront is sweet with caramel, chocolate and fruit and finishes with bitter hops. It's really quite strange. The mouthfeel is pretty good, full and nicely carbonated, but when it comes down to it, I think this one is just a bit odd for me to really have a lot of it and want to drink it more than this one time.

Bendurgin, Nov 04, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint, the beer is a dark, vibrant, slightly hazed, amber-brown coloring with a frothy, foamy, off-white head that starts around an inch, but quickly settles into a filmy coating. Aromas of rich toffee sweetness on a biscuit backbone, with hints of roast and old world fruit sweetness. Some raisin and fig on the nose in highlights. Flavors are roasty, also, with date, raisin, plum, and fig blending on the forward tongue. Boozy and earthy backbone, with a tangy, bitter hops presence at the end of the palate. The end of the beer becomes a bit unbalanced, leading to a bitter and astringent aftertaste, with a very dry finish. Started off promising, but this one started to spiral towards the end.

GarthDanielson, May 24, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -16%

doremite, Jun 19, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a near black with a big tight tan head that sticks well around the glass. Scents of molasses, licorice, butter toffee, mocha, spicy hop aromas but in the back behind the big dark malt profile. Huge malt profile with all of the aspects of the aroma involved chewy not in a good way. Where are the hops is this brew. Did they fade or is this they way it was meant to taste

BigPapiBrewingCo, Jul 17, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

A: Very dark brown, black appearance. Dark tan head fades into moderate lacing quickly.

S: Whoa. Lots of rich bittersweet and dark chocolates, pumpernickel, old oak, vanilla beans, hops. Malted barley is big in the aroma.

T: Supremely bitter hops immediately take over the entire flavor in the initial sip. Through the gargantuan hop flavor there are notes of vanilla, maple, chocolate, burnt coffee, and rye and pumpernickel bread. A complex flavor which hardly grew at all on me through the whole bottle.

M: Bitter as a millionaires Ex-wife who didn't sign the prenup. Sweet and sticky, medium body, medium to high carb.

D: I admit it gets better after every sip, but the hops are too abrasive for my personal taste.

YouSkeete, Jan 25, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

a - popped the bottle and filled my portsmouth sniftery tulip. poured an almost black with a reddish tint, and settled black in the glass with a pretty generous yellowy white frothy head that hung around for a while. kind of porter looking with a stouty head. lacing left footprints all over the glass.

s - nice spicy kick with great hop presence and a solid malt backbone. quite balanced. some brown sugar sweetness in the background.

t - wow...same spicy kick in the smell is SUPER amplified in the flavor. pretty intense. at first it seemed too much...extreme bitterness with an odd angle to it...kind of peppery. the spiciness never really went away, but I did become acclimated to it and once I did the malts took the lead, but the hoppy bitterness mixed with the spiciness was still fairly present. the spiciness might be coming from the heat in the beer since it seems pretty evident that there is alcohol in this beer.

m - on my first sip, this is a beer that i felt in my nose (if you know what I mean). alc is a bit strong and the bittery spiciness is also a bit much.

o - overall, the bottle says that this is a Hoppy Black Ale...BA tells me it is an English Strong Ale...either way seems pretty unique to me. As I drank more and more of this, I found myself liking it more, but not one I'll be looking for. I think the concept of this beer is pretty cool, but then when I think about it...this beer was brewed a long time ago and not really since...makes you wonder, perhaps there was a reason? perhaps not? in any event, pretty things is somewhat hit or miss for me and they definitely have an underlying flavor to their brews, but some that I taste really make me think that they should just stick with Jack D'Or, Baby Tree, and Our Finest Regards. definitely worth picking up if you are curious, but you might want to get one bottle at a time since I can definitely see this as being a polarizing beer. Had to give it a 3.5 since there is nothing average about this beer at all.

cosmicevan, May 13, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

Quite dark in colour, but with a coppery orange hue around the edges. A thick, dense brown cap formed after the pour, which stuck around for a while. Clumpy lacing at first, followed by thick sheets coating the glass. The aroma is... interesting - and not something I remember running across before. It seems to be a combination of dark kilned malts and earthy hops that have a dirty citrus edge to them, not in a bad way but very unique. There's a spiciness as well, sort of cinnamon, that plays well with the fruitier notes. Rough bitterness, powerful and unrefined, piney with toffee sweetness backing it up. Malt presence was complemented by roast and dried fruit/raisin character, perhaps a bit of smoke. Again, very earthy. Hop bitterness lingered in the finish and was obviously destroying my palate. Full bodied with lowish carbonation, smooth and nearly creamy in texture, light alcohol warmth with a hint of astringency. Overall I liked it as an experiment, but the coarse nature of the bitterness was a bit much.

DrJay, Oct 23, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The "k" represents a "kept" beer & glad I did just that. The appearance is a beauty, w/ a frothy beige head & deep brown hue. Smells of chocolate nougat & overripe plums. True to the label description; it's a hoppy black ale. The blending of the dark malt w/ the English hops is the key to this beer. Really digging the aftertaste. Roasted bitter chocolate sweetness on the end....the best part, because it makes you come back for more. Love this series of historical recreations.

July2Nov, Jun 13, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to FooFaa for sharing this bomber on 10/24/10.

A - Poured a deep brown liquid with robust garnet tones and a creamy tan head that reduced to a thin ring of retention and some spotty lace around the glass.

S - Initial aroma is quite woody with a charred, almost burnt malt character that imparts an ashy quality. A hint of citrus rind and chocolate notes emerge as the liquid warmed up a bit.

T - Ashy, woody and earthy with a hint of semi-sweet chocolate notes to add a bit of contrast. Mild tobacco leaf creeps into the mix as well. Malt character is on the nutty side, lending a bit of astringency. Finishes with an assertive hop bite.

M - Medium bodied with a creamy texture and modest carbonation providing just a hint of bristle on the tongue. Finishes with fairly aggressive, semi-dry hop bitterness that lingers for a while on the palate. Quite astringent as well.

D - Interesting but not something that I'd really want to drink again. I found this to be a bit too bitter and astringent overall, which hindered the drinkability.

ffejherb, Oct 26, 2010