Magnifico - Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project

MagnificoMagnifico

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  3.40% ABV

"Do you ask, “Who is a ¡Magnifico!”? IT IS A PITY TO ASK SUCH A QUESTION! Dear friends Magnifico is one of our most favorite seasonal offerings -our friendliest beer ever. In 2011 we slip him into our line-up without fuss, all by ourselves on a private world-party tour of a small part of Boston. We swear nobody comes, but no admonishments!

This year, he says hello again my friends and this time he’s in bottle too."

(Beer added by: OldIronLungs on 08-08-2011)

2.5/5  rDev -33%

2.5/5  rDev -33%

2.73/5  rDev -26.8%

Bottled on: Aug 2013 (?)
A: bright hay with orange hints
S: like an average commercial lager or light ale; corny not hoppy (like the label says).
T: very steely and flat tasting. Tinny. Lifeless. Finishes clean and fast. Not offensive just absolutely forgettable. And certainly not "fun and happy".
M: light bodied. Bang on for a session beer.
O: This beer may have been stale but if I bought it at a reputable bottle shop so trusted their stocking. Major disappointment from one of my favourite breweries.

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

S: Bitter, perfume-like hops, light grapefruit peel

L: Cloudy golden yellow, creamy white head dissipates. Decent lacing.

T: Bitter, dry maltiness up front. Medium high herbal/citrusy bitterness with some herbal hop flavor. Light malt character with a dry, slightly chalky finish.

M: Medium light bodied, medium carbonation.

Kind of an older bottle (June 2012). So maybe unfair to judge, but not a huge fan of this beer. Very bitter and dry.

3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

I really like most Pretty Things offerings, this one's a bit of an anomaly. Pours an opaque yellow, aroma is really off putting. For lack of a better description, almost like burnt vomit, I really don't like the aroma of this beer.

Taste is decent with a twang of hoppiness and a dry finish. Glad I tried it but I won't be buying this one again. There was no way to tell if this was an older bottle or not since the dating system was not used (Bottled in <month> <year> nothing being selected)

3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

I have grown tired of looking at the massive bottle backlog here at Chez Woody and I have decided t do something about it! Namely, it's total and utter eradication. For me, the toughest part is/are the bombers, since while I could easily drink one by myself, I really do not want to. I am routinely opening the porch to visitors to enlist their aid in this endeavor and last night, Mike, a high school classmate sto pped by to help me put a dent in things. A little background on this one - it was a closeout at The Friendly Greek's Bottle Shop during a recent brewery tasting that they hosted and a fellow beerhead told me that it was aged and beyond its prime, but at the price point, it was a steal. I decided to take the chance and also to help out The Greek, who has always been very, very good to me.

From the label: "Bottled in: June 2012 Thank you for drinking our beers"; "Forget everything you know about low gravity beers! Okay, remember some of it, but check this out: it's a fun, HOPPY, fun, happy homage to the greatness of beer without all the 'I love you man' at the end ... AND it's Magnifico!"; "Pour with gusto down the center of a big glass, pausing to allow head to settle, then continue. Be patient for best enjoyment!"

I had it chilling on its side in the cooler, but when I pulled it out and held it upright, i noticed a LOT of floaties, so we quickfat put it into The Beerfirgerator for a period of time to allow for settling and flocculation. It worked! The initial pour was VERY gentle, though. This resulted in a simple skim of bone-white head. Color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 4 - 5). Nose had both an old newspaper mustiness and a lemon zestiness. Mouthfeel was medium. Taste was bitter, almost astringent, much akin to what I had experienced in a Calypso single-hop beer. Finish was really dry, but the astringency was a bit much, even for me. Oh well, I got my money's worth and then some, so it all worked out.

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

Bright gold with a very large, very Belgian thick, fluffy head. Looks magnifico indeed.

Strong aroma of course grain and swampy hops. A little buttery. Tastes like it smells: course grain and a boat load of swampy ass hops. Very sharp and dry mouthfeel.

Dry, swampy and nasty. A love it or hate it beer I guess. I'm party to the latter.

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours thick, almost milky pale yellow with a white foamy head that does not last.

Grain husk and dusty yeast in the nose. Dry harsh aromas.

Bitter, harsh, watered-down flavors. Grain husk, earthy yeast, some spice. The malt needs some level of sugar, and there is none. Long and bitter in the end.

Lighter bodied, carbonated, a little watery.

Not something I'd wan t again. An experiment gone wrong. Nothing you want to session or even share. Not wholly undrinkable, and the structure is appropriate, so I cannot give them strikes for it. But I did not enjoy this. A rare miscue by this brewery.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

On-tap at Salty Pig. Served in a pint glass.

A- Appears a slightly orange golden color with about a finger of white foamy head with good retention. About average to slightly above average carbonation. Leaves some lacing.

S- Grainy, floral notes, some lemon zest, hops, a little grassy.

T- Grainy, some lemon zest, light spices, hay, light hops, some floral characteristics, finishes very bitter.

M- Light, bitterness + carbonation adds a little bit of a tingly feeling to the feel, slightly above average carbonation.

O- I wasn't a huge fan of this beer. It was definitely a little bit overly bitter for me. For 3.4% abv it didn't have a ton of flavor, and the flavor present I didn't really care for. It was just too bitter and grainy and tasted more like a farmhouse. I probably wouldn't session this beer, but it might just be my preferences. There are plenty other BPAs I prefer. For now I'm going to stick with some of Pretty Things' other beers- I like a lot of their stuff.

3.31/5  rDev -11.3%

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, brooklynbrews!

A slightly hazed darker apricot or peach skin in color. Very persistent, whipped-cream style, near-white head. Lots of sticky lacing left all the way down the glass. A gorgeous beer, no matter how you slice it. Truly something special to admire in the glass.

Not a very expressive aroma, even after a little bit of warming. Some toast and mild biscuit, with just a touch of a fruity hop character I would call apricot.

Surprising bitterness leads the way, along with mild straw, and a little bit of lingering apricot hop character finish. Cracker and pale malts throughout. Very drinkable. A bit of an earth or dirt character as well. Nice, but nothing standout about it.

Medium bodied with near-high carbonation.

A tasty little low ABV number, but unexciting almost across the board.

3.39/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a snifter.

3.25 A: Lightly hazed light orange color. One and a half fingers of pillowy white head. Retention is about average and just a wisp or two of lacing are left.

3.25 S: Dank hoppiness which is allowed to shine due to the lack of tons of malt. Floral, herbal, and earthy. Just a hint of spicy yeastiness. Not a lot going on, but it works.

3.5 T: Taste is like the nose, but better. Floral, herbal, earthy hops. Mild bitterness. Touch of spice. It's just a sessionable way to drink hops.

3.5 M: Lighter body. Maybe a hint too much carbonation, but good enough. Not really creamy, but smooth.

3.25 D: It's decent for what it is, though I definitely prefer more flavorful brews.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%