Join our email list →

Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project
Massachusetts, United States | website

American IPA | 7.00% ABV

Beer added by: silentjay on 06-29-2012

Meadowlark IPA is a new juicy and floral hoppy, hoppy ale we brewed to celebrate the flavor and spirit of American craft brewing. This 7% alcohol beer has a sunny orange-yellow colour, 85 International Bittering Units, a smooth mouthfeel and layer upon layer of soft flowery hops. We wove earthy Citra and bitter Bravo hops from the Pacific Northwest with intensely fruity and aromatic Galaxy hops from Australia. The malts are pale malt & mild ale malt, pale crystal (1.3% of the grist), flaked barley with malty highlights from Munich malt and a bijoux of Roasted Barley. The resulting patchwork is as “American” tasting as short ribs and slaw, and provides an excellent accompaniment to that kind of food too! Very hoppy and bitter. Yum.

In the Spring of 2012 Martha became a US citizen and shortly after we embarked on a cross country trek by car, from our headquarters in Somerville, Massachusetts to San Diego with stops at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Kansas City, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Denver. There was a lot of barbecue and craft beer along the way and it was a sprint rather than a crawl, but the trip provided more than enough inspiration for our first ever American-style beer. From clambering over the red rocks of Utah to buying cowboy boots in a chicken-and-feed store in Arizona, we had an American adventure, ending up at the Craft Brewers’ Conference in San Diego. On the way, we also brewed our first ever collaboration beer with Boulevard Brewing Company in Kansas City, a Yorkshire Stingo.

We’re flattered that some people are surprised to hear that Pretty Things is making an American IPA. Martha and I spent almost three years in England, a vast beer paradise mind you, often craving hoppy American beers. These beers are very much part of the great fabric of the beer world just as bitter or bock or lambic, saison or stout. It would be a true omission if we left this one out. Also, I (Dann) spent two decades working in breweries here in the U.S. making and perfecting IPA’s. Perhaps you’ve never heard of any of these but I formulated and brewed hoppy beers like North East Brewing Company’s “Lobsterback IPA” (1996-2001), Concord IPA (2002-2004), Rapscallion Blessing (2002-2004), Haverhill’s “Leatherlips IPA” and “Supershow 69″(2005?). It’s part of my heritage as a first-generation craft brewer and I very much feel a need to express and enjoy this.

Also, this beer was a chance to reunite with an old friend and former Head Brewer of Boston’s Tremont Brewery: Jeff Biegert. Jeff and I would occasionally secretly brew together back in the mid-1990’s before brewer “collaborations” were a thing. Fifteen years or so later here we were again, and Martha and I brought in Jeff to help brainstorm the perfect American IPA. We really think Jeff’s work on creating the perfect water profile was the start of a great beer. So cheers for indulging us and we truly hope you enjoy this one – we sure worked hard on making it a great IPA for you!

I feel like if I could marry a beer that so far this one is on the list. I love this beer. Some of the long time established breweries dont even have an IPA as tasty as this one. This came out of no where for me and I can't stop buying it. I havent been to the brewery and I havent had this one on tap yet but I welcome it and cant wait

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Very much looking forward to drinking this beer because of a recent hiatus from craft beer due to fiscal irresponsibility and a resulting hop craving for the past few weeks. Pairing it with the song "Meadowlarks" from Fleet Foxes.

Bottled in: AUG 2012, so it's the second batch.

A: Beautiful, clear, golden-orange in color with a big, fluffy, pillowy, white head. Huge, sticky lace and decent retention.

S: Massive resiny, piney, earthy hops. A bit of malt. Some heat from the booze. Wonderful nose.

T: The dry, piney, resinous, earthy, floral hops are just what I needed. The fresh hop flavor can't be beat. And of course, not to be outdone by other American IPA's, a perfect amount of malt in the finish to balance this incredible beer. Every aspect of this brew is outstanding. I'm not kidding. Top notch. World class. I don't see how an American IPA can be better in this category.

M: Delicious straight from the bottle or allowed to warm up for an extended period of time. The flavors are incredible. If there is an epitome of the style, this could be it. Again, I just cannot see an American IPA being better here.

O: Surpassed my expectations and they were nearly as high as can be. Can Pretty Things do no wrong? I think so.

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Smells of peach and passionfruit are plainly evident in the aroma due to the addition of galaxy hops. Taste is ever so slightly creamy with the following feel/taste on the back of the palate giving the only semblance that what you are drinking is in fact an IPA.

4.81/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked this up at ABC the other day. I was surprised to see it here in Florida. It had a bottled on date of 9-2014. Not good but I got it anyway. Pours an ok looking head with good retention. Slightly cloudy honey color. The smell is noticed as soon as the cap is opened. Smells very floral with typical hop aroma. There is something about the nose that I just think is perfect. The taste is out of this world! How is this possible with an almost year old IPA? This beer is perfectly balanced with not to much bitterness and not too malty like you would have expected from a older beer. I think this has aged perfectly. I can only wonder what this tastes like fresh. If I ever get up to Massachusetts I will definitely be seeking this out, meanwhile I'm going back to ABC to get the rest of there inventory of this incredible flavorful beer. Update, apparently Pretty Things is now available in Florida, ya. Picked up another bomber. This one dated 6-2015. As expected its much more hop forward than the year old one a had the other day. This IPA is still just about perfect. Very creamy, sweet and hoppy all perfectly balanced into a world class IPA. 1-2016 update, picked up my final Meadowlark last week, sad to see that they are retiring the brewery. This bottle dates to 8-2015 so not that fresh but not like my first bottle. Like always this beer is amazing! Great head with thick Foamy bottle lacing. Smell is a little weak this time around but the taste is perfect as always. Not a hop bomb, not to malty, just right. I'm somewhat sad drinking this since it's the one I will ever have

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

22 oz Bottle into my NERAX snifter. Just finished a run, so I'm thirsty.

Excited about Pretty Things making an IPA. I've had a few over the past few days, now time to review.

A - pours nicely with some creamy head. Not overly foamy. Transparent golden yellow (orange?) color.
S - fresh hop fragrence. Floral, not overpowering. Delicate even.
T - This is the one that matters, and Pretty Things nails it. Nice balance between hops and malt. Not a hop or alcohol bomb, just a smooth IPA. Hop bitterness is there and lingers, fruity citrus, and just enough malt to let you know it is beer.
M - little bitter, resiny, but not too chewy.
O - I like it a lot. It's a different experience than some of the big hop IPAs out there.

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a lightly orange color, with a slightly foamy head. That head disappears rapidly. There isn't a lot of hop aroma, but what there is has a little bit of grapefruit rind.

The body is pure American IPA. Very pleasing on the tongue and palate. The body is very gentle and pleasing it would be a great IPA on a hot day. The hops give a very cleansing effect on the tongue.

You can feel the alcohol. It's letting you know you have a substantial beer here. The hoppiness is perfect for American IPA.

4.55/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Meadowlark pours a beautiful clear golden with a huge head of tight white foam. It collapses just a bit, but retains a several inches.

You can identify this as an American IPA immediately by the wonderful smell- citrus bright and hoppy, with subtle notes of biscuits and fresh bread.

Mouthfeel is moderate and wet. Absolutely perfect body and weight.

Taste is....WOW....how to put this into words? Citrusy hops up front, but not overwhelming like many American IPAs. The Galaxy and Citra hops greet the nose and the taste buds very politely but assertively, but with minimal bitterness. Notes of orange and grapefruit peel are complimented and balanced very nicely by a healthy malt profile.

Finish is wet and refreshing, with just a touch of bitter to remind you that this is an American IPA.

A superb beer. This is what an IPA should be- tasty, hoppy, with some bitter, but not an absurd amount. Incredibly tasty and thirst quenching. Whats more, this beer is absolutely sessionable, something I would not normally say about a 7% ABV brew. Highly recommended. An awesome beer.

I am beginning to form the opinion that Dann and Martha Paquette, the brewers behind Pretty Things, are to beer what Bill Belichick is to football. Seriously, neither can do any wrong in their field.

4.55/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled in July 2013

A: Clear golden hue with 2 fingers of tan slightly fizzy/creamy head. Leaves good lacing all down the glass and the head remains throughout the enjoyment of this beer. Classic look of a great IPA.

S: Lots of pine resin and grass. Hints of cantaloupe like sweetness in there.

T: Lots of hops up front. Good piney citrus flavors with a nice honey sweet finish that trails off into a good bitter aftertaste. Hints of vanilla and grapefuit mixed in as well. I like the transition from the good plentiful hop flavor up front to the honey sweetness and then the bitter aftertaste left on the palate. Each flavor transitions nicely into each other. Very good flavor profile.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and light. The carbonation does a good job of separating the hop burst from the honey sweetness.

O: Very goood IPA. I like the up front hops and the carbonation transition to the sweet/bitter honey finish. Good stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass, bottled in August, excellent. Need to thank my friend Tom for this treat. Pours a yellow orange with a one inch stick white head with plenty of lace. Smell is citrus tangerine, pineapple, mango, grass, and peach. Taste is all of that, with massive grapefruit finish that actually surprised me. Body is medium, plenty of life, not dry, and very drinkable. This is very nice, not sure of the price, but would rank this high on the list.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Meadowlark IPA is a very tasty brew...probably one of my favorites from Pretty Things. It's a shame it may only be available as a seasonal since I can see myself craving this year around. Guess I'll have to try to clone it if it isn't available ;). Anyway, taste reminds me a little of Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA or Ithaca's Flower Power, but Meadowlark definitely has it's own thing going. Wonderful aroma and mouthfeel... Nice hop flavor on the back end, similar it seems to some of their other offerings. Up front there is some slight sweetness, but quickly subdued by layers of hop intricacy. Definitely a lot of tropical flavors meshed together...very nice, indeed. Another great one from PT!

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

poured orange-ish, goldeny color with lots of nice fluffy head. the nose is incredible - lots of over-ripe fruits: mango, orange, pineapple, tangerine, etc. very citrusy though. also a little fresh floral aroma that i can't totally place. a little grassy note as well that is accompanying the sweet malty background. the taste follows the nose closely - super juicy, citrusy, i'm getting alot of pineapple and a little lime. it starts fresh and fruity but ends more bitter and dry. a sharp piney, bitterness at the end. the mouthfeel is medium and is super fresh and crisp. a favorite from a favorite (and underrated) brewery.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a: Golden orange
s: Citrus with hint of flowery fragrance
t: Crisp and refreshing with very hoppy start. Smooth with the perfect bitter finish.
m: Smooth with very nice carbonation

o: The finish is what makes this one of my favorite beers. incredibly smooth and refreshing. Pairs well with a variety of foods and is great in any season. Definitely recommend picking some up if you spot it.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottled July 2012. So only a few days old at most.

A: A slightly hazy light amber pour. Huge and effervescent white head. Fades slowly leaving pretty decent lacing behind.

S: Loaded with grapefruit and tropical fruit. Pineapple and a little tangerine stands out especially. Hint of resin and pine. Nice sweet caramel malt.

T: Nice super fresh and juicy hop flavors. Grapefruit is the main flavor but is again backed up by a little pineapple. Perhaps some mango? A bit of pine on the back end as well. A mild caramel malt is present throughout and balances nicely. Hop flavors, while bitter, are surprisingly smooth and well balanced with each other.

M: Medium bodied, just a touch drying in the aftertaste. Nice and smooth for such a hoppy IPA.

O: A really well crafted IPA. This is very close to Maine Beer Lunch. Tremendous first IPA for Pretty Things. They really hit it out of the park with this one. Flavors are balanced and complex. Drinkability is off the scale too. So smooth while still having the pleasant juicy hop bitterness. I really enjoyed this one.

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At long last, Pretty Things, my favorite local brewery brews up a beer in my favorite style. Thank you, Dann. I enjoyed a pint of PT's latest offering at the Salty Pig, a new restaurant in Boston's Back Bay that is just awesome for bacon-heads and beer nerds.

A (3.5/5): Honestly, nothing that special going on with how this beer looks. Pours a clear, light copper color and is topped with a two-finger head of white foam that retains well and leaves a bit of lacing as it settles.

S (4.5/5): This beer has a particularly good nose for an IPA, and it's not the usual grapefruit and pine going on here either. Certainly pine, citrus and tropical fruit notes are evident–grapefruit, apricot, a touch of mango–but this beer also has an unusual, though pleasant, gym sock dankness that reminds me a bit of Stone 14th Anniversary "Emperial IPA". It's just a little...stinky. Points for pungency when it comes to IPAs.

T (4.5/5): Pink grapefruit, orange, lemon, apricot, pine, and very bitter. Juicy and creamy in the foretaste before settling in for a long, bitter finish. The bitterness is of the clean and dry type, and is not overshadowed by any syrupy sweet qualities–which I consider the downfall of many IPAs–so good on ya, Pretty Things. There is a malt presence that pushes back a little bit and the beer does have a fruity side to it, but hop bitterness dominates throughout, front to back, and with a dry edge. At 60 IBUs, Meadowlark is a prime example of how it's all about the balance of hops versus malt, rather than about the quantity of hops used. Excellent taste.

M (4.5/5): Nice creaminess in the foretaste. Body is spot-on for the style, and so is its medium carbonation. A little prickly and puckering–did I mention this is a dry beer? Finish is long and leaves a hoppy aftertaste in its wake.

Overall (4.5/5): Pretty Things strikes again, this time with an India Pale Ale with stellar taste and aroma (honestly, appearance is NOT as important as those two by any stretch). It is jam-packed with hop flavor and will satisfy any hop head, so long as it's fresh–I was lucky to have a super fresh glass on draft. Dear hoppy beer fans and fiends, seek this beer out. Awesomeness.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 1 pint 6 oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled Aug 2015. Pours a nice cloudy straw color with a slight amber tint. Light head that lingers. Great citrus and hoppy notes on the nose. Fruity with a nice light bitterness and pine notes. Nice smooth feel with a bit of sharp carbonation. Overall a great American IPA. Will not hesitate to buy this one again.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

I'm from California, I now live in Manhattan. This reminds me a lot of home.

It appears like an unfiltered IPA. Whatever.

The smell reminds me a lot of Citra/Zombie dust. Fruity and citrusy. I have little experience with galaxy... Not sure if I've had a beer with galaxy hops. I had a chance to taste double galaxy at Alpine when I visited Sandiego (the guest tap), but I messed up.

This tastes awesome. The smell compliments it nicely to creat an overall enjoyable flavor.

Overall, this reminds me of home. West coast IPA influence, no doubt.

I respect this beer. Well done pretty things.

4.41/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap 8/4/2012 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a nice blend of citrus, floral hops and light caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a strong burst of grassy hops bitterness. Then some sweet flavors of citrus and caramel come in. The malt character is on the thin side but it works nicely for this particular beer and brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, very good representation of style, this is a very nice IPA to pound down for a long time.

4.41/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty Things has been a highly respected producer of ales in MA, but this is the first dip in the AIPA pool. They nail it, with this tasty (if not particularly unique) IPA. Probably my current favorite IPA from MA. Not quite the variety of flavor like HT, and not the unique flavor of a Lunch, but that's pretty good company.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Real creamy looking head with very fine bubbles and retention out of the bottle. Creamed up off white, four fingers tall, and very uniform bubble size throughout. Island pucked cap retention. Body color is shimering, bright, clear with a dark bronze orange and very interesting rising carbonation. A very strong middle column which seems very surprising, but also with others that cascade on the sides.

Fun aroma. Soft subtle hop mixing in with caramel and treacle syrup sweetness. Slightly fruity and juicy as well, lots of dry flour biscuit like aromas as well coming off. Real interesting mix on an IPA.

Palate is a big surprise. What a unique flavor. Juiced up hop fruit front that comes out with a cherry and tropical fruit note, unlike anything I've ever had before. Tangy slight fruit sweetness, with a great dry combination of soft caramel and woody to earth hop finish. Excellent balance between malt and hop, great mouthfeel with a hint of juice and rich malt thickness but not too much.

Overall, fantastic brew. Love to have this again someday.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle.

Golden orange body. Clear and clean. Finger and a half of frothy, creamy, off-white head. Great lacing. Spicy, herbal, dank, slightly pungent hop nose. Light butterscotch and candied malt underneath.

Spicy, herbal hop bitterness up front. Some toasted malt notes. Fruity (tropical), sugary malt base fills in. Pineapple, mango, and citrus hop notes into the finish. The hops in this beer are delicious, juicy, and fresh. Only moderately bitter, but the finish does dry out a bit. Lingering fruit, bitterness, and a hint of butterscotch. Medium-bodied, with a creamy feel. Very good!

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: golden yellow bodied beer with a huge white head. lacing sticking to everything.

Smell: Big fresh hops! Pine, grapefruits, lemons. Not smelling much of anything from the malts, total hop domination!

Taste: This has a really nice hops profile. Lemons and orange peel are surprisingly big hop notes in this beer and they are accompanied by grapefruit, pine, and grass. The malts are there and add some balance, but it definately hop forward with a mild to moderate hop bitterness / bite to it. Not at all an overly bitter IPA.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Easy drinking IPA, no nothable booze even at 7% ABV.

Overall: Big hop flavors, nice balance, not overly bitter, easy drinking; this is a fantastic American IPA. WOW! Pretty Things really did this beer style right! A very memorable IPA for me in a style that can get carried away with overly bitter hop profiles. It reminds me of Zombie Dust...seriously it does!

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Starts with a large, rocky head. Leaves chunks of lace on the glass as the liquid recedes. Mild haze on the otherwise dirty gold color.

Solid grapefruit, floral hop aroma. Good pale malt base. Attractive.

A true IPA with a solid malt start that gets completely dominated by a hop wallop that leaves one's mouth puckering. The swallow is like sucking a hop pellet and the aftertaste is bitter and long. The body is typical for the style.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

22 fl oz brown bottle served in a nonic.

Pale copper in color with straw and golden highlights. Bright white, dense foam of a head that plasters the nonic's sides.

Semi-sweet toasted malt; light diacetyl and mild caramel. Oily hop aromas, but not over the top; primarily melon and lime.

Fresh, sweet tropical fruit that is met by a fresh burst of pine, but it is the honeydew, lime, and cantaloupe that dominate. The semi-sweet toasted malt lends the perfect balance to the fresh, nearly intense tropical fruit hop flavors. The bitterness is strong, yet the ripe fruit cuts it a bit short. Sharp pine and citrus fill the aftertaste.

A shade more than medium bodied. Remarkably smooth and, as odd as it sounds for the style, even creamy on the palate.

Wow, what a fresh-tasting well balanced, tropical fruit-filled IPA. If this truly is Dan and Martha's first 'American' style, let's hope that there are many more to come.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours almost clear, a quick to leave off white head, some persistent lace lasts to the end of the glass.

Smell is lemon zest, sweet citrus, a bit of tart yeast, bready biscuit, neutral sweet, and a hint of cat piss.

Marvelous taste. Starts with a wash of lemon and herbal bitter, grabs onto sweet citrus and tropical goodness, even a touch of mango, ends with a wash of bitter and the smallest bit of sweet to balance.

Easy drinking to a fault, though it has plenty of cling, and a delicious clean herbal bitter sustain that rocks.

Fantastic beer, one I am certain to buy way too many of when I can, as it is fully in my IPA sweet spot.

Had this on 2012-08-19 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy gold with a 1.5-finger white head and mild-moderate lacing.

S - Sweet mango, pineapple, peach, touch of lemon. No malt. A lightish but very pleasant aroma.

T - Hop forward with a blast of hop bud and bitter followed quickly by lemon, light biscuit malt, pine, more bright citrus and an excellent and lingering grassy tea and grapefruit aftertaste with just the right touch of clinging fruit/malt/acohol sweetness to give a little balance.

M - Light-medium body and medium carbonation. Nicely smooth, oily and prickly while also drying quickly and being quite refreshing.

O - A delicious flavor bomb. I liked it as well from this fresh bottle as I did on-tap. Expensive in the bomber format ($10) but worth checking out.

Meadowlark IPA from Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project