La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-07-2002

Quadrupel is La Trappe’s heaviest ale with a stunning amber colour. Its warm and intense flavour is rich and finely balanced. Malty sweet, slightly burnt, and pleasantly bitter with a sweet aftertaste. Quadrupel continues to ferment after bottling and offers aromas of banana, almond, vanilla and others.
Reviews: 881 | Hads: 2,058
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml c&c bottle dated (as best I can determine) 10/1/14, into a Teku at fridge temp and allowed to warm.

Look: reddish-orange with thick persistent tan head.

Smell: orange peel, vanilla, banana, alcohol, nutmeg.

Taste: banana pudding, alcohol, bacon, parsley, more alcohol.

Feel: a bit syrupy at first, but then nice carbonation turns it into something more marshmallow-y, in a good way.

Overall: something tells me this beer would be much better with, say, 5 years on it. As it is, it reads too hot and disjointed. Good, but not in the same ballpark as, say, Abt-12. (573 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The smell might be too full of alcohol, the looks might remind of an average beer, but don't let that fool you: give it time, don't serve it too cold and try it in small sips. This beer has character and a very pleasant taste, full of candy cane notes of brown sugar, raisins and figs, with faint notes of plums too.
It's very smooth too and a beer to be enjoyed over a quiet meditation or pleasant conversation. (412 characters)

Undoubtedly good. Strong alcohol taste with a strong banana flavour. Not much more to say about it, really. I tried it immediately after trying old speckled hen, which really wasn't for me, so I feel that may have skewed my review in favour of this beer. It's the kind of beer I'd get again if I was in the mood for bananas. (324 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Nice beer, smells good, tastes good. Had to switch my mind set because of the color, it's reddish instead of dark. Hardly any residue in the bottle, I actually like my beer to be a bit cloudy. But all that is made up by the good taste. It's rather sweet, and doesn't feel heavy at all, considering its 10% (305 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Think I got a bad bottle. Mine had absolutely no carbonation and the taste was basically booze. First trappist beer I actually didn't like at all. For reference, Rochefort 10 is my all time favorite beer. (204 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just started getting into Trappist ales, and this is at the top of my list of both Trappist ales and any other beers I've had. The fruit/bitter mix was amazing and the abv is not even noticeable. The body is lovely. I was recommended the quad by a co-worker and I gotta say, excellent recommendation. They may be a bit up there in price but it's totally worth it. (363 characters)

L: Sediment-y, orange-brown with fluffy white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Beautiful candy sugar with dates/rainsins.

T: Sweet caramel/light raisin. Everything I want in a quad.

F: Thickish with light, tickling bubbles. Smooth, too. Medium body.

O: Wonderful balance of malts, hops, sugars. There's a reason I love Trappist ales... (340 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a chalice.

A - Poured a murky copper, two-finger billowy head.

S - Very strong plummy, estery aroma.

T - Plummy, spicy esters dominate from front to back. Booze fades in gradually, along with the roasted, grainy malt. Residual booziness and spiciness are very lively.

M - Very heavy and full-bodied, with a very light carbonation, just enough to give this beer the attack it needs.

O - Gives you everything you would want from a quad. Very lively and full of complexity. (507 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had the dubbel a coup!edays ago and really enjoyed it. Expected this to be a big brother version like many of the other Trappists I've had. Beer poured significantly lighter in color than expected...more amber compared to the dark quads like St B, Rochefort, Westy, etc. Nose was overwhelmingly yeasty. Strong, slightly off esters and very strong clove. Flavor was malty, yeasty, and alcoholic. Good, full mouthfeel. Overall, it just didn't work for me. Much more like a Belgian strong than a quad...plus the off yeasty flavors. Probably the first monk-made brew (I've had most of them) I can say I actually didn't care for. Probably would have rated it lower, but I am giving it some allowance for being young. I have three more I can update after aging a while. (769 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a brownish copper color. Bready flavor with only some mild funk. The flavor profile has a touch of molasses sweetness but the finish is mostly dry. (153 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

330ml Bottle from Arendsnest Proeflokaal, Amsterdam (€6.00):
Great stuff from La Trappe here, this one really didn't seem like a 10% beer at all & this was largely down to the fact that the beer was so smooth to drink & the alcohol was almost completely masked in both the taste and the smell. The taste was a sweet, slightly dry one that proved incredibly easy to drink with some great, dark fruity flavours balancing well with the caramel & dark malts; amazing drinking. I'm already hoping to get my hands on the barrel aged version now. (541 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A - Poured in La trappe glass. Amazing oak bourbon like color. One finger white head. Low carbonation.
S - Lots of fruits, plums, cherrys, apple. Caramel in the back.
T/ M - Creamy, warm from alcohol, fruita, very strong tastes, sweet with medium carbonation. Some smoke like aroma.

O - One of the best. (304 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Sabatinis in Exeter, PA. I am not the best reviewer of quads, but this is probably the easiest drinking and smoothest quad I've had. Flavors are strong but never overpowering. Nice smell, not too sweet, sits nice in the mouth, smooth head, smooth finish. You will never know this is 10% ABV. Nice start to my birthday. (331 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3/29/15 (Bottle) - Excellent copper dark brown pour with thick generous off white head. Generous scents of fruits, almonds, vanilla, caramel and malt. Pleasurable tastes and feel drinking, and a nice strong kick. Tastes included caramel, dried fruits such as raisins, malt. Great mixture and a great beer. (307 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

an exquisite quad that definitely shows the world why the trappists are so good at what they do. beautiful deep dark brown with a nose dominated by sweetness and dried fruits. taste follows the nose and is exactly what i expect from a quad and more.nice thick-ish mouth feel and very warming. a great dessert beer or just a sipper after a long day. excellent, highly recommended (378 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +19.4%

My current favorite quad. I got to sample this on tap at Yard House and it became my favorite kind of Belgium beer. The taste is so complex that it aroused my tastebuds wherever it touched (there's no better way to describe it). It's just so different from other beers I've had, so don't underestimate it. They did a good job hiding the alcohol too despite its high ABV. Paired well with happy hour food I had Yard House. (421 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber pour with light head. Aroma of prunes. Strong raisin/fig flavor start to finish - its a strong flavor true to the style, but I personally found the taste lacking depth. (176 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a snifter at The Anchor in Wichita.

In some ways very disappointed in this beer. It was certainly served too cold and it improved as it warmed but it did not meet my overall expectations. 3.75

A - No head crystal clear Amber colored - 4.25

S - Faint alcohol, raisins. 3.5

T - Very vinous, minor sweetness - 3.75

MF - Smooth even with the high ABV. - 4 (383 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It's been far too long since I've had a top notch Quad...

This was on the lighter end of the color spectrum, an orange-ish ruddy golden color. It poured with a thick, long lasting bright white head.

Soft, enticing aromas of candi-sugar, brown sugar, plus an abundant array of fruits like, raspberries, figs, and pears. I could find barely a trace of the 10% abv. The flavor follows the smell; and it is incredibly rich and deep. The sugar is present, but this doesn't come across as all that sweet. A gentle blanket of warmth and a strong, fruity presence make sure this stays balanced. The body is full and lush with creamy quality that coats the mouth. Absolutely top-notch, what took me so long to try this? (712 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Probably the bottle is too young, but I am getting quite a lot of banana and small amounts
of red fruits. High carbonation and alcohol definitely present and a bit overpowering. This is a nice one but I fear I had it too early. (227 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Murky, swampy prune brown colour. Very little head, no carbonation and just a trace of lacing.

Strong aroma of prunes soaked in a mega dose of cognac. Also rosy floral smell and the aroma of an over-ripe peach.

Taste is much like the aroma. Tons of sweetness that lasts for a long time. Some would say this is cloying but I welcome it and invite it to sit down and stay awhile. Caramel laced with cognac over prune. The alcohol taste is there but it is offset by the sweetness so that it is not harsh.

Heavy feel. The ale coats the mouth and bring warmth.

Wonderful drink. Like a cognac liqueur ale. (603 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a lovely copper/amber color with very little head into a La Trappe chalice. Fruity nose. Taste is pleasantly sweet and fruity -- and boozy -- with notes of banana, raisins, and caramel. Almost wine-like in a way. Light carbonation and mouthfeel for the style. Not my favorite quad, but it is nevertheless excellent if the sweetness doesn't bother you. (360 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Good flavor, it's a little cloudy for the style. It might come across as a little too boozy for some. I generally like these full bodied full flavored beers. (159 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into La Trappe chalice. Pours a clear caramel colored brown with a bit of an orange tinge. My bottle was new according to the printed date, and my glass was cleaned to the standards I have been taught, but I only observed about a finger of cream colored head that receded within a minute into a foamy sheet that clings to the glass. (I say this out of surprise after what I have read, but whatever, this is my review.) Smell was hinting of dates but overpowered by the banana pudding that was much more pronounced than I expected, and a finish of alcohol. Taste was hinting of dates, spice, and dark chocolate, but was again dominated with banana pudding. Had a a somewhat pronounced but not unwelcome or overpowering bitterness going down and a very slight earthiness in the aftertaste. The alcohol is definitely deceptive, and did not make its presence easily known, especially for a beer with such a high ABV. It was velvety smooth from the moment of sip to swallow, with only a slight hint of carbonation on the tongue. Overall a very enjoyable experience that makes me wonder if my senses are more sensitive to banana pudding than the average person. I find that I don't have as much experience with quads as I would like, and as a result I may update my review score later. (1,288 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Pours a clear brown tinged red-orange with mild floaties and a thick cream colored head, half inch of which sticks to the end; sheet of substantial lace down the glass. Smell: toasted date bread, caramel, raisin, notes of red apple and cherry; just a little earthiness. Taste: brown sugar, dates, raisin toast, notes of banana pudding, clove, earth. Pretty standard but well done. (380 characters)

La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.