La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-07-2002

Quadrupel is La Trappe’s heaviest ale with a stunning amber colour. Its warm and intense flavour is rich and finely balanced. Malty sweet, slightly burnt, and pleasantly bitter with a sweet aftertaste. Quadrupel continues to ferment after bottling and offers aromas of banana, almond, vanilla and others.
Ratings: 2,039 | Reviews: 896

Undoubtedly good. Strong alcohol taste with a strong banana flavour. Not much more to say about it, really. I tried it immediately after trying old speckled hen, which really wasn't for me, so I feel that may have skewed my review in favour of this beer. It's the kind of beer I'd get again if I was in the mood for bananas.

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Huge nose of bananas, huge taste of bananas. This beer is just bananas.

4.46/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Nice beer, smells good, tastes good. Had to switch my mind set because of the color, it's reddish instead of dark. Hardly any residue in the bottle, I actually like my beer to be a bit cloudy. But all that is made up by the good taste. It's rather sweet, and doesn't feel heavy at all, considering its 10%

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful balance of sweetness and spices. Alcohol comes at the finish with just the right right amount of carbonation.

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Slight boozy smell up front gives wat to a dilightfully smooth drink in the Trappist tradition.

2.65/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Think I got a bad bottle. Mine had absolutely no carbonation and the taste was basically booze. First trappist beer I actually didn't like at all. For reference, Rochefort 10 is my all time favorite beer.

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just started getting into Trappist ales, and this is at the top of my list of both Trappist ales and any other beers I've had. The fruit/bitter mix was amazing and the abv is not even noticeable. The body is lovely. I was recommended the quad by a co-worker and I gotta say, excellent recommendation. They may be a bit up there in price but it's totally worth it.

L: Sediment-y, orange-brown with fluffy white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Beautiful candy sugar with dates/rainsins.

T: Sweet caramel/light raisin. Everything I want in a quad.

F: Thickish with light, tickling bubbles. Smooth, too. Medium body.

O: Wonderful balance of malts, hops, sugars. There's a reason I love Trappist ales...

4.44/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a chalice.

A - Poured a murky copper, two-finger billowy head.

S - Very strong plummy, estery aroma.

T - Plummy, spicy esters dominate from front to back. Booze fades in gradually, along with the roasted, grainy malt. Residual booziness and spiciness are very lively.

M - Very heavy and full-bodied, with a very light carbonation, just enough to give this beer the attack it needs.

O - Gives you everything you would want from a quad. Very lively and full of complexity.

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had the dubbel a coup!edays ago and really enjoyed it. Expected this to be a big brother version like many of the other Trappists I've had. Beer poured significantly lighter in color than expected...more amber compared to the dark quads like St B, Rochefort, Westy, etc. Nose was overwhelmingly yeasty. Strong, slightly off esters and very strong clove. Flavor was malty, yeasty, and alcoholic. Good, full mouthfeel. Overall, it just didn't work for me. Much more like a Belgian strong than a quad...plus the off yeasty flavors. Probably the first monk-made brew (I've had most of them) I can say I actually didn't care for. Probably would have rated it lower, but I am giving it some allowance for being young. I have three more I can update after aging a while.

3.77/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brownish copper. Bready flavor with only some mild funk. Touch of molasses sweetness but mostly dry.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

330ml Bottle from Arendsnest Proeflokaal, Amsterdam (€6.00):
Great stuff from La Trappe here, this one really didn't seem like a 10% beer at all & this was largely down to the fact that the beer was so smooth to drink & the alcohol was almost completely masked in both the taste and the smell. The taste was a sweet, slightly dry one that proved incredibly easy to drink with some great, dark fruity flavours balancing well with the caramel & dark malts; amazing drinking. I'm already hoping to get my hands on the barrel aged version now.

From: Hipercor San Juan. Good but not exceptional.

4.64/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A - Poured in La trappe glass. Amazing oak bourbon like color. One finger white head. Low carbonation.
S - Lots of fruits, plums, cherrys, apple. Caramel in the back.
T/ M - Creamy, warm from alcohol, fruita, very strong tastes, sweet with medium carbonation. Some smoke like aroma.

O - One of the best.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Sabatinis in Exeter, PA. I am not the best reviewer of quads, but this is probably the easiest drinking and smoothest quad I've had. Flavors are strong but never overpowering. Nice smell, not too sweet, sits nice in the mouth, smooth head, smooth finish. You will never know this is 10% ABV. Nice start to my birthday.

4.42/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3/29/15 (Bottle) - Excellent copper dark brown pour with thick generous off white head. Generous scents of fruits, almonds, vanilla, caramel and malt. Pleasurable tastes and feel drinking, and a nice strong kick. Tastes included caramel, dried fruits such as raisins, malt. Great mixture and a great beer.

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

To sweet. Not my kind of beer

2.25/5  rDev -46%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Saigon (bottle)

I will not drink this beer unless there are no other choices.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

an exquisite quad that definitely shows the world why the trappists are so good at what they do. beautiful deep dark brown with a nose dominated by sweetness and dried fruits. taste follows the nose and is exactly what i expect from a quad and more.nice thick-ish mouth feel and very warming. a great dessert beer or just a sipper after a long day. excellent, highly recommended

Excellent brew. You won't be disappointed. Watch out though.. It's potent.

4.87/5  rDev +16.8%

My current favorite quad. I got to sample this on tap at Yard House and it became my favorite kind of Belgium beer. The taste is so complex that it aroused my tastebuds wherever it touched (there's no better way to describe it). It's just so different from other beers I've had, so don't underestimate it. They did a good job hiding the alcohol too despite its high ABV. Paired well with happy hour food I had Yard House.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber pour with light head. Aroma of prunes. Strong raisin/fig flavor start to finish - its a strong flavor true to the style, but I personally found the taste lacking depth.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a snifter at The Anchor in Wichita.

In some ways very disappointed in this beer. It was certainly served too cold and it improved as it warmed but it did not meet my overall expectations. 3.75

A - No head crystal clear Amber colored - 4.25

S - Faint alcohol, raisins. 3.5

T - Very vinous, minor sweetness - 3.75

MF - Smooth even with the high ABV. - 4

4.54/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It's been far too long since I've had a top notch Quad...

This was on the lighter end of the color spectrum, an orange-ish ruddy golden color. It poured with a thick, long lasting bright white head.

Soft, enticing aromas of candi-sugar, brown sugar, plus an abundant array of fruits like, raspberries, figs, and pears. I could find barely a trace of the 10% abv. The flavor follows the smell; and it is incredibly rich and deep. The sugar is present, but this doesn't come across as all that sweet. A gentle blanket of warmth and a strong, fruity presence make sure this stays balanced. The body is full and lush with creamy quality that coats the mouth. Absolutely top-notch, what took me so long to try this?

4.94/5  rDev +18.5%

Love this beer! Wish i ccould afford it more often! My connection sucks so if I slure my words it's iPad problem

La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.