La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-07-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
allengarvin

750ml bottle poured into a Bernardus chalice. Pours a cloudy, opaque mahogany color with a small white head. Quite fruity nose (plums, ripe apples) with a musty, hay-like note at the edges. Sweet and malty, with a liquorice and anise flavor; low bitterness really lets the barley and fruit character be tasted; alcohol is notable in the finish, somewhat harsh. Big bodied, full in the mouth.

10-21-2006 00:14:06 | More by allengarvin
geetlord

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

This beer pouerd a light clear amber, reasonable head that becomes excelent lacing.
The aroma contained malts, spices, and some citrus.
The flavor was sweet with mollasses, slightly spiced with cloves and cinnamon, and had a bittersweet tang like that of orange rind, which I really enjoyed. The finish was smooth and warming with alcohol. I felt the flavor was pleasantly complex and generaly enjoyable.

10-08-2006 22:53:12 | More by geetlord
jabocu

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Pours a deep copper with ruby highlights, very thin white cap that just sits right on top. Lots of sticky lacings hang on the side. Aroma is full of raisins, currants, sherry, and slight vanilla from the what seems like a bourbon oak barrel in the back. A little flowery from some hops, and some alcohol on the nose. Flavor is lots of dark, yet just ripe clean fruits up front...raisin, fig, black cherry...with some spicy peppery hops calm the sweetness down. Finishes dry like thin dried tobacco. A earthy oak background carries throughout, but stays through to the aftertaste a little too strong. Very warming, med-thin body, and medium carbonation. Very nice!

09-26-2006 22:47:25 | More by jabocu
skillerified

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Lot's of rich, creamy looking head. It sticks a long time too. Good lacing. Nice red, orange and gold tones.

Sweet, lots of malt up front. Strong alcohol and spice presence too. Some fruit, citrus and dark berries. Some licorice too. Pretty complex, it keeps going as long as you do.

Very sweet at first, but ends spicy. The taste seems a little less defined than the smell. It's very sweet, sugar cookie almost. The spicy end is all alcohol to me. You might find something else in there, but it's more straightforward than the scent.

Rich and creamy. Very smooth going down. Could stand to be a little more balanced. The sweet/spicy change is a little to extreme for my palate. Not bad though.

I think one's going to be enough for me. It's not bad, but it's not Chimay either. About the same price too. Too much alcohol, both in content and taste, to be a regular for me.

09-23-2006 18:36:38 | More by skillerified
dedrinker

Kansas

2.85/5  rDev -31.5%

I'm happy so many people thought this was phenomenal, but I just couldn't get there. I tasted a little cinamon, and candy sugar, but the overall impression was that of a beer stored too long in sub-standard conditions. My bottle said it was a Trappist ale, but I did not find the Trappist seal anywhere on the bottle (like the one on Chimay, Rochefort, Orval et. al.). Did I get some weird bootleg version, or is La Trappe suffering from some serious "has been/ used to be" issues? All the other beers in their line I tried were similarly compromised in quality of aroma/ body/ flavor/ finish. Rather two dimensional.

09-12-2006 20:06:14 | More by dedrinker
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

NB Served in a tall glass rather than a tulip or snifter, but reviewed as served.

A - Hazy red, with a super-thick, unreal head that refuses to drop. Thick meringue-like bubbles that just sit in a solid mass won't move when I swirl the glass.

S - Spicy and fruity. Notes of citrus - orange and lemon peel, and cloves.

T - Very sweet - almost candy like. Strong taste of fresh, pressed apple cider/juice and caramel. Lingering hop bitterness and apple flavour in the aftertaste, with an ever-so-slight astringency.

M - Syrupy, medium bodied. Has a way of coating the mouth without being heavy.

D - Easy to drink for sure, esp. at 10%. Tasty and non-boozy. Very sweet, which may make drinking many of these difficult (if not the 10% abv that would knock you on your ass anyway). I find the apple flavour intriguing - rather than the sharp green apple aroma/flavour usually encountered, this one is much more mellow and mouth-filling. Overall, a fantastic brew. I'm sad it's not available locally.

09-01-2006 06:06:06 | More by allergictomacros
danielharper

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

A: Pours a reddish-brown hue into my snifter with a thick foamy off-white head. Delicious appearance, head sticks around for the count.

S: Alcohol phenols dominate here, with strong notes of black cherries and other unidentifiable sweet fruits. Normally the strong alcohol makes me ding a beer a bit, but this one has a nice balance that makes it very pleasant.

T: Again, strongly alcoholic, fruity, with a hint of nuttiness in the aftertaste. Perhaps a touch of coffee liquer and chocolate to round out the mix. I find it very enjoyable, but I understand that the high alcohol flavor might be off-putting to many.

M: Thick, luxurious. Swishes around the mouth and gives a great foaminess.

D: A very good beer. The best quad I've tried yet.

08-27-2006 22:54:48 | More by danielharper
Regenpak

Netherlands

2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

After taking the bottle from the fridge I left it for awhile to get it to its recommended serving temperature, between 8 and 12 °C. It poured a lovely dark amber, about 2cm head that quickly receded into a thin layer of small bubbles. Almost no visible bubbles. There is not much smell, just some sweetness and alcohol. The taste is also not very prominent and did not really agree with me. It's too sweet, for some reason, just sugary and not very interesting. Oddly enough the alcohol was not very prevalent, given the high ABV. Maybe I need to be in the mood or something to fully appreciate this beer.

08-15-2006 14:44:14 | More by Regenpak
jettjon

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

From the 750 ml bottle, pours a clear reddish brown color with no bubbles. There is absolutely no head to this beer other than a few random bubbles. No evidence of carbonation at all, at least visually. I’m guessing the 10% ABV killed them, but sheesh. Nose: ahh, bananas. Sweet malt, dark fruit, maybe plums. Good smell to this beer. Taste: caramel and heavy malt flavor right up front, but the malt is pretty mild mannered. There’s a touch of alcohol, not much considering ABV, and finishes on a light alcohol, light hops note. Really good caramel/malt flavor. Very nice. Mouth feel, despite total lack of visible carbonation is not flat, but is very smooth, almost silky, slick, and semi-syrupy. Good consistency. Drinkability is great; it was easy to finish off the whole bottle, but the ABV will catch up with you.

Overall: A very good, delicious, smooth, and enjoyable quad. Alcohol presence is low despite high ABV. Reminded me of a good, malty dopplebock. (The appearance is a bit off, so the numeric score really doesn’t do this beer justice.) Highly recommended.

[Edit: Seems that I am the only one who's tried this beer that reported "no" head. I'll definitely try it again to see if I got a bad bottle. Hell, if it was "bad," I can't WAIT to see what "good" looks like!]

08-14-2006 23:32:42 | More by jettjon
bjohnson

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a dark dark amber with a nice frothy milkshake like one and a half finger cream colored head. Wonderful retention on this trappist. Equally wonderful lace.
S: Aromas of dark grapes and other berry like fruit Spicy malt is noticeable. Almost smells like it was old musty used wine cask.
T/M: Big dark fruit and oaky flavors up front followed by a spicyness with an almost hot like sensation on the tongue. The alcohol? hmmm...maybe. 10% abv is high, but is masked quite well with quad. A slight carbonation blast followed by a chewyness and a sweet finish. Burnt sugar notes come through here also.
D: Drinkable to an extent. Not more than one or two of these puppies in one sitting. Definately worth a try, but the high abv and sweetness make this a onesy and then on to something else. With that said, I would have this again and am glad I've got 2 more in my cellar waiting for me.

07-29-2006 02:39:48 | More by bjohnson
SkullFission

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Tried this out of an 11.2 oz. bottle, poured into a crystal goblet. There was a massive amount of yeast present in this beer, even given the 10 minutes I gave it to settle after I pulled it out of the fridge and the insanely slow pour that I gave it.

The appearance is simply beautiful. A rich brown that seems to be characteristic of most Trappist ales.

The smell is very heavy on the malt, but very enjoyable nonetheless. This actually sort of reminds me of the way EKU 28 eisbock smells, which is odd for a Trappist.

The taste is very malty, and the yeast is definitely perceptible. A step down from other Trappists, but great nonetheless.

Due to the heavy amount of yeast, the mouthfeel can be a bit grainy, which leads me to deduct points in this category. Otherwise, it's just fine, goes down fairly smooth.

This is VERY smooth for a 10% ABV beer, but the heavy amount of yeast sort of counteracts that aspect for me, leading me to give it the 3.0. If you can somehow manage to pour without the yeast getting into the glass, the drinkability will be excellent.

All in all a decent offering, but in my eyes only worth the price if you're really jonesing for it.

07-22-2006 23:51:35 | More by SkullFission
sabrills70

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

11.2oz brown bottle with no freshness date. Pours a medium amber with a big frothy head, great longevity and lace. Smell of dried dark fruits, caramel, brown sugar, and a bit brandy like. Alcohol is present but not harsh or overpowering. Dried dark fruit flavors mixed with big malts and candi sugar. Not hugely flavorful or ozerly complex but enough. Smooth, creamy and refreshing (as much as a quad can be). Definate alcohol in the finish. Still a bit young. I am glad I have 3 more stashed away. All in all a very good beer.

07-16-2006 20:54:49 | More by sabrills70
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

I don't know if I'm being overly hard on quads as of late or my tastes seem to be drifting again. Shared this one with a friend. Last time I had this was in Texas 5 years ago. Seems better in memory.

A - Cloudy amber color with a white head that dissipated very quickly.

S - Rich malt, ripe fruit, belgian candi sugar and alcohol.

T - Similar to the smell. Rich brew but fairly straight forward in presentation.

M - Nice medium to full bodied brew.

D - Better as it warmed to room temp from the cellar. A good quad, but not sure if it's my first choice for a next quad.

07-10-2006 14:49:52 | More by barleywinebrewer
phisig137

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

corked and caged bottle, pours a bright orange color, with a long lasting one finger head. Minimal lacing on sides of glass. Fairly light in color for a quad, but still nice.

Aroma is alcoholic, slightly sweet, and fruity. Yeast esters are minimal.

Flavor is relatively mild, especially for a quad. Dark fruit, yeast, fresh bread, and caramel are present. Finish is relatively dry. Mouthfeel is full and chewy, drinkability is decent, although the alcohol makes itself present after the first glass.

All in all, pretty good, but not as good as some quads that I've had. One thing I wonder though, is how this is labeled as a "trappist ale", without having a trappist certification. Kinda odd.

07-07-2006 01:43:04 | More by phisig137
Drew966

Koningshoeven Quadrupel pours an opaque, very dark orange, almost brown color with a small off white head from a brown 11.2 ounce bottle. The aroma is fruity, grape, malty and some alcohol. I taste a little malt up front, then fruit and alcohol is definitely present if not overpowering. Maybe some candy sugar too. Recommended.

06-22-2006 19:49:33 | More by Drew966
neenerzig

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

To my knowledge this is the first Quadrupel I have ever had. A very bold, robust, flavorful beer indeed. The cork was in so tight I had to open it with a corkscrew. Not one of the cheaper imports I have ever bought that's for sure. Cost me a total of $10.81 for one 25 oz. bottle, tax included (cost was $9.99 w/ out tax). First time I have ever had to open my beer with a corkscrew. Pours a medium brown color with a magnificent white/very light brown head well over an inch thick. The head pretty much refuses to dissappear. 30 minutes after pouring this beer the head was still going quite strong. Amazing head retention, the best I have ever seen in fact. The head was good all the way down to the last sip and leaves very nice lacing as it gets sipped down to the end. Smell is of quite a generous amount of yeast and malt along with fruits such as plums, apples, raisins, Has a sweet taste that reminds me of brown sugar on toast in the morning along with some caramel and fruityness talked about above, and of course alcohol. It leaves a warm glow inside after a few sips that lasts right down to the last sip. This beer is truly a fine piece of art. A nice smooth and creamy mouthfeel with moderate carbonation that leaves a slight burning sensation after being sipped. I found this to be very drinkable considering its 10% ABV. The 10% ABV would also make it quite difficult for me to imagine myself drinking more than one of these per session, plus the fact that I have never seen it sold in 12 oz. bottles. It says on the back label that this beer can be aged like fine wine. I have no idea how long this beer was sitting on the shelves for before I purchased it. If you want to get very drunk on truly great tasting beer pick up 2 or 3 bottles of this. If you want to appreciate it for the truly fine beer it is, drink one, and only one at a time. I got quite a nice and pleasant buzz off of one bottle and would not want to ruin this beer drinking experience by drinking more than one at a time. I recommend this beer to all everywhere despite the high price tag. I will drink it again for sure!

Eric

06-17-2006 01:09:48 | More by neenerzig
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

BB 06/2007, served in a large Burgundy bulb wine glass.

A: pours a beautiful, bright mahogany-coloured, semi-lively carbonated body, with a semi-thick off-white beer head on the top, which dissipates at a slow pace and leaves tight lacing behind~~
S: upfront is an assertive, but not quite intrusive, aroma mixed of rum-soaked cherries, fat raisins, and perfumy fruitiness (plum-preserve, apple-peels, banana-ish yeastiness, etc.); burned brown-sugary, caramely malts hover in the background. But overall the aroma lacks more complexity and a sound structure, with a touch of warming alc. and sweetness too much to my liking.
T: semi-sharp textured, brown sugary maltiness prevails upfront, backed by a fast-developing fruity palate - sticky-plummy+raisiny+melony, plus a herbal & mildly spicy touch of yeasts - ginsin+licorice+peppery; the sweet overtone benefits from a finishing dryish touch, meanwhile it's quite warming down the throat, almost like that of a dark fortified wine, plus a slightly sticky winey feel and cloying burned sugar-cane revealed in the very end. Not too bad, but far from amazing.
M&D: med-full bodied for what I know of a Quadrupel, but the mouthfeel is rather fizzy and not as mellow as I prefer it to be, while the alc. is a bit assertive, standing in the way for fuller enjoyment. Compared with some other examples of this style I've tried, I find this one quite "underperforming" with some apparently sharp edges to square. An older bottle might be more complex and taste better, I hope?

05-29-2006 02:10:54 | More by wl0307
asabreed

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

33 cl. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: An amber / orange body with hues of bright orange with the right amount of light. I gave it a vigorous pour so the head was a bit huge and slightly off-white before settling down fairly quickly.

Smell: Lots of malt and yeast, of course, up front. There's a lot of tropical fruit too along with some sour cherries and apple skin. Also some brown sugar and some maple. Not much hops. The alcohol becomes more evident as it warms but not in an obtrusive way.

Taste: What I admire about this brew is the almost geuze or lambic-like sourness at the onset. With that are huge bold flavors sour and dark fruit, along with apple-skin, plum, raisin, chalky yeast, slight medicinal phenolic characteristics, and finally some brown sugar. Finishes slightly sweet before a bit of hops makes its way in there, bold and lots of malt and hints of fruit linger.

Mouthfeel: Coating because of the sweetness and the carbonation really only becomes apparent as its close to the swallow. Not as thick as some quads for sure.

Drinkability: A pleasure to drink, with the alcohol hidden very well, especially at 10% ABV. I may try future pairings with cheese because I think some great things would happen. Definitely give this brew a shot, it's fairly different for a quad in a way, but I really enjoy it and will drink it again.

05-11-2006 21:05:18 | More by asabreed
moderndrunkard

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Small, fluffy, off-white head that's short-lived. Light brown body that's slightly cloudy.

Alcoholic nose, but not too strong for a quad. Perhaps a hint of malty undertones. Overall yeasty, sweet aroma.

Taste is overwhelmingly pungent, phenolic, and, most of all, alcoholic. It's all I can taste. But as the beer warms, the taste becomes more manageable. More full and less overpowering.

But overall, this is porbably my least favorite trappist.

05-07-2006 18:24:09 | More by moderndrunkard
SkeeterHawk

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy burnt orange color with a thick 1/2" of off white foam on top. There are a whole bunch of bubbles rising to maintain the head, but it looks like it isn't going anywhere anyway. The head stays forever, and there is still some remains of it up until the last sip. There is some scattered lacing about the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Really fruity aroma. I can pick up raisins, plums, figs, apples most notably while the aroma has a background of syrupy sweetness and bread. There is a spicy dimension to the nose also which gives you a bit of coriander and pepper. There may even be a bit of Lavender here too to confuse the aromatic profile.

Taste: The flavor follows pretty closely with the aroma, but actually comes across as a bit milder than I expected. There is a lot more bread in the flavor that I believe is mostly yeast derived...with a subtle addition of wheat I would guess. There is a noticeable syrupy sweetness here that hints at the beers strength. This sweetness is greatly accentuated by the fruity flavors, and I get more ripe fruit in the flavor as compared to the nose. The beer is balanced firmly toward the sweetness with the fruit flavors leading the way. There is some balance to the sweetness from the dark malts and attenuation, but if there are hops contributing to the floral balance, they are very reserved. The finish is a bit sweet and syrupy so that it coats your throat from the alcohol. Long into the finish, you get a bit of warming on the back of the throat, but this beer hides its alcohol very well.

Opinion: I really enjoyed this beer. It is in a really tough category, but it does well to hold its own. Even though this beer is pretty sweet, it is still too easily drinkable. I would like it to be attenuated just a bit more to cut the syrupy feeling that lingers, but that could be its charm to mask the alcohol. I am almost done with the beer, and I am already feeling its "blessing" from the alcohol. I would definitely drink this beer again.

04-29-2006 02:04:42 | More by SkeeterHawk
AltBock

4.2/5  rDev +1%

11.2oz bottle with just a simple label with the name of their beer and a drawing of their abbey on the front. The back label had the usual U.S. information, no date, but a code and a time. This is #4 out of #4 from the La Trappe variety pack. Last but no least.

Appearance: When poured into my official La Trappe goblet, the beer was a dark murky reddish/brown color. Like the others, the head of foam was white in color and just a little skim of it at the top. The skim dissipated very fast leaving no lace and very few rings. This one by far had the most yeast floating around in the glass.

Smell: The aroma was pleasant in plenty of nice ripe juicy fruits like cherries, little malts, alcohol, and a huge helping of sweetness in the background. Very nice!

Taste: In the taste there was plenty of sweet ripe juicy fruits, some malt, little hops, and a huge helping of alcohol in the background. There was only just a slight taste of yeast in this. When I saw all the yeast floating around, I thought the main taste would be yeast, but I guess not. Basically when the first taste settles, the alcohol kicks in bid time.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, carbonated, and that strong alcohol aftertaste doesn't seem to want to leave.

Drinkability: A good Quad and surprisingly drinkable for a beer that clocks in at 10% ABV. After trying all 4 of thier main ones, this one is their best. Very good!

04-23-2006 19:08:14 | More by AltBock
bearrunner44

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: Dark, rose-shaded crimson. Thick, cream-colored head. The glass remains coated in foam as the head recedes.

Smell: Rich & buttery malt profile. Cake-like, with rich, soft diacetyl sweetness. Soft & doughy yeast overtones, with a burst of alcohol in the background.

Taste: Very sweet; the diacetyl is off the map. Extremely smooth and buttery. There's almost nothing to balance the sweetness; the hops are very low-key, and the yeast lends only a moderate earthiness. Light, fruity estery flavors compliment the malt, tasting mostly like raspberries and cherries. You can taste the 10.00% ABV, but it's fairly well-concealed. It provides a definite warming sensation, but it doesn't detract from the gigantic sweetness of the malt profile. Sticky, fruity and sweet; definitely a dessert beer.

Mouthfeel: Very firm and chewy, as is expected of a beer this big. The carbonation lightens the beer just enough. Excellent.

Verdict: This isn't an everyday beer. It lacks some of the complexity of other Trappist-style ales, but simple joy can be found in La Trappe's eager-to-please sweetness. I imagine this would be incredible after a dinner of roasted turkey.

04-06-2006 02:53:04 | More by bearrunner44
JulieRFoster

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

This beer pours out a fluffy pale vanilla head that quickly dissipates into a film of variously sized bubbles. The color is a burnished-copper amber, and not particularly appealing.
The nose is very sweet, with lots of bubblegum and some malt scent coming through. The alcohol also comes through a bit, but not too much. The sugar is what really dominates the smell. Same for the taste. It almost tastes like malty cotton candy. Unfortunately the sweetness obfuscates other flavors. There is some fruit and malt, but the fruit tastes like candy that is artificially flavored, rather than an identifiable fruit. Aside from the sweetness, it is pleasant to drink, but I doubt that I could drink more than two without vomiting. It’s just too damn sweet.

04-03-2006 19:26:40 | More by JulieRFoster
doubleipa

Georgia

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

This is an '04 that I've had in the cellar for two years. Nice half inch, light brown head, excellent lacing. Color is dark brown. Aroma of moderate malt, toasted, moderate yeast, dough, banana, vanilla, and cherry. Initial flavor was moderately sweet with a long finish. Really malty taste, but not as much cherry and vanilla that was indicated by the aroma. There was a moderate a level of alcohol in the finish. I think this could;ve stayed in the cellar for a coupld more year.

04-03-2006 13:44:34 | More by doubleipa
sinistrsam

Maryland

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Grabbed this at the Brickskeller in DC. Poured a beautiful brown, with a huge foamy head. Lacing was excellent. The aroma was what youd expect from a quad but with suble undertones often missing from lesser examples of the style. Citrus and yeast, sour fruits, spices and bread. The taste is spice and sweet hops, cloves, sour fruits, alcohol and sugars. It was balanced as well as any quad I've ever had. The mouthfeel was somewhat astringent with its acidicty, but excellent for sipping, even with its carbonation. I loved this beer and it has now risen to my favorite example of the style. Absolutely excellent.

03-27-2006 19:50:54 | More by sinistrsam
La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.