La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-07-2002)

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%

Great complex beer.

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into La Trappe chalice. Pours a clear caramel colored brown with a bit of an orange tinge. My bottle was new according to the printed date, and my glass was cleaned to the standards I have been taught, but I only observed about a finger of cream colored head that receded within a minute into a foamy sheet that clings to the glass. (I say this out of surprise after what I have read, but whatever, this is my review.) Smell was hinting of dates but overpowered by the banana pudding that was much more pronounced than I expected, and a finish of alcohol. Taste was hinting of dates, spice, and dark chocolate, but was again dominated with banana pudding. Had a a somewhat pronounced but not unwelcome or overpowering bitterness going down and a very slight earthiness in the aftertaste. The alcohol is definitely deceptive, and did not make its presence easily known, especially for a beer with such a high ABV. It was velvety smooth from the moment of sip to swallow, with only a slight hint of carbonation on the tongue. Overall a very enjoyable experience that makes me wonder if my senses are more sensitive to banana pudding than the average person. I find that I don't have as much experience with quads as I would like, and as a result I may update my review score later.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.