1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Trappe Enkel - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe EnkelLa Trappe Enkel

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: yen157 on 05-30-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 8 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
tempest

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%

Found at 750ml bottle at Shangy's in Emmaus PA for $11. The label read BEST BY END: NOV96, so take this review with that in mind. The cork looked a little soaked when I opened the bottle and the carbonation was a little low, but not too bad. The body didn't have any protein blobs like some old Belgians. However, like many well-aged beers, this has a strong leather character and I wonder if the cork didn't add the beer's spicy, earthy character. Aside from tasting a bit like a new recliner smells, there wasn't much character, though the beer was exceedingly smooth. Buying a low-ABV beer this old is a gambler, but I'm glad I took it.

03-29-2010 16:59:16 | More by tempest
thierrynantes

France

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : bière blonde dorée, brassée avec un mélange de malts pale et Munich ainsi qu'avec des variétés de houblon Hallertau et Northern Brew
Smell : bouquet de houblon
Taste and mouthfeel : goût d'agrumes, amertume houblonnée et fruité
Drinkability : une bonne bière d'abbaye blonde

10-29-2007 16:45:59 | More by thierrynantes
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +13.3%

This was a cloudy amber beer with no head to speak of.

The aroma was of fruit and hops... mostly apples, more lightly of floral hops.

This beer was quite fizzy, and had an initial hit of bitterness, followed by a fruity maltiness.

This one was the start of La Trappe night... my friend and I had the Enkel, Dubbel, Tripel, and Quadrupel in order, and were we ever happyfaced by the end of the evening.

11-22-2004 04:09:30 | More by connecticutpoet
yen157

2.38/5  rDev -31.4%

About of case of these unusual beers were spotted in a liquor store on my way home from work. I knew it was old from the All Saints label, but when I got home I noticed a double label on the back. I peeled off the top one only to find “Best By Nov ‘96” stamped near the bottom. If this was good I would go back and by the rest since this brew isn’t around any more.

Poured a murky, brownish-orange with no head at all. In fact, the bottle opened with barely a hiss. Very bready nose with hints of spice, fig, dark rum. Bready in the mouth with dates and figs along with a large dose yummy wet cardboard. Definitely a victim of its age. Exceptionally thin in the mouth, and no carbonation.

I’ve seen some websites that say the “Enkel” is the same as the “Blonde”. The beer may have morphed into the Blonde after a recipe and name change, but after reading reviews and drinking my beer I am convinced that at least when this beer was bottled it was distinct from what we now know as the Blonde.

I understand that age has played a huge factor in how this beer impresses me. I was debating whether to add it or not, and I did because Ithere may be fresher stuff out there. To compensate I haven't docked it too much for it's age. It probably wasn't that good when it was fresh.

05-30-2004 14:27:34 | More by yen157
La Trappe Enkel from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.