La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged) - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged)La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: PapaEugene on 11-06-2009

BATCH 1 (blended on June 1, 2010).
New Oak Heavy Toast - 18.2%
New Medium Acasia - 9.1%
Port Medium Burnt - 36.4%
Port Medium Toast - 36.4%

BATCH 2 (blended on July 26, 2010).
New Medium Oak Toast - 9%
Port Medium Burnt Toast (Amer. Oak) - 64%
Port Medium Burnt Toast (French Oak) - 9%
Port Medium Toast (French Oak) - 18%

BATCH 3 (blended on September 17, 2010).
New Oak Medium Toast - 18%
Port Medium Toast (French Oak) - 55%
La Trappe Q. Medium Toast (French Oak) - 27%

BATCH 4 (blended on 5 November 2010).
New Oak Medium Toast - 27%

Whiskey - 70%
New Fr. Oak Medium Toast - 30%
Reviews by Chrysostom:
2.19/5  rDev -49%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Presentation: small, 12.7 fl oz corked and caged bottle. Price: $14.99 per small bottle. I was warned off of this buy the liquor store man who's knowledgeable in Belgians, stating, "it tastes like an ashtray". I'm a smoker. I'll take the risk. I've not tasted the beer yet. (Edit at the end of my review: now that I've tasted it, his judgment was borne out, although it wasn't as bad as he claimed it to be.)

Batch 7. Poured at 50ºF.

A: Pours a very dark, relatively clear dried-blood red colour, with copious amounts of black yeast floaties/lees in the bottle (whether due to a poor pour or what, I don't know - I poured it gently and am generally good at pouring Trappists and bottle-conditioned ales). Hardly any appearance of carbonation, with a small, loose, soapy head that quickly recedes in to a ring. Lacing is surprisingly strong for such a weak head. The large amount of lees are unappetizing; for whatever reason they are there: appearance is no higher than 3.25 at most. I've still yet to taste the beer.

S: Stale smoke and ash. Nothing else comes through. 2.5.

T: Decent on the front-palate, displaying alcohol and dark fruit typical to the style, with a finish of incredibly dry, caustic stale ash, as if from an ashtray. There is an after-finish of sweetness. This beer coats the mouth. There is a mild malt backbone, and virtually non-existent hop character. Ash comes through strong. The charred oak character of this beer is SEVERELY unbalanced by anything else; if this was a Scotch whisky, maybe the alcohol would balance out the blackened oak taste.

Several more sips confirm my suspicion. The taste of this beer is not good, but it's not (that) horrible either. Below average.

M: Sweet water with an admixture of ash and alcohol. No carbonation, very unlively. Very poor. There is a sand-like feeling on the palate, however strange that may sound.

D: Almost nonexistent. No wonder this isn't served in 750mL bottles. I can't finish a 375mL.

O: Strongly disappointed with my first tasting of a Koningshoeven Trappist brew. I'll try some of their regular, non oak-aged stuff, next time. Speaking blasphemy, yet nevertheless true blasphemy, I would rather drink a BMC than this most any day, not even taking in to consideration the outrageous price ($30/750mL). Considering the price, this is a bad beer.

One thumbs down, one thumb horizontal, in the position of a Roman Magistrate deciding whether to give the death-sentence to the gladiator today, or whether to give him a stay of execution until the next time he's in the arena.

The beer looks like blood, and has a mild feel of sand: how fitting then, to say, as in the Sam Raimi Spartacus series, "Blood and Sand". Or as Mat Cauthon from the Wheel of Time would say, even more apropos, "Blood and bloody ashes" (as a curse), as this beer tastes like ashes.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #68 (Spetember 2012):

LOOK: Hazed tawny hue, towering head

SMELL: Toasty, heavy oak, hint of port, vanilla, peppery, white cherries, caramel, custard

TASTE: Super creamy, full bodied, boozy kick, very warming, big oakiness, brown sugar, peppery, toasted almonds, more oak, faint vanilla, hint of port, ripe plums, pomegranate, dry, oaky alcoholic finish

We are very lucky to acquire batch #3 of this project. Over 50 percent of the barrel-aged blend comes from port barrels, and the rest is aged on other variations of toasted oak. Being that we are fond of the traditional Quad, this is a real treat all around. With results like this, we hope this project does not see delay.

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

4.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Batch #6 served in a snifter glass

Wow. I love this beer. It is very complex with quite a few subtle flavors and smells.

A - Dark amber color with a small lingering head.

S - Nice light aroma that almost seems to have hints of what smells like bourbon and vanilla. Very complex, but the smell of alcohol almost overwhelms any other scent.

T - WOW!!! Here is by far where this beer stands out to me. If I could rate above a 5 I would. So many subtle flavors. A previous post described it as "flowery" and "deceptive taste that would have me think I was drinking a beer with half the alcohol" and I agree despite the fact that I have a different batch. Definite woodiness, caramel, vanilla, and bourbon flavors. Alcohol is not overwhelming, but provides just enough warmth while drinking. I am having trouble being more descriptive than this, but it is just such a complex flavor.

M - Almost creamy. But a little bit over carbonated in my opinion. Great afterfeel.

O - One of my favorite beers I have had. Wonderful complexity to this beer!!!

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2010)

Belgian Beer Festival 2011
Pizza Port
Carlsbad, CA

Dark orange, auburn, and light brown. Very thin khaki head and this looks somewhat thin, especially for a quad. Dotted lacing down the glass. Unexpectedly unimpressive...

...though that's where the bad news ends...this is one fantastic beer!

A complex and divine aroma. The base beer stands out marvelously--dark fruits (figs, plums, dates, candied cherries), along with caramel, freshly baked bread, Belgian yeast tang--and then the earthy and woody aromas inch their way to the forefront. Tremendous.

A sweet and woody, though complex, quad. This beer is divine. The earth and vanilla from the oak is an excellent combination to the somewhat sweet, bready, tangy, and fruity quad. The dark fruits and bread are certainly this beer's magnificent base, but the Belgian yeast and oak add another fantastic layer.

Thin to medium bodied, though with high carbonation. A joy.

A tremendous oak-aged version of a fantastic quad. I would love to try this one again...and again...and again...

4.52/5  rDev +5.4%

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

3.64/5  rDev -15.2%

I bought this bottle at the Drankengeers in Oostakker Belgium. I am really looking out to take a sip of this beer. I have a bottle of batch no. 5.

A - A beautiful hazy dark amber. There is a lot of yeast swirling around in my glass. I didn't shake the bottle, but still it there. The foam disappears rather quickly, and a thin layer remains. There is no carbonation in my glass.

S - Oh, a very strong oak smell mixed with a sour scent. That is something I dislike in a beer.

T - Velvet! This is really something different than the original one. I can already say that I liked the original one more, but this is a beautiful attempt to make something good, better! The sourness is gone though.

M - The taste makes an evolution in your mouth, first comes a little sweet from the original, second there is the medium carbonation, than comes the white wines tones, after that comes the oak, through to a slightly dry and bitter finish. After swallowing, the tastes of fresh oak lingers around and around.

O - Like I said; a beautiful attempt to make something good even better.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.