La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged) - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged)La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

BATCH 1 (blended on June 1, 2010).
New Oak Heavy Toast - 18.2%
New Medium Acasia - 9.1%
Port Medium Burnt - 36.4%
Port Medium Toast - 36.4%

BATCH 2 (blended on July 26, 2010).
New Medium Oak Toast - 9%
Port Medium Burnt Toast (Amer. Oak) - 64%
Port Medium Burnt Toast (French Oak) - 9%
Port Medium Toast (French Oak) - 18%

BATCH 3 (blended on September 17, 2010).
New Oak Medium Toast - 18%
Port Medium Toast (French Oak) - 55%
La Trappe Q. Medium Toast (French Oak) - 27%

BATCH 4 (blended on 5 November 2010).
New Oak Medium Toast - 27%

White wine used Oak Heavy Toast - 80%

BATCH 8 (blended in October 2011):
Whiskey - 70%
New Fr. Oak Medium Toast - 30%

(Beer added by: PapaEugene on 11-06-2009)
Reviews by Neffbeer:
4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

375ml bottle into a chalice, Batch 3 is stamped on the back label.

A: It pours an amber/raisin brown color with a nice two finger slightly off-white head. The head retention is respectable, to say the least, and there is a good deal of lacing.

S: The nose is very malt forward, with sweet roasty goodness leading the way followed by raisins and stone fruit. The oak is present but not as pronounced in the nose as I would have expected. The bittering hops sneak through as it warms with some vanilla, and subtle chocolate.

T: Wow, this is fantastic. I feel like all of my senses are coming to a halt and my brain is about to shut down. The raisins and stone fruits blend seamlessly with the sweet malt and caramel goodness. Sincerely, the flavors are so well blended that it has become an organism unto itself. The oak adds infinitely to the goodness without taking center stage.

M: It is thick and viscous with minimal carbonation.

D: Can I buy more please? I have one more to cellar, but I will clearly need more of this greatness. Cheers.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #68 (Spetember 2012):

LOOK: Hazed tawny hue, towering head

SMELL: Toasty, heavy oak, hint of port, vanilla, peppery, white cherries, caramel, custard

TASTE: Super creamy, full bodied, boozy kick, very warming, big oakiness, brown sugar, peppery, toasted almonds, more oak, faint vanilla, hint of port, ripe plums, pomegranate, dry, oaky alcoholic finish

We are very lucky to acquire batch #3 of this project. Over 50 percent of the barrel-aged blend comes from port barrels, and the rest is aged on other variations of toasted oak. Being that we are fond of the traditional Quad, this is a real treat all around. With results like this, we hope this project does not see delay.

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Batch #6 served in a snifter glass

Wow. I love this beer. It is very complex with quite a few subtle flavors and smells.

A - Dark amber color with a small lingering head.

S - Nice light aroma that almost seems to have hints of what smells like bourbon and vanilla. Very complex, but the smell of alcohol almost overwhelms any other scent.

T - WOW!!! Here is by far where this beer stands out to me. If I could rate above a 5 I would. So many subtle flavors. A previous post described it as "flowery" and "deceptive taste that would have me think I was drinking a beer with half the alcohol" and I agree despite the fact that I have a different batch. Definite woodiness, caramel, vanilla, and bourbon flavors. Alcohol is not overwhelming, but provides just enough warmth while drinking. I am having trouble being more descriptive than this, but it is just such a complex flavor.

M - Almost creamy. But a little bit over carbonated in my opinion. Great afterfeel.

O - One of my favorite beers I have had. Wonderful complexity to this beer!!!

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2010)

Belgian Beer Festival 2011
Pizza Port
Carlsbad, CA

Dark orange, auburn, and light brown. Very thin khaki head and this looks somewhat thin, especially for a quad. Dotted lacing down the glass. Unexpectedly unimpressive...

...though that's where the bad news ends...this is one fantastic beer!

A complex and divine aroma. The base beer stands out marvelously--dark fruits (figs, plums, dates, candied cherries), along with caramel, freshly baked bread, Belgian yeast tang--and then the earthy and woody aromas inch their way to the forefront. Tremendous.

A sweet and woody, though complex, quad. This beer is divine. The earth and vanilla from the oak is an excellent combination to the somewhat sweet, bready, tangy, and fruity quad. The dark fruits and bread are certainly this beer's magnificent base, but the Belgian yeast and oak add another fantastic layer.

Thin to medium bodied, though with high carbonation. A joy.

A tremendous oak-aged version of a fantastic quad. I would love to try this one again...and again...and again...

4.52/5  rDev +5.4%

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

I bought this bottle at the Drankengeers in Oostakker Belgium. I am really looking out to take a sip of this beer. I have a bottle of batch no. 5.

A - A beautiful hazy dark amber. There is a lot of yeast swirling around in my glass. I didn't shake the bottle, but still it there. The foam disappears rather quickly, and a thin layer remains. There is no carbonation in my glass.

S - Oh, a very strong oak smell mixed with a sour scent. That is something I dislike in a beer.

T - Velvet! This is really something different than the original one. I can already say that I liked the original one more, but this is a beautiful attempt to make something good, better! The sourness is gone though.

M - The taste makes an evolution in your mouth, first comes a little sweet from the original, second there is the medium carbonation, than comes the white wines tones, after that comes the oak, through to a slightly dry and bitter finish. After swallowing, the tastes of fresh oak lingers around and around.

O - Like I said; a beautiful attempt to make something good even better.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.