La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged) - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged)La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: PapaEugene on 11-06-2009

In 2009, the Koningshoeven brewery reinstated an age-old tradition: aging La Trappe Quadrupel in oak barrels (also known as ‘barriques’).

This way of aging ale results in a unique, complex flavour, which varies from one type of barrel to another. Quadrupel can be conserved for many years, and is a real treat for true ale enthusiasts. And this is yet another ale that continues to ferment after bottling, while its rich taste and high tannin content are likely to even surprise many a wine drinker!

BATCH 1 (blended on June 1, 2010).
New Oak Heavy Toast - 18.2%
New Medium Acasia - 9.1%
Port Medium Burnt - 36.4%
Port Medium Toast - 36.4%

BATCH 2 (blended on July 26, 2010).
New Medium Oak Toast - 9%
Port Medium Burnt Toast (Amer. Oak) - 64%
Port Medium Burnt Toast (French Oak) - 9%
Port Medium Toast (French Oak) - 18%

BATCH 3 (blended on September 17, 2010).
New Oak Medium Toast - 18%
Port Medium Toast (French Oak) - 55%
La Trappe Q. Medium Toast (French Oak) - 27%

BATCH 4 (blended on 5 November 2010).
New Oak Medium Toast - 27%

White wine used Oak Heavy Toast - 80%

BATCH 8 (blended in October 2011):
Whiskey - 70%
New Fr. Oak Medium Toast - 30%

BATCH 14 (blended on June 24, 2013).
Acacia Wood - 7%
New Oak Barrels - 11%
Limousine Barrels with Cognac - 82%

BATCH16 (blended in March 2014)
Brandy 36,5%
Oloroso 27%
New Oak Medium Toast 10%
New Oak High Toast 10%
Late Burgundy 10%
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged) Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -58.3%

This is batch 8. According to the bottle there is "pleasant variation from batch to batch."

Pours a dark red-brown color. No head and not much lacing despite 10% abv.
Smells almost like a whiskey, with oak and muted fruit scents. Some burned toast in there too.
Taste is a smokey beef jerky, finishes with some sweet caramel.

Overall it's not very enjoyable. The smell is quite unique and even attractive, but the beer drinks like liquefied beef jerky. I'm glad I had the chance to try it, but keep in mind that this is not a "better" version of the normal La Trappe. This is a different beer entirely.

I realize my rating may be considered a bit stingy but I am drinking this without any consideration given to the La Trappe label or the high price of this beer. It is afterall still a drink, and unfortunately this one just isn't very good. (845 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -47.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Presentation: small, 12.7 fl oz corked and caged bottle. Price: $14.99 per small bottle. I was warned off of this buy the liquor store man who's knowledgeable in Belgians, stating, "it tastes like an ashtray". I'm a smoker. I'll take the risk. I've not tasted the beer yet. (Edit at the end of my review: now that I've tasted it, his judgment was borne out, although it wasn't as bad as he claimed it to be.)

Batch 7. Poured at 50ºF.

A: Pours a very dark, relatively clear dried-blood red colour, with copious amounts of black yeast floaties/lees in the bottle (whether due to a poor pour or what, I don't know - I poured it gently and am generally good at pouring Trappists and bottle-conditioned ales). Hardly any appearance of carbonation, with a small, loose, soapy head that quickly recedes in to a ring. Lacing is surprisingly strong for such a weak head. The large amount of lees are unappetizing; for whatever reason they are there: appearance is no higher than 3.25 at most. I've still yet to taste the beer.

S: Stale smoke and ash. Nothing else comes through. 2.5.

T: Decent on the front-palate, displaying alcohol and dark fruit typical to the style, with a finish of incredibly dry, caustic stale ash, as if from an ashtray. There is an after-finish of sweetness. This beer coats the mouth. There is a mild malt backbone, and virtually non-existent hop character. Ash comes through strong. The charred oak character of this beer is SEVERELY unbalanced by anything else; if this was a Scotch whisky, maybe the alcohol would balance out the blackened oak taste.

Several more sips confirm my suspicion. The taste of this beer is not good, but it's not (that) horrible either. Below average.

M: Sweet water with an admixture of ash and alcohol. No carbonation, very unlively. Very poor. There is a sand-like feeling on the palate, however strange that may sound.

D: Almost nonexistent. No wonder this isn't served in 750mL bottles. I can't finish a 375mL.

O: Strongly disappointed with my first tasting of a Koningshoeven Trappist brew. I'll try some of their regular, non oak-aged stuff, next time. Speaking blasphemy, yet nevertheless true blasphemy, I would rather drink a BMC than this most any day, not even taking in to consideration the outrageous price ($30/750mL). Considering the price, this is a bad beer.

One thumbs down, one thumb horizontal, in the position of a Roman Magistrate deciding whether to give the death-sentence to the gladiator today, or whether to give him a stay of execution until the next time he's in the arena.

The beer looks like blood, and has a mild feel of sand: how fitting then, to say, as in the Sam Raimi Spartacus series, "Blood and Sand". Or as Mat Cauthon from the Wheel of Time would say, even more apropos, "Blood and bloody ashes" (as a curse), as this beer tastes like ashes. (2,842 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -36.7%

This was batch 9. Poured into a snifter. Heavy pour no head to speak of. Poured at 52 degrees
into a clean glass. I was alarmed at the pour. I had stored it in on my cellar floor in the dark, temp about 60 degrees should not have been a problem, others have done fine. Must have been the retail store or in shipping that made it go bad. Look stayed cloudy but no floaties.

It smelled ok, not spoiled but too much alcohol.

It had sour note with fruitiness. I don't care to go in-depth. Very disappointed because I had a batch 11 and it was very good. I rated it 4.5.

Mouth was flat. Unappealing.

Overall, I was very let down. Not often I get a bad beer. $15.99 down the drain, although I did drink it. Just suffered through it because I could not pour it out. (765 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -32.6%

Batch #3

A. Heavy brownish read in color with a non filtered appearance.

S. Smell is, well, disappointing, no real hints of oak, or as far as thats concerned anything at all, very tame.

T. Taste is very mild and tame, which could be seen as a positive thing given that it hides the the high ABV.

Mouthfeel: is very light with a heavy carbonation , very mild bodied and a soft finish.

Overall: The tamest most non memorable Trappist that I have had, if there was a style to tie it to I would call it a session Trappist, But this beer under-delivers for being a $15 bottle, disappointed, yes. (595 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -30.5%

Batch 11 from 375 cl bottle. I paid $14. Generally I like or love Belgian Ales. This one was a big disappointment for me. The "cork" was made of some plastic that was very difficult to remove- I had to use a 16" set of Knipex pliers. Once I got past this issue I was excited about the pour. But disappointed that there was not even a millimeter of foam. This was seriously deficient in carbonation for me. I almost wanted to throw it out and drink something else. I did get through it and the taste was not so bad as it had complexity and flavor going for it. It didn't look pretty to me in a tulip glass-- Too thick, no bubbles, looked like flat cola to me. I haven't seen any Batch 11 reviews here so I thought this might add to the many reviews. Could be Batch 11 is particularly bad. (787 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I can tell this is a good beer. However I had Batch # 7 is very smokey and peaty which overpowers the beer. When I have a chance to try another batch I will update my review. (174 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a goblet. K03E11 10:32, Batch 7 (I think, though I can't be sure since the "7" is printed on the black part of the label). I performed a feat of strength when I got this cork out.

3.25 A: Murky purplish brown color. Just a touch of beige head that didn't last too long.

3.75 S: Twould appear that this is one of the whiskey versions. Though I can identify the aroma as whiskey, it has a strange rubber/latex component to it. Despite how it sounds, it's not unpleasant. TONS of date aroma in this, probably more so than in any other beer I've sniffed. Caramel, fig, toastiness, and plum. Whiskey does a good job of not overpowering the base beer and for that I'm thrilled. Aside from the rubbery aroma, the whiskey offers a solid earthiness, plenty of peat, and oak. Strange, but quite nice.

3.25 T: The taste is fine, but it falls flat (more on that in the MF). The base beer can't compete with the whiskey despite the whiskey not being overly strong. Date, brown sugar, fig, toastiness, plum, and molasses are still there, but they all play second fiddle to the whiskey. It is for this reason that I believe most Belgian styles do not benefit from any flavored barrel treatment, though I still can't help myself from trying them. Anyway, peaty whiskey gives earth and oak again.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. There isn't enough carbonation. I like my Belgians spritzy and bubbly and this doesn't have enough carbonation to fulfill that. Otherwise, it's not bad. Goes down super easy.

3.25 D: It's an easy drink, but it doesn't have enough quality in the taste or mouthfeel to justify paying $15 for it. Give it a try if you must. (1,645 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Batch #7 (the first of the Whiskey barrel aged batches), Blended in June 2011, consumed in June 2015.

The regular La Trappe Quad is one of my favorites of the style. This was $15 for a 12oz bottle, and was apparently aged entirely in used Whiskey barrels. Poured into a La Trappe chalice, there was absolutely no head on it. Not sure the whiskey barrels did it any favor. I cannot detect any of the flavor of the Quad itself, that having been swamped out by peat and smoke, in both flavor and aroma. The alcohol is well masked, but leaves a pleasant warming sensation on my tongue/throat.

Presented with another chance to purchase a bottle from Batch #7, I'd probably pass it up. However, other batches look more interesting, and the base quad is always pleasant. (767 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottle from Gourmet Haus Staudt. Batch 3.

Muddy amber, atypically pale for a quad. The head rises fairly high, but quickly settles to a film. There's some scattered lacing.

There's a ton of banana on the nose, totally uncharacteristic of the style but fairly enjoyable all the same. Some phenolic spice, alcohol and spicy oak round things out.

The palate likewise has a huge ripe banana flavor. Sweet, malty, lightly boozy and vinous. I don't get a ton of oak, not even much tannin in the finish. Spicy phenols appear in the finish, along with mild but noticeable alcohol. Ends on a semi-dry note.

Overall it's a pretty good beer, though the huge banana character was unexpected and not very quad-like. (706 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375mL brown glass cork and caged bottle. Batch 3. Opened at 55 degrees from my cellar.

Pours a deep dark mahogany with some wispy off-white head. Nose is all about big vanilla bean shoving it's way past some banana-yeast to stand as the king over this aroma.

Palate is sharp with alcohol right off the bat. That big vanilla, bourbon-like presence is dominant. Lots of sweetness and that banana-y yeast flavor battling it out. Caramel and a suggestion of the classic wool flavor.

Notes: This beer is super sweet and getting into the cloying territory. I would have like more wood tannin or some extra hops to bring balance back to this beer. I do appreciate the uniqueness of the style and dig that it came from a Trappist brewery. (733 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%

Jazzed to have this turn up in a local bottle shop, always enjoyed this brewry, & the happy to have a chance to try the oak-aged version of their quad. Not so jazzed about the small bottle size & price, but what can you do?

Popped the cork on this 12.7 oz. bottle & poured into my Dreamweaver glass that's getting a workout tonight. Pours a very dark orange. Smell is pure, recently mined rock candy. Straight-up sugar, nothing else. No hint of oaking.

La Trapped Oak Aged Quad is rich, fruity, head-spinningly sweet all-round. Very loud apples & pears, dripping liquid corn sugar, drown out the best of the beer. The oak is a distant spectator at best, really just dries out the aftertaste. Other dark fruits, figgy stuff, things that should be grown in Greece, heavy overripe bananas, heart-burn inducing spices. Ends on a bit of a darker note. I am wishing I'd split this little bottle with my lovely wife, now, the sweetness is going to be tough to down.

Well, good, but a bit disappointing. The sweetness just dominates with a whip & a heel, & everything else slinks around trying to avoid notice. Good brew, but I was hoping for a bit more distinction in the oaking. (1,178 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -15%

Batch 3, poured from a bottle into a tulip.

Deep, tawny copper, dark and hazy enough to slightly obscure my fingers behind it. A soapy, one-finger head the color of cream crowns the beer for just a second before fizzling away to a thin ring, leaving behind horizontal streaks of lace as I drink.

The nose: tobacco, maple, raisins, banana, bubblegum, alcohol, smoky wood. I was told this batch was aged in sherry casks, but if I didn't know better, I'd say this spent time with scotch.

The flavor matches the nose well, though there's an increased breadiness and more alcohol than I expected. As it warms, the smokiness of the barrels gives way to the fruitier flavors, and a much better balance is achieved.

Light-bodied and bubbly like soda, with moderate carbonation and a pretty big alcohol burn. I could use more heft here.

Well, that was a bit of a disappointment. The barrel-aging adds a bit of interest, but the underlying brew just doesn't have the complexity of other top-tier quads. It was, at least, interesting with some parmesan. (1,051 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a deep and surprisingly clear amber/mahogony. 2 fingers of tightly packed bubbly foam. Decent retention. Leaves lots of splattered lines of lacing.

S - medium intense aroma. Lots of ripe fruit. Mostly red. Soft notes of over ripe strawberries, slightly tart raspberries, red apple skins, and juicy plums. Hints of cinnamon, cloves, and wood round out the nose.

T - deep toasty malt profile. The subtle oak character adds to the soft toasty and toffee like malts. Sweet and tart fruits enter mid palate. Hints of pepper and anisette on the backend of the palate. Long warming finish.

M - medium bodied. Slick Buttery texture. High carbonation.

O - nice beer. I was expecting a touch more oak influence but there is enough to satisfy. (747 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Got this one at Geers in Gent a while back on another cool trip with Doops. Cheers!

From a 375ml cork and caged bottle into a La Trappe chalice.
Batch #2

APPEARANCE: Pours a smaller, medium looking off-white head with decent retention. Colour is a hazy sangria or maroon red with lots of carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a thin film that stays until the end and leaves some nice lacing down the sides. Much the same as the regular quad, though with a somewhat smaller head.

SMELL: Definitely a quad that’s been in oak barrels. The quad characteristics, however, have been taken over by the barrel somewhat. Definite oak and vanilla aromas in there, with only hints of caramel and dark fruits in the background. Just a touch of spicy yeast underneath, but this is now more about the barrel and less about the base quad. Alright, but a little mute and not as interesting as the base.

TASTE: Much like the nose, though bolder and more enjoyable. The barrel is not overpowering by any means, certainly plays the lead role over the base beer. Some oak and vanilla up front, with a hint of caramel and dark fruits though the middle. Some plumbs and raisins are still there, trying to push their way through the oak flavors. A good dose of spicy yeast, with all the clove and pepper flavors that accompany it, come through at the swallow. A bolder and lingering aftertaste of sweet oak barrel notes and spicy yeast works well.

PALATE: Similar palate to the base beer. Medium body and carbonation. Not quite as creamy as the base, but goes down fine and finishes slightly mouth-coating. The barrel ageing has mellowed the alcohol burn a bit, which is a nice touch. Good feel.

OVERALL: I enjoyed this brew for sure. While the nose was a little less interesting and the palate a little flatter, the taste profile was quite intriguing. As a quad fan, this oak aged version blended the barrel with the base quad quite well, but consequently muted the base quad slightly in order to make room for the barrel. La Trappe quad is a very bold and flavorful brew, so it’s not surprising that the barrel had to make room for itself somewhere. Regardless, this is the first barrel aged trappist to my knowledge, and based on how enjoyable this one was, I hope we see some BA Rochefort 10 and Westvleteren 12 soon enough. Well done La Trappe! Cheers! (2,353 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

375 mL bottle poured into a Kuhnhenn snifter. Batch 6.

Appearance - I hate synthetic corks. Finally removing it yields nary a pop, but it pours carbonated. Not much of a head atop a murky reddish brown body. Deeper brown than red. Nice lacing sticks around the glass and a few surface bubbles persist.

Smell - Oak and a ton of caramel. Not anywhere near as much dark fruit as I'd like, but it's there. More of a dark brown sugar sweet aroma. Vanilla is there, too, but it just makes it smell sweeter. Banana yeasty esters, too.

Taste - Lots of caramel again. Oak comes through. Not sweet, really, but a lot of caramel malt. Brown sugar. The fruity malts wait until the end to come through with an oaky finish. Vanilla throughout, but it's not a dominant flavor.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation. Heavy for the style. Nowhere near dry enough for me. Not as boozy as the regular bottled version.

Overall - I was excited for this, but it's too sweet and not fruity enough. The oak doesn't mask the missing flavors. In fact, the oak makes it seem sweeter. Perhaps I'm being too critical. I still enjoy drinking it, but I was expecting more. Probably because I had a Rochefort 10 the night before. Nothing compares... (1,212 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -13.3%

I bought this bottle at the Drankengeers in Oostakker Belgium. I am really looking out to take a sip of this beer. I have a bottle of batch no. 5.

A - A beautiful hazy dark amber. There is a lot of yeast swirling around in my glass. I didn't shake the bottle, but still it there. The foam disappears rather quickly, and a thin layer remains. There is no carbonation in my glass.

S - Oh, a very strong oak smell mixed with a sour scent. That is something I dislike in a beer.

T - Velvet! This is really something different than the original one. I can already say that I liked the original one more, but this is a beautiful attempt to make something good, better! The sourness is gone though.

M - The taste makes an evolution in your mouth, first comes a little sweet from the original, second there is the medium carbonation, than comes the white wines tones, after that comes the oak, through to a slightly dry and bitter finish. After swallowing, the tastes of fresh oak lingers around and around.

O - Like I said; a beautiful attempt to make something good even better. (1,077 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

The bottle states: 0:00 K24F13 BATCH 14

A: Hazy medium shade of dark brown beer, a lot like murky pond water (excuse the negative imagery). Very little white head that fades quickly. Decent lacing.

S: Alcohol right off the bat. A bit flowery smelling. Even with the strong alcohol, it has a very pleasant scent to it. It smells like a bag of dates before the nose is overwhelmed by the scent of alcohol.

T: Mellow alcohol flavor, with a sweetness like cotton candy. It's a very delicate and light beer. It's nice. The bottle says "Oak Aged Trappist Ale" however I do not notice any oak character. It's not very complex for a quad, and it is quite simple. It's enjoyable though.

M: The mouthfeel is perfect. It's nice and smooth with just the right carbonation, a nice clean finish that is refreshing.

O: Overall I'd say it's a very nice beer, just not an exceptional quad. It excels in simplicity and delicateness. The most prominent flavor is alcohol. Personally I would have liked a more complex and flavorful beer. For a beer with "oak" in the title, I would have liked some oak influence in the flavor and aroma. It's not something I would probably buy again, because it just wasn't memorable enough. (1,209 characters)

Batch 3

A- A very deep ruby red color, almost a burnt brown color. Little white lacing, started with a decent head, but quickly subsided.

S- Belgian dark sugars, with some hints of banana that are more apparent than you would think. Awesome but mellow aroma.

T- Dark fruits, no sugar taste. Caramel malts and mild fruit flavors is what i get. Very clean for the style.

M- Nice and light on the palate, some bubbles from the mild swish in the mouth...typical of a trappist.

O- Very good beer, but i felt it was a TAD bit of a let down. None the less a good beer, but not great. (581 characters)

Batch #9

A: Beautiful light brown beer with a good head.

S: The smell of lime.

T: Lots of lemon flavor and also some sweet flavors.

M: Low carbonation, reasonable ratio.

O: Prima drinkable and delicious aftertaste.

Batch #9 and batch #1 should be the best until now. (272 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

375ml. bottle Batch #3 poured into my Duvel Tulip.

Appearance: Virtually identical in appearance to the standard La Trappe Quad. Nice light brown, almost amber, lighter than expected (certainly much lighter than other Quads/Dark ales). Decent head and minimal lacing.

Smell: The Port announces itself immediately, so dominant that it’s difficult to detect any dark fruit aromas underneath.

Taste: Wow, a very different beer. The Port alcohol is up front, the key flavor component to this bottle. The flavors present in the original quad are very muted and almost hard to detect. Not a bad experience but a very different one, this is a boozy quad.

Mouth feel: Good carbonation, smooth and not too thin from the barrel aging.

Overall: I drank this beer immediately after having a La Trappe Quad and as I said above it is truly its own animal. Honestly I prefer their standard Quad as there is more diversity in flavor. This one was dominated by the Port. (961 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 12
Softer pour yields no head. Cloudy burnt umber.

Aroma of mild oak and bourbon. Brown sugar and maple syrup. More dried candied dates than raisins.

Bourbony mild. Brown sugar and dates. Mild oak and substitute vanilla extract.

Short finish. Bubblegum esters linger. Light bodied, flat and clean.

Not much in the way of the bourbon oak cask. I was rooting you bourbon. Cheap rubber/plastic cork provided (which I could barely pull out) for such a highly esteemed brewery. Surprised at how flat this is. A pleasant quaff nonetheless. Very easy drinking. But has this quad fully succeeded the intention. I was expecting more for the money spent but oh well. Overall a ho hum quad and a basic meh! (720 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Small pop from corked bottle K22I10 Batch 3 (Sept 2010 blending)...poured in Konings Hoeven tulip glass.
Rich copper light brown color, with particulates - floaties. Small bubbles hang around the edges.
Aroma of bourbon, rum, sour tropical fruits.
Light carbonation and a rich, robust mouthfeel.
Flavors of bourbon, cola, oak tannin, funky fruit rind, dark candy sugar. The barrels for this batch were as follows, with the number representing the percentage of each type of barrel:
New Oak Medium Toast 18%
Port Medium Toast (French Oak) 55%
La Trappe Q. Medium Toast (French Oak) 27%

Those barrels and 10% gives a very barrel aged liquor flavor, with less alcohol heat and more malt. This is a rich, full bodied, complex brew. After 10 minutes there are more flavors emerging…raisins, plums, cherry candy, honey, candy sugar. Subtle notes of chocolate, sage, toothpaste. Twenty minutes later there’s still a nice small head, less liquor in the aroma, and a somewhat smoother mouthfeel but there’s still a mouth puckering kick!
I'd suggest this could age well for at least three more years. Good with desserts and cigars! (1,128 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A sipper. Batch 4 at The Ginger Man. Fruity appearance with an eighth inch of white head and lacey. Above average in every way and less fruity and sweet than the non BA version. A tad acidic. Fruity and citrus. Alcohol warming. Full bodied, with oaky taste there and it is balanced. Wonder how complex this would be in five years.
Batch 3 was lost on the potluck of ageing. Very boozy, not greatly drinkable. (409 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Batch 6

Pours dark amber in La Trappe chalice. Almost no head. Slight bit of cream colored bubbles around sides of glass.

Smell is of characteristic ripe fruit (plums), and caramel. Also a heavy alcohol presence.

Taste is sweet malt with lots of caramel and some light smokey oak. Taste is boozy. Some moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel is very creamy and full bodied. Moderate carbonation.

Overall this was a little too boozy for me. Not my favorite of the Quads, but I can understand the appeal of this for others. I did'nt know anything about this beer before I opened it. Probably should have let it cellar for a year or so. (629 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Batch #3

Pours an opaque orange hued brown body with an off white head.

The bouquet is both complex and unique. Bananas, apples, plumbs, brown sugar, and spice.

Brown sugar and malty sweetness start things out on the front of the palate. Fruity esters of banana, spicey phenols, and subtle oak notes add layers of flavor. The spice seems to turn slightly astringent on the finish.

One of the mildest uses of oak aging I've come across. If you were expecting some big vanilla or wine notes, you won't find them here. Maybe the barrel was going neutral by the time it was filled with beer. This bottle is over a year old, but in my experience, barrel flavors don't really mellow over time. The yeast character and sweet malt are the primary flavors. I don't know that it delivers the goods for the price (~$15 per 375), but it is a good beer. I feel a bit let down, but I've never been the biggest La Trappe fan anyway. (921 characters)

La Trappe Quadrupel (Oak Aged) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.