La Trappe Dubbel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Dubbel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)La Trappe Dubbel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Trappe Dubbel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -68.2%

Kikat2680, Jun 18, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -55.5%

CopperMtnPlowboy, Dec 08, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

Bpvarona, Sep 26, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed 3/24/2006 (11.2oz bottle):

Pours a dark brown/black colored body, with a white-tan head. Has a nice aroma of molasses, and flowers. Fizziness in the taste, some molasses, slight floralness, and a dry aftertaste, not bitter. Has a warming mouthfeel.

jujubeast6000, Dec 19, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -31.3%

A - little hazy very dark orange and amber
S - dark fruits - raisins, plums, light rum and syrupy malt
T - I got some perfume and oil taste, maybe badly stored before bought. However dark fruits in the body and winy and little dry end
M - medium to hight carbonation with medium body
D - not much drinkable since the perfume and oil taste, but I can bet other bottles or tap beer will be lot more better

pinkano, Feb 03, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -30.5%

750ml bottle, dated best-before 12-2005.

Pours dark brown with big pillowy tan head and lots of lacing. Smells almost too sweet; caramel and candi malts on strong alcohol base. Taste and mouth-feel are very poor; a mess of sticky, carbonated, and overwhelmingly boozy bubble-gum that overpowers everything else. No hop-profile or dryness to speak of. An exceedingly inferior dubbel.

dgallina, Sep 18, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -30%

Hellpop65, Sep 09, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours opaque brown in color with a foamy 2 finger tan head that dissipated quickly; lacing didn't last long either and slid down the glass fast.

Smells like sweet malt, yeast, wheat bread, syrup, caramel, rum, and other spices, but has an overall sweet aroma.

Tastes of brown sugar, yeast, sweet malt, grains, wheat bread, coriander, spices, syrup, caramel, rum, raisin, plum or slight sour apple, maybe some licorice and/or cinnamon. Pretty sweet flavor overall, and almost too sweet; there are some sweet complex tastes like the brown sugar and syrup, but the balance is not there to make this worth drinking more than one in a session. The alcohol peeks through, giving off some heat like a rum or bourbon.

Mouthfeel is smooth with very little carbonation and a medium body that's almost chewy.

Drinkability was low as this beer was just too sweet for me.

CHickman, Dec 15, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Dark brown in hue, impressive, plus there is a ruby influence as well. The liquid is lovely to look at. A beige head formed and at the apex the foam was one finger in height. Head retention was fair, it quickly faded to a soapy cap, naked in spots… then there was nothing on top. There was no subsequent lacing… what a shame. I loved the liquid but there is nothing else worth a damn about the appearance. Yawn.

The nose is very lackluster. It says nothing that convinces me this is a) Belgian or b) a Dubbel. All I detect is apples, some dark fruits, and some sweet and supple maltiness (very difficult to detect). There is a kiss of alcohol at the back. This nose lacks potency and articulation. It is not inviting… it seems to be “trying” though. Unlike, say, Chimay, what I do smell I like but I don’t smell nearly enough of it. This is sadly average.

The palate is very average… I don’t like Dubbels that are gimpy like this (or any kind of beer for that matter). Where is the malty goodness? Where is the yeasty depth? Sure there are dark fruits (like plums, dates, and grapes) and red apples, even some figs. And sure there is some tasty and slightly sweet maltiness. It is like alcoholic cake but there isn’t nearly enough of it. It is too clean and too insignificant. It is very monotonous. The palate is very damn average.

Light in body, moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is too thin and watery, especially for the style. To say the mouthfeel is below average would be an understatement. Pathetic.

Drinkable? Like water. Beer shouldn’t be so. I can’t recommend anything to pair this with, food-wise. I say don’t drink it. I purchased my 750ml on sale in Parkville, MO for $3.00. I wouldn’t buy it again for half that. Skip.

bditty187, Jun 06, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

A - A deep ruby color with one finger of creamy brown head.

S - Dark candied sugars, dark fruits, alcohol and white cake.

T - A lightly sweet malty flavor with a bit of a subtle fig and cherry taste. A touch of alcohol in the flavor as well that makes for a shot-o-vodka like aftertaste.

M - Frothy, medium thickness, slightly refreshing.

D - The alcohol does the most damage here. It is a decent double, but there are much better ones out there.

mrasskicktastic, Nov 16, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

Well, this beer didn't make a great first impression by fizzing out of the bottle and onto the carpet when opened. Anyway...

A: Typical Dubbel dark brown - very little head considering how obviously over-carbonated it is.

S: Some nice sugary, malty notes hidden there somewhere under the overpowering peardrops aromatics from the yeast.

T: Again, could be some nice subtle flavours if they didn't insist on using a highly phenolic yeast at a too warm temperature (guessing, but unless they're pouring nail varnish in there I think I'm right).

M: Unsurprisingly, mostly bubbles. Luckily no CO2 bite, but a bit too foamy to allow you to really taste it.

D: The peardrop flavour quickly becomes tiring. I would probably switch to something else after one bottle (or after the half I'm left with that's not on the floor).

Unfortunately, I find La Trappe the least impressive of the Trappist beers. Perhaps, unsurprisingly they are also the most commercialised and it's not even clear how involved the monks really are with the brewing anymore - I believe Bavaria do most of the work these days. I think this shows in the beers which don't really live up to the standards set by the other Trappist breweries.

BarryNL, Mar 07, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

The smell is quite odd, not something I'm fond of. I can't put my finger on what exactly it is I'm smelling, but it's certainly not pleasant to my nose.

After the pour the head dissipates quite quickly and struggles to lace the glass. It's not the most appealing Dubbel I've seen, but is far from the worst.

Taste wise, this brew is absolutely dominated by chocolate malts. Hints of fruit are present, distinctly cherry, and thankfully it lends a hand in the balancing process, even if only slightly. It has an aftertaste filled with alcohol warmth and I dare say the taste of tobacco. The more I drink, the less I like it.

It's a very smooth Dubbel, but I do believe it's not heavy enough to warrant such a strong chocolate malt flavour. The upside to its weight is that it may increase session drinkability for those who enjoy it.

It's something worth trying, but not something I'd recommend.

rec, Jan 21, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

750ml into a tulip. Pours a deep dark mahogany, when an inch remains it is a gorgeous reddish golden bronze. Medium sized bubbles produced a medium head that was short lived, unexceptional lacing.

The dark caramel malts are obvious in the aroma. Phenols of cloves round out the scent. Some aromas have a quality of weight, this is heavy.

Mostly typical dubbel taste but the phenols are strong in the flavor as well and the alcohol while not strong is surprisingly obvious. The aftertaste has a slight metallic echo.

As a trappist brew I'm always biased in favor but the blessings of the monks are not enough to raise this beyond upper mediocrity.
cheers
jd

impending, Oct 17, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -24.9%

Eye: Dark Brown and opaque. The head is tiny with fairly poor retention and moderately acceptable lacing. I've seen better.

Nose: Three words, picked up in this order: spicy, alcoholic, malty. Something in there reminds me of the aroma of whiskey, jack daniels to be exact...or maybe its just me. Also some sweet notes in there as well.

Tongue: Lots of malty sweetness going on here. I also get a good deal of diacetyl. A little hot at the finish, the presence of alcohol is more felt than tasted. I'm also picking up some caramel closer to the finish. Eh, its alright....

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Really heavily carbonated. I expected something high, but I believe that this is too much; seems to me that the carbonation is scrubbing the tongue before I have a chance to really taste the brew, really gets in the way. I'll finish my glass and enjoy it, but this is a beer I'll not buy again. However, I'd not be opposed to drinking it again, if offered I'd gladly accept, but its not worth the money.

becktone, Oct 23, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -24.2%

11.2oz bottle poured into my Gouden glass...A medium brown, amber in the light. a boring tan head of only about a finger, falls quickly, bad lacing...A really light aroma, plums, sugar and alcohol, not complex enough for me...The taste is really boring, a watered down cherry coke, dark fruits, and alcohol...An amazingly light feel.

This is just lacking all respects.

jrallen34, Nov 17, 2010

brinch, Apr 11, 2012

draftpunk, Apr 08, 2013

MacarthurParker, Feb 12, 2013

goaman, Jul 05, 2014

pin, May 27, 2013

Trappist Ale

Came in a corked bottle. Once the cork came off the brew was just dying to escape. The first quick pour was very heady, and then promptly settled.
The deep brown color was mildly cloudy.
Aroma was dry, as if it had been sitting in a corked bottle for awhile. Sharp/sweet aroma reminiscent of wine.

Earthy sweet taste in a medium bodied ale made this a memorable drink.

-edit-
I now read that this Ale is fermented in the bottle.

Gump, Oct 02, 2003

donactive, Oct 28, 2012

Poured from 750ml bottle into chalice glass. Golden orange colour with a foamy white head. Malty aroma with notes of spices, fruits and alcohol. The flavour is malts, spices, alcohol and some fruitiness with a bitter finish. Medium-bodied and smooth mouthfeel. Pretty decent dubbel but not the best.

CuriousMonk, Jan 28, 2011

SVD, Wednesday at 08:00 PM

luistaylor, Dec 22, 2011
La Trappe Dubbel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.