La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-30-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

From a 11.2 ounce bottle, pours a hazy orange-yellow color.
This is more challenging than the dubbel with some IPA characteristics in taste and smell. Grapefruit notes and bitterness to be found (I'm not a fan of grapefruit). The sweetness found in this reminds me of caramel and/or butterscotch.
There's a warming alcohol feel and sourness which I find to be a little too present... maybe some phenols going on.
This is not my favorite offering from La Trappe, but lovers of tripels will have little to complain about here.
Clearly a lovingly crafted creation.

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

When I poored this beer, at first the beer was blonde, then it switched to a reddish amber golden beer. At first a generous head, that slowly dissapeared. Smell of malt mostly with a tiny shy hoppish smell that is present. Some bit of watery smell is also present.

Taste is at first the alcohol, then caramelish with some note of fruits, spicy, actually the spices come finish the beer.

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Another lovely Trappe beer. Pours a pretty grapefruit-esque type color, a sort of strawberry blonde with a miniscule amount of head that disappears very quickly.

Smells fruity, some banana scents and other fruits. The first sip is a bit overpowering, IPA-y, harsh, but it grows on you relatively quickly, and becomes a more crisp taste. Lovely array of fruits, and an almost fresh baked bread smell that works its way in to your palate. There's a slight lemony tartness that prevails as well- I don't mind it, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I can see pairing this up with a variety of foods- but what comes to mind first is some sort of nutty flavors, or maybe a sweet potato or brown sugar concoction.

Mouthfeel is nice, maybe just a tich too watery, and quite drinkable- for 8%, the alcohol isn't overpowering or too present, which is nice. Very tasty beer. I would buy this again.

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

An 11.2 ounce bottle served at 49 degrees. There is no date on the bottle.

The amber beers pours nicely into my chalice. I slight fluffy head, appears and but disappears just as quickly. You can see tiny bubble floating up through the brew.

This beer has a slight flora aroma without any alcohol nose.

The first sip is quite strong with alcohol and has a lingering finish. It has a spicy carbonation that feels nice on the tongue. As the temperature of the beer graduatlly warms, I am warming to the flavor. At first sip, definitely not my favorite, but now, enjoyable.

I wouldn't want to drink more than one of these at a sitting, and would recommend starting with a milder alcohol tasting beer.

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%

Ha! I guess I already reviewed this beer, I forgot! Thanks to the blog-style review I can just add my notes!

Dark copper in hue with a peachy-bronze influence, the liquid is a tad darker then I was expecting. The head was off-white in color; at the apex the foam was almost two-fingers in height. Head retention was solid; it slowly faded to a soapy cap that lasted for most of the consumption. The subsequent lacing was spotty but healthy and thick where it stuck. Overall, this beer looks enticing.

The first sniff said, “Tripel.” I love that. It is textbook but nothing more. There is perfect harmony between red apple fruitiness, mangos, bubblegum, soft caramel candy (from the malt), and spicy hops. The potency is low, I wish it was more articulate and forceful, this is a common complaint with Belgian beers, sometimes there is great complexity but it is too soft. This is the case with this beer. It is inviting nevertheless but it is far from special.

The palate is soft and frankly too sweet for a Tripel. Where are the hops? I don’t detect enough bitterness and there is a deficiency of hop flavors. The malt is very muddled, there needs to be a firmer malt backbone with a more pronounced toasty/caramel flavor. The finish is too yeasty for me; don’t get me wrong this is not Chimay (which is a yeast bomb). The yeast fruitiness is the most pronounced flavors, red apples mainly. The alcohol is hidden. Overall, the palate is very average and I am being generous. This is not a good Tripel. I’m bored with it after about half a glass. The palate is such a mess. There are few Tripels that I’ve reviewed that are worse than this. The long aftertaste won’t let me forget this fact either!

Medium in body, moderately low carbonation, the mouthfeel is sluggish which, sadly, fits the palate all too well. On the tongue it is too lazy. Food pairings? Maybe, a piece of pecan pie with vanilla ice cream.

Drinkable? Sure… if you like a mess of a Tripel. I don’t. I can’t see myself drinking this beer again. Of course, I could forget I’ve drunk this in three or four years and try it again (d’oh!). I hope not. I purchased my 750ml bottle in Parkville, MO for $3. I got ripped off.

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

A high pour into a St. Bernardus goblet reveals a peachy orange brew topped by an impressive mound of frothy white head which retains for a short time, gradually setling into a thin veil that remains throughout. Globules of lace adorn my goblet.

Very tripel aromas of sweet tropical fruit including mango, apricot, pinapple, and peach, clove, ginger, oranges, and banana bread. Spicey Belgian yeast is a staple here, along with a touch of oaky, celler-must.

The flavor is less sweet than the nose would indicate, there is plenty of crisp, ripe fruit flavors. It is not as complex as some tripels, but very tastey regardless. There is a general yeastiness which carries it through to a rather dry, light finish with a hint of warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, with exaggerated carbonation of medium bubbles. Texture is smooth and quite airy on the tongue.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

orangy amber color and as my girlfreind commented, "that looks really carbonated." she was right. didnt notice to much of a head. smell kinda tinges my nose with alcohol flavors and grassy hay ntoes. also a bit of apples and apricots. grape nteos oddly are the first thing i noticed on my tounge. belgiany sugary taste. nothing outstanding original but solid and well crafted. very drinkable. alcohol content never comes into play except in the smell.

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours a beautiful dark ruby with a nice creamy head, good retention as well as lacing. Hearty carbonation. When I take a quick whiff, though, oh my god! The alcohol astringency was very present in the nose from the get go. It smelled more like a flavored vodka or rum than a beer. So, what the heck, I try a nice mouthful anyway. As cold as my fridge would make it, the brew was drinkable. It had a complex taste pattern with various hops, fruits, caramels. They were rather subdued to the frigidness. I did let it warm up slightly, but the super alcoholness soon became apparent. It was more like medicine at that point. Mouthfeel was smooth with some nice butterscoth notes disregarding the alcohol astringency.

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

poured as a hazy orange-amber color with moderate attractive head that slowly dissapeared. The nose was typical of this style of beer. The taste was disappointing after everything I had heard about it though it did improve as it warmed. It was a drinkable trippel as the alcohol was weel hidden

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a medium golden amber, slightly hazy, with a large coarse head that fades pretty quickly. Left some lace behind. Aroma is sweet, lightly malty, with fruity and spicy notes. Taste is slightly bready, alcohol notes apparent. Fruity... maybe grape and a little banana as it warms. Peppery finish. Mild butterscotch aftertaste. Better than I thought it woud be!

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

While not an overly good tripel, this one is decent. Pours with a huge head of foam into the Koningshoeven glass. Foam subsides to a delicate head on the top. The smell is typical Belgian candi and a whiff of spices. Unfortunately, this one loses on taste. I think I just don't like their house yeast. It's grassy, sharp, or perhaps they do strange hop or spicing additions in all their beers.. Decent for a tripel, but too sharp and just this side of being overly carbonated.

4.9/5  rDev +24.4%

to me, the perfectest beer in production today.

appearance is beautiful.. from the 750ml it pours a picturesque amber with steady carbonation and a substantial head which leaves an intricate, thick lacing on the glass which is almost as fun to watch as the beer is to drink.

aroma is buttery yeast and has trappist written all over it, no matter what the official rules say. malts and heavy banana dominate the scent.

taste.. what can i say? crisp and refreshing at the perfect temperature. subtle fruit flavor with malt and bready yeast adding to the experience. spices noted include vanilla and nutmeg... absolutely no bitter aftertaste and totally smooth through the finish.

i'm saving the all 5 review for something that doesn't exist yet (it was almost benevolence from cbc).. but this is darn close.

the beer that introduced me to tripels and continues to be a beer closet staple

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance: The beer was poured into its appropriate chalice and there was a small head that went away pretty fast. This is dissapointing with a belgian. The lace stayed around which was nice. however. The beer itself is ruby/orange and a little cloudy.

Smell: Very spicy and estery with some sugary sweetness bringing it together.

Taste: Sweet like molasses and caramel. Hops are subtle but the spices are perfect. A very tasty beer!

Mouthfeel: A little watery. There is somewhat of a body but it seem washed out after you swallow the beer.

A great tasting beer but it does need some refinement.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Bought at Frugal Homebrewer and expiration date says april, 1996. So, with most trappist and european brewers putting 4 years on the "must drink by date", this beer could be 13 years old. Bought and drank same day of purchase, the day of this reveiw.

Poured into a St. Bernardus glass and left mostly all of the sediment out of the pour. Not much head in a freshly cleaned glass. Looks dark amber with no head, just a small lacing on the edges. Smells slightly yeasty and carmely and malty, wonderful trappist aromas. The beer doesn't seem as full flavored as when I tried it in Belgium, (bought at stores in and around Antwerpen). Maybe a hint of staleness, but it is welcome if anything; I do not think this exact beer would stale, rather age nicely. As beer warms its candi sugar flavors come alive and the mouthfeel is moderate to full. Drinkability is good and the beer puts me at ease with its 8% a.b.v. The alcoholic stregth is noticable but warming. I have had this beer several times before and this reveiw will have to reflect its age, which I will presume is 10-13 years old. This rating will also reflect the fact that I have tasted this fresh in Belguim numerous times, in which the beer was more fresh, more lively.

Maybe I will go back to the Frugal and buy this one to try out 5 years from now; the smells are very renemiscent of a trappist beer mixed with a barleywines smells trying to break through, still in the maturing process, but just about there. Good beer to drink while frozen rain is chilling the outside.

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a three-finger head that leaves a good lace. Cloudy amber color. Light-medium carbonation. Medium bodied. Nose is alcohol, starts with some harshness of alcohol, finish is on the sour side not what I was expecting with a triple, their dubbel and quadrupel are better. 750ml bottle for $6.99 from Hoosick St. Discount Bev, Troy, NY.

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

Light amber brown white head that falls quickly. Aroma lightly sweet sugary light fruit grapes apples on light malt with some alcohol presence. Taste is light malt candy like fruitiness light carbonation enhances the candy like sweetness finishes fruity and sweet with warming alcohol felt but not tasted. Mediumish mouthfeel. Drinkability is ok little to sweet for my taste but not to bad overall.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

This was a deep yellow brew that poured clear, but had chunks of sediment in it, even though I poured carefully.

The aroma was of sweet fruit, mostly apples, but also slightly of berries. Hints of honey were there as well. Also, there was a good amount of aromatic hop character that balanced well.

The taste was only slightly fruity, but rather hoppy (more citrus-like character). There was a slightly spicy, somewhat peppery aftertaste, and it was very warming going down.

The third beer had on La Trappe night... not as good as the dubbel or the enkel, but left me really eager to try the quadrupel. Which turned out to be the best of the lot... and I am sure it was more than the already warm and fuzzy glow I had going that led me to that determination.

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazed, bright apricot body with a small offwhite head that quickly falls into a film and collar. Very minimal lace.
Aroma is subdued, with coriander and a hint of tropical fruits like pineapple and mango.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.
Taste begins with tropical fruit and rock candy sweetness. Earthy yeast kicks in quite early and provides a prominent dryness that stays to the finish. Spices are subdued, with a note of coriander.
Basically an average tripel, but solid for style. I preferred their dubbel, in terms of overall drinkability and character.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

The 11.2 ouncer I tried said "Koningshoevan Tripel", the label is otherwise identical to the one shown in the photo, maybe some new labeling going on...anyway this tasty treat poured an amber cloudy color, white head, a fair amount of yeasty sediment in the bottle. Leaves not much lace, nose is nutty and yeasty. Rounded body, nice clove notes,spicy and and more nutty flavors. Pleasant tripel, went well with a few nuts and some bread and cheese.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper-tinged honey color with a huge head that delivers lots of Dutch lace

Smell: Toffee and candi sugar are joined by various light fruit elements (banana and pear)

Taste: Opens with the toffee and candi sugar, with light fruit and peppery spice arriving by mid-palate; some alcohol is discernable after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A very approachable tripel that strikes a lot of the right notes

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had this at Smokeless Joe's in Toronto, complete with the proper Koningshoeven chalice, which has a nice look to it. It poured darker than the Tripels I have seen, with a small amount of head, perhaps a little too cold. Aroma of cheeries, other fruits, and caramel apples. Tasted strongly of butterscotch, caramel, and bananas, with a nice smooth finish. It has a surprisely light mouthfeel for such a rich beer, and was dangerously drinkable. I think some poeple would find this too sweet, but I enjoyed this only Trappist tripel from outside Belgium.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Purchased this bottle in the Netherlands in August 2004, sampled in October 2004 in Boston.

This beer poured a clear orange/yellow body with a creamy off white head.

The nose was a very mild white wine like nose. Big fruits, apples, bananas, pears, yeast, some soft wheat, alcohol and bubble gum. Really a very simple and inviting classic triple smell.

The taste was medium to full bodied. A delicious malt, wheat, spice and simple fruit mix dominate. Rather dry with a nice earthy hop presence and somewhat bitter hop bite. Although nothing is extremely overpowering.

Basically I found this to just be a great middle of the road triple. No flavors fly in your face, none are missing. It’s simply perfectly in balance and very drinkable. It doesn’t stand out, but maybe that’s what makes it such a great beer. Simply a perfect exactly of the style.

4.53/5  rDev +15%

Chewy yummy fruity citrus yeast distilled from one of the greatest breweries. A bit sour and satisfying. Yeasty and orange and apples aroma.
Hazy white with an orange tint. Mid-sip coriander spice. Almost as good as the quad. Medium wheat grain and creme mouthfeel.

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%

This one pours a golden orange color with minimal head. The nose is very fruity, I get banana and a zesty lemon. I like the smell, but I'm not sure of it for this style. The fruityness is there in the flavor, but the malt and alcohol are pretty strong. Those flavors are all there, but there is no real harmony in them. Mouthfeel is pretty thick and a little creamy as well. With the lack of balance, the drinkability suffers. Its not a bad beer, but not the best I have ever had. I like it better than the dubbel, but I'd still pik other beers over this one.

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours an amber/orange color with a small head that quickly disappears. Sweet aroma. Fruity and maybe some caramel. The flavor is sweet like the nose with some fruityness. Spicy too. Alcohol is obvious and the strong malts are not as well balanced as I feel they should be. This was an ok beer, but I think it could be better.

La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.