La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven / Dominus)

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-30-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) Alström Bros

Hazy amber orange in colour. Moderately sized off-white head settles to a ring and doesn't give up any lace.

Aroma is sugary sweet with a touch of banana. Some yeast in there, too. Lots of alcohol, yeast and sweetness in the flavour. Hint of banana there as well. Comes across a bit like a brandy.

Okay for sipping, not one I'd want to put away a ton off. A little too sweet without really distinguishing itself in any other way.

3.02/5  rDev -23.4%

Appearance is a honey colour with fizzy head not what I was expecting

Smell was slightly grassy and some malt character not very impressive

Taste was luckily better than the smell and I quite enjoyed the taste

Mouthfeel and drinkability were OK but i wont seek this out again

3.03/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured this 750ml brown bottle into a small tulip. Solid finger head but not much retention. Highly filtered glossy light copper body. Not much visible carbonation but it works in the mouth.

The smell had me confused so I'll skip that and head to the goods. A watered down tobacco presence lies underneath and the fruitiness lays on top. This is my least favorite of the three brews I've had from this brewer for a couple reasons. First it reminds me of being in Las Vegas and having the cigarette smoke mask the brew. The tobacco/smoke background is annoying. Second, while the fruit profile is solid it gets shut down by a watered mouthfeel.

Notes: Ehhhh...It very well be a good tripel but it missed my palate and thats all I have to go by.

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A - Very dense 2.5 finger of off-white foam that lasts forever. Apricot orange and cloudy. Held to a light, sunset orange and moderately opaque.

S - Bready malts, toffee, hints of banana/clove, bubblegum, and citrus. Very pleasant nose.

T - Alcohol is pronounced; it's almost astringent and a tad sour. Lightly toasted malts, caramel, toffee notes with a hint of butterscotch as it warms. There's also a touch of spice in the background. Given how much I enjoyed the nose of this, the taste is a letdown.

M - Noticeably thinner than expected. Not much carbonation given the dense head. Decent structure, but not much body or finish.

O - Perhaps this bottle is off, but not so much that it's clear it is, especially since this is my first bottle from this brewery. The alcohol is too forward and disconnected, so it gets in the way of enjoying the flavors. There are definitely much better Trappist tripels. I might give this one another try should I run across it on tap, but it's not a selection I'll seek out.

3.06/5  rDev -22.3%

330 ML poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a light burnt orange color with tints of red in this. One finger head that was an egg shell white color. Once the head died off it became a film but brought back easily with a few swirls. No lacing at all on the glass.

S-- Clove, honey, and orange. Not as big a nose as other triples at all. Needs to be warmer for the rest of the nose to come out. Then the yeast smell does come out and there is an alcohol smell to this.

T-- Alcohol forward. Toasted or burnt yeast taste in this. Get clove in the taste as well as orange again with . Taste is more of a quad taste and not a triple as this is not that sweet at all.

M-- Warming sensation off the bat. Alcohol is very aggressive in this. Coats mouth very quickly and finishes quite dry. Warmer it gets the more powerful the burn becomes. Good carbonation in mouthfeel

D-- Very different. Will say that. Feels bigger than what it actually is ABV wise at 8%. Not as sweet and not as fruit forward as others. More of a brandy type nightcap on a cool night. One is good and more than enough. Other triples are better than this but this is worth trying once.

3.06/5  rDev -22.3%

Eye: Much the same as the Blonde, yet a bit darker. I'll go as far to venture that this one is actually a cloudy brown in color. Head is great though, creamy with great retention and good lacing.

Nose: The aroma of this brew is much like that of the Blonde. Bubblegum type aromas with some vanilla, overall sweet maltiness, yet more spiciness than the Blonde. Fruity notes are also present, as well as some clove phenols. I've smelt better.

Tongue: Right up front there is a hell of a lot of spiciness going on. Also notice in the aftertaste that same vanilla type of flavor found in the Blonde. Also some spicy character to balance out the sweet malty flavor found closer toward the end/aftertaste that was so cloying in the Blonde. However, I don't find it enough, I still find it to be cloying and hard to drink, I could not drink more than one of these in a row. Too cloying in my opinion and not enough spiciness to fill it out.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Again the body is much fuller than I expected, with what I find to be low carbonaion. Just doesn't feel right for the style. More carbonation, lighter body, and overall more balance between spiciness and malt sweetness would make this a much better brew. I don't think that I'll buy this again. To me, overall this brew just seems average, nothing to write home about. Not bad, but nothing spectacular either. Its on par, (to me it could seem cloying b/c I've not drank one of these styles in quite a while...) Would rather drink Chimay White over this brew.

3.07/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a brownish orange. It's clear, but dark enough to be opaque. The head is a bright white, not too thick but with good retention. The bubbles are all of equal size, nice looking drink.

Smells like a quality Belgian. Fruity nose from the yeast, a bit of pepper spice, flowery, with a dash of alcohol.

A big letdown. There's nothing fruity or flowery in the taste, it's all pepper and hoppy with some alcohol. It's really shaggy around the edges, lacks refinement. Doesn't taste significantly different than a fancy macro.

It's not smooth. It's got an earthy bitterness, kind of pilsner like. The spice hits hard with just a bit of heat in the finish. The finish is somewhat crisp and dryish.

I'm completely disappointed with this beer. It's not easy to drink. The tastes is below average and the spice is too much. Just not a good tripel.

3.07/5  rDev -22.1%

A: Dark for a Tripel. Darker orange brown. Made me go "hmm, that's a little odd"

S: The most tripelish thing about this beer is the smell. Has a typical musty, dried spice shop aroma. Lacks some fresh tones, like the citrusy aroma

T: Whoa, more like a double and a half than a Tripel. A little cloying - too sweet. Off balance towards the crystal malty side (at which the color hints).

M: More body than a classic tripel. Lingers and coats the mouth more - should be drier.

D: Not so much. Too sweet and heavy for a Tripel.

Summary. If I liked doubles and tripels equally as well, this would be a damn fine beer. Regardless, it misses the style by a pretty wide margin. They should change the label and call it a "5-halves" since it is exactly what I imagine a hybrid double/tripel should be.

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Ha! I guess I already reviewed this beer, I forgot! Thanks to the blog-style review I can just add my notes!

Dark copper in hue with a peachy-bronze influence, the liquid is a tad darker then I was expecting. The head was off-white in color; at the apex the foam was almost two-fingers in height. Head retention was solid; it slowly faded to a soapy cap that lasted for most of the consumption. The subsequent lacing was spotty but healthy and thick where it stuck. Overall, this beer looks enticing.

The first sniff said, “Tripel.” I love that. It is textbook but nothing more. There is perfect harmony between red apple fruitiness, mangos, bubblegum, soft caramel candy (from the malt), and spicy hops. The potency is low, I wish it was more articulate and forceful, this is a common complaint with Belgian beers, sometimes there is great complexity but it is too soft. This is the case with this beer. It is inviting nevertheless but it is far from special.

The palate is soft and frankly too sweet for a Tripel. Where are the hops? I don’t detect enough bitterness and there is a deficiency of hop flavors. The malt is very muddled, there needs to be a firmer malt backbone with a more pronounced toasty/caramel flavor. The finish is too yeasty for me; don’t get me wrong this is not Chimay (which is a yeast bomb). The yeast fruitiness is the most pronounced flavors, red apples mainly. The alcohol is hidden. Overall, the palate is very average and I am being generous. This is not a good Tripel. I’m bored with it after about half a glass. The palate is such a mess. There are few Tripels that I’ve reviewed that are worse than this. The long aftertaste won’t let me forget this fact either!

Medium in body, moderately low carbonation, the mouthfeel is sluggish which, sadly, fits the palate all too well. On the tongue it is too lazy. Food pairings? Maybe, a piece of pecan pie with vanilla ice cream.

Drinkable? Sure… if you like a mess of a Tripel. I don’t. I can’t see myself drinking this beer again. Of course, I could forget I’ve drunk this in three or four years and try it again (d’oh!). I hope not. I purchased my 750ml bottle in Parkville, MO for $3. I got ripped off.

3.1/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

330ml bottle purchased from Steve's Cool Booze in Kensington.

Pours a rather deeper hue than I expected: an amber-golden colour, that looks rather dense and syrupy. Head fizzes up quite a lot on the first pouring, but then settles back to an inauspicious film across the top. Body looks fluid, but also retaining some of the thickness initially perceived. Overall, it looks like a decent beer, but a pretty average tripel.

Nose is dusty and slightly savoury. Some green sprouting wheat characters, and a hint of dusky spice, like pepper mixed with earth. There's a noticeable booziness as well, and a suggestion of oxidation. I note the best before date is 05-2013: so it's still within that range, but towards the back end. Overall, I'm not particularly impressed.

Taste is dank and limp, with a metallic character rising on the mid palate, and a old sherry oxidised bitterness on the finish. Some spice and booze are noticeable, especially when the beer is allowed to evaporate on the tongue, but otherwise it feels flat, and rather uninteresting.

Feel is overly fizzy, despite the perception that it has burnt itself out quickly. It is light, however, belying the appearance of thickness. Some boozy heat is also present.

Overall, I'm not a big fan. This has really darkened, dampened and flattened with time, and I'm far from being enthusiastic. Indeed, this tastes a little like a mediocre homebrewer attempting a strong Belgian golden without much success. Very average indeed.

3.11/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured reddish brown with a nice foamy head.

Smells of hops with a flowery aroma. I can really smell the alcohol coming through.

Tastes hoppy sweet, bitterness as it goes to the back of the tongue.
Good mouthfeel that stimulates the taste buds and fizzes throughout the mouth. Slight bitterness
shows you how hoppy it is but it masks the alcohol quite well. I am shocked how ell it hides the alcohol.

Good beer, but I have not had a lot of Tripel's as of yet.

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

A. Golden orange with a hint of red/brown color, pours nicely with a 1.5 finger head, yeah thats right, 1.5

Smell. YEAST SON! And thats about it, smells like you just walked in to a brew house between shifts, clean, sterile, but yeasty. Maybe a slight hint of apple.

Taste. YEAST SON! yeah thats right. Decent, appley, mainly yeast with a hint of yeast!

Mouthfeel. Sweet, airy, definite carbonation.

Overall. Actually the triple is better than the quadruple, though the trip is only 8.0ABV,and the quad is sufficiently more (I believe 12ish) This has a more pure taste, I would drink this again, but still feel La Trappe is the tamest of Trappists I have had so far!

3.14/5  rDev -20.3%

An 11.2 ounce bottle served at 49 degrees. There is no date on the bottle.

The amber beers pours nicely into my chalice. I slight fluffy head, appears and but disappears just as quickly. You can see tiny bubble floating up through the brew.

This beer has a slight flora aroma without any alcohol nose.

The first sip is quite strong with alcohol and has a lingering finish. It has a spicy carbonation that feels nice on the tongue. As the temperature of the beer graduatlly warms, I am warming to the flavor. At first sip, definitely not my favorite, but now, enjoyable.

I wouldn't want to drink more than one of these at a sitting, and would recommend starting with a milder alcohol tasting beer.

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Translucent medium amber/orange colour with one finger of bubbly white head.

S - Caramel, Belgian yeast, dark fruit, brown sugar.

T - Caramel, cloves, Belgian yeast, dark fruit, spice and some noticeable alcohol. Somewhat plain.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O - A decent tripel but I found this one somewhat plain and lacking complexity.

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

This beer poured a sort of amber-orange color with a small foamy head that reduced down to a thin layer on the top, but it did leave good lacing. The aroma had several different characteristics. The citrus-banana smell jumped out the most with alcohol spices and a flowery touch. The hops were also present in the aroma. After the complex smell I was ready for a complex taste but no such luck. The taste was rather bland with none of the aromas really jumping out in the taste. I guess the most notable flavor is the hops. Sort of a grassy bittery taste but this beer isn't totally without any malt flavors. The aftertase leaves a sort of sugary taste in the mouth. Overall I didn't care for this beer to much.

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

750 ml

Clear copper color, dense off-white head, decent splotchy lace.

Smells mainly of overripe bananas and bubblegum, with sweet doughy grain, solvent, brown apple, cloves, and mild grassy hops. The banana dissipates after a few minutes, and earthy decomposing brown apple becomes dominant.

Tastes mainly of sweet grain, with brown apple, banana, solvent, clove, bubblegum. Somewhat cloying and unbalanced, but not bad. Moderately long, simple finish: sweet brown apple and cereal, solvent, and a bit of minty alcohol.

Too fizzy, then watery. Swirling renders it smooth and creamy, but it still finishes like sugar water. Nothing too undrinkable about it apart from the unbalanced sweetness and simplicity of it, but I didn't finish the bottle.

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Chilled bottle poured into a La Trappe chalice glass.

Small one fingers worth of head and only a very smal amount of lacing.

Color is somewhere between honey and tea.

Not a huge smell to the nose but what does waft across the nose is dark fruits combined with freshly baked sourdough.

Starts of smooth in the mouth but quickly moves into crisp territory. Fruit flavors and herbal spices are subdued and well hidden behind a great thick malt taste. Alcohol is subdued and doesn't interfere with the taste.

The malty flavor is a highlight for me with this one, however, this offering doesn't seem to sit well or comparable within Tripel style.

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

This beer has an amber color and is topped with a dense, rocky off-white head. Phenolic, sour, yeasty, fruity aroma. Taste includes alcohol, sour notes and yeast. There almost seems to be a stinging solvent-like characteristic also. A little off to me. Some banana esters are present. The body is about medium and drinkability is not that great. If I'm looking for a Belgian beer to drink, I'll bypass this one the next time.

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%

tried the quad a little while back and was excited to see this hit the shelves. grabbed 3 bottles so i can age two of them.

Was not impressed overall. I have had the tripel from chimay, and duvel is similar profile as a tripel, but i found this offering very boozy and i'm hoping the agin will help the other bottles.

pours like a tripel. light colored with lots of carbonation and good head with lacing.

the nose on this is a little muted. picking up all the classic aromas, belgian yeast, cloves, but all very muted.

taste is the same. picking up a lot of alchohol with muted flavors in the background. not that impressed.

3.23/5  rDev -18%

Deep cloudy orange-amber color with lots of floaties, nice foamy off white head that clings to my glass. Sweet malty spicy yeasty alcohol aroma.Bready sweet fruity flavors, the taste of alcohol is strong, sweet sticky syrupy mouthfeel, the hops are noticable in the finish, not all bad.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven / Dominus) from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.