Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

Tilburg's Dutch Brown AleTilburg's Dutch Brown Ale

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Belgian Dark Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale Alström Bros
1.68/5  rDev -55.6%

I tried this beer in bottle at the Wild Wing Café in Marietta, GA. It pours into a standard pint glass a dark murky brown with little head and very little lacing. The smell was shocking a very deep musky malt scent that didn’t set well with me. The flavor is very similar to the smell with a heavy malt taste. It’s so malty and sweet that it is cloying. It does have a bit of hop bite at the finish but this beer is way out of balance for my tastes. The mouthfeel is moderate-heavy with an unpleasant slickness. I did not like this beer and it took all my willpower to finish it. I physically shuttered on the last sip.

TheEclecticGent, Feb 20, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -54.2%

Not sure if I got a bad bottle but this beer was a drain pour. I was expecting a nice sweet brown ale however this tasted nothing like that. I am not going to even waste my time reviewing this beer, if someone ever orders one I may have to sample it to see if mine was bad, but otherwise I don't anticipate picking this up again. I love sweet beers but this was just a watery brown ale.

cheezdawg, Mar 15, 2010

doucmehu, Nov 18, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -41.8%

330ml/ 11.2 fl oz. bottle that happens to have one of the creepiest labels out there. I honestly don't know what it is nor do I want to know what it is. This creature has a face of a fly, trunk of an elephant, and a body of a human with four legs. If that's not bad enough, this creature is wearing a pot on his head. It's strapped on like he's ready to battle the norms (normal people). Let's get away from that label. The back label has the address of the brewery, US importer, US Government warning, barcode, refund values, and some kind of bin number in the top left corner. This number reads K27B7 15:55. Whatever it means, it has to use to the average consumer.

Appearance: Poured into a Lion Stout tulip glass. This Dutch Brown Ale appeared to be a dark brownish color, but when held into the light, it's actually a dark amber blended in with some cranberry red. It had a 1 1/2 to 2 inch head of white bubbly foam, but that quickly changed after about a few seconds. It dissipated away, but managed to leave behind some off white colored rings and few sopts of lace.

Smell: If I had to describe this aroma in one word, I would use "funky!" It smelled alot like sweetened tea. Not sweet tea. It was more like tea sweetened with one of those pink or blue packets. Behind that tea aroma was a hint of sweet mals. Wow! A actually beer aroma finally emerges. It's just too bad that was it.

Taste: The taste was almost as funky as the aroma. It started off with a beer aroma of sweet malts and then that was followed by tea leaves, dab of sweet dark fruits, and a slight pinch of bitter hops. What was with this beer and tea. I didn't think tea would show up in the taste, but there it was. I do have to give it to them this time. It wasn't sweetened tea, it was tea leaves.

Mouthfeel: It was a light bodied beer with a barely noticable aftertaste of sweet malts and tea leaves. I got it Tilburg's! You wanted to make a tea instead of a beer.

Drinkability: What a great tea! If it smells like tea and tastes like tea, it has to be a tea. I don't understand why they would market this a beer. They should have tried the tea market first. Best tea in a beer bottle!

AltBock, Jan 02, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -39.2%

Poured into a Delirium snifter on 11/13/12

Clear, dark brown with a rusty sheen. One and a half finger head drops rapidly, leaving a skim across the top and some lace that has clung from collar foam.

The aroma has a strong tanginess to it; some roast, but not enough to justify this much of the tangy. Underneath all that is a decent baked dark bread scent. Nutty overtones. Soft spice.

The flavor lacks the tanginess of the aroma, but there are a myriad of unpleasant flavors to take its place: bark, newspaper, cotton, even a hint of cough syrup way down in there. Spiced bread notes and herbal hops hardly make up for the bad. Fruity notions as it warms.

Medium feel with moderately lively/puffy carbonation; pretty standard. The finish is coating, though. Bummer.

Overall, not totally disastrous, but pretty rough. I'll probably have a few more drinks, but finishing the bottle isn't likely.

Ryan011235, Nov 14, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -34.4%

Bought this from a local party store because the dude working the register was pushing it at a cut rate. He raved that his customers "really liked it", but I was skeptical. Do his customers really come back to the store to tell him they just couldn't get enough of the Tilburg's they bought from him at half-price? Dubious story, but I picked it up anyway.

Took a break from work this morning to have a bottle:

A: Legit mahogany, with lots of vibrant red when held to the light. Very clear. Thin tan head with little retention. Good color-wise, but I could already tell this baby was going to be watery.

S: There was a distinct scent lingering just under the surface here that I just couldn't nail. I swirled this thing 100 times and finally ran out of time. Mildly astringent, roasty smell at first sniff. Post-swirl, I detected wax, root vegetables (parsnips?), dough and yeast. Was expecting some nuttiness perhaps, but nothing very rich in the nose here.

T: Kind of non-descript for me. Some sweet notes, some bitter notes, but nothing very distinct. This beer didn't seem too deep or complex, just kind of ho-hum.

M: Some sharp carbonation upfront that fades quickly. Finishes watery and gives you a brief, queer aftertaste that I couldn't quite identify - yeast perhaps.

Overall, didn't particularly like this and I wouldn't expect to drink it again. It is light and thin, so you could session with it, but there are lots of better options if that's what you're after.

McDosey, Dec 31, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

rderedin, Feb 25, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a dark amber ale with a tall light tan head.
The aroma is quite sweet; caramel malt and a bit of brown sugar surface.
The flavor is also quite sweet. There is a toffee presence and it seems a bit buttery.
Mouth feel is very light and a bit under carbonated.

Naes, Mar 03, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Short version:
Flat, too light-bodied. Overly sweet even for a brown ale.

Details:
This brown 11.2 oz bottle is certainly an eye-catcher. It sports an inexplicable, if not slightly unsettling, mascot and flaunts it's IMPORTED status prominently on the neck.

I didn't particularly enjoy this beer although I appreciate the style. It poured an appetizing medium brown to amber color but was rather flat without much head to speak of. Ongoing carbonation and lace were in a witness protection program.

I personally feel like this beer is way out of balance in favor of malt even for a brown ale. The smell and taste are both dominated by a mildly spicy brown sugar or caramel flavor. Hops are nonexistent or are being effectively silenced by the malt assault.

Mouthfeel was surprisingly light; belying its deep color. More body may have helped save this beer from a sub-par rating. Too sweet and too light give me the impression (true or not) of a 'cost over quality' brown ale that relies on its exotic "imported from Holland" status to move off of the grocery store shelves in America where I bought it.

This beer is quite drinkable... but for the wrong reasons. This will be the last 6-pack I buy although I'm glad (as with most beers) for having experienced all 6.

AshevilleSippin, Jan 18, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -30.4%

Well I have seen this around several stores lately and I have been very tempted, but I knew even before I opened the bottle. . .

Where are the hops, any hops would be fine, I think they used the same hops as BMC. For a brown ale even a Dutch one I would have expected better, but this is pretty bad. Taste like an extract brew steeped with crystal malt and then under hopped. I looked fine and felt fine but there was nothing interesting inside. It is drinkable but a trip to the dentist might be needed with all the sweetness this beer has.

Omit gender biased comments about similarities to vapid people of the opposite sex who happen to look nice.

Not worth it, glad I didn't pay for it.

Higravity, Feb 04, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

atrocity, May 15, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -26.5%

For starters this beer was purchased based only on the packaging. Its weird. has a bird with a pot on its head eating a naked girl with ravens coming out of her bum... my girlfriend was amused so she bought it. But I digress, this site is about taste. So, the beer was a very nice dark brown color and had a decent head. it smelt really sweet, but nothing that made you not want to drink it. once you finally get around to having a sip you are almost immediately overpowered by the sweetness of the beer. wouldn't have been so bad if that was what you were expecting... but, I wasn't... and it was too sweet in my opinion. my girlfriend complained of a plastic aftertaste, but I didn't really notice it. It had a nice mouth feel and if you like sweet beers, it should be very drinkable. Bottom line, if you like sweet, try this beer, if not... its your call.

pibbxtrasucks, May 27, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -25.1%

Serving glass: Poured from tap into a Tilburg's glass, which resembled a mini-Pils glass.

Appearance: Clear reddish brown with thick tan head and nice lacing lines coating the glass.

Smell: Very dry (almost stale and musty) dark fruit with light Belgian yeast notes of banana and clove.

Taste: Sweet fruity malts that are somewhat musty with only a very light touch of the expected Belgian funk. I can't explain the taste very well, but not sure I like it that much - one-dimensional and sickly.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium slick body, with a strange unidentifiable finish.

Drinkability: Just a strange (yet simple) beer that I would rather not have again.

bsp77, Nov 22, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle to pint glass.

This beer got the unfortunate categorization of being placed in the Belgian Dark Ale category. As a brown ale, it is creamy and smoky and pretty good. As a BDA, it is not creamy enough, poorly balanced, and a poor rendition.

There is some cane sugar, dark fruits, and sweet bread in the tastes, but it is mostly dominated by burnt milk chocolate and smoked hops. There is a pungent, sour cherry taste that rounds out the thin body's lack of yeast.

TLove, Dec 26, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance: Brown just like the label says. Off white frothy head with nice lace..

Smell: Beany and stale.

Taste: MMM! Roasty, sweet and a little bitter.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth.

Drinkability: Not bad every once and a while but it is not going to be one of my regular beers.

MTNboy, Mar 26, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -23.8%

A little lighter than a typicall brown ale. At first, I was quite impressed with the taste, I actually had the scratch out a 4.5 from my initial score. Man, this got sweeter and sweeter as I drank it to the point I almost put it down altogether. Perhaps this had to do with the particular bottle, I bought a six pack a few months back and could not recall such sweetness. Chewy almost. A small amount of lacing. The label is such an attraction as well...any theories on this one?

Backer2004, Oct 19, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -23.8%

pours a thin brown with quickly disappearing off white head.

smell is weird and artificial to me. honestly smells like a forty with caramel.

taste is a bit better. nice presence of malts but still very thin. very similiar to other commercial brown ales.

mouthfeel: thin then sticky cheeked syrupyness.

drinkability: not one of my favorite brown ales. worth a try though. fairly sessionable.

northaustin, Jan 08, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -23.8%

Mahogany coloured pour with a finger of bubbly white head, that exhibited good retention and lace. Highly phenolic nose, with strong notes of banana, mixed in with cloves and caramel. Interesting flavour... by mentioning Brown Ale in its name I end up expecting a lot of the brown ale characteristics, but this is very much a Belgian Dark Ale. Holy shit... clove city. Initially overpowering spice mingles with banana, brown sugar, and some slightly oxidised flavours. Good phenolic yeast character, but its not winning the war against the other detracting features of this beer. Sweeter than expected too. Body is okay - quite light with medium carbonation, but good for the style.

I didn't really like this beer. The cloves and oxidisation of the flavour really dominated over everything else, and detracted from the experience for me. This is definitely the biggest disappointment from Koningshoeven so far.

bobsy, May 04, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

This beer pours brown, as promised, with an off white head that lingers for a minutes or two and leaves lacing down the sides of the glass. The smell is just what is to be expected from a brown, nothing noteworthy either way. The beer's most disappointing aspect is its flavor. This is one bland brown. The typical brown ale flavors are there, but they're strangely subdued. The result is a flavor that doesn't offend, but also doesn't excite. It's a very drinkable beer, simply because there's nothing about it that would interfere with guzzling mass quantities of it. It's not strong, and it's not cloying.

This beer is decent. It would be a good beer to introduce a beginner to brown ale. It doesn't have that much to offer for the experience drinker, though.

WMBierguy, Jun 18, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -22%

Not sure about this one... aroma is like some sort of candy, with a flavor that isn't far from that either. The look of this beer is great... nice dusky red, verging on brown, with a nice fluffy head that crags up after a second or two... the flavor is average, at best... I don't shy away from funkiness in beer, but this one is too all over the place to have a good flavor profile... at the end I vaguely taste and smell grape candy on this one...

dolemite77, Dec 18, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance: Amber brown without much of a head.

Smell: Light coffee with a sweet malt aroma.

Taste: Burnt Coffee with a highly roasted malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, burnt caramel on the tongue, somewhat disappointing.

Drinkability: Not like I remembered it, I used to rave about this beer but with the price having gone up so much in the past two years, i wouldn't recommend it.

cyrock1, Feb 20, 2011

oso, Mar 13, 2014

On tap at Chancey Smith's. Deep murky brown with a nice creamy off white cap,. Nose of burnt brown sugar, caramel malts, toasted bread crust, a bit of spice. Tastes sweet, probably overly so, of brown sugar, caramel, toasty malts and rye bread. A bit of spice and sweet vanilla comes out at the finish. Overall good, but too sweet for me, and probably a bit too sweet for a brown ale, due to Belgian candy sugars. ok.

mrmanning, Feb 11, 2010
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a clear brown color with amber hues. The head is small and recedes witin seconds into almost nothing. The aroma is of caramel malt, and not much else. The taste is a bit more lively than the aroma. It is of caramel with some nice dark spices and a mil yeastiness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a disappointing beer, and I will not drink it again.

KarlHungus, Sep 13, 2007

kobeer, Jul 30, 2012
Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.