Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

Tilburg's Dutch Brown AleTilburg's Dutch Brown Ale

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Belgian Dark Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 427 | Reviews: 277
4.45/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark brown and burnt orange body with a thick layer of white pillowy head that doesn't fade easily.

S- All malt. Thick dark roasted malts give hints of caramel. To be honest, it smells like wort.

T- Tastes exactly as it smells, malty. The backbone of the malt base is the star.

M- Much thinner than it looks. I expected it to be heavy, but this one doesn't weigh you down.

O- Awesome beer, and my first Belgian Dark Ale. It's easy going, and a great example of what a great malt profile tastes like. I'd suggest this to those that are getting into beer as a novice, and want to know what these beer snobs mean when they say "malty".

3.78/5  rDev 0%

The picture on the label is from the painting "Garden of Earthly Delights" by Hieronymous Bosch. He did the painting in 1504, but if someone told you it was done by a 1960’s artist under the influence of LSD, you wouldn’t question it. Quite bizzare.

As for the beer, this is a nice smooth brown ale. Very drinkable, but certainly not a big beer. I got very little head or lacing, Slightly sweet and malty. This could definitely be a session beer. Mouthfeel is somewhere close to medium, but pleasant enough. For those who prefer malt flavors over hops, try this out. One of the tastier brown ales I've tried.

2.81/5  rDev -25.7%

For starters this beer was purchased based only on the packaging. Its weird. has a bird with a pot on its head eating a naked girl with ravens coming out of her bum... my girlfriend was amused so she bought it. But I digress, this site is about taste. So, the beer was a very nice dark brown color and had a decent head. it smelt really sweet, but nothing that made you not want to drink it. once you finally get around to having a sip you are almost immediately overpowered by the sweetness of the beer. wouldn't have been so bad if that was what you were expecting... but, I wasn't... and it was too sweet in my opinion. my girlfriend complained of a plastic aftertaste, but I didn't really notice it. It had a nice mouth feel and if you like sweet beers, it should be very drinkable. Bottom line, if you like sweet, try this beer, if not... its your call.

4.96/5  rDev +31.2%

so sad it's been retired. this was my fave brown....the label was the best.

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a nice dark chocolately brown with a touch of red. Tan head quickly dissipates with very little carbonation going on. Nothing but sweetness in smell. A remarkable similarity to grap juice in aroma. Very sweet tastes of raisins, grapes, and plums with some matliness to finish it off with some dryness. Overall a very smooth, rich, and extremely pleasent beer. Definately one of the sweetest beers I've ever tried, but it isn't overly so. Enjoyed this one very much.

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%

Clear dark amber hue...decent laces around glass. This is a tasty little brew, packed with a lovely malty taste with a little bitterness at the end. This is a very easy drinking beer, and could be one that I wouldn't mind buying again for a session beer.

3.51/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I poured this beer into my Unibroue tulip, resulting in a murky burgundy without particulates and at least two inches of heavy cappuccino-shaded head. The head settles down quickly and unevenly leaving pockets of lumpy head and sticky latticing on the rim of the glass. The initial smell is malty-sweet, with a mild candy sugar smell reminiscent of a Belgian Strong Ale, but considerably lighter. Upon pouring this beer, I also detected an unpleasant scent of burnt plastic, but as the beer warmed it went away. This beer has a rather mild, sweet and rather indistinct taste. Flavors present are sugar, dark berries and roasted grains. Tilburg’s is an enjoyable session beer and for the price is a choice option.

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours deep amber with crimson edges. In a pint glass this beer has fantastic head, three fingers at least, fades to about 1 finger by the bottom. Lacing is wonderful.

The smell is roasted and malty but with fruits, largely dark fruits like blackberry and maybe even loganberry. There is a sweet smell as well that comes on with maybe coccoa and buttery toffee.

The taste is sweet and malty, the berry undertones are a bit more pronounced than in the smell. There is also a pancakes and syrup thing, but it's very subdued... pleasant.

This beer seemed a tad overcarbonated, but that faded further down the glass. Mouthfeel was thinish, but not unsubstantial. Leaves the mouth a bit dry, but not parched.

All in all, a great brown ale if you are drinking a few pints. This could be a nice session beer in April or maybe even May. Among the best in class for the pricepoint.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Well I decided to buy one of these where I work and I enjoyed it.

It pours a pleasant dark brown rusty colory. with a head that doesn't last too long.

It smells of molasses and malt with a hint of peanuts? I had to take a strong wiff to get alot of aroma from this beer.A really unique beer considering it is a brown ale it is not what I expected. Although I was impressed a little with this beer I would as mentioned before I would not drink more than one.

The taste is unique as well I taste molasses and toffee with hints of something fruity maybe mango? Leaves a bitterness from the hops in the back of your tongue.

I really like the color of this beer looks very nice. I would buy this beer again because it is a decent beer for a decent price.

3.93/5  rDev +4%

I lost most of my notes on this one, but I felt I had to post with what I had, so delicious is this beer.

Beautiful ruby-hued brown color, with a generous head. Sweet, malty aromas, but the flavor is surprisingly crisp and mellow. No need to combine this one with food -- stands on its own for before or after dinner. Refreshing, fine carbonation. All the rich flavors of a Belgian strong dark ale, but much more drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

A= Poured crystal clear with a reddish brown hue. Okay head retention, but does have a lace.

S= Smells of carmel, biscuit, and other toasted malts. A very nice blend.

T= Clean tasting, with the smells from the malts coming through in the taste.

M= Medium bodied with high carbonation.

D= Very drinkable, a nice clean brown ale.

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

Dutch Brown Ale is medium to dark leathery brown with ruby red accents when held up to the light. About an inch of head that quickly vanished and didn't have much retention or lacing. A malty, yeasty, and nutty aroma but nothing really stood out. All very subdues and well-settled. I taste roasted malts, toffee, nuts, and maybe some chocolate. Not much bitterness. A light to medium mouthfeel with a good taste makes this a solid session brew that I found to be refreshing and a decent compliment to some chocolate chip cookies.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Received in a beer trade - drank after mowing the lawn.

Cool looking bottle has a demon image from the third panel of Hieronymus Bosch's "The Garden of Earthly Delights" triptych.

Tasty and smooth drinking - no annoying aftertaste - I liked it. Probably really good with some cheese and pretzels.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Dark reddish brown with a one finger off white head, leaves a nice lacing.

Smell: Malty and sweet

Taste: Like the smell, malty and sweet, a little bit of bitterness in the finish

Mouth-feel: surprisingly light, mild carbonation

Drinkability: I could drink a few of these in a sitting.

2.53/5  rDev -33.1%

Bought this from a local party store because the dude working the register was pushing it at a cut rate. He raved that his customers "really liked it", but I was skeptical. Do his customers really come back to the store to tell him they just couldn't get enough of the Tilburg's they bought from him at half-price? Dubious story, but I picked it up anyway.

Took a break from work this morning to have a bottle:

A: Legit mahogany, with lots of vibrant red when held to the light. Very clear. Thin tan head with little retention. Good color-wise, but I could already tell this baby was going to be watery.

S: There was a distinct scent lingering just under the surface here that I just couldn't nail. I swirled this thing 100 times and finally ran out of time. Mildly astringent, roasty smell at first sniff. Post-swirl, I detected wax, root vegetables (parsnips?), dough and yeast. Was expecting some nuttiness perhaps, but nothing very rich in the nose here.

T: Kind of non-descript for me. Some sweet notes, some bitter notes, but nothing very distinct. This beer didn't seem too deep or complex, just kind of ho-hum.

M: Some sharp carbonation upfront that fades quickly. Finishes watery and gives you a brief, queer aftertaste that I couldn't quite identify - yeast perhaps.

Overall, didn't particularly like this and I wouldn't expect to drink it again. It is light and thin, so you could session with it, but there are lots of better options if that's what you're after.

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer had a beautiful color and good head retention. Nose is malty and sweet, and the initial taste is the same. Unfortunately the beers characteristics disappears quickly. Not that it should be the goal of a beer drinker or a characteristic of a good beer, but one could probably get really drunk off of this Tilburg offering. It's maybe a little too sweet for it's own good -- and definetly more sweet than most brown ales.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

A: Pours a rich, dark reddish-brown. Nice head with some lacing, but it disappears after a minute or so.

S: I don't get much on the aroma - some malty sweetness, and that's about it.

T: Sweet, maybe even a tad raisin-esque, a kiss of bitterness on the back of the tongue as it finishes - otherwise rather plain.

M: Pretty thin, a little too much carbonation.

D: Very drinkable if so inclined - I'd want a little more complexity myself.

4.04/5  rDev +6.9%

A - The color is a dark amber. It pours with quite a bit of carbonation. The head is a dark tan and pretty thick.

S - The smell is very pronounced. It took me a while to place the smell but it is like grape candy(now and laters). I enjoy the smell very much.

T - Tastes malty and sweet with a carbonation kick. The hop balance is not bad. I think the grape or fruitiness comes through as a flavor component.

M - The mouthfeel is light with bubbly carbonation. This beer is not heavy at all.

D - I like this beer a lot. I think I could drink a few no problem.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

My friend suggested the Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale to me while we were at a bar. I was a little hesitant because I don't typically go for darker beers. But I thought I'd give it a try. Wow! I was blown away. This is easily one of the best beers I've ever had. It was dark, but it didn't taste like a dark beer. The color is just a few shades lighter than molasses. It was very smooth and had subtle notes for chocolate. The beer just takes over your taste buds with heavenly delight. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone.

3.89/5  rDev +2.9%

Wow. An interesting package for an interesting beer. The brewery appears to be the same Trappist Brewery the produces La Trappe, later renamed Koningshoeven in Minnesota. Billed as a Dutch Brown Ale, Tilburg's pours with a beautiful rusty brown color and a frothy light brown head that lasts. The fine carbonation is lively on the tongue and will revive the head with a simple swirl.

Flavors include caramel, orange, allspice? and hints of cocoa? Finish is failry long with a distinct nutiness. Well balanced hops throughout peeking through in the mid palate and again on the finish. This beer is incredibly pleasant and drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

The appearance of this beer is a rich brown amber.The taste has a rich roasty creaminess I think stems from the small bubbles and sweetness of the beer. The flavor eminates through your nose while setting on your tongue and clings to your you pallet.

Its a flavorful yet light beer.

1.79/5  rDev -52.6%

Not sure if I got a bad bottle but this beer was a drain pour. I was expecting a nice sweet brown ale however this tasted nothing like that. I am not going to even waste my time reviewing this beer, if someone ever orders one I may have to sample it to see if mine was bad, but otherwise I don't anticipate picking this up again. I love sweet beers but this was just a watery brown ale.

4.46/5  rDev +18%

I had the pleasure of enjoying this beer last night with some buddies at Bj's Brewhouse in the great Houston Texas. Knowing an Ashton cigar was coming later in the evening I opted for the Tilburg Dutch with hopes that a little sweetness might match well with the spice of a classic Ashton. Indeed I was right! This is a good beer.

Serving Type - Bottle pleasantly poured into a Tulip Glass
Appearance - Dark Plum, light head, slight lacing
smell- fruity, hints of grape juice (not grapefruit) and slight roasted malts
taste - light, crisp, "winey".
Mouth feel - good, slightly stingy with regard to balanced flavor of malts, hops and the fruitiness.
drinkablity - Very, Very strong, flows nicely off the palette

One of the more unique beers I've ever had.

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%

This beer was bought to try something new. We were pleasently surprised it was an easy drinking brown ale.
It is light in body wiht a dark brown color. Light hop aroma in the nose Sweet malty taste with a clean finnish. It also has slight caramel and chocolate taste and sweet but not overly cloying.
It is an easy drinking beer.

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%

A - dark with a white head, medium head retention, nice lacing
S - very malty with fruity and caramel esters
T - sweet and caramely with a nice yeast flavour at the end
M - Medium body with medium carbonation
D - great brown ale, easy to drink and with lots of flavour

Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.