Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale - Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.

Tilburg's Dutch Brown AleTilburg's Dutch Brown Ale

Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Belgian Dark Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale Alström Bros

11.2 oz poured into Das Festhaus pint

A: Beautiful deep clear reddish brown with a nice 2 finger off-white head. Nice bubbles, leaving decent lacing.

S: Sweet, maybe prunes, dates or raisins. I can't pick up chocolate or caramel.

T: Malty, with a lingering sweet raisiny touch. I think the roasted taste is perfect, not too overpowering.

M: Medium body, not too thin. Although it starts sweet, it leaves no sweet aftertaste of thick feel in your mouth.

D: Very good beer, with a certain complexity, yet not trying too hard to be something it isn't.

I really like this beer, even though I normally don't drink sweeter beers. This one was very good. The label is a nice conversation piece. A bird eating a person and the person has birds coming out of his ass ?!?!?

guinnessfan, Oct 26, 2006

thisladyluck, Jan 07, 2012

H0rnedFr0gs, Jun 15, 2012

GoGata, Dec 05, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

Bought a sixer of this shortly after it first arrived in AL. I've been putting off reviewing it because i kept hoping it would grow on me. Alas, it has not. This is either my last bottle, or next to last.

Anyway, it has a nice creamy head that leaves some lace down the glass. Nice appearance. Smell is good, nothing to fawn over.

Taste is pleasant, but unremarkable. A bit sweet. Hops are very reserved.

Yeast doesn't taste very Belgian to me. If i was doing a blind tasting on this, i would've guessed English Brown Ale.

Decent and drinkable, but pretty unremarkable. I wish the occasional new beer that slipped into AL like this was something extraordinary, rather than the ordinary such as this.

Oh well.

Bonhoeffer, Aug 30, 2005

BeerTruck, Oct 24, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

A -- A dark garnet brown brew that pours to a three finger khaki head and recedes into a thin skim, leaving spots of lacing.

S -- Candied apples, plum and dark berries, backed by a light earthy caramel tone.

T -- Plum and grape, almost nutty like almond butter, toasted malt character with an essence of toffee and some bready qualities. Seems a little sour and slightly bitter on the finish.

M -- Medium bodied, moderately carbonated, a little dry on the end.

D -- Very interesting, and very nice. I would recommend this brew to anyone looking for something that is decidedly different.

CPeterson, Apr 28, 2011

Thullin187, Jul 06, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Dark amber colored with a small off white head that leaves decent lacing around the glass.

S: Dark fruit a little spicy leads to a sour note.

T: A lot like it smells. Almost like a rollercoaster. sweet then sour then back to the sweet.

M: Medium bodied with a slight creaminess

D: Easily drinkable. Not my first choice but wouldnt be my last choice either. I'd say this is what Newcastle's big brother would probably taste like!

drgonzo3705, Jan 16, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

allenc85, Jun 29, 2013
3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a somewhat clear dark red to brown color with a fairly long lasting tan brown foamy head.

Has a deep chocolate and caramel scent with a fruit overtone and a hint of nut and raisin.

Interesting, an off-caramel taste with a grape flavor that adds to the beer. More bitter than sweet and more so than expected.

Medium mouthfeel and slightly heavy.

Pretty smooth. Nothing outstanding but worth trying.

TheBear11D, Jan 31, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

I really like this beer. there is a multitude of flavors involved. most notably its malty. I drank this right after having a shiner bock, which i did not enjoy at all, so my opinion may be somewhat scewed. For me, it seems rare that a beer is really tasty and easy to drink. Most beers (darker the better) that i enjoy tend to limit themselves to a few drinks before they become overwhelming and there isn't much point in eating anything else. however, this beer leaves a clean and subtle feeling and is therefor very easy to drink. I would love to try this one out of the tap. Its definately worth a buy.

andrewm190, Jul 16, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +4%

Review from notes:

The beer pours a deep ruby brown out of the bottle with a tannish head, retreats rather quickly with nice stickiness and lacing. The smell is sweet and malty. The beer is smooth and creamy with the first taste. Malty and sweet, with some toasted notes and toffee. Great beer, a little sweet but smooth and tastey overall

beersensei305, Dec 05, 2010

TheResidentialOP, May 31, 2012

vegasmac99, Jul 01, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz.

Pours a deep amber-brown with small, rapidly dissipated, white head. Leaves a pretty decent lacing. Fruity and sweet nose that is heavy of malt, I didn't notice hops at all. Taste is almost all malt, slight toasty with a bready/biscuity finish.

Considering the 6-pack was $5.99, this is a great value beer.

Oh yeah, and that label is great....WTHeck?

edit: I found out the label is from Jeroen Bosch’s masterpiece "The Garden of Earthly Delights"

Detail here:

specific panel with the image:

This is on display at Museo del Prado in Madrid. I had never need this guy's work before this beer....but I really like it!

hobbes2112, Sep 23, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a brown bottle. The orange label appears to feature a bird-person with a kettle on its head eating a human.

A: Deep copper. Poured with a egg white head that leaves ample lacing. Even leaves sheeting on the glass.

S: A piney, malty smell with - and I know this sounds bad but it's really not that bad - airplane glue. Sugary. Some raw sugar smells

T: Even though it's not that high, I pick up on an alcohol presence. Dark fruits. Plum skins. Candied rasin. Some black cherry. Gives way to a small bananna presence with some floral hops and then ends dry and with a touch of bitter.

M: Silky and watery. Very much what I would expect from the style.

D: Probably a bit too complex to be too drinkable by nature.

Overall: Man, how mislead I was by the label. This beer has everything I'd expect from a Belgian Dark, but really threw me off by the "brown ale" on the label.

sevineyes, Mar 09, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

This beer pours brown, as promised, with an off white head that lingers for a minutes or two and leaves lacing down the sides of the glass. The smell is just what is to be expected from a brown, nothing noteworthy either way. The beer's most disappointing aspect is its flavor. This is one bland brown. The typical brown ale flavors are there, but they're strangely subdued. The result is a flavor that doesn't offend, but also doesn't excite. It's a very drinkable beer, simply because there's nothing about it that would interfere with guzzling mass quantities of it. It's not strong, and it's not cloying.

This beer is decent. It would be a good beer to introduce a beginner to brown ale. It doesn't have that much to offer for the experience drinker, though.

WMBierguy, Jun 18, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

Tilburgs is a good beer with interesting flavor qualities. It is almost as if the brewery has mixed the complicated flavors of Flemish browns with a lighter bodied typical Dutch beer.

A - Dark brown, caramel color

S - Sweet, malty, spicy

T - Lightly spiced, caramel flavored

M - Full bodied, just right

O - My go to brown ale and the only one produced in Holland that I know of.

Theshooster, Dec 10, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

bbeerman, Mar 09, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

25 Feb 07

I came back to this brew because I remember I like it. But I guess through many many beers it still pretty good. I was just hoping that it had a greater effect like the last time I had it. I gave it a good score because it needs recognition.

Nutty dark brown beer

Head was thick but didn't last long so you better be quick about it.

Taste is being alter because I think I saw the yeast from the bottom slide in with the beer. So it has the yeast present a little.
Label is really has a picture that I don't understand the meaning too. Maybe a female can interrupt it.

mortarit, Feb 26, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours an amber, purplish color with light to medium head and little to no lacing. Smells of fresh fruit and caramel and a hint of a nutty scent. Tastes much of the same...I taste strawberry and grape in the mix along with all of the standard brown ale fair. Very smooth...goes down easy. Unlike some of the other reviews, I could drink a few of these easily. Depending on your taste, if you can't deal with a fruity, sweet ale then stay away from this one.

rustymoore, Jan 31, 2006

Pours a rich ruby brown, with a frothy tan head. The nose is dark fruits, chocolate, funky belgian yeast, wood. Taste is sour wood, bittersweet dark chocolate, a hint of light alcohol, and a touch of blonde roast coffee. Great brown ale - not sure what I think of it as a dark belgian though. Definitely has the belgian yeast funk, but really drinks like a brown ale. Good stuff though.

kingjames1, Aug 20, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -14%

Appearance: light brown mahogany, slightly transparent, white creamy heady with good foam and residual lacing.

Smell: malts, brown sugar, and molasses

Taste: a light brown ale, sweet but not overly toasty malts that are kept in check by the hops.

Mouthfeel: watery, slightly carbonated.

Drinkability: This beer is decent. I prefer more malt in my brown ale. If you want a brown ale that is not too heavy on the palate is a good beer for you. Very reminiscent of Newcastle's Brown Ale in my opinion.

beersheppard, Aug 25, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +15.9%

This beer pours a nice brown and amber color with very little head. The smell is of caramel and malt, very sweet. The flavor is the same as the nose, lots of malty caramel flavor, but not so sweet as to be disgusting. The mouthfeel is light, but leaves a nice coating on your tongue. This is a very drinkable beer, it almost reminds me of some German styles.

RedSpecial1, Jan 25, 2011
Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale from Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V.