Jake's ESB - Sly Fox Brewing Company

good

Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: oberon on 05-26-2003)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured a deep amber/brown color with a nice big sticky head.Smell was very malty and slightly fruity.Taste is malty and somewhat chocolaty with some fruity background,slighty dry finish to this big malty beer.Very impressive I had to get a growler of this one to bring home,really really liked this one.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

A clear, deep-copper colored body is capped by a short head of creamy white foam that holds well and leaves some spotty lacing about the glass. The nose is limited but suggests a mildly caramelish malt and some delicate hops. The body is medium; and it's lightly crisp in the mouth due to its fine, median carbonation. The flavor picks up where the aroma left off, and delivers the lightly kilned caramel malts promised; backed by a firm bitterness and some floral and grassy hops. It's very english in nature with the exception that it lacks a bit of fruitiness and delivers an "American" carbonation for the masses. I'd love to try this beer from a cask!

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Many thanks to Maryann for picking me up a growler of this.Thanks Babe!

I was in the mood for a ipa and the brewpub didnt have any that appealed to me so I chose the esb.

Now im not a huge fan of the style.Im always looking for that "one" beer to break me through and I think this beer may have.

Pours a clear brown body with a nice small white head.Not much carbonation going on there.

I smell some fruitiness and some hops.The smell is very good,really enjoyable.

Taste is sweet but not overly sweet with a strong bitterness at the end of the sip.Im was shocked that this was so bitter.Its a clean malty taste before the bitterness.

It has a nice mouthful,feels over carbonated.

This beer is a instant session beer for me.Im on my thrid pint and I still feel fine.I would have this again and thanks to Jake.Whoever you are.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

This poured an ultra clear and “true” amber color. Like a bright and shiny gem. Good carbonation, small white head that thinned to a film after the first sip. The aroma yields pleasantly sweet caramel notes and some bitter apple/fruits. The taste is very pleasant, lively and flavorful. Bitter in the finish, but satisfying throughout. Nice balance of sweet and bitter. The malt body lurks just under the surface and the alcohol is hidden. I enjoyed it. Another fine beer from Sly Fox. They usually don’t disappoint.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Dark amber with a short, off-white head composed of fine bubbles. Sheets of lace were left behind as the beer disappeared. Pleasant maltiness in the aroma balanced by a bit of fruitiness and floral hops with a citrus accent. Medium bitterness with a solid malty, caramel backbone. Floral/citrus hop flavour with a bit of fruit and nut character as well. There's also a hint of toffee that lingers through the finish. Medium to light body and carbonation. The texture was nice, but there was a hint of syrupiness. Easily quaffable, fairly mild all around, and well done.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

This is a nice and solid ESB, which falls short of being very good or great. I got this in a sampler at the brewery. It didn't come with much of a head, but we'll let this pass since it was in a 5 oz. glass.

The only weakness in this beer was its taste, which honestly speaking wasn't too bad. First, the hops wasn't the type of hops I would normally place into a ESB. I believe it was Cascade or a similar style of hops. That's a preference thing, and I prefer a different hops.

The major flaw in the taste however was a lack of a malt flavor to balance out the hops. I didn't feel the hops was too strong. The malt flavor was definitely lacking.

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

What a treat in my imperial pint glass: a lovely dark amber with a tight tough foam head. Some lace through the session. Glowing and clear like a good ESB, sitting well in the glass it demands.

Smells of grass, dry straw, clover smoke, opening to spicy toffee and an earthy cherry scent. Nice range, had better, but definitely good. Very British with the large grassy hops.

The lick of caramel to start is wonderful, then falls into green, chewy hop oils, with fresh floral flavors dripping with Golding juice. Has a soft chalk dryness balanced by tasty bitters. Some small notes of fruit esters and roasty malt. In sum, just about all I ask from a good and extra special, to me, Bitter. Dead-on full mouthfeel with no carbonation - couldn't ask for much more in this department, except if it could be from a cask.

Almost balanced, easy, delectable, and drinkable. The purpose and joy of a good ESB, accomplished.

3.33/5  rDev -9%

Color was a brown/amber, very clear, lots of carbonation bubbles racing to the top. Nose was restrained for the most part but I did detect the faint aroma of grassy hops. Perhaps served a bit too cold? Taste was, to me, astringent. Very little residual sweetness could be detected, which I happen to like. Otherwise, a solid ESB. Flavors of lightly roasted malt, caramel and soft hops keep the taste buds happy. I felt that the ale could have a little more malt "ooomf", it came off almost a little watery. Note that as the beer warmed a bit, things improved nicely. I really think the beer was served via tap just a bit too cold, muting any real distinguishing characteristics. That being said, I enjoyed it and would recommend it as well.

Jake's ESB from Sly Fox Brewing Company