Slacker Bock - Sly Fox Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Bock |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 06-16-2005)
John_M

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Had this on draft at TJ's Everyday yesterday.

The beer pours an interesting dark brown color, albeit with not a lot of head retention and very little lacing. I don't get a lot from the nose, maybe some roasted malt flavor, but on the dry side. This does not smell as if it's going to be a sweet bock (which it's not).

I was talking to the owner at TJ's (Jeff) about bock's in general, and he consulted his guide. Both of us sort of noted that the term seemed to have little real meaning in today's brewing world, and stylistically they (bocks) seem to be all over the map. He mentioned that based on how his guide describes a bock, the slacker really doesn't seem to qualify. I mentioned that it reminded me much more of dry, roasty dunkel, and he agreed with that suggestion. Whatever, this is an interesting beer, whatever you want to call it.

On the palate the beer is quite dry tasting, with some roasted grain flavors, almost a hint of licorise. The abv. is pretty well disguised and the beer is pretty drinkable. I guess I wish it had a bit more flavor, as it struck me as bit light and somewhat one dimensionable. Not a bad beer, but I can't way it wowed me either.

06-10-2007 16:17:36 | More by John_M
AltBock

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

This Bock was on tap at the Phoenixville location on 5/9/2009, but instead of drinking it there, I took this one home with me in one of their 64 oz growlers. I had to pour this beer into my Sly Fox Imperial pint glass.

"Slacker" poured a beautiful dark copper amber color with a small tint of cherry red mixed in with it. Great color!! You have to see it for yourself to appreciate it. The head of foam was almost as nice as the beer's color. This head of foam was cream colored and between 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch in height. It had good retention that left behind a big string of cream colored rings and a few blots of lace around the glass.

Not much of an aroma to this beer. The aroma was lightly malty with toasted malts and with some minor hop and fruit notes in the background. Swirling the beer around will only increase the scent of the juicy fruits.

The taste of this Bock was slightly dry and more fruity than toasted. It was toasted too, but I could tell that the fruits wanted to be in the spotlight more. Behind the fruits were the lightly toasted malts with a smidgeon of black pepper and a small taste of fruity hops. In other words, it was a nice fruity Bock.

This was a light to medium bodied Bock with a faint fruity aftertaste of juicy fruits, toasted malts, and a gentle touch of fruity hops.

I like my Bocks chewy with a good amount of either toasted or roasted flavors, but this one was a nice change of pace. It was very easy to drink. That could be a positive or a negative thing. In fact, it was good and so easy drink, I didn't have any problems drinking a whole growler of this beer. I know I probably shouldn't have done that, but I did it anyway.

05-11-2009 16:00:28 | More by AltBock
Drknight

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

04-30-2014 02:42:04 | More by Drknight
Deuane

3.88/5  rDev -1%

A-Deep copper with a medium light tan head that reduced and left spotty lace.

S-Light, but present, caramel malt sweetness and a touch of brown sugar/maple syrup.

T-Sweet caramel and very clean. A touch of toastiness and hint of brown sugar. Not overly complex but it all comes together to form a very tasty brew.

M-Medium body, smooth and clean. Not much in the way of lingering flavours, but this is what I expect.

D-A solid if slightly dull brew. A smooth beer that takes little effort to drink. I am sure it would be easy to put down tankard after tankard of this one!

05-04-2009 13:14:31 | More by Deuane
weeare138

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Appears a dark copper with medium amounts of carbonation. The small white head dissapears quickly and there is minimal lacing.
Smell is of sweet biscuits and caramel, along with pronounced Vienna/German malts in the aroma.
Taste is sweet and medium bodied with some mild sour notes mixed into the slight fruitiness.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation. Seems to spread accross the palate well.

Finger licking good.

06-16-2005 18:41:50 | More by weeare138
Slatetank

05-16-2013 16:32:30 | More by Slatetank
blitheringidiot

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at the Grey Lodge Publick House.

Pours a deep russett brown with some glints of violet light escaping.

Scents are deep malty goodness. Solid Germanice malts at play. Just overall welcome malts.

First swigs: What a clean bock. Deep maple malts and clean as a whistle toasted wheat goodness. Some yeasty cleanliness compliments the brew.

Mouthfeel is solid for the style. If this can't be enjoyed at the brewpub, The Grey Lodge is the next best thing.

Last swigs: The last time I was able to try this was at the newer Royersford Brewpub. It is as delicious now as then. Brian O'Reilly is a top notch brewer and the SlyFox name continues to be a Gold Standard. More of my duckets go to Sly Fox. This stuff was so good that two growlers went home with me and my buddy Cormac.

Beer is good. Happy LOCAL beering.

07-03-2005 05:39:51 | More by blitheringidiot
sholland119

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

07-22-2014 11:59:30 | More by sholland119
Slacker Bock from Sly Fox Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.