Phoenix IPA - Sly Fox Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: jbsteiny on 05-14-2007)
Reviews by Paulkasykes30:
3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the 2007 Sly Fox IPA Project Day...
Appears a transparent orange toned amber with a small white head that slowly fades out into a mild cap. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of light tangerine, orange zest, grapefruit, funky earthiness, wet hay, and light caramel.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a strange herbal tea and funky lemon zest bitterness stinging the palate after the initial hint of sweetness from the caramel malts.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, mostly balanced with the exception of the funkiness found in this beer. Probably not the greatest hop to do a single hopped IPA with but a decent effort, nonetheless.

According to the website, this is a special IPA made with 100% Phoenix hops, a UK hop that can range from spicy to bitter. Given the bitterness of this brew, I’m assuming they picked a batch that were very high on the alpha acid range. I think it might age well, which they are suggesting on the website, but at this point, I feel like it’s too unbalanced towards bitterness. Some more malt definitely could have helped this beer out.

I got a pint of this at The Waterfront Ale House, where the chalkboard indicated that this was a special beer for Sly Fox’s 10th anniversary. (Is this true?) It poured a dark red-amber with a nice half-inch of off-white head that left a bit of lacing on the glass. Smelled of caramel, toasted malts and strong earthy, bitter hops. A bit out of my expected range for an IPA (I think I’ve been ruined by Stone and other uses of citrus and fruity hops), but interesting – think of an extra strong ESB.

Unfortunately, as I’ve said, the palate is overwhelmed by the bitterness of the Phoenix. The caramel is never given a chance, poor thing. Reminds me a bit of this year’s Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, which I also found disappointing. Medium body with a nice tingle, bitter finish. I consider myself to be a bit of a hophead, but I think either the Sly Fox brewers went overboard with the bitterness here or these kegs were meant to be aged a few years… Had a hard time finishing my pint with so many delicious beers all around me.

Phoenix IPA from Sly Fox Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.