Horizon IPA (2008 IPA Project) - Sly Fox Brewing Company

Horizon IPA (2008 IPA Project)
No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Biscuit033 on 02-10-2008)
3.55/5  rDev n/a

On-Tap...

Served into a pint glass.

A- Golden amber color, translucent for an IPA. Nice little white head, lacing is there too.

S- Smell was somewhat citrus-like, really earthy and bitter.

T- Taste left something to be desired. I found the taste to be simple. Some malt there, but it was watery with a small bitter hop punch in the end. The hops that were there were grassy/biscuity/and earthy- slight citrus kick.

M- Went down really smoothly. This was light bodied for an IPA, not much going on in the mouthfeel.

D- I could drink a few of these in a sitting, but it didn't knock my socks off. Not bad!

3.9/5  rDev n/a

Pours a clear amber/copper color with a white head. Flavor is salty and earthen. Calms down after the first bit. Grassy tones are evident. And the citic tone there leaves as it warms. Definitely more along the salty edge. Feel has a nice carbonation to it and the liquid is good. For what it is (basically, an experiment), this is pretty interesting. Not sure I can say it is my absolute favorite from the IPA Project, but it isn't too bad really. Certainly pleasant enough to drink, though I feel like I want to put some food along side of it. Or maybe it's just that I'm hungry. Dinner time!

3.95/5  rDev n/a

OK, so I received this bad boy as my part of the February Growling at the Moon GIF. I have only had one previous offering from Sly fox, but was quite impressed with it, so I figured I would try this one out. Now I also have to make note, this is the first offering in their 2008 IPA project, which I did not know about until after I had received this, but that only has really piqued my interest and I would love to take part in sampling all of them. Now I had this sixty-four ounce monster in my fridge for a couple days before finally giving it a try on Friday night. I polished it off over the course of about six hours at various different temperatures from right out of the fridge, until almost room temperature. All pours were done in a Middle Ages imperial pint glass.

A - Poured into my glass a very nice amber color. Nice hints of orange in the color as well, giving it a good bit of copper sheen. A bit cloudy at first, but it settled out rather quickly leaving behind a somewhat clear copper colored liquid. A very nice three-inch high layer of white foam then rose up over the top of it. Very well rounded and full of pillow like fluff, this thing was going absolutely nowhere. After a couple of minutes it finally decided to settle down a bit and left behind nice touches of web like lace down the insides of the glass, that gave it a good coating after a few minutes. The carbonation was very much apparent in the chains of bubbles that were rippling skyward looking to replenish an already thick head of lace across the top. Overall pretty standard for the look of the good IPA's. Nice color and a good lively appearance.

S - The aroma was very pleasing, and quite a bit different then most of the IPA's I am used to. Had more of an English smell to it. Now really the sharp biting hops you find in most west coast varieties, rather this were a very nice earthy, mellow aroma. Slightly bitter, but more sweet then anything. A light pine aroma mixed in with adequate amounts of sugar really made it quite pleasing. A hint of grass lurking in the back as well, really punched it through and seemed to make all the difference in lifting this one up. Definitely a heavy sweet smelling IPA.

T - The flavor was really done quite well I have to admit. It was extremely well balanced, having lots of malts coming through even in the first few sips. Again, this was not you big mouth watering west coast IPA, this was done quite a bit different, and really let you see the difference between the different styles of hops that can be used. Started out with a somewhat muted piney like flavor which was quickly enveloped in a deep wrapping of sweet malts. Some nice flavors of bread and cereal used to compliment the hops very nicely. A slight bit of a banana like flavor came up next, really pushing the flavor to the e forefront and showing what the hops could do. A very nice and long drawn out finish, puckered the lips slightly and started to add a more floral component to the overall profile. A nice lingering orange flavor then took over to round it out nicely. A fine example of an IPA.

M - The mouth feel was very full for the style, and definitely fell into the medium-bodied style. A nice thick coating texture to it, definitely did not leave you feel dull. This was a very nice little bit of an ale here. Carbonation that is more then adequate stood with it very well, and even the last sip had a little bit of froth left to it. Very well, put together.

D - Again not much I can say here, except that I finished the growler, but the 7% ABV did catch up with me after a while, that was for sure. There was a nice bit of flavor to this one, good carbonation, and not a generally filling component to it, so I could easily see my self-making this an all night drinker for sure, and already have.

Overall not bad at all. Normally I would not have maybe tried this variety, but I am glad I did. A hope blend that I normally might find a tad dull, really showing me how good it could be. A very nicely done ale and I really look forward to being able to try the rest of the series.

3.78/5  rDev n/a

A: Clear dark gold with two finger of head with minimal retention and lace.

S: Grass, earth, and slight pine.

T: Grassy, piney, bready malts, quite bitter even in the taste.

M: Bitter and hoppy but not oily, good carbination and a clean bitternessthat just hangs on the tongue.

D: This is a good example of a varietal IPA. It is something the hopheads would enjoy. At 7% something a bit high for a sesion but still something you could have a few of.

Horizon IPA (2008 IPA Project) from Sly Fox Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.